Mt Wills love

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Budgiesmuggler, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Good to see Mt Wills getting some snow love!

I spent a lot of winters here as a kid. Photo from a friend

2. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

K9 paradise!

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Not entirely. Dogs on a leash only so not entirely paradise if you obey the rules. Omeo Hwy still closed. Apart from the heavy snow there are trees down. No getting to Mt. Wills at the moment. Most of the snow at the Tallangatta ski club will be gone in a few days anyway. A friend of mines father was one of the builders of that hut and he died not long ago in his nineties.

Budgiesmuggler and Chaeron like this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Is this a thread fantasising about the Duchess of Cambridge?

5. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yes, leash.......as you say.
    I've been there (Summit hut) 3 times in winter. Never seen another person. Really is an escape.

6. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Not sure about the highway but friends were there on the weekend, in from mitta

7. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I heard there were a few at the lodge on the weekend. A friend of mine had a cuppa with them. The road closed on the weekend but they would have been able to get out. After the big dump nobody is getting through and I know of at least one big tree down. Many inexperienced punters think they can go that way when The Great Alpine road is closed but none carry a chainsaw and few carry chains. The fact that is was not opened yesterday indicates there must be a lot of work for the crew to do or the plough broke down. Conditions yesterday would have required proper high clearance 4wd with chains and a chainsaw to get in or out of Mt. Wills. It is a great place but when the snow is really good there it may be hard to get to or out of. There was a thread a while back started by Mr. T which went through all this but I can't find it now.

Attempts were made in the early days to make Mt. Wills a ski resort. The road was cut to the summit and governments petitioned. In the end they built the lodge near the highway and gave up on the idea. I have an old report that states Mt. Wills is not suitable for a resort. You won't see large numbers of people there in winter and that is a good thing but you may see a few locals and some deer hunters from time to time. To ski it you would need to be happy with dodging trees and granite rocks. I love the mountain and agree with Plowking but it is not for everyone.

8. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

My dad was president of the club for a few years and I remember people skiing there in the 90s but cover was always marginal.

The ski resort we actually supposed to be the other side of the mountain but government would not push the road in. Eventually they did approve the resort but it was too late by then and it never happened

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

A track still goes to the summit. A bit rough. Drove it a few times earlier in the year doing volunteer AAWT clearing work.

I've also done some vehicle track clearing for Parks prior to the spring reopening and can say the average chain saw can readily be defeated up there.

10. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Yeah the plan was to widen and seal it for the resort.

11. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

The Plowking likes this.
  12. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Good work on the clearing. Saw you camped at Big River and the work your team did was great. Met the doctors on their walk after that. I can concur about the chainsaw. If you are in luck you can clear the crown enough to get around with a small saw but I usually carry my big one and sometimes two. Then there is the knowing how to use it without getting it stuck. If it is a matter of going somewhere and the tree is big then I just go home and let Vic Roads handle it just as we did Monday. It is a long way to Mt. Wills for most people so the prospect of being turned around or getting stuck may deter some. I know of some blokes who came across a big tree down and turned around only to find another had fallen behind them. It was a long walk to Glen Wills.

13. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

The carnage on the Omeo Hwy was obvious. Dozens of trees and branches down. A local cut his way through Monday by the light of the moon. He started in daylight. Not sure why it took 5 days to open the road but the plough was no good on its own and they had to bring a grader up. A couple of cars stuck on the road up to the Tallangatta lodge but they managed to get out in around 3 hours. Snow on Wills was not great but the rain had compacted it somewhat. Anyone wanting to ski this mountain would be best off booking the Glen Wills retreat which is only a short drive to the gate. Let the locals look after you and keep you safe. I suspect the base will be a bit thinner with the rain coming this week. Lots of rocks and bushes still exposed.

Wally81 likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Thanks Xplora.
    Yeah, we have one guy in the club with a lot of saw experience and it's a marvel what he can do.
    Avoiding jamming is certainly important and we've had occasions when the 'rescue' saw gets jammed too :eek: .
    And avoiding sending a half ton log careering down a track is essential!

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Warning for sheep graziers are to be taken seriously especially around 'Mt Wills...

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

We will assume Mulhauser Saddle Approach via Snowy Log Rd from the Bogong Saddle on Omeo Highway is stuffed due to fallen trees and snow fall on the section on the Mulhauser Forrest Rd.:oops:

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Having two saws is essential for this work....and we find it good to have old bars for both saws....drop stuck bar put on old one and spare chain and your back in action. Bears multiple cut 80pc of wood thickness then we work out where to cut to drop elevated Log...with final cut.Must use plastic wedges..work out it maybe better to drop Log onto a pole on road so you can roll the massive block.

Climbing up on top of bank is always a prick but may be necessary.....make sure what's going to happen before you cut..sliding slippery dangerous work.make sure your feet and legs are away from any possible slide or roll.
    Always think where you don't want to be standing when you finish cutting a big Log from the otherside....start at the dangerous downhill side first..then finish on the safe side.
    A long crowbar is in valuable sometimes for moving the weight stressed timber or leavering it so it breaks and falls on to roadway.

Many Logs and poles and limbs under tension ..dangerous work in snow...cut a little and observe what is happening cut a bit more and recheck....assume they will fly back like five feet...even tie bloody limbs to bullbar if you think they may spring back at you.

Also in heavy snow conditions you have a heavy canopy that can potentially explode and fall on your head at any time just to complicate the issues at hand.

We have also witnessed Logs cut up near bank that may appear stable for a few mins only to side like a missile when they have weight acting on them dangling over the upper bank...

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

You speak from a lot of experience Steve.

Our hardest case in this work - with two saws jammed due to vertical splits in a sloping log - was retrieved with wedges and jacks. Just.

19. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Not sure but may have some idea later in the week. A friend may be heading up that way. It seems most of the tree damage was on the Glen side of Mt. Wills Road so Mulhauser may have been spared. Probably best discussed in the other thread.

We often make wedges out of small broken branches. Shove 5 or 6 in the cut (put a stick in and break it off 5 times) and the log will not jam at the top. Also if your saw is big enough doing your first cut on a big log top (highest point) to bottom 180 degrees or more will help. Wedge it out and then you do not need your entire bar in the log to cut the remainder. Most of the trees that cause a problem fall from the high side of the bank so they are going to naturally want to fall to jam your bar. Snigging logs is also hard in snow but if without snow you can cut the log so there is a small piece holding it on the opposite side of your car at the 3 o'clock then chain around it and pull backward. That also stops the bar getting stuck but you will need a drag chain. Mr. T has his comprehensive list of things to back on a snow trip. We have a list just to get to the start of our trip.
    2 chainsaws plus tools, fuel and spare chains
    1 drag chain
    1 shovel
    Snow chains
    Crow bar
    Snatch strap and chain blocks, shackles etc (4wd recovery gear)
    Compressor
    Puncture repair kit

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Oh I have jammed so many chains and bars....and yes it happens so easily ......I have damaged enough bars now so now I am more careful...sometimes I get the slopping Log cut up but the pressure prevents movement...that's when I get the crowbar and give it a heave....but leave a roller under it so as it comes down it rolls right off road like a missile. Do like my snatch blocks and wire rope..four snatch blocks .....is that rodeo horse power by 4?...

But I got to say the crowbar can move monster bits by chocking things if you are by yourself..rollchoke rollchoke and moderate sized trunks get rolly polled. And I forgot. Rake hoe good for moving lots of small debri so tyres don't get stuffed and mattock for digging the pieces out of the roadway where possible.