Mt Howitt memorial plaque

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by kirktab, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Astro666

Astro666 Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Discreet Rusty Iron Plaque in the Australian High Country. Seems in-character with the surroundings. Tells a story of someone who died before their time. Does it really require regulation ? The people who pass these memories, when experiencing the area, are the best regulators. If it was inappropriate, it would not have survived this long.

History exists because man recorded it. Imagination allows us to create a story. Imaginative stories add to the fibre of the experience. And life is about the experience.

If it's an appropriate story. Let it live.

2. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

That is exactly the point. This is only a small sample and look at the various views. The people here are in fact representative of a broader community so if the question was asked in a larger sample I say there will still be various views. Regulation steps in not to stop it but to make sure the various views are represented and those who have met the criteria can put their memorial in place. If those who object to this sort of thing vandalise the lawful memorial then they are in breach. My only difficulty in accepting the views of those who are saying there is nothing wrong with anybody placing a plaque in the NP are when they say it is OK if it is discreet, a proper size, not too many or any other reason. That is regulation in their mind. It is putting a caveat on their view. They feel in the smaller picture it seems OK but concede in the bigger picture, if allowed to run unchecked, it would pose a problem. I hope those people I refer to are not offended because in fact we have some agreement. I can see the smaller and bigger picture.

I am very much guilty of straying from the topic from time to time but there is really no need for the discussion to descend to the personal so bringing it back to the original question is my way of saying it has gone far enough the other way and perhaps people should return their focus to a point and not a personal attack.

I also much prefer something that tells the story of why it is there.

3. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

What makes you believe this?

What are reading into the dates Charon?

4. Xwing

Xwing Well-Known Member

Certain types of profession deem it to be so where the proponents of said profession do lack compassionate view points and are strict legal / accountable types who are only here to service personal righteousness. Ashes in Kosciuszko park require permission.

ladycamper likes this.
  5. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Folks...
    @Edgecrusher @Ubiquitous Steve @Xplora amongst others
    Lets keep it to the O.P.
    If you want to discuss the apropriateness of memorial plaques do it in another thread as inevitably it will descend into a hell hole of a shitfight.
    If you want to interrogate each other over your chosen vocations you can do it over a beer .
    I also remind folk that there is a discreet memorial plaque in memory of @Raury ( installed with permission) .

Chaeron, currawong, piolet and 2 others like this.
  6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

Mt. Howitt has voodoo properties my friend and don't you forget it !!!

7. Arsas

Arsas New Member

@Edgecrusher I know others have commented with their disagreement about putting plaques in NP's, but one of your first comments was to label and name call people who place plaques? Why? What has placing a plaque got to do with the type of person someone is? How does this personally effect you? Have you seen any of the mentioned plaques? Did they spoil your time in the NP?
    Life is about people, experiences, emotions, not rules and regulations. Not everything in this world is black and white.
    I am one of those people who have placed a plaque in a NP for my older brother who died at the age of 40. I placed it at a camping spot, on a beach, on a rock in a NP. It's a spot that where we had a annual camping trip with all the mates. I placed it there as it is a place that I like to go to remember my brother when we go on our annual trip.
    Does it effect the other users of the NP? No, how could it? they don't know what it means and who it is? They may or may not see it, and if they take the time to go and read it then they went out of their way to do so themselves, no one made them.
    I am not judging you just trying to get where you are coming from? Why such a disconnect with the emotions of people who have lost a loved one?

#107 Arsas, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Chaeron, Gimp, sidetrack and 6 others like this.
  8. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

To be fair , this good natured dig preceeded that..

Btw some folk are taking an enforced break from the thread so may not appear to reply promptly...

Ubiquitous Steve and ecowain like this.
  9. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

It appears I am not one of those but I am more than happy for this thread to return to the OP as indicated previously. My view on the other matter has been made well enough as have the others so I see no benefit in continuing in that vein. Thanks for stepping in.

10. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Active Member

I'm struggling to turn up anything either, very curious though. 2002 is too late to turn anything up on trove, and nothing coming up on ancestry.com either. I might try to go through obits and death notices from late March '02 to see if the name comes up.

I personally love the human stories behind all these plaques, they give you a sense of the local and personal history of these places.

I also quite enjoy trying to solve mysteries like these. I was really stoked when I worked out the history behind the plaque of the death of the teenager at Cathedral Range, and I'm still frustrated I can't turn anything up on a memorial cross i found at Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains.

So, for what it's worth, I agree with the majority here; unofficial plaques are fine by so long as they are small and discreet.

Chaeron, Gimp, coolair and 2 others like this.
  11. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

Haha. Thank you for intervening.

When I snuff it, I've asked my family to chuck half my ashes off Bogong, and the rest near Geehi. Both special places for me.

I don't believe in plaques, unless someone has made a special contribution to the area, or is of significance - eg Cleve Cole Hut, however, with respect to CC hut, we can't have people building memorial huts all over the place either. As for seats and picnic tables. Nup. Not my scene. Maybe in the Dandenongs or local parks.

So, no plaques for me. I've enjoyed these places, removed traces of my camping, taken out my rubbish and others stuff that I've found, donated a block splitter to Michell Hut, and that's it. And, if my family can't be farked chucking my ashes off the top of Bogong, then that becomes their dilemma , not mine!

A

GS, coolair, piolet and 4 others like this.
  12. legend

legend Dedicated Member

If people want to leave plaques around the place, what better place than inside a nearby hut. Much better than having them spread around the country side.
    I found one celebrating the meeting of an East Gippsland and Mansfield Councilor on top of the Crosscut. What purpose did this serve? Perhaps to congratulate each other on a short walk and then glue it on the summit.

13. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Inside MUMC hut, it has plaques dedicated to now dead mountaineers who 'bought the farm' while trekking/climbing in places such as Nepal and Pakistan but were known to get their skills up to speed on Mt. FT in winter.

legend and Chaeron like this.
  14. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I like the concreters out at Cope Saddle Hut that left their signatures in the finished job.....that caused Team Bears no amount of mental pain .....just to think somebody could do such a thing!!!!

Poor Bears have sleepless nights just processing such an activity of desecration with the confines of a national park!!!!

Thus we truly understand the huge impact of small metal plaques impinging on civil liberties of honest backcountry folk.Disrupted from their peaceful stroll by these infamous plaques of deceased folk!!

15. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Rules don't allow it but if I was ranger I'd be turning a blind eye.

zac150 likes this.
  16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Bears say please return to topic before mod. does another wobbly!
    Let the speculation revolve around this photo.

Astro66 likes this.
  17. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

Regarding the plate. I'm normally pretty good at finding stuff like this, and I cannot find anything. Government database will only allow searches for deaths before 1987. If someone has an account with one of those Heritage Search places it may help. But they seem blank as well.

#117 Astro66, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
    zac150 and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  18. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

A few folk have suggested via pm and report that this thread is going south again...
    I will delete the extraneous personal crap tomorrow if another mod less tolerant does it before me.

Perhaps folk could do their own gardening in the interim

Chaeron likes this.
  19. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture

Salt past been passed over, back to the topic.

20. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sagarmatha NP, Mt Cook NP and many others around the world containing mountains have them.

21. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The foot of Peak Lenin in the Central Asian Pamirs and K2 in Northern Pakistan have many home made plaques fashioned from tin dinner plates remembering people who didn't make it back to base camp alive or at all.

22. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

Many Japanese peaks have shrines at the summit, and are in themselves considered sacred spaces...

It's ironic - we don't want memorials because they disrupt the natural 'sacredness' of a place (I'm not automatically assuming or attributing a religious perspective here, just that these places are special exactly because they are to a degree innocent of human impact)

However, the exact reason that memorials appear here is because of their pristine specialness.

Obviously when a space is used by many, but owned by none, but many have a sense of ownership over the space, there are going to be issues with how a space is used - problem of the commons 2.0.

23. luke1234

luke1234 Active Member

but Mt Cook appears to have an official area for placing plaques of those who died in the park, maybe we could have one of those too somewhere.

24. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

If you want to do something special......get an axe engraved with details and place it in a hut somewhere....then others get to use it for getting firewood and can examine the detail inscribed into its metal head. A win win for everybody....except those galahs that hate Huts....but we digress from the plaque being discussed in OP.

But as the moderator says we could be drifting Sth ...:emoji_thunder_cloud_rain::emoji_zap::emoji_thunder_cloud_rain::emoji_zap:

#124 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017