Mt Howitt memorial plaque

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by kirktab, Jun 18, 2017.

1. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I have no problem with small discrete plaques away from areas where people are likely to walk. If the number becomes a problem, then deal with it then. If someone places a large memorial or in a popular place, then it's reasonable for Parks to remove them. I would prefer them to try to contact the family first and suggest an alternative.

Thomas WHiteside, coolair and zac150 like this.
  2. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Why can't the families just stick to putting plaques in cemeteries instead? And why do they feel the need to go into the bush to affix these things? Seems utterly retarded

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Try this for irony pal! Hey Edgecrusher this edifice built by Parks Vic.....how does this sit with your minimal intrusion into National Parks....is that a little plaque I can see in the grass ??

Perhaps Edgecrush you can explain why this is ok but a small metal plaque in the bush is upsetting you??
    Hey not only irony here but a whole roof of gal.
    So Edgecrusher try not to be absurd in objecting to a small discrete plaque perhaps.....

#53 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Big Red? He was posting here only 6mths ago! @Big Red

piolet likes this.
  5. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

:rolleyes:
    Looks familiar. Is that the one there at Watchbed Creek? It actually serves people that visit the high country. In fact, I stood under the one I referenced back in January while doing some MTB riding up there.

What purpose does a memorial plaque serve? Nothing. Especially when the exact same result can be achieved by getting a plaque installed at a cemetery.

Anyhow, seems the irony is still lost on you, but I expected that.

6. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Your more silly than I thought.....those of us that understand the weather common up there are pissing themselves laughing no doubt after this response.

8. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Good for you pal. I'm so happy for you. Do you want a plaque too? Let me know where it is and I'll come and desecrate it after you're gone ROFL

9. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

So let's see..

..this one not good according to my mate from the legal profession but the former monstrosity is ok...

U decide which has the least minimal intrusion into the surrounding landscape ??Think this is bronze or copper ....probably no irony here though!

10. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

what makes you think that many people want to have much to do with cemeteries? I suspect that most people who choose scattering ashes have no desire to use cemeteries for memorials. Personally I don't think memorials are necessary. Neither my mum nor my dad have any memorial. I can't think of anywhere I would less like to remember them than in a cemetery. My +1 has both parents and a brother buried in a cemetery. AFAIK the graves are never visited by any of the family.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Oh the vandal in you comes out....and you have a legal training!!

But dont get struck from the bar on my account please.....now that would be true irony.....

12. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

And pls tell all of us, how do YOU make a living? You seem to think it ok to take pot shots at me. But tell us all what you do to get paid Steve?

And FYI, I wouldn't be doing anything wrong if I were to use a crowbar to remove such a rubbish plaque if it wasn't meant to be there in the first place.

I'm waiting for you to tell us what your bears think of all of this though.

13. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

This information booth sits right next to the tar road, at a junction, right next to massive man-made lake, no more than 3km from the Falls Creek village. It provides day trippers heading up the Fire Track or heading past with a lovely set of stories about why the High Country vegetation is so special. It is attractive and has a function - I always sit on it to get my boots on and have even enjoyed a cuppa there. Hell, once in a white-out blizzard on my way from Langford Gap I even got out of the wind a bit. Substantially different to an unexpected memorial plaque in the middle of 'pristine' Alpine terrain (there ain't no such thing in any case - after you take into account the deforestation from fires, the overgrazing, the erosion, the roads, the dams, the blackberries, the feral deer and horses - not much left untouched nowadays.)

Now, by contrast, the subtle small little iron cross affixed to an existing snow-pole on Eskdale Spur - almost unnoticed unless you know to look for it nothing more needs to be said - let's also keep in mind some people may feel very strongly both ways on something like this - for good reason. I'm all for letting sleeping dogs lie...

14. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I have had lunch there a few times but can't see what purpose it serves apart from telling where you are which you you already know! probably cost about $20,000, would you say?

15. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Because we have dedicated spaces solely for the purposes of memorialising dead folk. Simple. But it seems others think it's ok to avoid that and affix plaques where they like. Even on public land.

16. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It seems rather unnecessary but I'm sure plenty of tourists stop to have a look. I was on my bike and just grabbed 5 minutes out of the rain. Served its purpose for me.

Chaeron likes this.
  17. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Getting back to OP, does anyone have any info re the deceased guy?

skifree likes this.
  18. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Vicparks & Falls Creek PR for the gapers who don't know they're in the wild unless they've got somting to tell 'em so. Companion to the one just the other side of the dam wall at the start of Heathy Spur. Hell, how you going to give gainful employment to them Mount Beauty stonemasons and Wangaratta steelworks mates unless you've got a marketing budget - there's only so much you can spend on track maintenance! You could easily blow $30, 000 on something like that. Good spot for a lycra selfie! :D

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Jesus you say that's attractive.....OMG.

The most functional object in that area is the old Langford Gap SEC Hut.....old dilapidated but truely functional in protection from the weather.

In extreme weather that edifice of questionable value would provide stuff all protection from any weather.

20. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

They do serve a purpose for those whom seek to remember. Just because we don't know the meaning, doesn't make it meaningless.

Cemeteries are cold, 'dead' places. They are the last place I would want to remember anyone. Especially as they have no meaning to anyone. No one ever did anything special in a cemetery.

21. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah I'm intrigued now.

Thomas WHiteside likes this.
  22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

My early twenties beg to differ.

23. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

So it's ok to affix these things in public parks for the benefit of a few select people, just for their memories? What utter garbage.

24. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Most of us here are more likely to be struck by or at a bar, or at least, be kicked to the curb:rolleyes:

25. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Not 100% my wife recalls reading about an incident up that way in one of her high country books. She thought it was school related but I can't find anything on the net.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

I thought I was off tangent.....
    Your logic is a worry?
    No need to get self defensive....some lawyers are ok others can be painful.You decide what group you think you belong too.
    Cheers:thumbs:

Oh I do see a problem in that you refer to those ..all of those plaques from "the self indulgent "and "retarded "folk that erect them.
    And we love that bit when u say they can just get a tatt or two.

#76 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017
  27. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Answer the question Steve. What do you do for a living? Again you're taking pot shots at me about what I do. But what is it that you DO?

28. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Still needs its door, but it would be better on the back of a truck... on the way to the tip.... enough lovely huts already in that vicinity, close enough to get to (assuming one is carrying a tent/bivvy bag / sense of humour in any case):evil:

29. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Again back to o/t

From what I can see fires raged throughout the area from January through to a few days before, around the 20th of March.

There were no recorded deaths during the fire.

What I don't get is why the faaark you would have been in the area doing anything during those fires, except of course to fight them.

Seth likes this.
  30. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

So we hear that it's only retards that erect these plaques ,for the self indulgent.

So let's see Edgecrusher again object to a plaque like this one.?

So are some plaques good and some bad....this one approved by Parks Vic ...well we think?

Did this dude merit a plaque Edgecrusher??

Or do you think he had no relevance in say the history of the area.
    Because we did hear you condemn all and every memorial plaque set up in National Parks.
    Bears may ...submit a controversial plaque that regonizes the early aboriginal history in this area.......do you think that would be plaque that Edgecrusher would regard to be erected by retards and the self indulgent indigenous folk??
    Oh that plaque lives up on Mt Mackay from memory!We may have to search for awhile to find a pic of this one.

#80 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017
  31. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Steve, you haven't answered my question.
    Why won't you answer my question?

32. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Most likely because someone saw it could be a problem and put a stop to it.
    Agree with this. Nothing personal Seth just personal opinion.
    Wrong thread. Huts soap box a page over. Stay on topic. My suggestion is to start your own thread on that. Remember I also work on the hut maintenance and actually work on huts as well.
    Not really. This is only one forum and there is dissent. It should not be accepted that anyone who expresses a view here speaks for an entire group of people. I know I don't. By all means express your view but there is no need to be rude about it. This is a snow forum but there is some cross over. Perhaps you should canvas your view on a bushwalk forum also to gain a fuller perspective.

Agreed as well. There is a standard to be met and at some stage the standard has to be set so we are all equal. What is wrong with a couple of discreet memorials? Nothing really but then does that mean we all have a right to our own discreet memorial in our own special place which happens to be in front of someone else's special view. I think it shows a great lack of respect for everyone else.

It is not clear to me who is the pot and who is the black kettle here??

Should I take this as a compliment Steve?
    Probably not a compliment after all....I have not given anybody a mandate. Only stating cause and effect. Being misguided is also only a matter of opinion or point of view. Someone on this forum said once, 'if you want to be right all the time then you have to be prepared to change your opinion.' Give me a logical reason to change and I will. So far there has been nothing compelling.
    A few misguided folk placing plaques all over the place and the next thing we have is a temple or shrine. All I see is things have ended up regulated because logical thinking people could see other people could not be trusted to keep things in perspective. If one would take the time to research then one would realise it is not just Parks Vic regulating. This is pretty standard stuff. Memorials on roadsides are quite different as they are in locations where people have died. This is a reminder to all those driving the road to be careful. Drive south from Auckland and all you see are white crosses. It is a bit confronting but the message gets across. Not the same circumstance with an ignominious plaque in the bush.

Parks Vic bashing soap box is also a page over but condoning one act while condemning another seems also a bit ambiguous.

Can I see anything really offensive with this plaque on its own? Not really. Does that mean everyone should be allowed to put one up wherever or in whatever shape they desire. Certainly not. Get with the bigger picture or in other words, step out of the box. If you comment about one thing in isolation then of course it seems smaller.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  33. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

There is also another plaque on a hill between Pretty Valley and Tawonga Huts, from which one has good view of The Fainters and Mt FT. Old Mad Jack MacMad of the mountains is remembered here or something like that.... ;-P

34. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

no need to panic Team Bears quite sure that the "System"has the matter well in hand.We are expecting results by 2019 ....a mere blip in the time frame of Parks Vic with pressing issues in FHAW development.:whistle:

35. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I've asked a question of him that seems he is incapable of answering. He (and others) feel it is appropriate to attack others and judge them purely on the basis of their occupation. Often it's borne out of an inferiority complex. Nevertheless, if he wants to be taken seriously he should just answer the question.

36. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

Ubi Steve is right. Once Lego Land crossed with Club Med. is built on the Diamantina spur and Mt. FT then a couple of ankle high plaques to remember some old hippie back country walkers/ski bums who' ve croaked it, will be hardly noticeable in comparison.

#86 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  37. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Still waiting for you to answer my question. Are you capable of that Steve?

BTW pal, I'll call people what I like.

38. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Nice effort Zac trying to get this back on topic. Perhaps it has fallen too far. I feel to blame in part. In all my searching there is nothing conspicuous about the name or date relating to the place.

39. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

My place of work is neither here nor there is relation to the topic of plaques.
    But my learned friend should know better than to denigrate family members memorials ..calls them retards and self indulgent ...then claims he/she is being unfairly judged.......you are a legal scholar but you don't use that ability to post logically in this forum.
    Legal professional or half wit. Again you tick the box ...:thumbs:

40. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

At least whoever put the plaque there seems to have made it from steel plate and laid weld beads for the text (pretty neat welding i might add), so give it another decade or so and it'll have rusted away.

41. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Answer the question
    You seem to think it's fine to continually bring up what I do, but don't have the courage to tell us what you do. Why is that Steve? Are you a chicken or a pussy? Or just immature?

42. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

No the discussion has expanded ....this is good ..Xplora you are forgiven for not being able to supply further information....

What holds for one area of the ANP certainly holds sway over all areas.
    And we hear some posters discussing the merits of plaques regardless of the whether folk fell and died in a certain area exactly.
    In fact discussion has never gone off the OP...just some folk always like some threads to go in a certain way...then they get frustrated when that does not occur.

However Edgecrusher seems to have developed a complex based on his/her perceived socioeconomic standing.:thumbs:

43. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Deceased possibly associated with Marcellin College & St John's Catholic Parish in Mitcham.... no further obvious information available.

44. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

That doesn't sound particularly encouraging.

45. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Mt Howitt's not particularly hallowed ground... look at the dates...

46. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Still going there Steve and making it personal? How about you answer my question?

It's like trying to hold a discussion with a chimp

47. derwent

derwent Well-Known Member

Don't really mind stumbling across the odd plaque/ memorial.... happy to acknowledge others much loved memories that must mean so much more in a special place. Don't ever recall any offensive.....

48. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

"The mere fact that some objection has been raised here is enough to show cause for the placement of these things to be regulated. " from Xplora previous post.

I cannot follow this logic ...to me this is a very weak connection?This is a tiny forum ....folk on this forum represent only a tiny faction of the bushwalking users.

49. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It's a pretty easy and logical idea to follow...

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

I was seeking explanation from Xplora....your views and posts are most odd.....again illogical......