Mt Howitt memorial plaque

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by kirktab, Jun 18, 2017.

1. kirktab

kirktab Active Member

This plaque is in scrub about 30-50 south if Vallejo Gantner hut at Mac Springs. Anyone know the story behind it?

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  2. CaptainC

CaptainC Active Member

There was a similar plaque for someone else a few yeas ago. I re
    ported it to Parks and it was removed.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  3. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

thats pretty cold from parks vic.

What's the harm?

DJM, Snowy Joey, zac150 and 2 others like this.
  4. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

How long before there would be too many if all were allowed to put up a memorial to their dearly departed? Seems harsh but then I would not want to see our parks littered with plaques.

5. sidetrack

sidetrack Dedicated Member

Pull out all the memorial huts then. Or let people put in memorial huts instead of plaques if your excuse for huts is they are useful. Seriously it's a big bit of country and a few hundred plaques would hardly be noticed.

ladycamper likes this.
  6. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

poor guy died day after his birthday. it's possible that he actually died somewhere else and that the plaque was placed there because he liked the area.

sidetrack and ladycamper like this.
  7. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Do you really think that would happen?

ladycamper likes this.
  8. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

If people want to memoralise loved ones, I'd have thought the more appropriate place to do so was in cemeteries. Not in National Parks.

Vanders likes this.
  9. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not everyone is a cold blooded lawyer. ;)

I don't see the issue.

It was likely a favourite place, nothing wrong with remembering him there.

DJM, Claude Cat, sidetrack and 4 others like this.
  10. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I just don't see the point in desecrating National Parks with plaques for people who will only be remembered by a small group of people.
    I have no issue with people spreading a deceased's ashes in such an area, but don't go attaching plaques up there. As I said, we have cemeteries for that type of thing. Our National Parks shouldn't be used for this kind of nonsense.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Well Team Bears could well understand the families grief and would prefer Parks Vic to common on board with a solution.....perhaps some infra structure in adjacent DSE controlled land could be suggested.

If funds were sufficient....you could rebuild a whole hut and place a small plaque to the member...
    You could replace Langford Gap Hut totally.....a fitting memorial....perhaps...a practical asset to the Parks and a shelter that would be used for many years. honouring the memory of this person .

I am not really on side with this purist view of National Parks shared in some posts above.

Perhaps a small bench on a track somewhere...with a small plaque..enabling trekkers to sit and get their breath back....like the one at the Picture Point on the Bungelow Fire Trail.Perhaps a picnic table at the start of a trail head with approval of Parks Vic.
    The human history has it's just place in Parks too.
    You already have MUMC and their memorial hut on the NW Spur of Feathertop.....and all the talk of the Iconic Walk from Falls to Hotham with guide rails etc....perhaps let the family contribute something here of infrastrucure with a small plaque to mark the passing of the family member.

You could even get the damaged Horseyards at Diamantina rebuilt and fenced with new posts and wire etc..replacing old damaged infrastructure with a small plaque dedicated to the memory of this person.

I really think some of you are bloody minded ........

#11 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Some folk are not serious if they object to something as low key as this plaque.

Already on the Bogong Highplains u have those eddifices at Watchbed Ck and at Wallaces Carpark.....these are something you perhaps should be questioning.....they more than detract from their surroundings....Bears say they are grotesque designs like that monstrosity at Federation SQ.

Next some of you will be objecting to the lost horse shoes I find out on Longspur sometimes....

When we have drones buzzing our campsites then I will also come on board and join you in the hostility.Dont complain about silly things!!

#12 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM
  13. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

A small plaque that you never even know is there is hardly desecrating anything.

There are far more pressing issues in NPs than this sort of thing. Feral cats, feral dogs, stray cattle, feral deer. you name it.

14. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

There was another small plaque just near the summit of Mt Howitt a few years back, not sure if still there. Saw another one the other weekend on Mt Baw Baw beside a walking tk.

15. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I have no issue with families donating money to installing things of value in National Parks, but go about it via the appropriate channels - not by going and installing things yourself. Leave a gift in your Will to benefit the appropriate channels, rather than being a cowboy and installing a shitty plaque. How is it any different to vandalising public property? Whether it's inconspicuous or not isn't the issue - the issue is a matter of principle. Public parks aren't there for members of the public to come in and affix plaques to for no good reason.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Even a few picnic tables at the carpark at Mac Springs and a BBG..perhaps if none exist.

Litter gets my pissed off not the odd memorial plaque.....

Obviously it's not too crash hot to have memorials on top of Howitt because of its uniqueness ......but give the grieving families a chance to leave something to remember their loved ones in a practical form of moderate proportions in an area where it's utilised and appreciated.

#16 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM
  17. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Really, removing plaques? So I guess we remove all the crosses on the side of the road as well as they desecrate the highways..... Whilst we are at it, let's remove fire trails from national parks they are a scar on the landscape as well!

If a person has died in a location I see no issue with putting a small memorial; lets face it there are not too many people that pass away in the park annually. There are also plenty of existing memorial's in the park for more famous tragedies including one famous plane crash in Kosci, Seamans hut is a memorial and the grave stones on the Currango planes.

In many cases I see the plaques as potentially doing good, a plaque can be a simple reminder of some of the dangers faced and a reminder that things can go wrong or it can be a reminder of those who went before.

If the person didn't die in the park but there was a genuine link to the location I think that there should be a process and if the circumstances warrant then yes place a small memorial. I for one have asked for my ashes to be scattered on the planes in Kosci, is it illegal, who cares I will be dead.

18. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

My dad recently spread a portion of a mate's ashes on Townsend. I helped him spread some of them a few weeks later in the surf at Barrenjoey. I think these are good things to do.

DJM, derwent, whether and 3 others like this.
  19. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

If a person truly loves a place, leaving that place as it is should be the goal - not adorning crappy homemade plaques in the area just so a select few people can remember the deceased. How utterly self-indulgent.

Mister Tee on snow shoes and GS like this.
  20. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

That leave no trace mantra has still got you guys all mentally screwed up.

Man is very much part of the ecosystem and it is good for him to leave his productive efforts.

Perhaps Edgecrusher has had too many freeze dried meals and his judgment is somewhat affected....One has to stick with good nutrition even in the backcountry!,

21. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Steve, pls.
    What an utterly stupid thing to say. Too many rum and cokes at the rippers last night I presume?

22. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

At what point would you draw the line? How big can they be? How prominent? Can they be large religious shrines? If those who feel there is no harm in it respond in any way other than 'people can do what they like' then they have agreement in principle with those who want some sort of control. At what point would you be offended and ask for some regulation? The mere fact that some objection has been raised here is enough to show cause for the placement of these things to be regulated. The area in question is one of particular importance to me and I intend to have my ashes spread (in part) there but I do not need a plaque to be placed after that. Is the matter really worth people getting upset over? No and please do not read that into my words. It is a point of view. I agree with Steve that there is opportunity for people to do something that will add to the experience but it is not a matter for the individual grieving family to decide without the proper process. Seaman's hut was built by the family and it is a lasting reminder but we cannot however have huts popping up all over the place. We also have no idea who this person was or if he in fact died there. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people have a connection with Mac Springs so I guess they all have the right to get a plaque. Then you say the connection has to be significant so that is a form of regulation because someone has to decide what that entails. Often regulation happens once things are seen to be getting out of hand. Some places prohibit the scattering of cremated ashes such at the Royal Botanic garden in Melbourne. Other places simply say it is OK generally and still more will require permission. I best get my stuff sorted before I die but cannot find any objection to it so far.

Regarding the OP original question. I have no idea who he was and have searched. I also have found this plaque so it is not inconspicuous.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  23. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Really well put :thumbs:

24. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

More regulation. Just what we need.

Is this a problem that requires any attention? No. Are the hills covered in these things. No.

You know who benefits the most from laws and regulations? Lawyers. That must be why @Edgecrusher agrees with you. ;)

25. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

My views have absolutely nothing to do with that.
    I just don't see why individuals think they're entitled to go into National Parks and put up these bloody things. If you want to memoralise somebody, do it in a cemetery. Or get a properly drafted Will that leaves a gift out of the deceased's estate to enable a memorial. IIRC, if you donate >$10k to the Peter Mac institute, they'll put up a plaque for you. I can't see on the Parks Victoria website anything about leaving a gift, however.
    Go about it the right way instead of covertly putting up a plaque to memoralise somebody within parks. To me, it's no different than going in and vandalising - and for what purpose?

and in any event, how does what I do for a living have anything to do with this issue? It always amazes me how people are quick to use it as a way to attack people and their points of view. I don't know what you do for a living, nor do I think it's relevant when discussing matters like these. It'd be like me referencing the fact that you're a cyclist and attempting to connect that matter with this issue, and suggesting that cyclists are a scourge and deserve what they get.

#25 Edgecrusher, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 3:04 PM
  26. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

That plaque for somebody's nearest and dearest , sadly who is now longer available for comment , near the summit of Mt. Howitt was there about a year ago but when I was up there last in Dec. 2016 it was gone!.I agree with Team bears. Put the Plaque on a bench somewhere scenic and that will be more than enough but let us not have to start dodging plaques at the summit of the VIC ALPS BC summits. ;-P

#26 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM
  27. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Let's just agree to disagree and move on. You think this is vandalism. I see it doing no harm.

It wasn't an attack, more just a way of thinking. you are conditioned to think a certain way as to what people should and shouldn't do within the confines of what is right and wrong. That's what you're trained to do.

28. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Ok. I know others have used it as an attack on me, so I just felt a little annoyed. Good to know it wasn't, so all good :thumbs:

You're right about my way of thinking as a consequence of training, but it probably has more to do with me being rather Aspy more than anything.

I understand the view of "what harm can it bring" with something like this, but I just don't agree with that. I just feel there are more appropriate channels to memoralise someone.

All good :)

Chaeron and Seth like this.
  29. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

What if you don't like benches? or the dead person didn't like benches?

30. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

That's why you include such wishes in a Will.
    I include such clauses in documents regularly.

31. The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

I was content with spreading Ashes off the Bluff.....an Eagle hovered at the right time..the Eagle still hovers sometimes when I go back:)

climberman likes this.
  32. blowfin

blowfin Well-Known Member

Probably don't want our national parks full of things this size really. This one is actually quite a way further south than where Ben Linden got taken, near where a bunch of his mates lived. It's 10km from a main road down a 4wd track. Surely if you were going to put a plaque into a national park though, it would be the decent thing to ask DPAW first? Tend to agree that if you just allow them it sets a precedent that anyone can just go stick a memorial wherever they want.
    [​IMG]

coolair likes this.
  33. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Holy shit. A few hall monitor badges to be handed out eh

I want my remains scattered over the beach. Post cremation if they have to

dawooduck and Edgecrusher like this.
  34. blowfin

blowfin Well-Known Member

Also, having plaques everywhere is how you wind up with Pokemon Go players. Do people really want that?

Edgecrusher likes this.
  35. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Discretion is key

Seth, coolair and Chaeron like this.
  36. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Yes, you must have the anti cliched sentimental memorial bench plaque clause in your will or you will be rogered for eternity or until the bench collapses.

37. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ubi Steve could go into business with memorial plaque equipped picnic tables. He'd be printing money once he got through all the hoops you'd have to jump through . That is if he went through the walls of red tape in an official capacity.

38. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Nobody's taking issue with the distribution of a person's ashes.
    It's the plaques that are the issue.

39. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Bingo

The last thing we need is fools putting these things up. People need to remember that while their memories of a loved one are important to them, to pretty much everyone else, nobody gives a ****

They should stick to tattoos instead.

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well to be quite honest the strippers seem to offer a bit more than some contributors on this forum.

Give "the leave no trace mantra "for home duties when you come to the mountains because it has lost any relevance for most of us.
    Once the Diamantina Spur gets dolled up it will hold little if anything for most of us anyway....

dawooduck likes this.
  41. Chaeron

Chaeron Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Saw it year before last... From recollection it's on the Crosscut Saw side (discreet).

42. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

The system cannot come at replacing a window over a 12 month period....poor old Blairs Hut only has one I suppose...maybe Parks Vic just thought Team Bears fix was sensational or something....
    A plaque to anybody that can complete the job with a nice new frame and glass in the next 12 months.

43. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well maybe you better prepare yourself for confrontation with Parks Vic Staff once they start on Diamantina Track.....cos its ganna be a bit over the top compared to a few scatttered low profile 1ft by 9in.metal memorials at ground level that will soon be under a meter of snow.

44. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

If they died at the location I can handle a plaque. Otherwise....get a life?

zac150 likes this.
  45. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Whatever dude. I'm not following you and I'm not even gonna bother now. You've gone way off on a tangent.

46. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

I read your posts and wonder at the logic. Your...views are at the end of the bushwalkers spectrum.....

I makes no difference to me if u like my posts or not....if you say over the top stupid things I will call it out....

Also Xplora uses some amazing logic.....a few misguided folk on the forum submitting objection to plaques and he sees a mandate for having Parks Vic Regulating everything.

But let's contrast those little plaques with those huge boards at Watchbe Ck and Wallaces Car Park.....I better look up those photos so we can see the chief offenders to vandalising the landscape with billboards.

dawooduck likes this.
  48. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

wow. Do you understand irony Steve?
    Time to have a lie down pal.

49. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It depends on how many plaques appear.

50. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

That's off the charts.

Something discreet that doesn't impact on anyone else is ok. That's just ridic.