Mt Buffalo Chalet - What's the current status?

Discussion in 'National Parks' started by snowplough, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

This is the type of reason why Buffalo Chalet will never be redeveloped.
    http://www.alpineshire.vic.gov.au/Mobile/Page.aspx?page_id=2011&resetnv=true
    There is less and less encouragement for visitors to look outside the town perimeter of Bright....or more correctly Bright will be attracting more and more visitors focused on a specific event based within Bright. Sure some will look beyond the event but not in the proportion of visitors heading there for a general 'High Country getaway'.

2. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

Concur, not going to happen.

As DbSki points out, the place was built during a different era, when leisurely mountain chalets were in vogue, alternative attractions were few and a clear business objective to sell train tickets and accom packages the driver - not least of which was being owned by a well heeled govt utility.

Renovations to today's travellers standards would be a nightmare moneypit.

Best case scenario is the foyer & front of house is kept and restored and the accom wings totally demolished - replaced by small number of high yield luxury rooms. The front of house would need to be restored primarily as a day visit attraction with a 4 star destination restaurant that did lunch 7 days with the best service and wine list in SE Victoria.

Even then the economics would be very marginal and marketing would need to be sustained for years to build reputation and momentum.

Chaeron, Charlie, DbSki and 2 others like this.
  3. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yep the fact the Buffalo is a just a bit far from the local township it would be hard to tap into the local tourism, as in passing trade.

4. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I like 'The Buff' the way it is , natural and beautiful ,wild, ancient and mysterious.If the great unwashed can't dig that then it is their loss .
    However paying nearly 60 clams a night to camp at Lake Catani is a rip off. The Hike in campsites at Mt McLeod and Rocky Creek are only about 14 clams per night and there no cars or hoons.
    So like many things of some quaint and aesthetic worth in Victoria today , the Chalet is doomed.

5. wean

wean Active Member

THE MINISTER 'REPLIES'.
    Got some news for you - the Minister for Regional Vic has finally 'responded' to the Community Action for the Chalet group (they actually met with her not long ago). She's said absolutely nothing of course regarding any support apart from saying she 'hopes to hear how things are going'. You can read her letter here
    https://www.facebook.com/CommunityActionForTheChalet/

This is despite the fact that the govt is planning to spend $55.4 million on the State library even though it's had some $200 million spent on it in about 2004. I got a letter from her adviser recently after calling her office three times - all she says is "Parks Vic are working closely with the CAC group...". It's all BS of course. Pulford is ex regional Vic - I now suspect she is trying to divert funding to western Vic at the expense of the north east.

http://www.jaalapulford.com.au/

When I got the email response, I emailed her to say "What have all these other areas (she referred to other regional area funding) got to do with the chalet, and "Why is the govt spending $55 million on the State library when it could spend just $35 million on the chalet?". No reply yet of course.

Hully, I doubt those projects you mentioned in Bright would affect the patronage of the chalet, but I see what you mean by the funding issue.

6. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

2 million people visit the State Library every year. Arguing that money should be spent on the Chalet ahead of the State Library is not a winner IMO.

7. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I used to wite those letters. As in, that type of Ministerial reply. You got formula. Sucks.

Nothing. Government are good at saying a lot about nothing.

You knew that. What is in it for the taxpayer, if Buffalo rebirths? Answer that convincingly, and you may have an angle. Oh, and how to keep a developer or two flushed with cash in the process, always helps. Esp if they know the Minister.

:)

Chaeron likes this.
  8. wean

wean Active Member

Thanks Absent and VSG - yes - it's basically vote buying...

I brought the fact up with the Minister that I wasn't aware of the State library rotting or leaking water.

9. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I wrote them to. Placate but say nothing

10. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Igor it, if in doubt spend the big dough in the city first, regional towns a distant second and the bush gets an oily rag. (Like PV funding)

Such a synical people we've become!

11. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If you think you've got a good argument here comparing the money spent on the state library compared to what hasn't been spent saving the chalet you're wasting your time.

cold wombat likes this.