Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

State government & new BOM & Chair missing in action - in a holding pattern. Unpardonable Negligence.

2. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Dogs are very cute, I was very tempted to pat one or two when I Skied past them on Wednesday.
    however, they do stuff up the ski track, pity they can't have theirs own designated trail.

3. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

Go to Mt. St. Gwinear for snow play. Hire diamond pattern wheel chains and other gear in Erica on the way up from the Latrine Valley.If you are fit you and can find your way in the snow with winter bush walking navigation skills then Mt. Erica will do the job.Mushroom rocks (1200 M. ASL ) had snow on Tuesday this week and even a moderately fit blind man could find the path up there from Mt. Erica car park.

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt Torbreck and Mt. Erica offer some BC snow shoe adventures for the fit and adventurous low budget snow lover. They are better kept secrets than some other no longer viable 'snow play ' places that are doomed by lower elevation and warmer winters, so I can't complain about how quiet they are in winter.
    Mt. Stirling being a 1700 M.+ peak closer to Melb. will soon replace all of the above said soon to be expired ' snow play' locations.

5. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear Active Member

Sadly they don't get it... You have a minister in melb that could not give a f%^k because they get much better kickbacks at the big 4 .. No problem with that but when non profit clubs that are comparable in size what they can offer are charged 25k per annum at BB in service fees and 12k At Hotham for a similar sized club ??.

BB is not and never will be a Hotham or Buller. The so called family mountain has become a punching bag for gov dept to experiment on what new ways to charge and regulate more aggressively .

Watch this space as clubs struggle to survive with unrealistic costs hand their keys back to management , because the clause states if you close you must return site to natural habitat.. So no alternative.. add to that most clubs are trying to negotiate new leases some applying 2 yrs ago and still waiting .

I have had a bit of a rant ...sorry people I truly love Baw Baw ,and what it provides for the family demographic who possibly cannot afford the big hills ..

6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt.St.G. and Mt. Erica will always be there and remain undeveloped sub alpine areas within the Baw Baw N.P. That is what matters to me. I am not a fan of ski resorts at all. I just love the mountains and the snow.
    I am forever finding ways to do my BC snow activities without having to see a chair lift or a toll booth.

Baw Baw Bear and weerab like this.
  7. Baw Baw Bear

8. jugg_boots

jugg_boots Just Registered

Hi all, can we XC ski St Gwinear tomorrow, is the snow cover looking OK?

9. Serenity

Serenity Active Member

According to latest from the Gwinear patrol today, 45cm at the rock shelter with reasonable XC on the upper trails. Unsure how far you have to walk to get there or what the conditions will be like tomorrow.

10. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw getting some much needed snow love today :D:D

Attached Files:

11. 2ESki

2ESki New Member

Don't fluff it for us BBBear , after getting excited after the last dump look what happened :cry: .going to try again for this Sunday, hope I haven't just shot the weekend down again o_O

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  12. Baw Baw Bear

I think you will be ok for Sunday :thumbs:
    [​IMG]

13. 2ESki

2ESki New Member

Ain't it grand :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: until my daughter said she might have too much homework to go :headbang: so I said pull your finger out and get on with it , look at the cams, we didn't go once to Baw Baw last year as there was never enough snow