Mim Sodergren Women's Program

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Becky, Mar 1, 2017.

Becky

Becky Just Registered

I am struggling this year to organise my girls ski weekend away as everybody is too busy. I'm not wanting to miss out myself and was considering braving it and going to the Mim Sodergren's program on my own. Has anybody else done this program and would you recommend going solo. I am an intermediate skier looking to improve my skills but also wanting to have some fun at the same time. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks Becky

:thumbs: Chaeron likes this.
    Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

What am I missing here? It seems a very genuine query, and a program named after a great and sadly lost person.

I'm sorry Becky I have no feedback on the program. I have done a Yes improvement solo and it was great. I'm sure you'd love it and improve your skiing

Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Cool, mea culpa

:thumbs: Chaeron likes this.
    currawong

currawong Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

I haven't done it myself but friends who have done it thought it was pretty good.

For those who came in late*
    Mim & Mike Sodergren were great instructors who were killed in the thredbo landslide. They spent many years at falls creek before moving to thredbo.

*obscure quote for the oldies

:thumbs: ladycamper and cin like this.
    Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I had no idea, that is terrible. I was working at Hotham that year and distinctly remember the Thredbo disaster. I'm sorry for any disrespect

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.
    currawong

currawong Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

I never had lessons with Mim but had quite a few with Mike. He was excellent. So tragic.

Becky

Becky Just Registered

Becky

Becky Just Registered

Well I am glad that is all cleared up, I was wondering what I had said wrong, I meant no disrespect either, just a legit question.

Skipress

Skipress Active Member

Becky i was responsible for the creation of this program when I owned Powderhound Ski Magazine. It roots were in Thredbo and then Falls Creek. I met some amazing ladies/participants over many, many winters in both resorts. You will be happy if you join the program that was named after a wonderful lady who taught at Falls for many winters.

Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I've never done the program.....wrong gender anyway, but my wife did the 3 day program a few years back and loved it. I have observed and interacted with the Mim's groups over the years and they have always been having a great time and really improving their skiing. The instructors that take the groups are usually hand picked and are great female instructors. @Becky I would be confident to suggest that if you are wanting to have a group of similar skilled ladies to ski with, have a good time and improve your skiing you can't go wrong with the Mim's program. One of the advantages over skiing with a group of friends is that you will be skiing with others around your ability....not having a group that includes people well above or below your skill level.
    There was a poster on here last year that was heading by herself to do Mim's, she was asking a lot of questions about transport etc. Might be worth looking back and dropping her a PM.

Becky

Becky Just Registered

Thank you for that , I will take a look and see if I can find her.

chicski

chicski New Member

cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

*Xena*

*Xena* Active Member

@Becky, I did the Mim's 3 day last year. I was going to to go solo & a friend thought it sounded so good, so decided to come too. But even if you were solo, they build such a friendship level in the group that you'll have a great time. I loved it & my skiing seriously improved. My instructor, Nik Nok, sent me photos & videos at the end of the program to keep. Video analysis was done of our skiing at lunch breaks. They really did teach us about women's specific ski issues & it made perfect sense, things I had never heard before. Plus,the après activities made it special, with some raffles too, I won Bolle goggles and a merino buff. They give you a gift bag with some special things too. The food was awesome, eating at the best places on the mountain for lunch, après drinks & snacks at night. Well worth it. A special memory for me. My hubby gave it to me for my 50th birthday as a surprise, booked the whole lot & I had to just turn up & enjoy.

Becky

Becky Just Registered

Thank you, keep the positive recommendations coming, I am nearly brace enough to go it alone!

:thumbs: currawong likes this.
    Becky

Becky Just Registered

B
    'brave' not 'brace' !

Becky

Becky Just Registered

Your husband doesn't want to surprise you again for your 51st does he!! Thank you for your feed back, just one more question, did you book your own accommodation or did you book the accommodation with the package?

skivet

skivet Active Member

My cousin has done this lady's week for the last few years as a single. She loves it, had a great time with all the girls both skiing and socially.

Tricia

Tricia Just Registered

@Becky

Hi Becky ,myself and 2 friends are trying to go and can't find any details .have you got a contact or any information that would help
    Tricia

Richard

Richard Addicted Member Administrator

@*Xena*

*Xena*

*Xena* Active Member

Hehe. Yes I'd love that too, but we are investing into a bigger Jan/Feb trip this time. I booked my own accom. I stayed at Nelse Lodge, quite liked it. I didn't get the food package as most nights on the amim's we were out doing something. I also looked at Silverski & it would have been my best choice had I been on my own I think.

*Xena*

*Xena* Active Member

I have gone skiing a couple of times on my own for a long weekend, nothing like this experience to make you feel proud of yourself for being brave, going out into the world & conquering your fears of doing it alone, plus having an awesome time at the snow!!

chicski

chicski New Member

Been having skiing holidays with just my kids since the youngest was 12 months. Have met all sorts of lovely people along the way :)

ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

A foundation for young competition skiers is also sponsored by a NSW family who lost their daughter in a skiing accident at Perisher iirc. I'd spoken to someone in their family once as I was going to help out and the daughters mother told me her daughter had Falls Creek as a favourite.

chicski

chicski New Member

Amelia McGuiness ^^^

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.