Question Looking for a Lodge Membership in Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by krunchy70, Jun 21, 2017.

1. krunchy70

krunchy70 Just Registered

Hi
    We are a family of 4 keen skiers/boarders. We would love to be part of a lodge in Perisher. Anyone know of any good ones that are looking for new members?
    Any help will be much appreciated.

#1 krunchy70, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

Aurora Ski Lodge is worth contacting, cant say if they have memberships avail but it's been a tidy, well run lodge for some years.

http://www.auroraskiclub.com.au/

Ralph_Plough and krunchy70 like this.
  3. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Well-Known Member

Are you or your partner current or former military, reserve or emergency services? If so call the RAN Ski Club:
    www.ranskiclub.com.au

4. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Active Member

Canberra Alpine Club currently has membership vacancies. Ski in Ski out lodge at Perisher and a new lakeside lodge at Jindabyne. Check out how to join at cac.org.au

ladycamper and krunchy70 like this.
  5. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Last I heard there are shares for sale at The Coachman lodge in Smiggins (http://thecoachmanskilodge.com.au/) - it's comfortable, quiet, fully-catered/staffed, has car parking (digging-out sometimes required - means you have had a good week :)). I have posted lots of photos in/around the lodge over the years in this forum, and there are a fair few on the lodge website. Give the managers (Carolyn and Greg) a call and they can hook you up with the share registrar, or book a night or two and stay (it is available for general public bookings too) and see if it is to your taste. Disclaimer: My wife and I have been shareholders at The Coachman (and stayed as guests beforehand) for about 30 years.

Outside of that - say you are looking for a self-catering lodge or something up/downmarket - I'd heartily recommend Smiggins as an area for you to look for a lodge membership. Pretty-much all the lodges have easy access to the slopes and to the shuttle bus to Perisher and many have car parking.

krunchy70 likes this.
  6. krunchy70

Thank you. Sadly we're not but will pass on to a reservist friend.

7. krunchy70

Thank you Richard. Appreciate the support too

8. Whiteman

Whiteman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sadly, the RAN Perisher lodge is small, and is always booked out.

9. silva

silva Active Member

I recently got a email from Oldina saying they had memberships available. I have not stayed there but might be worth investigating

10. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

...and a place at Guthega a few months ago was advertising. (can't remember the name)

11. Polland

Polland Active Member

Id suggest staying at the lodge first before becoming a member.
    We stayed a few years at Altitude Lodge in Smiggins a few years, and experienced a very well run lodge, amazing food and felt right for us to get membership in the lodge. My family loves it.
    http://www.altitudelodge.com.au

Drop Phil a line on the contact link and he is very responsive for bookings and membership enquires etc

Good Luck

krunchy70 and Ted Harper like this.
  12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Also check the lodge rules about children. There are a few lodges that are quite restrictive about when children can stay. A long time ago Aurora (referred to by Richard above) was one of them. It was why my sister, who at that time had a young family, didn't join.

krunchy70 and Ted Harper like this.
  13. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

i second that - its worth staying at a few before, and mention that youre looking for membership. the lodges tend to be old school like that and memberships may become magically available to you.

ladycamper, krunchy70 and Ted Harper like this.
  14. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In 2014 I stayed at Boonoona Lodge at Perisher. I am not a member of any Lodge but I would certainly recommend this one, good food, clean rooms and the time I was there,kids friendly. Don't know if there are any vacancies.

notty, Slalom and krunchy70 like this.
  15. krunchy70

Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum. Will let you know how we get on!

16. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Same with the RAN Ski Club for Perisher lodge, no problems with Thredbo and Buller lodges. Official line it's a 'safety issue' reality certain senior members don't want children around them...

17. Slalom

Slalom Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It's owned by City Tattersalls in Sydney. Not sure that you can buy in to it.
    Have stayed here 4 times. Great hosts and very comfortable lodge.

18. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

A fellow and his wife I know here in Cairns are members.

19. Slalom

Slalom Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Members of the lodge or members of City Tattersalls? Every time I stayed there I had to purchase an annual City Tattersalls membership in order to be able to book the accomodation.

20. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

City Tatts members. I stayed there in 2014 and didn't have to go through the membership thing. I booked through Wotif, maybe that was the difference.

21. newman

newman Active Member

G'day Ted. For the last decade I've been a Thredbare patron but decided to mix it up this year and will be at the Coachman for a week starting July 16. Hope to see you then and looking forward to checking the lodge out as I have heard good things.

Ted Harper likes this.
  22. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

At this stage, I think we might only overlap on your last day - never say never though ;)

By way of a teaser, here is the dinner menu for last night and tonight - if you'all ever wondered why I ski all day every day when I am staying in the lodge, this (and the buffet breakfast) just might have something to do with it (blush):

Polland and Bertie Egg like this.
  23. IAB

IAB Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yum, making me hungry!

Polland likes this.
  24. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

See if I can make you thirsty too :) We have a pretty good bar also - here is a photo my wife took just now of me with a pre-dinner Espresso Martini:

coolair, aazz, Drewboy and 2 others like this.
  25. IAB

IAB Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not sure about the cherry ;) but looks tasty.

Bar behind you looks very well stocked, I'd struggle to get up to ski each morning :)

Ted Harper likes this.
  26. newman

newman Active Member

Awesome. Can't wait. Bring on that snow next week and we are all in style!

Ted Harper likes this.
  27. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

What's the ownership structure there Ted? I understand it has shares that can be bought or sold. Is there a holding company or similar?

I'd imagine all the lodges would be structured to limit the liability of members, but there are a variety of structures, clubs, co-operatives and possibly companies.

I'm just looking for potential gotchas, and member liability in the event of insolvency or lawsuit is one that comes to mind.

28. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

The Coachman is owned by a company (actually three companies but to all intents and purposes one) so you become "just" a shareholder. The company holds the lease on the building, the liquor licence, etc. Company has a board of directors - who are, and have historically been in the nearly 30 years I have been associated with that lodge, excellent. The board holds directors' insurance as any prudent company should (IMHO). The board interviews and appoints a lodge manager (one or a couple, most commonly a couple) on a contract to operate the lodge for some number of seasons. Once again in my period of association with that particular lodge the appointed managers have almost all been excellent. The lodge manager(s) interview and hire staff for each winter season and then the managers and hourly staff operate the lodge through the season under the oversight of the board. As a shareholder, or as general public, you pay your accommodation, turn up and enjoy it as you would a dinner-bed-and-breakfast hotel, then pay any bar tab when you leave. The company holds an AGM each year with published minutes, resolutions and audited accounts and these would presumably be available to an intending shareholder.

Anyway bottom line - and I am not a lawyer and this is in no way legal advice - is as I see it you would be no more or less exposed to downside risk under that structure as you would as a shareholder in any other private company. Sometimes you may have to write a cheque for some major issue, sometimes you might disagree with something the board might do - in which case of course you can do any of the things any shareholder of any other company can do ;)

Another lodge I have been a shareholder in (in Guthega) for an even longer time is a co-operative which operates as a sporting club (or some legalese in as far as it is for the advancement of sport).

I would guess the main structures underlying most of the lodges in Perisher would be something like one or other of those.

Marty_McSly and Polland like this.
  29. davec1

davec1 Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Our lodge has pretty tight restrictions on

The lodge our family is a member of (Karralika) has pretty tight restrictions on kids. Basically no kids under 5 y.o. except during designated "Kids Weeks". Until 2016 there was only one kids week each year, when it increased to 2, and this year there are 3 weeks - though all of these weeks are early or late in the season. W/C 17 June, 2 Sept, 9 Sept.

It effectively becomes a bit of a kids sanctuary during those weeks with lots of young families.

The upside is that the kids make friends at a young age and grow up together. The downside is that the adults are locked in to spring skiing conditions for the first few years. It is countered by the location, smack bang on front valley, half way up the Mitchell T-bar. It's the lodge that you see to your right with the pitched roof as you go up the Village 8.

30. PeterH

PeterH Active Member

Have a look at the Kosciusko Alpine Club.

www.kac.org.au

Lodges in Perisher, Charlotte Pass and Thredbo.

Kids welcome. Excellent food.

Been going for more than a century.

Ted Harper likes this.
  31. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

http://www.sasc-aus.com

Lodges in Perisher, Charlotte Pass and Thredbo.

Kids welcome. Excellent food.

Better than KAC :) not much rivalry either :);)LOLLOL

Billy_Buttons and Ted Harper like this.
  32. Deanski

Deanski Active Member

OUt of curiosity, what are the fees and structure?? and availability at your lodge. How many members are there already?