Leaving Australia is harder than it needs to be

Discussion in 'Passport' started by sly_karma, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

What's with filling out a card before departing Australia? A handful of questions that some statisticians somewhere tabulate. Leaving Sydney on Sat morning there were two dozen or so folks from the Security agency thingy keeping us safe by lining everyone up and quizzing them about their answers on the card. Meantime, the pre-flight security show was hopelessIy overwhelmed, nowhere near enough capacity to handle the people being thrown at it. I respectfully suggest there is a better way: drop the departure questionnaire card and free up the large space currently occupied by its collection and the lineup for same; install some much needed additional security capacity in there instead. If the info really is needed by someone, add the questions from the departure card to the pre-flight check in system the airlines use.

cin likes this.
  2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I think there is a fair argument to make that KSA is in a league of its own for putting.the travelling public last.

VSG, cin and ladycamper like this.
  3. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Yes, it looks like a parking business with an airport tacked on as an afterthought, but the departure card would be fed govt initiative rather than airport. Countries I've flown from recently (Canada, US, Mexico) don't have this additional piece of officialdom to administer, and rightly so: must cost Aust taxpayers plenty to collect those few pieces of data.

cin, ladycamper, cqen2l and 1 other person like this.
  4. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

For sure but you have to admit it is in keeping with all the other meaningless administrivia we subject travellers to.

5. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It's useful to remember that we are still lags in irons.
    Our penal colony mentality remains strong.
    You can't just expect to walk in and out of jail.

6. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Because security.

VSG and Edgecrusher like this.
  7. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Huh? We're getting rid of them, not accepting them in.
    And when was the last time a flight originating in Australia got hijacked?
    Security is merely an excuse for all sorts of crap. I know for a fact that about 12 years ago there were holes in the fence of Sydney airport, so anyone could have got in. Were they worried? Apparently not. Not nearly as worried as they were by someone who might want to take a cup of coffee on board. Security bs is just that - bs.

ladycamper likes this.
  8. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

9. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

i love the fanfare of queing in airport lines, the excitement and anticipation of the high levels of customer service, and the great selection of shopping, dining and pre-boarding entertainment.

Tanuki, LMB, try hard and 4 others like this.
  10. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Im not so sure we are living in a Gaol/jail.. bit harsh I think,

11. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

The air industry's Theatre of Security has been well discussed. Why does Australia have to add a further step before this foolish process?

ladycamper likes this.
  12. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Don't tell me Life isn't a Highway either...yeah I'm lookin' at you Rascal Flatts

13. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

We excel at reinventing the wheel

14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

but without this "security" you would have a whole organisation of (union-led?) bureaucrats out of a job.

I presume they are the ones justifying the requirements?

ladycamper and MisterMxyzptlk like this.
  15. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

Nothing to do with unions.... all airport security is to pander to US paranoia.

Donza, skidiva, mannyk and 2 others like this.
  16. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Just draw a penis on the back of it and lodge it.
    It's recognised world wide as a sign of intended disdain toward Govt agencies.
    People in Govt agencies often get forms with a penis drawn on them and understand the meaning of it.

17. scalymanfish

scalymanfish Addicted Member

When I was jammed in the train like a sardine this morning I was wishing it was really easy for people to leave Australia.

cold wombat and ladycamper like this.
  18. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Bwahahaha

Quite the opposite in fact, big business with products to sell drives the securorty industry, not the $10/hr chubb rent a cops

And what taxman said, our security is moar stringent than the usa

19. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Exit pax cards have existed for as long as I have been leaving the country - something like 35 years.

ladycamper likes this.
  20. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

This true.... but the whole palava re security has ramped up due to US concerns......

Try India though if you think exit forms are bad..... government forms in triplicate for staying in a hotel.....

21. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

And for those that are playing the convict card - NZ have an equally stringent departure card you have to fill out.

22. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Isn't it just an extra question to check whose sheep you may have been rooting?

23. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

Phaaaaaark ..................... Not another experts thread.

Airport Security........................ I reckon we get an Indian Call Centre to handle it. :rolleyes: <shakes head>

24. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

FIFY

25. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

As much as it pains me to say, the bureaucrats can stay, they just need to be added to security duty instead. As much as I hate it, security screening is here to stay. That is the bottleneck at Sydney, not the departure cards. Repurpose that huge lineup area and its staff to handle the volume properly.

26. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I reckon it is likely bureaucratic inertia. They have been collecting statistics in a particular form for 35 years (to my knowledge and probably longer) and the cost of designing and implementing some other system has not crossed their minds/costs too much/is too hard and they couldn't be arsed to improve things.

27. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

What about all the BS just to fly to (wait for it) NZ. I mean how many people considered non-threatening in Australia are a threat to NZ and vice versa. If EVER there was a case of bureaucratic red tape masquerading as security it's the whole NZ-Aus immigration process hooha!

I mean every year standing in a queue of 200 people waiting to screen baggage, then stand in a separate but just as tedious queue to prove like the last seven or eight Augusts that the not-so-grey chap in the passport is STILL you and that boy your wife & yourself accompany is (yes!) still your boy just another year older.

That's without mentioning the waits for Long term parking buses that cluster in 2/3s, the queues at Air NZ that seem to take an hour for baggage check in (3-4 staff for hundreds at 7 am, although have to say generally a good airline cross the ditch with!), plus the waiting in the terminal lounge.

If the skiing wasn't good - you really wouldn't bother with airports for just a week!

Better to chill & cruise by car to the Oz ski fields, stopping at wineries and bakeries.

And if one is really lucky - there may even be some snow!!
    (Rant over - for now!):p

28. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Yep Legs that about sums it up. I saw them clear out the lineup so fast last weekend that security was absolutely swamped. Did any of them head in there to see if they could help? Nope, the supervisor told them all to stand up and stretch for a few minutes.

And if anyone doubts that Security Screening is mostly an elaborate and expensive prop to keep the airline industry thriving, what other explanation is there for a separate lineup for business and first class passengers? Commercial interests trump in every time.

ladycamper likes this.
  29. cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Must admit Sly to enjoying the terrorist friendly first and business treatment.

30. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

I would too if I had chosen to spring for it. Jelly bro.

31. cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Points mate. Not many left though. :(

32. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

I was on points too, but econ only. Most of my points get given to kids for BC-Nova Scotia travel. This dispersed family thing is dashed inconvenient, what?

33. cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'll say! Paid points for son to travel Europe last month. He had a hissy fit when we wouldn't stump up for business class. :rolleyes:

34. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Forreal? I mean, its a sham but thats not much of a motivator.

35. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Emirates were doing direct to Christchurch daily last time I looked.... in B777

36. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

flights direct to Christchurch?

That would be from Sydney I assume?

Good ol Mel gets neglected by most of the airlines. :)-/)

ladycamper likes this.
  37. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yes Sydney, its from. air nz also do directs to Rotorua from here too.

38. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

whenever I transit through Hong Kong, I have to go through the rigmarole of carryon baggage checking.

One would presume that if I am going through transit, then my baggage has already been checked at the start of my trip, so unless they think I am manufacturing illegal goods mid-flight, then why is there a need to add this extra check for in-transit passengers?

39. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Oh I had that experience too, coffee shop staff arguing with me that my coffee for certain had the shot of vanilla I ordered, when plainly it didnt. Server actually callled barista over to back her up. Utterly farcical. Someone else got my vanilla coffee by mistake and the barista had the shits because they insisted on making another instead of just adding vanilla to mine.

40. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

we experienced same in Auckland

41. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Worst we had was a weather diverted flight to Tokyo that landed in Kansai briefly.
    No one allowed to leave secure area, but all still had to go through transit security baggage check :rolleyes:

42. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Back to the original topic. What strikes me is how much of the data asked for on the card they already have - name, DOB, Passport No, Flight No. All necessary to book the dam flight anyway - Have they never heard of data matching?

43. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'd hazard a guess that it is more about looking for inconsistencies compared to the data matching.

44. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Pulling a long bow there Azz, as has been pointed out this departure card has been around since well before the War on Terra. Someone decades ago decided it would be good to have some info on how long visitors stayed in Australia and how long Aussies were going abroad for.

It occurred to me there are already a few govt questions on the airline check-in kiosk/web page, stuff pertaining to security and so on. Surely the extra few questions from the departure card could be put on there as well. Sydney had 25-30 uniformed chappies collecting this vital info when I was there, but it could all be done electronically and the staff and real estate put to much better use.

45. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

All true and I'm not saying this is an efficient way of doing this - but the reasons to keep doing things can change with time and circumstances.

46. Incider

Incider Dedicated Member

Yeah I don't understand why they need my address when I leave and return as an Aussie passport holder. If I go to NZ for 2 days for business, well my address in Oz on my return is the same as it was two days before I left....

On my departure and arrival cards I use as many abbreviations as I can (which would mean nothing to the lay person) and have only ever been asked to explain them once!!! (all this whilst still carrying 10 x my allowable duty free ciggie limit)...

47. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

I know who you are Incider and I've chatted to my customs mates about you duty free

They are snapping their rubber gloves in anticiption. LOL

48. socold

socold Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

twice ive been sent letters after getting back telling me my voting enrollment details are wrong. Im fairly sure thats how they figured it out.

49. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Another item that taxpayers are unwittingly covering at vast expense: compulsory voting. Zillions of bucks spent following up on people who couldn't give a rat's about politics.

ladycamper and JoeKing like this.
  50. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

I'm not sure it costs all that much given a decent electoral role needs to be kept anyway. I'm strongly in favour of compulsory voting. If you really don't want to vote, just turn up, get marked off and throw your ballot in the bin.

FWIW, it takes about 5 minutes of time for every year of democracy it buys you. Turning up to vote is not much of a commitment when you look at it like that. If you really don't like the candidates on offer, do something about it- either get involved or write to your local member telling him or her what you don't like. They do take notice- if you're willing to go to the trouble of getting in touch, then you obviously care enough. You probably won't get the response you would like, but it will make at least a little difference.

azzski likes this.