Snow Report Lake Mountain 2015 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Richard, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Richard

Richard Addicted Member Administrator

jungfrau

jungfrau Active Member

Any tips for a lake mountain Virgin? Am an experienced Snow/Skier otherwise?
    Thinking of going tomo for a couple of Snow photos and a bit of a walk.. Any good views or photographic places anyone recommend?
    Will I need chains for AWD? Thanks :)

teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Are you saying you're experienced or inexperienced in cross country skiing?
    A good way to get out to see the views is on snow shoes if you're not a skier. There are plenty of places for views and photographs, depending on visibility - eg: get a photo of Melbourne, or Buller or other places when the visibility is good. The answer is probably 'no' in regards to chains, but it will depend on conditions. Call in on the left side of the road in Narbethong (public phone box outside, opposite the CFA) and we'll be able to assist with all your questions and needs for the day.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    jungfrau

jungfrau Active Member

Thanks for that.. Experienced downhill Skier and general snow enthusiast . Not planning on skiing tomo but more just to get amongst some snow, take some pics and check out lake mountain.
    If we do go I'll stop in on the way! Thanks

:thumbs: teckel likes this.
    Vertikar

Vertikar Active Member Season Pass Gold

:thumbs: Equus likes this.
    cin

cin Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

wow, good cam positioning to view snowfalls!

teckel

There used to be one mounted on the ski patrol building which showed the trail head, pre fire. Building and cam were burned. So good to see the trail head again :thumbs:

:thumbs: Vertikar and Equus like this.
    wannaski

wannaski Dedicated Member

Hi Teckel, thought you would be the person to get advice from . We always go to Falls Creek for our skiing holiday -which we will be doing later in the season . But we are craving some snow play until then so thought I would take the two kids to Lake Mountain so we could all have a play . We live in Adelaide and I only have 3 nights for the trip , thought it would be nice to see some different scenery. We will prob stay in Bendigo on way over and was just wondering where would be a cheap place to stay for a night close to LM. Also any places that are a must see around the area .
    Thanks

Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

If you want to stay cheap, there's always the towns a little further afield like Alexandra and the likes, it's only a 1 hour drive or less up to LM from there.

:thumbs: wannaski likes this.
    Snorkler

And for kids, this isn't much of an issue. I say that with words of much experience.

chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Buxton and Narbethong also have options, The Crossways in Marysville itself has funky old cabins and the caravan park has unit/cabin accomm too. Oh, and there's the great big, new, multi-million dollar convention centre/pub replacement (your taxes at work).

wannaski

Thanks for that - will check it out

teckel

The caravan park at Marysville is expensive as far as caravan parks go. Narby caravan park is cheap, but facilities are nowhere as good. You could try the Big 4 caravan park at Taggerty (I'm not sure on prices, but it's popular summer and winter). Unfortunately, there's not much cheap accommodation in this area since the fires - most rebuilt accommodation is at the luxury end. Alexandra is a good option and is only 30 mins from Marysville, so 50 minutes from the top carpark of the mountain. Also check Thornton and Eildon. If you're looking to save money, hire nothing on the mountain and take your own lunch, Buy comfort foods only up there (hot chocolates, coffees, chips etc)

:thumbs: Snorkler likes this.
    wannaski

Thanks for all your help

Snorkler

Snowatch is projecting the biggest snowfalls to happen at Lake Mountain.

teckel

Well, that's nice, and I hope they're right. But I can't see where they say it. It's the main reason I don't frequent Snowatch any more - they don't seem to even acknowledge the existence of Lake Mountain :tany:

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

:rolleyes:...most of the NSW-focussed sites Pay little attention to Hotham, Falls & Buller.

It seems beneath them or maybe too much trouble to acknowledge the smalls!

Marysville Caravan Park

Marysville Caravan Park Just Registered

I am disappointed to see "teckel" make a comment about Marysville Caravan Park being expensive. I believe that business in the area should be encouraging visitors to stay in the area and support each other. It is up to the visitor to make a decision on what their budget is, not other businesses. Marysville Caravan Park is a great family park, the closest to Lake Mountain, in Marysville it self. there is a lot going for it as the bookings currently indicate it is a very popular caravan park and clearly not that expensive. Yes Marysville does not have the same amount of accommodation as it did before 2009, but it is worth while checking what is here before moving on if planning to go to Lake Mountain.
    There is also ski hire shops available in Marysville as well as Narbethong and Lake Mountain.

Marysville Caravan Park

wannaski - Marysville also has grea places to see and things to do. have a look at the Marysville Lake Mountain Visitor Information Cente, www.marysvilletourism.com for so much more information. Or download the Marysville App. We hope you enjoy your visit to Marysville

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I had a look at your website last night and the prices for camping looked very much par for the course. Do you have any drying facilities for skiers?

Marysville Caravan Park

Yes we do have an excellent drying room for all of your snow drying needs. Thankyou for checking us along with other parks.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    teckel

I'm sorry you feel that way, Christine. I actually was supporting local businesses, unless you don't consider Narbethong, Taggerty, Alex and Eildon to be local. Is pointing out the pros and cons of various places so terrible? As I said, your facilities are good. The poster asked a question and the determining factor to that poster was price. My response was directed at that consideration alone.

teckel

Well, it was a good day today. Not a single complaint from anyone. Everyone came back late. Plenty of snow. :)
    Snowshoers had a great time as did the snow players.
    Even though it was a chain day, and every set of chains that we hired out were used, none were broken or damaged, despite reports of other chains littering the roads. We even hired out several of our low profile chains.

:thumbs: Chowder11, Equus, currawong and 2 others like this.
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Glad you had a good day @teckel

Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

wos happening at Lake Mt...cams of carpark seem to indicate that its raining/wet snow falling..

who is the bright spark that erected the" slippery "sign next to tobogann slope...WTF....LOL

weerab

I just got back from a day at LM. It was a bit patchy at the start of the trails but very nice up top despite only 10cm cover. It was also pretty crunchy earlier on but softened up nicely later, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some rain/sleet today, it was just on 0°C at the carpark.

I had to call it a day after about 3 hours as my lower back was giving me some grief. Sadly the White Rabbit is closed, I thought they might have retained it as a bar/ restaurant, so I popped into the Coldstream Brewery for a quick Pale ale on the way home. It was very cosy with an open fire going.

Definitely on the wrong side of the city for day trips to the snow, there was roadworks ( 3 guys standing around!) near the entrance to city link on the way to the Bolte and a 3 car pile up at the bottom of the West Gate Bridge, just a typical Friday.

:thumbs: Equus and teckel like this.
    Red Hit Run

Red Hit Run Just Registered

I was there last Saturday for just some tobogganing with my son and to introduce him to snow before a trip to either Hotham or Falls in August. It was a perfect day for it, sunny at crisp. Most importunely he loved it and keeps asking when we can go back to the snow, so that's a massive result in my books. Mind you it was heaving, and the final few kms to the car park were a nightmare. Mainly thanks to a few people deciding it was appropriate to stop on the ice in a 2wd and then wonder why they had lost traction... It took an age.

teckel

^^ Glad you enjoyed it, RHR. :thumbs: Traffic is only one of several reasons why people should get up there early on weekends.

baliboy

baliboy Just Registered

We are coming to Australia from Bali, there are 3 of us, is there much snow there or should we go to Mt Bulla, we want tobgan and play, no ski, would Wednesday next week be good. ! is handicapped and 2 young ones, we could not be able to put snow chains on wheels by ourselves, what are the options, is it safe to drive, we have Mitsubishi ASX, thanks

weerab

I'm watching the BBC series "Extras" at the moment. As they would say "Are you havin' a laugh"?

teckel

I doubt that chains will be required on Wednesday, although things could change.
    If you are disabled, you should find it a lot easier to get around Lake Mountain than Mt Buller.
    Drop in on the left side of the road as you pass through Narbethong to hire your gear. We can advise you then whether you need snow chains.

baliboy

baliboy Just Registered

no, this is a serious question/s

baliboy

baliboy Just Registered

thank you, we look forward to it, we have never seen snow before, except on tv, hiring clothes etc no problem? thanks for your reply

teckel

Yes, you can hire anything you need from us. Except beanies and goggles. And you can buy them here, anyway. P:lenty of everything.

Rustyxc

Rustyxc Just Registered

Went to Lake Mountain last night (tue 28th) and tried night skiing for the first time. They run it onTuesday nights depending on good snow and weather. There were a few of us out there by headtorch and we all enjoyed skating on the trails. They were skidoo grooming so it was easier once they had done that. Not all trails were open due to safety reasons but enough to have a good ski. There are details on the website about how it works. It was easy to drive up after work from Melbourne and ski for a while on good snow. Just thought I would spread the word as it was quite pleasant (ie not really cold) and when the moon shone through we didn't even need the headtorches as the moonlight was fantastic and it made it quite surreal. Love the place !!

:thumbs: TeleXC and teckel like this.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

hope they offering Off peak rates for this.....boys keeping the dingos amuzed with night time play...they probably come to check out the spectacle!!!LOL

Rustyxc

Rustyxc Just Registered

Free actually !

Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Well-Known Member

What is the deal with overnight snow camping at lake Mtn. ? Is this permitted at LM ? and if so how much more do they hit you up for at the toll gate ??I know you can hike in via Keppell's track and leave the car at Lady Talbot drive where it meets the Keppell track . That seems to appeal to me

teckel

Yes. Overnight camping is permitted. Just let admin know so that you don't spark a major search and rescue mission when they find your car in the carpark when they're closing for the night. I don't know if/how much they charge as entry - whether they hit you once only or once for every day. Call the resort (5957 7222) and find out.

Yes. People have been known to stay at Keppels Hut and hike/snowshoe/ski into the resort that way. I had some customers do that just last weekend. Remember though, that the hut is not yours for the weekend, but must be shared with allcomers.

teckel

Big congratulations to local young ladies Katerina (Kat) Paul and Casey Wright who showed Australia how it's done last weekend at Perisher in the first round of the National XC Championships. Casey and Kat were the first 2 Australian ladies over the line in both the 5km and the sprint.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    :thumbs: Equus, Ziggy and Pademelon like this.
    PeregrineFalcon

PeregrineFalcon Active Member

Hi all (teckel)

Hoping to take the kids for a ski at LM tomorrow. How are conditions?

teckel

It's hard to know without up to date cams, but the snow will be wet. The precipitation this morning fell as r**n.

PeregrineFalcon

thanks teckel.

any further updates from those returning today gratefully appreciated!

teckel

Reports are that it's icy. Other than that, I can't help. Mainly snowplayers today.

The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member Season Pass Silver

Nice snow there today.....dry and cold....full cover

:thumbs: teckel and TeleXC like this.
    teckel

100% happy campers today - snowplayers and skiers alike :D
    No complaints from anyone.
    Good to see you again PF :)

PeregrineFalcon

Yes, it was a nice day. Couple of patchy bits near home, but the rest was really nice. Good to see you too teckel. Thanks

chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Super snow at LM today, fresh, dry, slightly crunchy and groomed trails to boot. The signs recommended fitting chains but some experienced drivers didn't bother. I gather AWD helps. No-one much about, no-one directing traffic in the car park. A few school groups were out on the trails, with Frankston H.S. setting the pace. No sign of the hotshots from Alex. Rubicon groups were out there, too. Full, groomed cover all the way. Interested to see Fischer ski demos at the base, with interesting options to demo a variety of skis and boots, with some expert advice, too. Worth a look. Great to see such good conditions. Suggest people check the incoming weather, then get up there and make the most of it!

teckel

Talking about chains, AWDs etc, I have a question for the mountain staff. This year a number of cars are trying to say that they're AWD/4WD because they have a snowflake button next to the gear stick. One joker even went so far as to tell me he had diff lock. On his Holden Astra. ROFL OK, so I've researched this snowflake symbol and apparently what it does is change the gear ratios so that it starts in a higher gear, and therefore reduces wheel spin. This may be a good thing, but it doesn't change a 2WD into a AWD or 4WD. But then, I get returning customers telling me that they were told on the mountain that they didn't need chains because they have the snowflake button. So my question to the mountain staff is whether chains are only required on 2WDs without the snowflake button, or whether chains are required for all 2WDs.

:thumbs: EquatorBunny likes this.
    EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Active Member

Happy Mr and Mrs EB at LM late yesterday and today. :) Arrived about 4pm yesterday, the snow was quite soft. Not too many people around late in the arvo so we had the trails to ourselves. Skated all we can muster for an hour.
    Today was different. So many people on the slopes. All happy faces and very skillful! Snow was neither too icy nor soft today. Just right for me, a tad too slow for speedy Mr EB. haha
    Oh, saw a kid getting picked up by a skidoo on Panorama today. Hoped he is alright.
    All in all, it was great skating around seeing happy faces. The sun peeked out for a little bit but the clouds didn't dampen everyone's spirit. :)

:thumbs: Tamar and teckel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.