Kids skis

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ski, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ski

ski Active Member

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice on kids skis please.

My daughter is 11 and is 152cms tall. We are skiing for a week in Aus next week and then 3 weeks in Canada at Christmas. She's a very good skier.

Instead of paying 4 weeks ski hire here and overseas (She normally ends up with pretty dodgey hire skis anyway!) - I'm thinking it will be cheaper to buy as I'm hoping she won't grow too much between now and December. We're happy to buy new (low end skis) or second hand.

We can stop in Canberra on our way through.

Is there anywhere you would recommend for kids skis either new or second hand? Is there anything we should look out for ?

thanks in advance for any help

2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Rhythm in Cooma is very big, has decent prices (very good in spring) and you have to drive straight past it on the way to the snow (I infer you're from Sydney). They'll also point you to the best choices within your price range.

Budgiesmuggler, ski and Chaeron like this.
  3. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

ski and Chaeron like this.
  4. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Just got a new pair of K2 missy twin tips for my 11yr old daughter delivered from here - http://www.skibartlett.com/ (cost $264 including delivery)

Have also previously got a lot of kids gear from here - https://www.levelninesports.com/

ski likes this.
  5. ski

ski Active Member

We're from Brisbane so not many ski shops here - and the one or two that are here are very very very expensive!

6. ski

ski Active Member

That's great - how long did they take to get to you after ordering?

7. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

SkiBartlett are a little slow, they took 12 days from the order date. Level Nine Sports are much quicker, I've had items from them come in as little as four days.

We're from Brisbane as well. I was out at Snowcentral at Keperra two weeks ago and they had very little in the way of skis for kids. Even their second hand gear was expensive and well worn.

ski likes this.
  8. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

Try straight line in Canberra as well as Rythem as they both have good kids skis.

I've also used level 9 and had great service.

ski likes this.
  9. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

The main issue is the boots. Once you have good boots that fit you can buy skis and bindings on line.

You really should go to a ski shop to get boots though.

There's the Roces adjustable boots (my 6 year old daughter uses them) but I imagine by the time you get to the teen years you need a more traditional boot with more support.

ski likes this.
  10. ski

ski Active Member

We have boots - which is great - she's grown big enough to fit into a old pair of mine (I only wore a couple of times) - so they'll do her this trip and Canada hopefully - love saving money!

11. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

Cool in that case L9 (US) and Freeze (UK) plus of course Aussie on line retailers like Aussie Skier and Rhythm are great. So long as they know your BSL they can mount the bindings appropriately (and you'd just check when you get to the mountain).

ski likes this.
  12. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

We're also heading to Canada with a reluctant teenage daughter who rarely skis these days and hence doesn't have her own skis I decided to buy her some ex-rental performance skis from a shop in Jindabyne who we have used a lot in the past (won't put their name out here publicly as it was a "cash" sale -$200 with poles- but happy to pass on via PM if you'd like details). On a side note, I tried her skis and liked them so much that they're now mine - she can have my old pair ;)

13. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

Annabuzzy we have been through the Roces, with Miss Zac and now with little man. I'd say they are the best kids on the market until or not long after they start to use stocks.

We left Miss in them for a little longer than we should and it has taken her a season longer to get forward in her boots as she is so used to the upward position in the Roces.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  14. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

Good tip. Thanks. My daughter got her poles now and is just starting her second pair of Roces. Maybe we should look to get her in more traditional boots earlier than I thought?!?!

15. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

I would, I think they say stocks at level 5 but really at this stage they are just getting used to holding them.

Once they start actually pole planting then they are starting to get forward and the Roces are to upright.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  16. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Someone I ski with occasionally volunteers at Lifeline in Jindabyne and was astounded at the variety of ski gear that people donate; often of good quality and particularly kids because they grow out of it so quickly. It might be worth a call to see what they have?

Annabuzzy and cin like this.