Keeping Toddler Warm?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by SDix, Dec 15, 2016.

SDix

SDix Just Registered

So this is the first year that we're taking our toddler skiing, just want him to experience it now so that he will (hopefully) love it as much as we do. And we want to be extra cautious with keeping him warm. We gonna be layering him up, and we have thermals and stuff, but been wondering whether we need to get one of these for the pram: http://www.prams.net/kaiser-iglu-footmuff? Is it necessary, it says it's for winter, but do you think it's gonna be warm enough for snow, and is it necessary?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Where are you going and how old is your child?

Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement Addicted Member

Dress the kid in what ever you would wear, except go onesie to avoid the gap between pants and jacket.

Avoid the pram, they are a pain in the snow and walking will keep the toddler warm, and if they need a lift use a back pack thingy.

:thumbs: Annabuzzy likes this.
    Karicta

Karicta Dedicated Member

^^^. This, except I would say make sure toddler has one extra layer than you, and basically always has a beanie, gloves and warm waterproof boots on

Pram will be useless anywhere there is snow

absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

That depends entirely on where @SDix is going. At Steamboat Springs and many other North American resorts that are real towns, a pram can be very useful depending on where you are staying. Certainly less useful in purpose built, snow covered resorts like Big White.

The difference being that in towns, the Council's job is to keep the sidewalks as snow and ice free as possible, whereas a place like Big White will try to maintain snow coverage in the 'village' to the maximum extent possible.

Karicta

Karicta Dedicated Member

Hence the reference to 'snow', but I wasn't clear enough, I agree.

Even in Aus ie perished village v FC; or even FC with cleared roads....

absentskier

:thumbs:

Budgiesmuggler

Yep we took pram to Nth America and it was a big help which is why I asked where they were going.

Airports, shopping, most roads are cleared.

sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Just make sure you have plenty of snacks close at hand. The right clothing is important for insulation, but heat comes from within.

Ralph_implement

Oh definitely take a stroller, we always take an elcheapo one, it works for shopping trips/airports, but never in the snow.

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Yeah we take out 70 buck target travel pram.

:thumbs: Ralph_implement likes this.
    Ralph_implement

We actually picked up a second hand McLaren more recently, its been pretty good as the wheels are a tad bigger than the Target jobbies, and it's light.

Budgiesmuggler

Mountain buggy nano - fits in airline overhead. Can keep baby sleeping all the way to the gate.

:thumbs: piolet likes this.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Mines got fatties!

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

e had a baby sleeping bag/suit thingy which we got from REI. It had a hood, arms and split legs. The legs were great because we could use a baby backpack while the daughter was wearing the suit.

USD70 from REI

:thumbs: Ralph_implement likes this.
    Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

You won't need that. Just layer them up well and don't keep them out in the weather for too many hours.

We've been taking our kids to the snow since they were 6 months old. They look like the Michelin man when you dress them up.

[​IMG]

:thumbs: piolet and Telemark Phat like this.
    Budgiesmuggler

SDix

SDix Just Registered

Thanks everyone, this has been a big help! :D And those outfits are absolutely adorable!!!!!! Definitely a little bit in love with them :D

teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

So you still haven't told us where you're going. Had you done so, I may have contributed. (You are aware, I presume, that this forum is an Australian based forum, so we have no idea what country you're talking about) Btw, I think the item you started the thread with is complete overkill for use in Australia, especially for a toddler.

absentskier

Where are you going?

teckel

I'm wondering if they weren't promoting that product?

absentskier

So am I.

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

It's an interesting tactic if it is promotion. What it has done is flush out several superior products.

Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

precisely, very expensive little wrap

Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Who says prams don't do snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbs: chunky likes this.
    skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

When lived in the UK and traveled to continrnt in winter we used to have a bugaboo chameleon with the snow wheels fitted, which replaced the smaller castoring wheels with fixed larger wheels, and the foot muff. Was rubbish on cleared areas as needed to drift it or lift the front and pivot to get around corners, on snow just drifted it around. Foot muff plus columbia onesie kept rugrats toasty as. Also had the Columbia two piece set that had the bib and brace. Make sure it has zips in the legs so as to change nappies without having to do a complete strip.

teckel

OP hasn't viewed the thread for over 3 days - since immediately after posting post #18 above.

:thumbs: sly_karma likes this.
    coolair

coolair Well-Known Member Season Pass Gold

got good brakes?

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

haha, my initial thought too :eek:

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Good effort to do that SB. Pushing a pram at Dinner Plain through the snow was frustrating enough for me and you do it on the main range.

AnnaMary

AnnaMary Just Registered

I think this is perfect skiing suite for kids.