Kamchatka

Discussion in 'Passport' started by buckwheat, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I think in your situation where you'll be in Canada through to March, Alaska is probably going to be the better option. There are a few more different options ie. resort, plus heli and cat operations out of Girdwood, Valdez, Haines etc. In Girdwood you have the option of the resort (Alyeska), cat or heli and you can probably get onto these at fairly short notice.

Kamchtaka is definately worth checking out, but it may be better to organise at the end of a European season (I guess you plan on doing one of those in the future?). Then you can do it via Moscow which makes it simpler to organise allround.

Alaska and Kamchatka are similar in many respects. They will get similar weather patterns. Can get plenty of bad weather so April is usually the best time. Huge amount of terrain and relatively low altitudes and both close to sea. Both have great skiing terrain. Kamchatka though has all the volcanoes which does certainly make it more visually striking. Alaska has consistent long steep pitches. Kamchatka probably has longer verticals, steep up top then easing off lower down but going very long.

The heli in Alaska can be pretty hard core (Kamchatka also but maybe not quite as much), so you need to be pretty confident in your riding skills and fitness, but if you are doing it after your Canada season this should be less of an issue than when I did it going in cold from Aussie summers in both cases.

Food sources are similar - both have plenty of fresh Salmon & Halibut - but I found it much more interesting in Russia - they used a lot more imagination in preparing their dishes.

2. Bogong

Bogong Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

French documentary on skiing volcanoes in Kamchatka is on ABC1 now!

3. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Odd time for it. What was it called?

4. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ok just looked up the ABC program on their website.

Last Frontiers Explorers - Dancing On Volcanoes.

Wonder if this is inthe same series as another one shown earlier this year on northern Norway & Sweden?

5. Bogong

Bogong Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

It was called something ambiguous like "The last explorers: volcanoes", look it up in a television guide. It's just finished and was actually quite good. Featured the world freestyle ski champion and three of his cronies being dropped off on top of volcanoes by huge Russian helicopters, interspersed with time in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatki talking to locals like vulcanologists, meteorologists and skiing off the side of ships, etc.

One hour of real fun and magnificent scenery. One day I must go there. [​IMG]

#55 Bogong, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Just digging up this thread as Seth planted a seed in my mind this morning about the weakness of the Euro.

Maybe, just maybe.........

7. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

Nice bump. Still on my to do list.

8. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Does remind though when looking at Flory Kerns website a few weeks ago, that a few were killed in an avalanche there recently.

9. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Hugh the NZ guide I did the trip with in 2004 is studying in Dunedin at the moment so is only guiding partime although he had a stint in India recently.

Flory Kern a German guide who I was also with at that time has been doing this quite a few years and is very good (despite the tragedy last month). He is German but his english is excellent. http://www.flory-kern.de/heliskiing/kamchatka-heliskiing-2010

Hugh and Flory were working at the time with a couple of Russians Vladimir & Nikolai but split from them a couple of years later. http://www.vertikalny-mir.com/en_index.php
    Vladimir has also taken groups of Russians out to NZ.

#59 Heinz, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  10. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Great thread. Cin has a tendency to bring up his crazy idea of opening a ski resort around this area.

11. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

cin's far east russian boutique ski resort is on the mainland, but nevertheless this place looks great!

12. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Kamchatka is still 'mainland'. It is a peninsula. There are a couple of ski resorts around Petropavlovsk.

13. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

ah it is too, always thought it was an island. cins future ski paradise is north east of Vladivostoc, in a secret but awesome location to be revealed within 2 years of me winning the 20M lotto next weekend. Sno infoers get an instant bonus free 1 day skiing for each 5 day pass.

oh, and snowboarding is banned! rules are enforced by the KGB, who I will need to pay off to make sure no russian greenies get in my way of progress.

14. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

You may have been thinking of Sakhalin?

KGB is now the FSB.

15. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Heinz - is there anywhere you haven't been skiing, you must be the most well travelled skiing moustache in the continent?

Kamchatka looks epic, truly epic, has long been a dream as a natural extension northwards along the Pacific rim from Japan.....

16. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Thanks for pointing me to this thread @Heinz
    You're a wealth of knowledge.

Much as I hate the Russian Visa process I might have to cave to PB and go after reading this - just not this year - too tight a schedule to get back for friends arriving. Seoul it is!