Japan trains, buses, internal flights, car hire, discounts

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I've created this thread about Japan's trains, buses, internal flights, car hire, discounts, snow tyres, etc, because all of that good info goes into the Japan planning thread, but tends to get buried in page after page of (good) info.

It's best to post, not details of your own arrangements, but specific info about NEX Suica deals, discounts on NEX, JR passes, bus timetables, car hire places, baggage limits, etc.

So post it here!!

Kezzaj666 likes this.
  2. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

as an FYI, car hire for a cube for 2 weeks through Nissan on Tocoo ended up 10000yen cheaper than through the simulation.

3. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah we did okay also smitty. And much cheaper than an equivalent through Toyota car rental.

4. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

From memory an awd cube with snow tyres ended up 7000yen per day

5. Donza

Donza Pool Room

http://jnto.org.au/nex-tokyo-direct-ticket-for-foreign-visitors-to-japan/

cheaper NEX ticket

Cheaper freeway ETC card (very very worth it )
    http://jnto.org.au/hayatabi-central-nippon-expressway-pass-2014/

Central Nippon Expressway Company Limited is beginning sales of the Hayatabi Central Nippon Expressway Pass 2014 for overseas visitors to Japan. This pass allows users an unlimited use of the expressways in the central Japan region for a flat fee for 2-14 consecutive days during a certain period of time.

For instance my fees to drive from Tokyo to Hakuba via Fuji were in the realm of 8000 yen (even more)
    a seven day pass is 10,000 yen

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I booked 6 days of Cube hire to/from Nagano for Y35xxx, some somewhere around 5800-6000Y/day. This is with snow tires (free from Nagano).

7. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Thanks for this link. Does work out a little cheaper for my trip, but not too much, Will investigate further.

Edit: Negged, only begins 25/01/14.

8. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Is it just me, or is something wrong with Hyperdia at the moment in terms of ticket costs?
    Been planning some trips over the last couple of days and it either displays zero cost or silly prices e.g. Tokyo to Togarinozawa-Onsen for Y290.

9. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'm getting Y8,700 for Tokyo-Togari.

#9 PMG, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. Sandy

There's been a problem with hyperdia today

11. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Started yesterday, but seems to be OK now.

12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Has anyone used the new TOO COO site to book a car? Ive found it pretty confusing

13. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Quick question, is it likely to be very busy/difficult to get the shink from Tokyo to Nagano then train/bus to nozawa on a saturday afternoon? Fine to just rock up and buy the ticket there and then?

14. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Shouldn't be a problem at all unless perhaps a special holiday weekend? Get both train tickets in Tokyo. If you have ski gear lineup by a entry to a non-reserved car maybe half hour ahead to get a decent spot to stash skis.

15. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I havent booked yet but went through the exercise to get the quote. Pretty exy for a Wingroad for a couple of days where we're going. I used the Car Rental Brand button.

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I went through the process then got to the end and it said it looks like you need snow tires + 4wd (duh). Then I had to fill out a special request form where you fill out the form and tocoo pretty much book it for you. I havent heard back from them yet, I did that on the weekend.

I was getting Y38xxx for 6 days Wingroad hire nagano/nagano.

17. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think they're on holidays for a week from tomorrow.

18. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah the auto-reply said I would get a reply the week of the 6th. Not too much of an issue for me.

19. Glensheea

Glensheea Just Registered

Hi, I am a newbie to Japan. We are spending night of 1st at Haneda airport and then 2nd - 4th Jan in Tokyo before taking shinkansen to Nagano. I am trying to figure out what kind of travel tix to get for our stay in Tokyo. I am realising that the day passes I thought I was going to get are quite pricey and need a lot of travel to get value. We plan to hit the ski shops and do some touristy things. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

20. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Sandy will have the best answer on day passes. Depends on how many trips you want to do a day. If it's only 3 or so then I think it's probably best just getting individual fares. They're not that expensive. And depending on where you are going you can walk to a few areas as well. As great as the subways are you can sometimes you can lose perspective of where you actually are.

First night at Haneda? What time do you get in? If it is not too late you should be able to get into somewhere like Ueno straightaway.

21. Glensheea

Glensheea Just Registered

Thanks, We arrive at half eleven at night courtesy of Air Asia so have booked an airport hotel. Don't fancy a night on the seats at the airport after long flights. We are staying in Akasaka so we need a travel to get here from Haneda and return trip to Tokyo station to pick up shinkansen tix before we travel and same for ski shops. I think we will do some walking around so maybe we should just do trips on individual tix as you say.

22. skee

skee Active Member

Hi Guys and Girls, I have booked flights to Japan leaving mid jan and returning early Feb and have a couple of questions. Not sure if this is the best thread to post this in, (mods feel free to move this to a more suitable thread). At this stage I'm flying in and out of Osaka with a week in Hakuba and a week in Niseko. Wondering weather a two week JR pass be the cheapest option to get me to these places (will be able to get picked up from the nearest train stations in Niseko and Hakuba)? Also wondered how easy it is to get single accom (preferably cheap) in Hakuba? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

23. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ok that would definately be too late to get into town other than by taxi so airport hotel is best option. You can then either catch an airport limousine bus or monorail & train/subway to Akasaka in the morning.

As you have a couple of days in town you may want to send your ski gear from Haneda when you arrive directly to your ski accomodation. Saves carrying around in Tokyo. Should then be able to train/subway from Akasaka to Tokyo for the Shinkansen.

edit. Akasuka isn't near any JR lines so it would need to be subway, so definately worth sending ski gear ahead. Otherwise perhaps bus or taxi.
    That is assuming you meant Akasaka rather than Asukusa... some can confuse the two

#23 Heinz, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  24. skee

skee Active Member

Oops just moved my post to the planning thread.

25. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

When you booked did you have a problem with Australia not appearing in the drop down box for International License 1949 countries? Under A all that's listed as far as I can see is Albania, Algeria and Argentina.

26. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Yes I did have this problem, which I thought was strange as their page said that it would be OK. However when I filled out a special request form I just put in the A number in my International license and sort of ignored the country. Good news though, they have confirmed my booking this morning, typical Japanese replying promptly even though it's the holiday period. My quote has come through in email format, and it's a little confusing, but basically it says what I want it to say, 4WD, snow tires, P2 class (although they dont use the same classes any more, but I believe P2 is the mid-size class) and 44xxx including the option. I assume this option is the tocoo additional support that the old website used to use. Do people get this? Or not bother if you have travel insurance that covers MV excess? Below is a copy of what the main body of the confirmation says:

***Special Plan***

Special Bargain

***Pick-up Place***

Name of Outlet:Nissan Car Rental Nagano Eki Higashiguchi

Address: 69Cho-ku,8Dai-2Tochi-ku,Gaseiri-chi-nai,Near,Nagano,Station,Nagano-shi

Tel: 026-268-1123

***Pick-up Date & Time***

16/01/14 12:00

***Return Place***

Name of Outlet:Nissan Car Rental Nagano Eki Higashiguchi

Address: 69Cho-ku,8Dai-2Tochi-ku,Gaseiri-chi-nai,Near,Nagano,Station,Nagano-shi

Tel: 026-268-1123

***Return Date & Time***

22/01/14 12:00

***Car Class***Please check luggage space again.

P-2 Class 4WD

No of Cars:1

No of passengers:2

Non-Smoking car

***Optional***

GPS(Japanese Only) : status :OK

Baby Seats :-

Child Seats :-

Junior Seats :-

Carrier :-

Tire Chains :-

Snow Tire :OK

***Payment Details***

<Payment at the outlet by credit card:>

Options including tax : 9,450yen

Drop off charge including tax : 0yen

Total payment at the outlet : 44,100yen

27. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

You might need to check Hyperdia to make sure this is still correct, but last year the cost of shink from Tokyo to Nagano and back cost pretty much the same as a JR East pass (22,000Y this year). How long are you in Japan for? If it's less than 14 days total then get the JR East pass. That will give you 5 days travel (subtract 2 days travel to/from Nagano and it gives you 3 days included travel around Tokyo).

Like I said, more details required mate, then we can help you out.

28. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Does anybody know what the price comparison for shink tickets is like from Hyperdia to buying at the relative stations? Is Hyperdia more expensive than the station? We're leaning towards just getting our tickets at the station, worrying about missing the shink is just one extra stress we can do without when battling Monday morning peak hour trains.

29. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It should be the same as far as I know. I've always bought and reserved seats at the station when i've needed to. I am pretty sure if you need a reserved seats (IE no un-reserved on that train) then you need to do that at the station. If not well that's the way i've always done it anyway. Even with the JR passes you still need to go and reserve a seat when you get to the station. I hope that makes sense.

Kerrie jackson likes this.
  30. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Cool thanks mate, crystal.

31. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Hyperdia just quotes the actual price - you can't actually buy online. AFAIK the prices are accurate. You are fine just getting tickets at the station with or without seat reservation. You can get tickets for all sectors (if JR) at the first station. If you are at all concerned just try at get to the station maybe an hour in advance if possible.

32. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah sound advice Heinz. If you get there an hour early they will shunt you on to the next one, or the one after if they are concerned you wont make it to the platform. Killing 30-40mins at the station is easy as, especially one like Ueno or Tokyo. If I can make the transfer from N'EX to shink platform at Tokyo in 5 mins for a 7min connection with ski gear then you will have no problems.

33. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

An hour is pretty conservative. It's just to allow for finding your way, a queue at ticket counter etc. If you already have a JR pass 20 mins is plenty to ensure a good seat on unreserved carriage.

34. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

We're not too concerned with which train we end up on so we'll just grab a ticket on the next available when we arrive. Depending on Yamanote train congestion we'll be there by about 7am so will be hoping for the 7:24 or 7:52 but we'll take whatever we can get.
    Is the Suica card valid for the trip from Tokyo/Shinjuku/Harajuku etc out to Narita or will that be a separate ticket?

35. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Think you would need the Suica NEX card for that. Look up JR East. They will all be there

36. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Contacted ToCoo about it. They said they will fix it and to just make the booking in the meantime so all good.

37. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Verm
    Options including tax : 9,450yen

is 6 days of 4wd @ 1575yen a day

38. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Trouble is we fly into Haneda and out of Narita. Thinking Suica+Monorail when arriving then buy one way NEX ticket to Narita when leaving.

39. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I am not sure, that's what I mean by it's a bit confusing. I emailed them back asking for an explanation and also a pdf version, hopefully they oblige. The only other 'option' is snow tires, but tocoo has always said they are included free of charge in Nagano during winter, so i'm not sure. Perhaps they have added them to the options list as a mistake? It is a completely new system and it seems they are having troubles with it anyway, so no real way to know for sure until I rock up and hire the car.

40. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Nah I can assure you a 4wd is an option and you pay for it
    its always been 1575 yen a day extra
    snow tires is an option thats added for free in snow areas.
    yet you still must tick, as the tires are not automatically included

41. Sandy

Hyperdia is not a retail ticket place, it a planning resource. That means the price is the same.

Missing the Shinkansen is no big deal. You can either go in and change the tickets, or just jump on the next one and head for the non reserved seats. If you're not travelling at a peak time, there's usually plenty of seats available.

42. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

So purchasing at Haneda wouldn't be a problem then Sandy?

43. Sandy

If you are talking about the Narita express, you cannot use the Suica. NEX is a reserved seat train only, and while the fare part may be covered by Suica, the express surcharge is not.

44. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Yep that's what I was referring to Sandy. Looks like I'll have to get a separate NEX ticket then. Thanks.

45. Sandy

#############################

Just to make one thing clear about Hyperdia which is WRONG......

It says Fare & Seat Fee. (or Reserved Seat Fee)
    e.g.

Tokyo to Nagano: 7970yen, (Fare: 3890 yen, Seat Fee: 4080yen)

This is NOT correct. It should read:
    Tokyo to Nagano: 7970yen, (Fare: 3890 yen, Express surcharge: 4080yen)

So for example, if you take the regular JR train to Nagano, it will cost you just the fare.

46. Donza

Donza Pool Room

where you staying in Tokyo Mick?

47. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Booked an apartment in Harajuku.

Donza likes this.
  48. Donza

Donza Pool Room

You won't have to necessarily catch the NEX.. You could airport limosine bus from Harajuku easily
    Also you can only buy the NEX SUICA deal from Narita.

49. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

What's the sting and time frame for Limo Bus Harajuku-Narita?

50. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Don't know now, but that has been around Y2900 for maybe 20 years? Don't think it would have changed much. Times vary depending on traffic - allow at least 2 hours.