Japan season 2016/17 Lift ticket coupons

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Oct 26, 2016.

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Season Pass Gold

Sandy

Sandy

travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member

Good stuff Sandy! Always an awesome resource!

Sandy

For those of you in Tokyo, this weekend (ok, may not be many), the pre-season fair is on at the ski shop area this Sat/Sun 29th-30th October.

You can get lots of info, they hand out grab bags, some of which include coupons, including some limited numbered ones.

Ludaning

Ludaning Active Member

Hey Sandy if you go here http://www.snownavi.co.jp/en/coupon/ the click on advance ticket on the left of screen it looks like you can buy tickets. http://www.lift-ticket.jp/shopdetail/000000000164/. Are these prices discounted?

Sandy

Yes, sorry, I didn't mention that. They are the same prices as the "Winter Plus" pre-purchase tickets I mentioned in the second post.
    You can also buy at the same price at ICI main shop in the ski shop area. They have a brochure you can get there.

If you're going to Myoko, take particular note of the usual 2500yen "Mt Myoko" day ticket. IIRC, it includes Akakan, Ikenotaira (full day) and Suginohara (4 hours)

Sandy

One other thing....
    In many shops around the ski shop area, if you go in, they will have many free discount coupons (same price as the Hakuba Snownavi coupons), but for lots of different places.

e.g. ICI main store, on the landing on the stairs to the upper floor.

AND, there a big sheet brochure available from just a few places, including London Sports. It's about the size of a folded A4 sheet (lengthwise), colourful, and opens out to about A2. There are lots of coupon on this, that are not available with other coupons (e.g. Nozawa). I will copy and post some of these, that I've done in previous years.

Ludaning

Ludaning Active Member

How do these all work in with the new rf ticketing system Sandy.

Sandy

You exchange coupon for ticket. You don't actually get a ticket when you buy the coupon, otherwise the there's no date on it.

Ludaning

Ludaning Active Member

So these discounted lift ticket coupons are different to the new "all in one " ticket which will be available at Hakuba. Ie individual coupons for each different resort.

Sandy

The all on one Hakuba ticket is only the season ticket, or for an all mountain weekly for example. but it means that all of Hakuba are on the same electronic ticket and reader system. However, each mountain is a different price, so coupons are for different mountains

:thumbs: Ludaning likes this.
    Beerman

Beerman Well-Known Member

Thanks @Sandy helpful as always. As you mentioned above, each mountain is a different price, so does that mean if you buy an Electronic pass all hills are the same price by default?? Or does it work a bit like a credit card, where you put a certain value on the card and depending on where you ski, the price is debited from the total??

Sandy

A weekly electronic pass covering all of the hills, for example, it will be more expensive.

i.e. The weekly electronic pass is 33,500yen. That's 4785yen/day.

Normal Happo 1 day = 5200yen, 2 day = 9400yen (= 4700yen/day)
    Normal Iwatake 1 day = = 4100yen, 2 day = 7400yen (= 3700yen/day)

If you take into account the free discount coupons, you can save an additional 500yen.

A weekly all mountain electronic pass is NOT WORTH it!!!!!

Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

This ^

Just a clever way to extort more money out of unsuspecting tourists I'd say. But in saying that, it's almost criminal how cheap day passes are comparative to other countries.

Sandy

Indeed!!! Compare to Vail $145 USD!!!! ;)

Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Day tickets are cheaper in Japan but in general the resorts are also a lot smaller. For many North American resorts they focus on getting season pass sales by offering very attractive early bird pricing. In Japan it's all about the discount ticket coupon and attracting the day skier. Just a different market.

skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I would say it is about convenience for people. If you get a weekly pass you don't have to line up and buy tickets daily.

For such a high tech country (in some ways) Japan has a long way to go to catch up with the cutting edge ski resorts.

Sandy

Just a reminder, for those of you in Tokyo this weekend(29-30th Oct), the Kanda Ski Shop area fair is on.

Usually it means bags of resort brochures, free coupons and give aways, food and bands playing.

Some are quite backwards it's true, but some of the bigger resorts at Hakuba have had electronic tickets since at least 2007.

skichanger

Yeah but you still have to go and buy the little square thingy every day. And line up in a queue everyday.

Blue Cow had them years ago. But they were removed (well not in use anyway) after a couple of years. You had a ticket on a piece of elastic that went in a slot.

Born2ski

A "queue" for lift tickets in Japan ? Majority of the time I just walk straight up, no wait. If you're really unlucky there might be one person in front of you.

:thumbs: JA2340 and gaz35 like this.
    skichanger

First thing in the morning there is often a queue to exchange coupons for or buy lift tickets especially on weekends. Encounter this at both Akakura Kanko and Suginohara quite often. Especially if you have caught the crowded shuttle bus.

Otherwise - yeah no queue.

And the other thing that catches people out is needing cash rather than being able to use a credit card. Had a guest walk back to my place and get back to Akakura Kanko before the others in their group had reached the head of the queue.

argento

argento Active Member

for shiga is the 3,900 (Shiga Kogen all mountain common weekday Advance Purchase 1-day ticket) the way to go?
    I have no idea how much a regular (without a coupon) ticket would cost...

Sandy

The regular price is 5000yen. But you still have to figure out how to buy the pre purchase day ticket.
    I will see if I can post up some coupons later.... when they are available.

argento

argento Active Member

What do you mean by figure out? Are you referring to language barriers? a forwarding address for them to send the ticket to?

Sandy

Some of them won't send to a foreign address, and language can be a problem. Ask @Born2ski about this.

argento

argento Active Member

Thanks Sandy! I'll wait for him to pitch in....
    on a related note, regarding myoko ones the best one to go for is the Mt Myoko for 2,500, right? Those ones allow you to choose from akakura onsen, Ikenotaira onsen, and Suginohara. I guess it only leaves out Seki, right?

Sandy

It's Ikenotaira, Akakura Kanko, but only 4 hours at Suginohara.

Others at Myoko are Akakura Onsen, and Seki Onsen, not included on that ticket.

skichanger

Akakura Onsen refuses to play nicely with the other resorts - local politics :rolleyes:

Upgrading th Suginohara pass to a full day is something like 500 or 100 yen. Not sure exactly how much.

You can prepurchase Suginohara tickets on line the night before. I think they are cheaper than just fronting up but you still need to line up to get your actual lift pass. I posted somewhere about this earlier.

Born2ski

bullet

bullet Well-Known Member

:thumbs: Born2ski likes this.
    argento

argento Active Member

Why use a forwarding company rather than have them delivered at the accommodation you are staying at (provided you've checked with the host and s/he has agreed)?

Born2ski

Good option if you're staying in a small owner lodge, but not going to work if you're staying at a large hotel or airbnb unit.

:thumbs: argento likes this.
    Beerman

I haven't checked prices for this season yet, but last year our accomodation provider was selling us day tickets for Shiga at 4200yen, versus 5000 if you rock up to the ticket box. These weren't a voucher, it was the actual ticket. Noz was a similar deal, and actually better value than buying a 4 or 5 day pass.
    I can see value in the coupon system, but it is messy. Compared to what your accomodation provider can supply (excluding Air bnb etc.) Coupons seem to be the long way round to obtain cheaper tickets, for most travellers to Japan.

For you residents, i would be chasing the coupons as well.

LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

What's the go with the accomodation provider supplied tickets? Are you talking part of a Wholesalers package, or the lodge owner having a certain number of tickets they can offer at a cheaper price (ie: they've done the prepurchasing of discount tix for their customers?)

I have to admit I wouldn't have bothered with coupons at all if @Sandy and @skichanger hadn't explained them and made them seem simple. Which they were. It was a good saving. And something I'll embrace if I get the opportunity again.

Sandy

What place was selling tickets direct at Shiga Kogen? Was it the Prince Hotel? Because they are so big, they sell ticket there directly.

Not many accom providers sell tickets direct. And others who sell discount coupons, are selling the same ones that you can buy online or in Tokyo. But once they run out, that's it!!!

:thumbs: LMB likes this.
    skichanger

Did you have to swap what your accommodation gave you for the actual lift ticket? Do they check for tickets on the lifts? Perhaps you were meant to swap but had not needed to because no-one checks the tickets. We had a guest do this, in ignorance, a couple of seasons ago.

I can sell lift tickets for Akakura Kanko but you have to swap a voucher for a ticket each day at the ticket office. The price is the same as the coupons. The coupons are not pre purchased and you pay at the ticket office. There is an unlimited supply of them. So there is no point in my selling lift tickets since in both cases you still have to go to the ticket office.

I can prepurchase even cheaper lift tickets for Akakura Kanko, Ikenotaria and a half day at Sugi. You have to buy these before the season starts. I take a risk with these as they cannot be returned. And once they are all gone you cannot get any more.

Madarao may be different as I have not seen coupons as cheap as the tickets I can get.

Sandy

It's an electronic ticket at Shiga Kogen. I've bought discount ticket (electronic tickets) at the Prince Hotel in the past.

Beerman

To clarify,
    In Shiga we purchased voucher/s at our accom that got exchanged at ticket booth for the Electronic card. 500Y deposit for the card on first day then redeemable when taken back. Price was 4200 yen versus ticket booth price of 5000yen.

Nozawa, tickets bought straight from accomodation, not voucher. Can't remember price exactly but i think we paid 4200yen for a day ticket (without lunch) versus 5200yen at booth.

No prepaid vouchers or pre printed coupons were used the whole trip.

Beerman

The one with the Teppa Room attached ;)

Sandy

Ok, that sounds right. It's easier to do that at Nozawa because it's just a paper ticket.

skichanger

At Akakura Kanko the coupons that give you a discount can be picked almost anywhere. There is no need to print them or copy them if either your accommodation or somewhere you go has them. I still have lots from last season. 3900 yen with lunch and 3500 per person if there are 4 of you.

Unfortunately at the Myoko resorts and Madarao you need to go to the ticket office, unless you have a season pass. Regardless of whether you are using a coupon, a voucher or anything else you need to go to the ticket office to get a lift ticket for that day. I am working on changing that for Madarao. Wish me luck!

:thumbs: LMB likes this.
    Brad Filmer

Brad Filmer Active Member

Just curious
    Is there any plans to change the Nozawa paper ticket that anyone is aware of?
    and
    Are there any discount ski tickets for Nozawa ever offered?

Sandy

Yes, there are discount coupons for Nozawa, and I'll post them when they are available.

:thumbs: PerthBoarder and Brad Filmer like this.
    mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Hi all, I am trying to pre purchase lift tickets, how ever I am stuck on their form by the term
    Mobile e-mail address is not a mobile phone e-mail address.
    • [​IMG]
    • ※ If you specify a mobile address, so that they are not receiving reject mail from gnavi.co.jp / gurunavi.jp, thank you for setting.

mannyk

what are they after, ihave given mobile number using 61.... plus with out it, 2 email addresses, still rejects it.. HELP

skichanger

hi @mannyk long time no see on here. Mobile phones over here have an email address. Where are you going and what tickets are you trying to buy? I wonder if it would accept my mobile number over here? Pm me if I can help.

Sandy

They are after a mobile email address!!!!
    e.g.
    yyyyyy.xxxxxx@docomo.ne.jp
    zzzzzzz.wwww@i.softbank.jp

I think that the server may recognise if it's a real mobile email address or not.

mannyk

Hi,
    Hi sent PM

mannyk

Hi Sandy. I have given the lodges email address....gr.jp