Resource Japan 2018 thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Thanks Silva, that is good to know. I cut information about my kids skiing ability. My kids (by then), will be 9 and 7. Based on their last lesson last year, on Thredbo's scale, they were level 6 and 5 respectively (out of 8), so may be pushing the group lesson thing, especially after another Australian season. Whilst they are getting better, I don't think they are getting too fussy with the resort, but their parents are getting fussy with their instructors (ie we want them to push them and not pay to keep learning stuff they learn two years ago).

Obviously not expecting the slick US style operation... we did ski Myoko after all...

2. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

If I can chime in here re the kids ....... from my experience as long as they are having fun , you need to leave YOUR expectations in the lodge . At 7 & 9 they not going to be in training for the Olympics, and need to just enjoy the stoke of sliding down the hill , and to be honest they don't really assimilate too much technical instruction anyway .

3. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Maybe it didn't come across well in my other post... but I'm having a dig at me, and expressing a frustration with the instructors. It is a bit of a long story, but in essence found out that ours were skiing at 2 levels higher than what they were being put in in class (we'd even asked for them to be moved after comparing them with others in their class).

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I know the kids will be having fun, but I do want them to get better. But you'd be surprised (I'm not sure if you have kids), but the kids want to get better too, even if they don't realise it. Yeah they want to have fun and all that jazz, but they want to go and "ski the blue run", "do THAT jump", "go on the T-bar", "ski that part of the hill", then one day "ski the black run", and they, at least at this age want to "ski with mum and dad". What they don't want to do, is ski the black run and have a terrible experience that they end up going down in tears...

Born2ski likes this.
  4. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Anyway, I take it from this comment that group lessons for intermediates (or at least higher level intermediates) are hit and miss at Nozawa Onsen.

5. Nozawaman

Season Pass Gold

Fair enough if the kids were out of their depth and in the wrong group .
    I have 2 kids (22 & 26 now) that have been dragged around to god knows how many ski resorts in a lot of countries, since the ages of 4, and the progression you are looking for just seems to happen , or it did with mine .

"Anyway, I take it from this comment that group lessons for intermediates (or at least higher level intermediates) are hit and miss at Nozawa Onsen."

I don't know how that was read into my comment ?
    From what I have seen on the hill they are no different from a lot of other resorts .

6. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Sorry. Was following on from Silva. Assumed that seeing as you were saying "don't worry about it" or "check ya head", you were effectively agreeing with their view re lessons. Just trying to get a handle on things.

Sorry!

7. Nozawaman

Season Pass Gold

I wouldn't stress too much about the lessons , again from my experience kids are great imitators , and from my observations it was the group dynamics that got them progressing ( which even stands true for older ones ) hanging with the kids scooting down the hill with a few fun drills thrown in along the way , then skiing with you in the arvo showing off the secret runs/jumps etc etc , it all just seems to happen . I made my daughter do 2 weeks in ski school in Val D'Isere and the instructor couldn't speak english .

8. silva

silva Active Member

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the quality of the lessons at Nozawa as they did not run any high intermediate or advanced group lessons while we were there (third week of January). Our son really enjoys joining group lessons - I think he learns as much from being challenged by other kids as from the instructors. If you decide Nozawa is your destination I would get confirmation that lessons at the level you need will definately run when you are booked in before making your final decision. It's even harder to find snowboarding lessons for kids in Japan (understanding 8s especially) so at least you have more options having little skiers

Funky and LMB like this.
  9. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

A bit off topic:
    All kids are similar but different. Most important thing is to find what works for them and keeps them wanting to hit the slopes. From what you have said it sounds like you have a handle on this.

Unfortunately at many of the Aus ski schools the only kids who get attention are those with pushy parents. We stopped doing ski school when the oldest was 7. But they did development programs when they were older. My guys are now 21 an 19. They are still happy to ski with us, though the older one is so far out of our league it is not funny. He was driven to work on technique and improve. The other one, who had the most natural talent, could not care less.

Just be careful about them hearing you talk about black runs as it can put them off. We had members of our ski club crap on about funnel web at Thredbo. Could not get our youngest to go there even though he was more than capable of skiing it. Went there with school skiing eventually and reported it was not the drama these jerks had built it up to be. Very frustrating!

Enjoy the time you have on the slopes where you are better than them. It does not last forever. And if you can get them a morning at ski school and spend the arvo with them, as @Nozawaman said, they will be able to show you parts of the mountain you may not know about.

Funky likes this.
  10. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Ha ha. I'm looking forward to skiing with them. We loved our first proper ski across Thredbo last year. Down the basin and then the Super Trail. My daughter was nuts. At 5 we couldn't keep up!

I remember as a kid hearing about black runs (eg Summit at Falls and Wishing Well) and be scared sh1tless at the thought!

skichanger likes this.
  11. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

@Funky You need to go to Whitefish or Red Mountain. Of all the ski schools my kids have been in those two were the ones that focused on getting kids to ski with their parents. Many other ski schools are just childcare services.

Kids ski school should be like real school, some of it can be fun but some time has to be spent doing real work.

Funky likes this.
  12. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

That's exactly the problem. Bloody expensive childcare! Don't get me wrong there is an element of that I like But it is still a family holiday and we're investing in future years.

Whitefish was on the list of resorts for this year, but sadly because of the trip we wanted to do I couldn't get the cost to work and we can largely do a similar trip to Japan. But good to know for next time as I was debating between it and another.

13. silva

silva Active Member

We have done 2 trips to Whitefish then the last 2 years in Japan. Next year we are heading back to Whitefish as our son has actually asked to go back to the snowboard school there. I can not rave about the snow sports school enough - best we have found anywhere.

Interesting that you could not get the cost to work out for whitefish Funky - the other reason we are heading back to whitefish is that it works out a fair bit cheaper than the same length trip for us to Japan for us. (If you want some details on the numbers send me a PM)

Funky likes this.
  14. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Thanks Silva... will PM you now.

15. hatto

hatto Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

With the fundamentals they now have, let them have the 7 days to consolidate, you will be amazed at how far they will progress when left to there own assessment and decisions. They will hook up with other kids and you won't see them for dust.

BoofHead and Funky like this.
  16. hatto

hatto Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

There are only 3 x lifts which don't usually run mid week.
    Challenge Lift - this area is very easy accessible without lift running
    Yunomine Lift and sometimes Mizunashi. Mizunashi is an area mainly used for race practice and the lift is not required to board that area anyway.
    IMO If Mr7 was ending up on long cat tracks then a little more knowledge/understanding of the area will be beneficial.

Froff Life and Funky like this.
  17. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

The Mizunashi lift may not be required, but the alternative is to ski all the way to the bottom of Hikage/Nagasaka to repeat it. It's nice and quiet there, when it's busy elsewhere, and there's powder to be had in that area. Same goes for Yunomine, but it's not so steep.
    You can avoid cattracks, but the main ones are the green back to Hikage, down to Yunomine/Mizunashi area, and around Karasawa, when heading back to Nagasaka, and when heading in from Skyline.

Funky and hatto like this.
  18. silva

silva Active Member

Yep, Challenge, Yunomine and Mizunashi lifts did not run Monday to Friday. Uneotaira only ran a couple of days while we were there and Kandahar did not run at all.
    On the weekends we particularly liked the Yunomine and Mizunashi areas - long cat track in but fun when you got there. Disappointing to have the area not available during the week. Only other way to access that we found was via the top of a green run and cat track, do the run then proceed down the mogul field to cat track or green run, up lift 31 then along the cat track, down the green run, up the gondola. The most disappointing thing was that there was no signs or notifications that the lifts were not running. We met families who had gone in there with their children expecting the lifts to be running and they were walking out as the kids would not be able to negotiate the runs below the area to the base lifts.

Funky likes this.
  19. Sandy

No need to walk out!!!!! You can see straight away from above, if those two lifts are running. You then take the Nagasaka mid load out.

Froff Life and Funky like this.
  20. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Thanks all... looking forward to this trip to Thredbo next week (yay fresh snow), and possibly another long weekend or two across the season. Between that and 7 to 10 days in Japan they'll be smashing it, and enjoying all the fun stuff to be had as a kid. I wish they had what I had growing up (my brother and I always went with some boys a similar age (my poor sister missed out). Soooo much fun. The legend of the Black Phantoms still exists in my family (I'm the keeper of that flame)... My kids are young enough to believe me!

Froff Life likes this.
  21. silva

silva Active Member

They were at the bottom of the Mizunashi lift and realised there was no green way down and had to walk back up and across to the gondola midstation.

22. Sandy

Before you head down to the bottom of Mizunashi, the top of the lift is 15m way from the course..... would be difficult to miss that it's not running.

23. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Is there a Nozawa 2018 thread yet? :p

24. hatto

hatto Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

25. Froff Life

Season Pass Gold

If we are landing at Haneda at 9:00pm and then heading to Hakuba the following day, can we TA-Q-BIN our ski bags the night we land and then have them arrive the next day in Hakuba? Or is that not enough time?

26. hatto

hatto Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Don't think enough time

27. Sandy

No, when I send skis around 7pm on a Weds evening, they will guarantee that they will be there by Friday night, but not early Friday morning.(probably meaning not by Thu night)

Kimski and Froff Life like this.
  28. Froff Life

Season Pass Gold

Thanks Sandy

29. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Flights booked for late Feb. Zao Ibsen then down to Shiga Kogen. Giddy up!!!

Froff Life likes this.
  30. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Ibsen? You miss a couple of chars to the left on the keyboard?

Zao & Shiga seems an odd combo - how are you travelling between them - back tracking to Tokyo?

Vermillion likes this.
  31. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Maybe BoofHead is Japanese? LOL

32. Sandy

Was thinking the same.....

33. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

BoofHead has fat fingers, is on a phone, was a couple of rums in and wasn't wearing specs.
    Heinz, it is an odd combo. A compromise combo to be exact. We realise the transfer is sub optimal as far as rail passes go but are happy to wear the extra cost. We will use a weekend to transfer but we haven't looked at details yet.

#383 BoofHead, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    Froff Life, Budgiesmuggler and 2ESki like this.
  34. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Sub optimal is an understatement. It may have been ok years ago before JR East split the zones but makes little sense now. A combo of Zao with Alts/Inawashiro/Morioka/Appi or else Shiga with Hakuba/Nozawa/Myoko would have made much more sense.

Vermillion likes this.
  35. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Yep. Realise that. My choice was Appi and Zao. Wife's was Shiga/Madaro. Catching up with different friends in different locations. A compromise combo.
    Haven't investigated much further than Train back to to Tokyo and then out to Nagano.
    Maybe renting a car might be an option???

36. Nozawaman

Season Pass Gold

It's an adventure , everything doesn't always have to make sense or be an exercise in logistics ....... your plan sounds good to me!!!!!!!!

37. Sandy

By train, you have to go almost back into Tokyo.... change at Omiya.

In summer, it says 369km by road, 5:13 hr. Add plenty of time in winter.

BoofHead likes this.
  38. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yamagata to Nagano on the Shinkansen changing at Omiya is about 4 hours and Y17,000.
    Or could maybe stopover a night for a break in Tokyo and use delivery service for ski gear?

BoofHead and LMB like this.
  39. TJ

TJ Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

all the chat about ski schools for kids. The joy of living in a ski town and your 6 year old is skiing double blacks. It's good fun once you can go anywhere on the mountain with them.

anyway thread need more pics
    [​IMG]

Froff Life, Any and Annabuzzy like this.
  40. Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

The splitting of the JR East passes (into Tohoku and Nagano) makes that combination tricky, but not impossible.

Just quick calcs...if you just bought tickets:

TOKYO - YAMAGATA = Y10,450
    YAMAGATA - NAGANO = Y15,310
    NAGANO - TOKYO = Y7,680
    Total = Y33,440

Now if you used the JR East pass (Tohoku) this would set you back Y19,000 and gets you from Tokyo up to Yamagata and then back along the Hokuriku shinkansen line towards Nagano as far as Saku-daira. I'm guessing you could just pay the difference to get you to Nagano of Y2,810 (x2 for the return leg - thanx Heinz)

Then your total is looking like 24,620 instead of 33,440.

Food for thought.

#390 Crispy013, Jul 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    BoofHead likes this.
  41. EX1212

EX1212 Active Member

Sorry to add another kids lesson question, but is there no kids group lessons at annapuri?

42. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

You'd have to add the return from Nagano to the Tohoku zone for return to Tokyo if that is still within the 14 day period or else the fare back to Tokyo, but yes worth considering.

43. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

We have purchased a Shiga Kogen package with Narita transfer already sorted.
    Cheers.

44. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Wow. I'm feeling lazy now.
    I've got a clubbie trip in a few weeks that is preoccupying my thoughts at the moment though. This is great info.
    Cheers

45. Any

Any Active Member

yeah annupuri is still very much japanese.
    I believe a couple of the bigger hirafu and niseko village english speaking schools also cover annupuri tho.

46. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Strange combo indeed, how long are you going for? Your tolls are going to make a car expensive, and seeing you want to go to specific resorts, and not much exploring and traveling around, a car is probably not necessary. Zao is easy enough to get around without a car (in the village anyway) and you can get a bus down to Yamagata if you want, and you will want to on one of the crap days you're likely to have at Zao. I would be taking the train and tar q binning your gear to Shiga, and be done with it. It'll be a nice relaxing trip at least. IMO the issue with Zao is that you are guaranteed crap days and maybe good days. I like to set up my Zao trips as tie-ins with Inawarashiro area so that it's not such a long way to go for 1 hill and get blocked in by weather.

BoofHead likes this.
  47. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Can have lots of fun bumbling around a foreign country. Mrs. Boof isn't so sure though. I come up with an idea, she makes it happen. Yin and Yang at work.

48. Nozawaman

Season Pass Gold

I took this pic the other day . It might help with the Shinkansen to Iiyama ?

Thommo79 and Zimboo like this.
  49. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Invite?? :whistle:
    Have fun:cheers:

BoofHead likes this.
  50. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Full car this time around. @Dave6 has a posse going the week before us, don't know if he has a spare seat. The Chaps and I are having a beer and waxing session this week if you're keen. Certainly a pre-Japan wax is on the cards down the track.