Advice needed I'm depressed

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Moondog55, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Well-Known Member

Verry Depressed
    Really really sad
    There is snow and I am not skiing this year due to doctors orders.
    What can I do?
    Drink to excess?
    Read books about skiing?
    Alternatively I can just keep posting telling you all how bad I'm feeling so you will all feel better while you are out getting cold and wet while skiing on porridge

2. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

3. DidSurfNowSki

Season Pass Gold

But on a more serious note, if you are depressed, reach out for help. The black dog sucks.

4. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Research all the gear you want to buy for next season

You could also register a new alias and play troll, giving misleading advice and starting pointless arguments

5. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

LOL Be grateful it's this year and not a good year.

6. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I've tended to depression in really bad seasons where I've put my life on hold so i can ski and then not been able to do much. Every day i was hanging out and being disappointed and gradually getting pretty down. I found the best thing was to move my focus to other activities, eg motorcycling (heresy).

Not being able to ski now I'm focusing on indoor cycling. Hardly the same as skiing but it gives me something else to do and think about, and plot spending money on. If you can't do something active, maybe some sort of project that really engages your attention

sbm, crackson, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  7. Moondog55

Isn't that all I've been doing for the last 3 years??
    As for the serious advice about the "Black Dog" yes I agree, real depression isn't to be joked about.
    But it's OK really in the short term it is a pain management problem, panadol; codeine and Endone helping.
    But I am already missing my winter camping and skiing somewhat more badly than I thought I would.
    I was just starting to get good at the camping in comfort bit too

ladycamper likes this.
  8. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Can you take an extended camping trip in warmer climes?

9. Moondog55

Seriously I can't walk more than 20 metres and I can't even put my socks and shoes on without help at the moment.
    I tell the grandkids it was when I was in the army and jumping out of airplanes without a parachute that did it. You'd think they'd believe their Grandad but they don't

10. DidSurfNowSki

Season Pass Gold

Did you jump out of any of these ?

[​IMG]

They flew so slow, you could have jumped out without a parachute ;)

Believe it or not, at one stage I had signed for 21 of these on my inventory list :)

#10 DidSurfNowSki, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  11. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Yeah! My 2011 was cut short in July. Never hated powder reports so much.

12. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It's hard when it's a passion.

I've thrown myself into therapy/training/etc to get well for when I can go.

But if it gets worse (like truly depressed) do get help!

13. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

doing.it.wrong.

Forgetting to take a flask of whisky. Now *that's* uncomfortable.

skifree likes this.
  14. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

The little bloody blighters!

When my grandad told me he lent out the window of a single engine Cesna with his shotgun and chased the Japs back home from Darwin during WWII I believed every word of it - until I was 37yo.

Marty_McSly and LMB like this.
  15. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

16. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Anyway it's pretty shit so far, so you're not missing anything!

17. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I'm sorry to hear @Moondog55, that really sucks.

Well here's my two cents. As amazing as the backcountry and skiing is, I firmly believe there is meaning, satisfaction, and excitement to be found in all sorts of things., and I meet people who have based their lives around other completely different passions. And, you know, while not camping up at Bogong, you might be able to find something pretty fun.

• Are you musical at all? Could be a good chance to learn or relearn an instrument?
    • Chess, Go, or Checkers - maybe try and find a local club or meetup group?
    • Gear maintenance - instead of just shopping, why not try learning some more serious maintenance or even manufacturing? Mounting ski bindings. Sewing your own sleeping bag. Rebuilding a bicycle (or snowshoe?) Even something like a TAFE course if you're up to it. Always thought about doing a course in machining and milling myself one day.
    • Video games - seriously don't laugh, I know you probably don't think of it as your sort of thing, but you'd be surprised how many older folk are into it. Definitely a bit more engaging than just vegging out watching TV and movies. Something like "Steep" which is an open-ended skiing game where you can explore around a virtual mountain.
    Good luck.

currawong and DJM like this.
  18. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

as much as I love skiing and boarding, I get a huge amount of pleasure just sitting, watching others, enjoying the vibe, the atmosphere.

Go and sit outside a coffee shop, take an insulated mug and bathe in the whole ski hill atmosphere

19. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of planning out the season you would have had, and every time you would have head to the mountains and spent money, put that same money in a bank account.

Watch it grow (very quickly), then when your back skiing spend that money on an amazing adventure.

Seriously we have turned some pretty ordinary injuries and accidents into great adventures which we will remember for a life time.

DPS Driver, crackson and sbm like this.
  20. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

He should start singin' the blues.

21. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I don't normally do video games but I have discovered something quite different. I'm not too Cycling is about the only exercise I've been up to for a while, but weather etc makes it cycling on the road not so feasible. Zwift uses gaming technology and electronic cycling sensors to make indoor cycling more enjoyable and motivating. The bike is hooked up to a computer so your actual cycling effort is represented in the "game". If you have a "smart trainer" it actually makes it harder to ride uphill.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  22. N0frilz

N0frilz Active Member

I had a similar situation last year, I had a nasty accident and broke my knee joint into several pieces two week later, two operations, 2 plates,10+ screws I was allowed to leave hospital. I was just lucky it happened four days after coming back from America snowboarding otherwise it could have been way worse. I didnt walk for nearly 6 months I had to miss out on the snow last winter (first time in over 3 decades) and sat out this summer.

Shit happens, keep thinking positively and keep focused on what you need to do to get back on the snow. I've been doing physio and exercising more than I ever have and its now at the point im allowed to get back to do the things I enjoy.

Chaeron, crackson, GS and 3 others like this.
  23. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I was feeling sorry for you until I read further and realised it was snowboarding you missed out on.:):out:

Chaeron, neilmny and W0nkey D0nkey like this.
  24. N0frilz

N0frilz Active Member

Well i missed out on snowboarding and snow mobiling last winter and wakeboarding all summer theres only so long you can wake surf for!

Attached is the x-ray the lower part of the knee point was in four pieces.

Attached Files:

• leg.jpg
      leg.jpg
      File size:
      61.7 KB
      Views:
    Hully likes this.
  25. JoeKing

Season Pass Gold

We can rebuild him.

Marty_McSly, LMB and skifree like this.
  26. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

a good single malt, cocaine, a couple of cheap hookers and some joe cocker playing in the backround is sure to help perk you up
    but make sure those girls leave their hats on, and nothing else

NewTurns, Chaeron, ladycamper and 4 others like this.
  27. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Wow! This thread is for me.
    Three weeks ago I was at gym doing pre-season training. Long story short I strained (maybe tore, but prob just strained) psoas muscle. At least that's what I thought. Eventually got better over the ensuing two weeks, just in time to come down for the season.
    I had 2 weeks booked in our lodge, then my season rental in Jindy (I'm a Sydney weekend warrior with kid/s in WSC).
    So,I head up and get myself sorted in our lodge and decide I should have a night ski. Four runs down Front Valley and I'm in agony. I spent the rest of the week in our lodge (at least the first part wasn't too good) doing work that I had brought down and visiting the (excellent) physio at the Perisher medical centre daily. She was convinced that I had done something to my SI joint as well, so a double whammy of sorts.
    I had another week in the lodge but with a changeover of guests and my daughter heading back to Sydeny I thought I'd move back down to Jindy and take it from there. Well, packing and moving stuff yesterday execerbated the issue to the point where it's really painful to walk more than a few steps.
    Frustrating for sure.
    All I dream about, my one passion, is skiing. Not being able to just bums me out big time.
    BUT, I keep reminding myself about my daughter who not once, but twice, had season ending injuries with blown ACL. Both times at the start of the season. Once when she was race training full time and the other when instructing OS. That crushed her. So in perspective, I shouldn't be bummed too much. But I am. It brings home just how delicate we can really be. Gym one day smashing it out, writhing in pain the next.
    Ah, f#ck. Too much wine. Sorry folks. My wife doesn't ski, she doesn't get it. Needed to vent
    But I'll tell you this much.......I'm so motivated for physio exercises. Must...get....better!

hipo, NewTurns, SMSkier and 4 others like this.
  28. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

where in Jindy can I find these?? In no particular order

29. JoeKing

Season Pass Gold

PM sent.

Zeroz and Chaeron like this.
  30. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Cheap eh

Hmmmm

derwent likes this.
  31. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

Um. I think you've got it wrong. There is "f all" snow, and who ever listens to their doctor when they want to do something?

But, if you do it, and your doctor's suggested you didn't do it, please be bright enough not to go back to your doctor and tell them you did it doing something they suggested you didn't!

Doctors are human ( mostly); we also ignore medical advice, and just listen to our bodies.

A

Gimp, gareth_oau and crackson like this.
  32. Moondog55

Andrew I should report you to the MDA or something.
    Hmmm Video games
    Hmmmm New power tower, UHS dual graphics cards * 4 monitors 1000 watt speaker system and a dedicated fibre optic connection Somehow I can't see The Boss springing for all that
    I'll just keep up the power walking in the water for the time being Oh and she says no NO! hookers but I'm allowed a little rum in my evening cocoa
    You all have made me laugh
    Thanks

sbm, currawong and Marty_McSly like this.
  33. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

We have the technology.

JoeKing likes this.
  34. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Well-Known Member

I think @gareth_oau had it right - just go and hang around a ski town and people skiing.

ladycamper and gareth_oau like this.
  35. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry to hear Moondog, how long til you'll get fully mobile again? I've struggled a lot this year and last year but have been a bit private about it. I almost died last year, accidentally but related to how I'd been trying to cope.

#35 ladycamper, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  36. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

It can be frustrating, I did a lot of skiing back when I was time rich and money poor, now i can afford to ski more regularly but have somehow ended up time poor.

Last year I managed a total of about 2 hours skiing on a drift of snow at Hotham long after the season finished! Damn it was good though.

I did buy new gear this year just in case I get up to the snow whilst it's snowing.

crackson, Chaeron and ladycamper like this.
  37. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I moved away from the snow, no longer time poor. Just money adequate. Would not cry poor.

Miss snow, a bit.

LMB, Chaeron and ladycamper like this.
  38. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

When I am physically ill with a bad winter cough and cold for example and I cannot cycle, hike, snow shoe the B.C. or swim long distances in an outdoor 50 M. heated pool then I paint pictures of places I love such as the Oz Alps. I also play and teach 3 instruments and find music is a healing force and it is something that takes you away to a better place.I beat depression by becoming addicted to being active in the outdoors and living a squeaky clean lifestyle with a good diet. I know what the real black dog can do to people. It is the worst , man. MoonDog , can you swim laps? Give it a try.

#38 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    crackson and NewTurns like this.
  39. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

@Moondog55 Now's the time to write and publish that catering guide/ cookbook/ tent construction manual...

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hang in their Moondog .....so far this season Team Bears have done stuff all in the alps.......snow coverage not that brilliant up to date anyway.

Team Bears promises to send you some action pics when we finally get off our collective arses and actually do something .

We have been hibernating since Queens Birthday!!

Suggestions above seem good.....we understand how you miss getting away and up into the snow......stay warm .....stay positive we miss you not being in Pretty Valley......

41. JoeKing

Season Pass Gold

Pull yer fingers out, team bears.

42. Moondog55

I'm using the down time to dream of Alaska, plan some gear for the camp next year and save for my new sleeping quilt.
    I bought a mulit-pass for the local pool to do the hydro power walking thing to maintain my strength and the exercise has helped. Also the big; good news; is that I have my first appointment in the orthopedic clinic in a fortnite.
    The small bad news is that the pain management regime isn't working well but I am coping, a bit cranky tho.
    My problem is partly self infliceted according to The Boss; I waited until it was almost unbearably painful before asking for help

Chaeron likes this.
  43. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Medical cannabis?

44. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

It is good to hear that you are doing some physical activity in water. That is a cure all IMO.

45. Moondog55

Oh I wish, better for me than codeine and oxycontin

LMB likes this.
  46. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Way better!
    A few Drs are prescribing low THC meds, if that works for your pain you should definitely seek it out.

ladycamper and JoeKing like this.
  47. JoeKing

Season Pass Gold

Yes, def.

48. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Yep, no pain to be found in a Amsterdam coffee shop..........for dayzzzzzz on end!!!!
    I tried for 3 weeks to sell my campervan there at the end of my journey............so much indecisiveness. LOL

#48 Zimboo, Jul 11, 2017
  49. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

What, you weren't sure you wanted to sell it?

boomtish

ladycamper and crackson like this.
  50. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

In truth was bad timing / planning...............trying to offload the van at the start of winter (December).
    However, didn't do too bad in the end selling it to a dealer. Purchased for 8K sold for 6K, so she was a good home for 6 mths.
    Don't ask me how much I spent in coffee shops in the process of the sale...............was like first world carpet dealing in Morocco!! LOL

#50 Zimboo, Jul 11, 2017
    crackson and The Plowking like this.