1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

???? I thought Perth was supposed to be warm and dry?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by trappers, Sep 10, 2009.

VSG

VSG Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Hey grumpy Traps: Merry Christmas.
    trappers

trappers SH10151 Moderator

42.7°C at my place in the shade at the moment!! [​IMG] Maybe I should crawl into the beer fridge? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

the official top in Perth today was 37.5 and the Jandakot weather station near us measured 39.8.

How did you manage to get so high Trappers?
    trappers

We are closer to Perth airport which got to 41.0C but we are also in a hollow and get shielded from any kind of sea breeze ... We are often 2-3C higher than the local stations.
    trappers

D-Amn! It gets worse!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Dave6

Dave6 Well-Known Member

Beer fridge at +16C??
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    trappers

some idiot left the door open!
    woggybot

woggybot Dedicated Member

THAT'S how a Perth summer should be [​IMG] [​IMG]

I remember a few years ago hitting Trigg beach for a couple of hours on Boxing Day; temp was 44C. Yeah Baby!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    snow777

snow777 New Member

Was that you trappers?? [​IMG]
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member

That's seriously [​IMG]y trappers. [​IMG]
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

Traps. Just jump on a flight to Melbourne. We've got nice cool weather until Thursday of next week (when it will be a stinker)
    trappers

Yes and also seriously :awesome: [​IMG]

this is also a bit nerdy (not supposed to be on a white background and yes I need to fix it a bit so it makes more sense ... makes sense to me though!)

From www.itbetterbesunny.com ... and no the webcam is not working, been too lazy to get up on the roof and fix it, might do on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

No it was the FIL ... you can see how long it took to cool back down! Essentially 12hrs!
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member

Just looking at the fridge activity before the spike.

An 1100 start to festivities judging by the temp raise. Nice work.
    VSG

Yep. Good friend of mine years back was from Perth. Subi. He was so grateful for Canberra summers where the norm, median is around 31 degrees over Jan Feb, and humidity sits around 15 to 30% from 10 to 5 (AEDST).

He lived without A/C in Perth. Spent all his time at the beach. [​IMG]
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

Gee, trappers! Now nerdy are you? Not only thermometers in 4 places around the house, but hooked into your computer too!!
    gareth_oau

Trappers, I assume DP is dew point?

are you measuring this or a simple calulation?
    trappers

At the beach on a 42°C day in Perth? Your feet and toes would be fried to a crisp on the sand before 2pm and afterwards you would be sandblasted by the sea breeze ... literally! [​IMG] best time for the beach here is before 10am!

The Canberra average max in December is 26, and 28 in Jan ... if the Median is 31 (cant find that anywhere) then that implies there are some bloody cold days skewing the average! Still I'd prefer that over this heat.

Already 38.9°C here at 10am [​IMG]

and yes 11:00am, it was boxing day after all and the cricket started at 7:30am! [​IMG]

Tekel ... it is a silly hobby you don't want to know how nerdy it really is ... with the solar power hooked up to the computer and full electricity monitoring too using bespoke hand written code and webpages [​IMG]
    trappers

Yes DP= Dew point ... and measuring it.
    trappers

gareth_oau

11am and we are already at 38deg [​IMG]
    trappers

Yep 42.1°C @ 11:30am here. The kids were outside and playing in the sprinkler, but we pulled them inside! hopefully it will be a bit cooler for the swim! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replotted to show the last 5 days (you might need to refresh (F5) to clear your cache of the old image).
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member

Ouch 42, just dropped to 22 here on the beaches in Sinny, down about 4C.

Beautiful day.
    surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 Addicted Member

Is that saying your indoor temp is ranging between 26-28 degrees??? Crikey....turn your aircon up!
    gareth_oau

my pool water is currently 32 deg - I think its time to start dropping in some ice cubes
    trappers

Aircon is on full and it is a good system ... not much you can do when it has been over 40 for 5 days in a row and the double bricks have heated up ... it is fighting losing battle. Also the AC is only turned on during the day, it is off overnight.

The temp gauge for indoors is not in the direct path of the AC air (which comes out at 20-22C) but it does give a good indication of what the house feels like outside of the AC air!
    gareth_oau

not true Trappers, get the garden hose and soak the bricks and tiles, that will suck some heat out (and turn it into a sauna!) [​IMG]
    trappers

Ok most bizaare thing, it just started raining big arse drops?! still 40C outside and big drops falling ? Bizarre!
    Austin powers

Austin powers Old And Crusty

VSG

trappers

Thanks VSG ... I do know how to read a radar [​IMG]

Was totally unexpected and not forecast ... risk of rain this afternoon was 7%.
    Austin powers

Austin powers Old And Crusty

We get that all the time here in Kal no rain on the radar for 300 km then 10 minutes later black as night and chucking it down.
    trappers

Very unusual for Perth.

Happens quite often in Melbourne though.
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

Actually back in the starter home days when we had a single 1.5 Aircon in the lounge of our little 3x1 surrounded by the "Sahara", I would actually do that. Especially hosing down the windows. Had two little bubs so wanted to keep them cool, and it did make a difference. Not really PC for water conservation though.
    surfie_guy1

Water conservation and power conservation can take a back seat when we're in a heat wave!
    I'm at work all day today, but my aircon is on at home...cbf going home to a hot house.

Traps - that's still pretty damn hot inside. I've got a double brick townhouse with massive windows facing east and west and there's no way it stays that hot once my aircon in on. A chilly 20 will be fine thankyou [​IMG]
    trappers

Ahhh but we are a single story with grey tiled roof ... facing North East [​IMG] We could probably do with double glazed windows but that = $$$$

We could probably keep the house cooler if we ran the AC overnight but we can live with 27C so why waste the money?
    trappers

How are you measuring the 20C is it directly in the airflow of the ac? The air coming out of our ac is about 20C but the temperature gauge is about 5m away on a wall, so it gives a more representative number.
    surfie_guy1

Hmm just running the aircon at 20 degrees, it shuts down when it reaches it.

Yeah double glazing is an option..but for now I went for the cheaper option and got the windows tinted in the most reflective stuff I could find. Makes a surprising difference.

And if you don't mind 27 then all good [​IMG]

Whatever...it's still f-ing hot outside!
    trappers

Is it ducted or split system?
    gareth_oau

we tinted our windows that face west and made a big difference in those rooms
    VSG

Mirrored when viewed from outside, or just dark tint?
    gareth_oau

a dark tint. Has an excellent reflection, but its not mirrored.

We've had quite a few birds crash into the windows
    surfie_guy1

I got mirrored. House looks like a disco!!

Unfortunately with mirrored, at night when the light comes from inside, the mirroring effect is reversed and people can see in. Just gotta be careful not to walk around in the nude too much.
    surfie_guy1

Split. Was already installed when I moved in.

Actually it is annoying me because of the amount of noise the fan in it generates. It's really odd - it sits straight above my couch and seems to create most noise just below it, where I sit. So I have to turn the TV up to be able to hear it over the fan. But then if I move out of the room, the noise from the fan is much quieter, and the TV can be heard blaring really loudly.

Obviously I'm sitting right in the peak of the soundwaves [​IMG]
    trappers

Ahhh I figured as much! I'll bet any money that if you get a thermometer and measure the temp in the opposite corner of the room it will be significantly warmer than 20, prob 25-27. Humans notice temperature differences (relative temperature) far more than absolute temps. The air coming out of the ac may be 18- 20C but ill bet any money the room temp will be a fair bit hotter. The air coming out of my ac is 20C and it is a split system too. Have just turned it on so watch the temp inside begin to drop from 30.5 [​IMG]
    surfie_guy1

Did someone leave your beer fridge door open again today at 11am??
    trappers

Nope but I put in a bunch of warm drinks!
    gareth_oau

we have evaporative. the outside temp hit 38 before we turned the ac on where interior maxed at 27.

Its currently 34 outside and 26 inside
    surfie_guy1

Evaporative is great. Except when it's hot. Or humid.

[​IMG] (It's so Perth)
    gareth_oau

but at 1/10th the operating cost, its well worth it
    surfie_guy1

I know Gareth..just having a laugh thinking about the 'Shit Perth People Say' youtube video.