???? I thought Perth was supposed to be warm and dry?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by trappers, Sep 10, 2009.

trappers

trappers SH10151 Moderator

A balmy 25.4°C here in EVP ... not a breath of wind ... a perfect day for a 2nd birthday BBQ a drop of veuve and a yummy "toot toot" cake [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    cold wombat

cold wombat Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Yep, one of those boring warm clear blue sky Perth days.

[​IMG]
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Nik and I went on a car cruise today, around 25 cars covering 85kms, ending up for lunch at Araluen.

[​IMG]
    cold wombat

Araluen would be magic on a day like today. Was down at E-shed at Freo with one of the little wombats. Saw the motor scooter club out in force. Must have been about 50 of them at least. Quite hilarious really.
    gareth_oau

those scooters are funny, with their union jacks and a thousand mirrors

(well, maybe not quite this bad!!)

[​IMG]
    cold wombat

Saw one just like that!
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

Anyone else get hit hard with the storms this afternoon?

We had a heavy downpour but short lived and thankfully no leaks through the roof this time (not that it is fixed, it just didn't get drenched enough). But my friend was evacuated frm Mirrabooka Shopping Center. Apparently Coles had water pouring in through all the light fittings and seeping up through the floor - there were fears the roof was going to cave in.

Incredible change in such a short time period.
    trappers

Nah dry all day for me, but watched the storms coming, and then vanishing all afternoon ... Until , of course, I was on the plane taxiing and it started passing down but by then I regarded myself as in Melbourne so it didnt rain at all in Perth as far as I am concerned!!
    cold wombat

Copped it in Subi after abt 4pm. Dry as a bone at home though. So typical of Perth. Storms are often localised.
    Lady Mamabear

Not in Kansas anymore Toto!!
    I think my 100 year old house is going to be blown from its foundations. Yikes!!

So much for all the Manchurian Pear leaves that we're picked up yesterday...

Added:
    Fkn autocorrect!!! Doesn't it understand that I have enough of an issue with apostrophes as it is...no need to add them in!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    trappers

Awesome wild weather! This is what I like! [​IMG]
    gareth_oau

and its supposed to get better this afternoon.

Trip to the beach me thinks!!

Lovin' it!
    trappers

gareth_oau

arrrgh bloody branch blew off a tree and put a MASSIVE dent in the RS4 [​IMG] [​IMG]
    BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Oh dear [​IMG]

Been pretty rough in Bunbury. Got home about 2:30, blowing a gale. Had to stop and haul a branch of the road just to get out of work, then several more just to get up the drive. Couple of trees trashed, one fell across fire break and nearly took out neighbours 4WD [​IMG]

Spent rest of afternoon on the chainsaw. Power off twice so far.
    gareth_oau

[​IMG]
    gareth_oau

I also heard that a jetty was washed/blown away in Mandurah and took a swag of moored boats with it! [​IMG]
    Lady Mamabear

Winds equivalent to a Cat2 cyclone.
    Damage is spread over an area the size of Victoria.
    More bad weather on the way today.

I have kept power so far. But lots of friends are out - for more than 12 hours so far.

Mums fence is down. Lots of branches in my yard, some HUGE ones in local streets blocking the road. Fun fun fun. I am just glad we have escaped relatively unscathed so far. There is a super large self shedding ghost gum tree in the neighbors yard that over hangs our house. I have been convinced that one day the wind will blow and my 3rd sons bedroom will no longer exist...
    trappers

[​IMG] no good Gareth, Mama and BofSki!

We were spared at our place, but went aroundf to a friends place for dinner last night and a medium sized gum had come down over his and his neighbours fence. Spent the next 2 hours cutting it up and moving it with him and his neighbour while our dinner got cold and the kids ever more restless! [​IMG]

Tomorrow will be as bad if not worse than yesterday apparently ... and I'll be comfortably tucked up in a Melbourne hotel (or bar) [​IMG]

(bit annoyed I'll miss it actually, I love wild weather! )
    trappers

Perth Weather radar is down, but looking from my office across the new entertainment centre construction site looks messy.
    Click for larger if you care [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gareth_oau

Lady Mamabear

Looks like Walpole and Albany are getting the lions share right now on that Radar Gareth. Hope my brother and his little family are hunkered down!

I hate being away in wild weather Trappers...have an interest, yes...but I like t be here to get on with fixing it if something goes wrong too.
    trappers

Some funny crazy landings at the airport right now. Malaysian flight just landed with one wheel on the ground only for about 300m ... could be an interesting take off! [​IMG]
    Lady Mamabear

How was that take off Trappers?
    I watched a plane come in to land Sunday Morning when I took the boys to work in CanningVale, and that thing was a rockin' side to side, side to side, side to side...
    [​IMG]

Would not have been fun, and I am sure the pilot would have had to punch the landing. More [​IMG]
    trappers

Actually fine! ****ing cold in Melbourne though!!! Very quick flight though! Was supposed to be 2:40 but air traffic control slowed us down to about 2:50 ... Would have been my quickest trip [​IMG]
    Lady Mamabear

Shame you didn't go tomorrow... Gonna be another BIG ONE, you might have got there In under an hour ;-)
    Lady Mamabear

trappers

Have told all staff to leave early today. All other companies in the group doing the same ... am safely in chilly Melbourne so I need to work through [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 11:19 AM
    To: XX
    Cc: XX, Dave (JPK - Perth)
    Subject: Severe Weather Warning - Leave work early
    Importance: High

All,

With the severe weather approaching Perth, I encourage everyone to leave early today (around 4pm) to make for a safe trip home and give additional time to prepare your houses if required.

Take your time and travel safely.

Cheers
    James

IDW28001
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    Western Australia

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
    SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
    for Widespread Destructive Winds and Abnormally High Tides
    For people in parts of WA south of a line from Geraldton to Laverton to Forrest.
    This includes people in, near or between Geraldton, Dalwallinu, Jurien Bay,
    Southern Cross, York, Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton, Margaret River,
    Bridgetown, Albany, Katanning, Narrogin, Esperance, Kalgoorlie and Eucla.
    Issued at 11:10 am on Tuesday 12 June 2012

WEATHER SITUATION
    An intense storm is expected to hit the south of the state from late Tuesday
    afternoon and evening. This storm will be of similar strength to the system that
    affected the southwest on Sunday though this storm will also affect the south
    coast significantly and extend further inland.

For people in parts of WA south of a line from Jurien Bay to Narrogin to Eyre.
    This includes people in, near or between Jurien Bay, Perth, Mandurah, Bunbury,
    Busselton, Margaret River, Bridgetown, Albany, Katanning, Narrogin and
    Esperance:
    This storm is expected to cause WIDESPREAD DANGEROUS WINDS in excess of 125
    kilometres per hour which could cause SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION TO HOMES
    OR PROPERTY. DANGEROUS WINDS are expected to develop in the west from evening
    and extend as far east as Hopetoun by midnight and to Eyre by about 8 am
    Wednesday. Winds should begin to ease from the west during Wednesday morning.

For people in remaining parts of WA south of a line from Geraldton to Laverton
    to Forrest. This includes people in, near or between Geraldton, Dalwallinu,
    Kalgoorlie, Southern Cross, York and Eucla.
    This storm is expected to cause WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS to 125 kilometres per
    hour with LOCALLY DANGEROUS GUSTS in excess of 125 kilometres per hour which
    could cause SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION TO HOMES OR PROPERTY. The DAMAGING
    WINDS are likely to develop overnight and extend to Kalgoorlie by early
    Wednesday morning and through to Eucla by midday Wednesday. Conditions will ease
    in the west during the morning.

Winds associated with this storm are much stronger than a usual winter storm and
    are likely to be of a similar strength to the winds experienced on Sunday.
    However, this storm is likely to more significantly affect the south coast and
    extend further inland than the storm on Sunday. The worst conditions will
    commence late afternoon or early evening in the Augusta - Margaret River area,
    reaching Perth metropolitan area later in the evening. By dawn on Wednesday
    winds along the west coast will begin to ease and the worst conditions will be
    along the south coast and inland.

HIGHER THAN NORMAL TIDES may cause FLOODING OF LOW-LYING COASTAL AREAS.
    DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS are likely which could cause significant beach
    erosion.

WHAT TO DO
    For personal safety FESA State Emergency Service [SES] advises you to secure
    loose objects, move vehicles under cover and stay inside away from windows. If
    caught outside you should find shelter away from trees, powerlines, storm water
    drains and streams. If you own a boat ensure it is securely moored. Take extra
    care on the roads as flooding is possible. If you are driving through heavy rain
    slow down and turn your lights on or if visibility becomes low pull over and
    park until it passes. For SES assistance call 132 500. For more safety tips
    visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDW28001.txt
    Lady Mamabear

[​IMG]
    Water polo training in the OUTSIDE pool at UWA has not been cancelled yet...
    I am supposed to be there with one kid or the other from 6-9pm.
    [​IMG]

This is gonna be good.
    WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member

Jeez, looks like I picked a good night to fly back into Perth
    gareth_oau

i took the opportunity to come home early and avoid all the carnage that the weather might have on traffic, but ended up experiencing MUCH worse - school kids on the bus and train [​IMG]
    Lady Mamabear

And you think you will be able to land?
    125km/hr winds...

[​IMG]

Guess whose spending the night in Adelaide!!!

I flew back from a Thredbo trip a few years ago and the plane had to land in Adelaide to refuel as the winds were so strong the fuel tanks were insufficient for the journey, and it was NOTHING like this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    Lady Mamabear

Nothing like soggy teenagers, they smell worse than wet dog.

My 18 yr old is doing a mates mercy dash at the moment, I told him to take care and COME STRAIGHT HOME.

Water Polo just got cancelled. Only because the pool was officially closed as a precaution. I am sure it would have gone ahead otherwise.
    gareth_oau

WAW, maybe you should be booking some overnight accommodation in NZ?
    Lady Mamabear

[​IMG]
    The laughs keep coming tonight!
    trappers

Main front coming in now about to hit bunbury, fortunately a little later than first expected,
    WaitAwhile

Landed eventually circled for a while and one fly around as we were coming in,due to high winds,1 hour late and another hour for luggage,got 2 hours sleep and back at airport and off to work for a week,time for a rest.
    WaitAwhile

Probably the bumpiest approach and landing ever had,and lightning, a few of the other flights did go to Adel ,worked out well as I have to go straight back to work,but was worth it for the Tuesday ski,nice snow and no people, skied straight onto lifts.
    Lady Mamabear

God I love skiing straight onto the lifts t Thredbo. Magic!

Glad you got in safely through the 'bumps', and out again. :)
    Kids been checking the website an emails hoping for a 'snow day' (school closure), but alas it appears our school is not one of about 100 across WA that are closed today.
    gareth_oau

I can honestly say I found last night a bit disappointing, an anti-climax.

I live around 17km from the coast and whilst I was lying in bed last night, the wind sounded a lot like big waves crashing on a beach...

...or perhaps we just experienced an incredibly high tide!! [​IMG]
    BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

We have just discovered a couple of puddles where the wind has actually blown the rain in through windows on the windward side of the house. - Either that or a really high tide [​IMG]

Looking at a couple of weather stations at Bunbury Port, last night gusted to about 52 knts (~95 km/h) with a ten min average speed of 42 knts (~78 km/h). That's not that different from Sunday 53/46 knts, just Sunday lasted longer.
    Lady Mamabear

We are a lot closer to the coast than that Gareth and there was a few freight train moments, lots of horizontal rain, and the puppy spent the night IN MY 18 yr olds BED!!! Big sook!

But apart from that not bad.
    Incredible day today though. Bright and fresh and still. [​IMG]
    Go Native

Go Native New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

We had rain come through an upstairs door to our balcony that was a good 2 meters under cover but at the front of the house and the rain was coming into the house sideways.

But it better be warm and dry from now on because we started our extension today and the back half of the roof comes off in about 3 weeks.
    Lady Mamabear

[​IMG]
    That was most definitely MY experience.

BUT a lot of people lost fences - at least 10 I know personally, and more than that were without power for extended periods of time. Loads of trees down, so I reckon that could have caused a fair bit f damage if they landed on cars or other valuable items.
    gareth_oau

I think it was a bit of a fizzer, but recognise that a few people lost rooves etc.
    gareth_oau

great morning this morning, with an official minimum of 2.7

Jandekot recorded 0.2C with an apparent temp of -3 deg.

I had to chisel the ice off the car
    Lady Mamabear

Papabear reckoned we might have snow in Perth while I am away, and I would miss it. I am prepared to risk it. [​IMG]
    gareth_oau

unfortunately you need cold AND wet at the same time for snow - In perth, we get one or the other, but never at the same time [​IMG]
    trappers

Dear Santa,

Thank you for bringing the mild temperatures ... Not!

Christmas Day: 39C
    Boxing Day: 37C
    27/12: 39C
    28/12: 39C
    30/12: 40C
    31/12: 40C

Looks like Perth summer back on track after last years lovely beautiful mild summer!!!