I love skiing but I'm not very good at it

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Annabuzzy, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Its a bit like a country and western lyric. I love skiing, but I'm not very good st it.

Given the level of interest I have for this sport/lifestyle I should be better. Lots better. It's not like I'm awful, but as a person who likes to be good at what I do, I could be lots better. Yes, I could live in a ski resort for a couple of seasons and that would probably have me at a level I'm comfortable with. But not now.

So there you go. The one thing outside my wife and child and maybe a few other things I love most, I'm sadly only modestly talented at it.

Life is so unfair.

Discuss.

#1 Annabuzzy, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Red_switch, Wardy, Chaeron and 6 others like this.
  2. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I noticed some years ago now, that after all the effort, the kind instructors, the study, the trips, my health, I am on the other side of the peak.

But I still think skier people are cool. Snowboarders, not so much. ;)

oldgeezer likes this.
  3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Can you switch from doing, to training and improving?

I made a concious decision a few years ago to improve my piste skiing. I'll never be amazing, but I like to think I've got better at it.

But I hears ya, loud and clear!

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

My skiing jumped ahead when I spent two months skiing in Lake Tahoe some years ago. Finally got the hang of skiing powder and trees.

So bank up your holidays or take some long service leave and go spend two months at a northern resort. With a season pass and discounted monthly accommodation it won't cost you much more than a two week trip.

piolet, dr80, kaegee and 4 others like this.
  5. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I hate to admit that after about 40 years of XC skiing, mainly touring and snow camping, that my turns are basically still snow plough turns!:(

Chaeron and piolet like this.
  6. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Same as B2Ski, I really noticed a jump in my skiing progression after a good extended snow holiday (+3 weeks, on the snow every day). Prior to that i'd only skied for a week or less and always felt that on the last days of the week I was finally just started to improve.

7. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'm comfortable with my level of skill, less so with my technique
    I should have lessons but I somehow don't get around to it
    the advantage of being on the snow fully covered and helmeted is that no one knows me and don't care whether I'm any good at it

Chaeron, Annitowa and climberman like this.
  8. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Gee Buzz, you go ok!!! :)

benchives, Ozgirl and Annabuzzy like this.
  9. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Well-Known Member

One of the things I love about skiing is that you can't fake it. It you're good, it shows - and if you're bad, it shows. It doesn't matter if you're wearing a $2000 Bogner suit or a green garbage bag and washing up gloves; how you look on the slope depends entirely on how well you ski. I find that very liberating. Another thing I love is that no matter how good you are, you can still have an "aha!" moment, when something suddenly clicks. I'm not very good either - I think I can look pretty good on anything up to an easier black, but put me on a mogul slope or in deep crud, and I'm suddenly a beginner again. And you know what? I don't care. I'd love to be better, but I use that as motivation rather than dwelling on how far I've got to go. And the better I get, the more fun it is!

Chaeron, lardarse, piolet and 6 others like this.
  10. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

11. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Im amazing, no one can learn me nothing.

Its the endless quest.

Chaeron, Annabuzzy and LMB like this.
  12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

I'll learn ya, ya bastard!

13. IAB

IAB Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I am only Intermediate, At Best.

I've noticed my skiing has got worse over the last couple of seasons. Dunno if its because of age, fitness, weight or something else. Had a private lesson last season, didn't seem to help.

But I still bloody love it!

GS and crackson like this.
  14. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah I think the problem is (for me) no matter what standard I reach, I want to get another level up.!!!

I'm praying the lotto fairy comes to visit. Plan B is my efforts on the voodoo dolls for the parents in-law come to fruition (kidding...sort of).

Snowfi, Chaeron, piolet and 4 others like this.
  15. Sandy

How old are you again? ;)

16. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

None of you suck as badly as I do on skis! I try, but I'm am absolutely hopeless. Hoping a full season will see me putting a few hours into actually getting off the baby slopes on skis.

I'm also hoping the season will see another quantum leap forward on the board. Chile was a huge turning point, now to keep at it.

SuskiQ, Kimski, kaegee and 1 other person like this.
  17. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

i've always been hopeless at sport. uncoordinated, unfit, just shit at sport. for all the years of skiing and lessons i should be much better, but at least i'm not woeful. i think @CarveMan had a priority list that went attitude/confidence, fitness, technique. i think my technique is moderate (or it was before the style changed) but my fitness is shit and confidence is very variable.

i don't care about speed, but i love feeling the smooth flow. it's about the only time i feel graceful. i'd love to ski better, but most of all it's about the fun and the feeling. i suspect that i'm aready getting worse rather than better but not giving up hope yet. i ski with some people in their 80s who are great skiers still. i love it just as much as that first day at Buller in '73 (and I'm mighty pissed off not to be skiing at all this year)

SuskiQ, Chaeron, Apresski and 3 others like this.
  18. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

You never feel like your getting better.

It's such a long curve.

The bonus though, is skiing harder lines and falling less.

I'm better than 5 seasons ago, but not significantly better than last season.

Takes such a long time.

19. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

I thought I was good 10 seasons ago. I wasn't. And i'm still not.

It's about the journey.

20. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

FIFY.

telecrag likes this.
  21. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

the seasons before and after i had a hip replacement were interesting. i really didn't want to fall: before because i didn't know if i could get up and after because i was concerned about the new joint. i skied more carefully and only in good conditions, but my turns improved as i kept them rounder and smoother

hongomania likes this.
  22. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I call myself the world's most experienced Beginner

Richard, CJP, Chaeron and 6 others like this.
  23. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

IMO the beauty of skiing is that everyone is at their own level finding their own challenges at any given moment. When it gets boring find something more challenging to get down. Who cares what it looks like. Its about getting down whilst staying upright. Anyone staying upright all the time isn't challenging themself hard enough.

Pretty happy that i can get down anything in most conditions and that is enough for me. Style can go suck a dick.

Tele has me stuffed for the time being. Getting confident on compacted snow but anything variable and i'm falling over lots.

tr+h and telecrag like this.
  24. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

each to their own

i'd rather ski something that feels great than just stay upright. that doesn't mean not challenging myself sometimes, just what i like best

25. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Ah grasshopper, to truly be the snow, one must truly know the snow. In our minds we create the snow. To truly create snow, know the snow, be the snow, can never end in boredom.

Bahahahaha!

I am addicted.

26. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

When you first start you think I want to get to expert I want to ski black runs. Then you ski black runs and you realise there is a whole bunch of other levels past that.

As above, spend some times in a resort it really
    Improved my skiing.

hongomania, crackson and LMB like this.
  27. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

I dedicated this season to getting better and felt the technique was improving after 250 runs off the V8 in June. Then we got real snow and more runs opened and I felt like there was little improvement - and me knees got sore. Today though, I went seriously hard into the soft stuff, experienced a couple of mishaps but nonetheless had a ball. Improvement by increments. 2017 - skiid powder and nailed horizontal 360's. Good year so far!
    As for lessons: saw a guy in the first few weeks who had an admiral style; someone to watch. Then saw him have a private lesson. He appeared to lose confidence, his skiing got worse and I havent seen him since. Perhaps you cant teach an old dog new tricks?

28. Slalom

Slalom Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think I'm ok at it and would classify myself as advanced but with that said, I've never seen footage of myself skiing. This would likely expose a whole host of problems.

29. Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I perpetually feel like my enthusiasm significantly outweighs my skill. I go too fast for what I'm capable of (not intentionally), and the end result is being perpetually on the verge of a nasty fall. 2 weeks ago that nasty fall caught up with me!

I'm with climberdude. From here on in it's a bit more time on the piste improving the skills so that when I do go adventuring again I might actually be able to do what I want to without involving a trip to the medical centre.

piolet, kaegee and crackson like this.
  30. Billy_Buttons

Season Pass Gold

...as you age and your time on snow reduces to only several days on snow per year, it's pretty damn hard to progress further than what you accomplished decades ago. As others have said, a few weeks o/s solid skiing can change your ability in leaps and bounds (for those that are fortunate enough to be able to do that). Happy Skiing, regardless! :cheers:

Chaeron likes this.
  31. SAL

SAL Active Member

I've always said I'm an expert on green slopes, advanced on blue, intermediate on black and beginner on double blacks! :(

Snowfi and Chaeron like this.
  32. Sandy

Not necessarily!!!
    I got in 37 days this past Japanese season!!! ;)

crackson likes this.
  33. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Or protecting bits that don't heal as quickly these days

currawong likes this.
  34. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Stop waxing your skis LOL

Undies likes this.
  35. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I know how and what expert skiers look like, and that's not me. I can ski the same terrain as them, does that count ?

Snow Blowey likes this.
  36. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

spend a day following @dawooduck or @CarveMan around and I reckon your skills would improve by osmosis,.

37. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I hadn't skied for 6 years before this year. I'm unfit, overweight and I have definitely lost some ability.

But today I had a fantastic time at Perisher. So who cares?

I'm working on getting the weight off and I'll probably push myself again when I'm back to my proper fighting weight

Undies, Snow Blowey and crackson like this.
  38. Billy_Buttons

Season Pass Gold

:p:thumbs:

39. coreyrocks

coreyrocks Just Registered

hey!! everyone starts from the same place right? probably the great skiers sucked when they started so you got this!!

40. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

What happened bro. Noticed your sudden appearance again this year.

41. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

42. IAB

IAB Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

51 :)

I know, I know, spring chicken compared to some ;)

Chaeron likes this.
  43. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Much truth in that. Maybe not osmosis so much as copying what they do and following their lines.

I'm not athletic either, never have been. I was always that kid who was picked last for any team sport at school, and I have a fear of steep slopes that can seriously bugger up my technique if I don't consciously check my stance at every turn to avoid recoiling uphill.

But when I'm able to follow someone better and just focus on following them rather than the terrain, it feels like magic.

Majikthise likes this.
  44. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

There's no easy answer to that, unfortunately. I've been around, just not skiing for some unknown reason

45. OlCol

OlCol New Member

Self taught complete with bad habits 35 years go. 25 years ago decided I needed lessons. Many lessons and years later I still have a few bad habits that I don't think I shall ever lose. 8 years ago finally got into correct fitting boots and skied Japan a few times with slow and steady improvement. 5 years ago skied in Val D'sere for only 7 days, longer steeper groomed runs with tons of lift accessed off piste. I did just one day with a few very good skiers and a guide who took us everywhere. It was literally sink or swim. I learnt more in that one day than at any other time. Wish I had done it earlier in my life as that is the best I will ever be. Sometimes we just have to be pushed outside our comfort zone.
    Try and ski some time with people who are better than you. who will chose runs for themselves and not you.

sourmash likes this.
  46. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've snowboarded for 20 years and am now 'trying' to transition to skiing. Primarily cause I want easier access to the backcountry, less time in and out of bindings and I want to keep up with my skier wife. I've skied for approx. 6 days now and feel like i'm progressing quite well, however I've taken two private lessons and each time s I try to learn the basics e.g snow plough (which I skipped when learning myself) I get discouraged, lessons set me back and I regress. I understand that teaching fundamentals is important but.....

Chaeron likes this.
  47. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Learning to snow plough is very likely to set you back.

Froff Life, Chaeron, fenrir and 2 others like this.
  48. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I never really learned snowplough turns either. I got mis-graded in a group lesson into a group doing J turns as an introduction to parallel turns and never looked back.

Chaeron and Tanuki like this.
  49. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

That comment was more in the context of barriers to improvement - it was psychology / fear > fitness / flexibility >>>>>> technique.

I made that comment a number of years ago and as I continue my way towards middle age I am even more convinced of this.

Psychology and fear is hard to work on, and for a lot of people it's hard to get the time on snow that you really need to work on your technique, so working on your fitness really is a free kick, it's something you can do every day, and often cheaply or for free. Note that I don't necessarily practice what I preach, but I can guarantee that the fitter version of you will be a better skier. Sure as shit would improve me.

Chaeron, Hully, Lifes2good and 3 others like this.
  50. sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29 Well-Known Member

I only got into skiing about 5 years ago and in my head I'm brilliant but the videos tell a different story!
    As long as I get down in one piece in a modicum of style, I'm happy!

fenrir likes this.