Question hut to hut trip suggestion around Mt Kosciuszko?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Maritxu, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

Good evening Down Under!!!

We will be travelling from the Pyrenees to Australia next july for 4 weeks skiing & rock climbing holiday in the east coast (first skiing in the south, then climbing in middle, north).

We are looking for any suggestion for a 5 to 7 days cross country skiing trip, from hut to hut.
    The objective would be to go up Mt Kosciuszko at some point in the trip.
    The plan would be to ski around 20 km a day, to make a loop or to cross from one point to another.

We would welcome any suggestion regarding
    - the best trip to to do
    - how to get to the starting point (bus? train?), since we will land in Melbourne.

Thank you in advance for you help

have a great day
    cheerio

Maritxu

2. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

K2K I reckon. With side trips. (Thats Kosi to Kiandra)

3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Hey guys, sounds great.
    Where do you plan to climb? Arapiles / Grampians, Nowra, Blue mountains, Point Perpendicular, Frog Buttress?

The Australian snow areas can be hard to access with public transport but with a bit of arranging lots of things are possible. What is your loose travel plan?

4. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

The first thing to understand is that to ski overland in Australia you have to learn to walk... Very unlikely that you'll get continous snow from Kiandra to Kosciuszko (which is the classic long ski tour in Australia).

Second is that the huts aren't Euro/US style venues - they range from rustic to falling down. Have a look at www.kha.org.au for good details on most of the huts. You'll probably be more comfortable in a good tent than a hut.

Having said all that, if we strike a good winter, if you time it right and if you're ready to deal with shitty weather and some long walks, you could construct a pretty cool tour that goes either from Thredbo to Kiandra, or a groovy loop that goes something like Thredbo-Kosciuszko-Main Range-Rolling Grounds-Grey Mare-Jagungal-Whites River-Guthega. That'd keep you busy for a few days, hit a few good huts and would likely have nearly continuous snow.

Getting to a start point by bus from Melbourne... don't know if that's possible without getting to Canberra first.

5. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I would always carry a tent regardless of whether there are 100 huts or none. If the weather in White season in the Oz Alps turns to fertilizer it can kill you very quickly.
    What about the two chaps who were trying to find Mawson's hut in a white out on a XC ski tour on the back of Mt. Jagungal ? One of them died of exposure/ hypothermia inside their snow cave.
    Their story is posted on the walls of the Mt. Wills Hut and possibly I also read it at Derchshko's hut too.
    You need to be able to put up a reliable shelter quite quickly , one that traps heat , and is snow, sleet and rain proof and can withstand icy gale force winds which the Snowy Mountains are infamous for .Take snow pegs and a half decent bivvy bag too. You will need to carry a snow shovel and possibly crampons or decent snow shoes for some icy ascents.Skins on XC skis may not be sufficient in some conditions.
    The huts as the other poster has said are nothing like those in Alpine Europe. Much of the Oz Alps are a wilderness and in white season especially you need to know what you are doing. That means being set up in terms of shelter by 4 pm in June, July and August. Knowing what anvil shaped clouds are telling you and other things that you won't know straight away if the Oz Alps are new to you .They are all part of experience and knowledge of local conditions that could save your lives.

#5 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. climberman

Season Pass Gold

How much of that lot above is likely to be intelligible to folks from The Pyrenees?
    It's hard enough for me to follow and I'm from Wollongong.

7. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I was thinking the very same thing. vicco, main drag, sussitout! all well intentioned but they would have no idea. if the OP is landing in Melbourne maybe the Bogong High plains would be a better deal, although as Steve says , you still need to carry a tent. anyway, more informed folks will have better ideas.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

C'est juste Boltens Hut et le tuyau secret qui sort du sol sur la jeep ... bien, nous pensons qu'il a été brûlé afin de ne plus s'inquiéter ... il m'a fallu deux voyages différents pour le trouver ... ... et Ubi était comme la première fois? C'était sur Old Drillers Hut pour SMA ...
    Ubi suggère que vous lisez autant de notes de piste et que vous regardez bien les photos avant de décrocher ce voyage ... vous allez certainement passer par Happy Jacks Plain .... 4 Huts existent là-bas Happy Hut ... Brooke's Hut (on Les pentes inférieures de la crête d'Asenic) puis dans l'autre vallée Linesmans Hut (petite cabane sur le toit près de la chaussée principale) et la meilleure cabane pour la nuit serait Boobee Hut (caché dans le bord de la brousse). À travers la vallée, pas trop loin de Boobee, c'est Mackeys Hut (de la mémoire, il est situé sur le Firetrail ... appelez-le le Happy Jacks Complex of Huts ..

Plus loin après avoir dépassé la crête de la ferme, vous verrez probablement Okeefes Hut vieux mais confortable ........ on l'appelle partie du groupe Mt Jungungal ... vous avez des césariens à l'est du mont J, Deresckos à la West.Okeefes au Nième et ensuite Mawsons à la Sth et Valentines au Sth West.
    Lorsque vous vous dirigez vers Schlink Pass, vous pouvez aller via Greymare bien au sthwest de Mt J ... nous ajoutons Dereskos est un saut de sauter et saute de cette trajectoire ... une fois que vous allez via Greymare, vous allez certainement venir via Valentines Si vous montez sur Mt J, vous pouvez aller directement à Mawsons, puis à Valentine.

De Mawsons on peut facilement monter River to Tin qui se trouve en selle entre différents cours d'eau. De Tin ou. Mawsons on voyage généralement à Gungarten et à Schlink Pass.

Maintenant, l'autre groupe de cabanes nous appelerons le Schlink Pass Complex .... Schlink Hilton pas trop loin de S.Pass.Little Orange Hut.Horse Hut et Whites River Hut et Dissapointment Spur Hut.

La plupart des gens prennent le terrain qui roule par derrière, mais certains vont de Schlink Hilton via Dicky Cooper Bogong puis ensuite à Rolling Ground.
    Avant Happy Jacks Plain .... Appelons-les le complexe Far Chameau ....
    Il y a 4 Mile Hut (minuscule), Brocken Dam ... ces deux sont les plus proches de votre voyage à partir de Kiandra .... 4 mile est comme une heure de Mt.Selwyn et Brocken Dam probablement à une autre heure en direction de Sth. La piste principale du feu se dirige vers une selle haute à l'est de Happy Jacks Plain et Happy Jacks Rd sort quelque part là-bas ... Alors que vous entrez HJ Plain Happys Hut est le premier que vous pouvez voir alors Brooke's Linesman sur le maillon ... .... note Happy Jacks River court "grand" en hiver et peut être traversé sur le pont de connexion en dessous de Brooke's Hut à partir de la mémoire ou plus en amont en aval de Arsenic Ridge est beaucoup plus un défi ... alors c'est le long de Happy Jacks Rd Pour un peu de marche ou de ski avant de partir près de Linesman Hut en direction de la vallée jusqu'à Boobee.
    Une fois à Boobee on peut voyager plus loin vers le haut de la vallée en ligne droite passant sur la crête puis sur l'eau suivante grossière et st le long de cette clairière pour frapper la piste de jeep avant Farm Ridge ..... alternativement après Happy Hut suivre la piste jeep de HJ Rd à Farm Ridge ..

9. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Tres bien

10. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

Didn't Sandy used to run stuff through google translate English->Japanese->English->Japanese-English?

Just sayin'...

11. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

ok, first of all, thank you all for the prompt replies,
    I managed to get through them all, after reading them twice and taking notes :thumbs:

I take note of the K2K trip and the other suggestions from Kieran.
    I will check all that by looking at the kha website and might come back with more questions.

We are aware that the environment will be new to us, that the sun moves differently and that north faces will be our south faces, so we are considering taking a GPS although we are rather used to follow our way on maps over here.
    We've also seen that the huts are not the same standard as in Europe, but they are still an option and can be of good help in some situations. I think it is a good thing to be aware that they are there.

Weerab, do you have any tour suggestions in Bogong highplain?

I mention Kosciuzsko NP in my post as it would be nice to get to the "Australia summit" but we are totally opened to other suggestions from the locals. We know that other places could be just as interesting or even more interesting, so, do not hesitate to send some suggestions if you feel so. (When people think about mountains in Europe, they think about the Alps, but you can do great things in Scotland as you can in the Pyrenees or in Norway for exemple), so any other idea is welcome...as long as it is in south eastern australia!!!

Climberman, we are thinking about going to Blue Mountains for rock climbing, that's the idea but I still need to look at that.
    We'll do sport climbing as we cannot bring all the gear for everything.
    We land in Melbourne on July 23rd to take off 4 weeks later, on August 18th from Brisbane.
    We'll take a camper van after the ski tour to move around and to be free to do so as we wish.

Any suggestion of good spots and things to do or to see (outdoor related) on the way between Melbourn to Brisbane is welcome.

Thank you all again for these irst replies, I'll be back with more questions probably! :)

Bye bye for now

Maritxu

SkiMountaineer, cin and Tanuki like this.
  12. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Excellent :)
    The K2K is the local classic.
    The blue mountains will be good then, but cool to cold. Nowra can be good then too.
    Contact here or at the Chockstone forum for arranging climbing and maybe transport when you get here.
    There are some good crags on the trip north to Brisbane - @Kletterer can probably advise some good spots for the itinerant sport climber :)

piolet likes this.
  13. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Je serais toujours porter une tente indépendamment du fait que il y a 100 huttes ou pas. Si le temps en saison blanche dans les Alpes Oz se transforme en engrais, il peut vous tuer très rapidement.
    Et les deux gaillards qui essayaient de trouver la cabane de Mawson dans un blanc sur un tour de ski XC sur le dos du mont Jagungal? L'un d'eux est mort d'exposition / hypothermie dans leur grotte de neige.
    Leur histoire est affichée sur les murs du mont Wills Hut et peut-être je lu aussi qu'il cabane de Derchshko aussi.
    Vous devez être en mesure de mettre en place un abri fiable assez rapidement, qui emprisonne la chaleur, et est la preuve de la neige, le grésil et la pluie et peut résister à des vents de force tempête de glace qui les montagnes enneigées sont tristement célèbres pour piquets de neige .take et demi bivvy décent sac aussi. Vous devez porter une pelle à neige et peut-être ou crampons des chaussures de neige décentes pour certains ascents.Skins de glace sur les skis XC peuvent ne pas être suffisant dans certaines conditions.
    Les cabanes que l'autre affiche a dit ne sont pas comme ceux de l'Europe alpine. Une grande partie des Alpes Oz sont un désert et en saison blanche surtout que vous devez savoir ce que vous faites. Cela signifie être mis en place en matière d'abris de 16 heures en Juin, Juillet et Août. Savoir ce que l'enclume des nuages en forme vous disent et d'autres choses que vous ne saurez pas tout de suite si les Alpes Oz sont nouveaux .Ils font partie de l'expérience et de la connaissance des conditions locales qui pourraient sauver votre vie.

Apologies for the translation. I am an Urdu speaker not a French speaker and I know that " Google translate" is often wrong. I used Google translate for this translation of my post about safety in the snow in the Australian Alps.

14. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Welcome Maritxu!

Another option considering you are arriving in Melbourne would be a Mt Hotham to Falls Creek tour in Victoria. Both Hotham and Falls Creek are serviced by bus.

A scenic tour encompassing some of our best Alpine scenery could be Hotham...Mt Feathertop...return to Hotham...Mt Loch...Derricks hut...Dibbins hut... Bogong High Plains....maybe Mt Fainter....cope hut...Mt Nelse....Ropers Hut....and then to Falls Creek.

Plenty of basic Huts along the way, navigation relatively straightforward, plenty of opportunity for both touring and some turns, and easy transport at start and finish.

Good luck with your plans!

15. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The Bogong High Plains in white season can be dangerously windy and cold and blizzards can make navigation very hard. However the snow pole lines across the treeless plateaux( French spelling ;-P ) definitely assist with navigation in the absence of clear features such as trees. I still use a map and compass to go up Heathy spur and other places in the Bogong High Plains area in winter/early spring esp. in poor conditions.The huts , if you can find them are often very good but they are also very popular all year round and can be so full that they are not much fun to use.
    Again , carry a good snow tent , be set up at camp , preferably with some tree /snow gum cover by 4 pm and if you or your party are feeling fatigued or cold and wet then stop at Lunch time, set up camp and find a way to cook , eat , dry out and warm up.
    The Bogong High Plains do offer a ' white desert ' feel like the Main range in NSW has in white season and this is quite addictive as far as SE Australian cold season outdoor experiences go.

Kieran likes this.
  16. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Another white season back country option is the tricky L O N G crossing from The Licola /Gippsland side of the Victorian Alps over to the Upper Howqua river area near the Mt. Stirling, Merrijig and Mansfield side using the Tamboritha and Howitt roads as ski/snow shoe tracks. In Winter these roads are closed and often under deep snow.Even in green season it feels rather remote out there and getting into trouble out there in the snow in bad weather would be SCARY.The best hut by far in this section of the Australian Alps is arguably the Vallejo Gantner hut at MacAlister Springs.Any descent from the main ridge down to the Howqua or King rivers in winter will require carrying and possibly using crampons and an ice axe e.g. the Howitt spur track.

17. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Crikey

This thread...

Welcome, dont make plans.

Enjoy.

18. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

@Maritxu welcome.
    July can be the month of blizzards.
    Above the tree line can be whiteout and gale force conditions.
    A great classic Australian trip is Guthega Power Station - Schlink Pass - Mt Jagungal return. There are about 10 huts that can be used depending on your route.

It is undulating and not steep but remote and distinctly Australian.
    Climbing in the Blue Mountains in July can be fantastic if it's sunny with fantastic friction.
    If you're sport climbing, then base yourself around Blackheath- Mt Victoria.
    Please message me about climbing as I live in the Blue Mountains.
    Hopefully it's a snowy winter!

Vanders, tay, DJM and 5 others like this.
  19. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

We also have a climbing thread here in The Distance section.

#19 Kletterer, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
    Majikthise likes this.
  20. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

Steve, it sounds to me like the beginning of your text here is missing...or is there something I did not catch?
    I do not understand which trip you're talking about at the beginning of this post.

Could you please clarify?

Thank you

Maritxu

21. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

Thank you Tele whippet, the pictures are great!

22. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Maritxu

Can I ask what you are hoping to get out of the ski trip? Apart from the obvious to see another country.

Are you after downhill thrills, I.e the aim of the trip aside from the getting to see a bit of Australia is to ski down hill?

Or did you want to spend some time in the Australian backcountry effectively walking about on skis? Note most of the above mentioned trips fit this option.

I ask as most of the "hut touring" in Australia fits the later option and whilst we can get some great downhill runs you are predominantly (effectively) walking about on skinnier skis.

As has been covered already the huts can't be pre booked and July is our storm month which makes staying the the tree line at least my preferred option this time of year.

What sort of experience do you have? Level of skier? This might give us a better understanding of the trips we should be recommending.

Once I get an understanding of the above I am happy to suggest a trip and can send pictures of any hut in Kosciouszko so you get an idea of what you are in for.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy.

cin, Majikthise and piolet like this.
  23. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

Good evening Zac

I'm not looking for downhill thrills, I'm looking for cross country skiing to "walk"or "slide" around on thinner skis.
    As far as my level of experience is concerned, I've been skiing (cross country) here at home but also in the Swiss Alps (doing the TJS) and in Norway a couple of times (in Jotunheimen) as these places are more interesting for cross country skiing. In the Pyrenees hills are too steep, and I usually go by myself in more hilly areas.
    My friend is doing a lot of alpine skiing (I'm not too sure what to call it in english...he uses skis to reach the base of a ice climbing route for example).
    Apart from skiing, when the weather is ok, we go mountaineering in winter and rock climbing in summer...we usually go out every weekend. We are used to handle ice axes, crampons and winter gear.
    I would say that we do have some experience but we are also aware that this will be a new place, with new conditions, a "new" sun which we will have to be carefull with since our sense of direction might be challenged, and we are aware that we have to make sure to reach the resting point before the sun starts to come down.

Taking all this together I think we should say that we should consider that we have a medium level.

I mentionned looking for a trip around Mt Kosciouszko since it would be nice, if we can, to go up that summit, however, if you think that there is any other place around that is worth beeing seen, you are more than welcome to suggest any other area. We could split our trip in 2 other smaller trips if it looks better and if it does not mean to move with busses.

Do not hesitate to let me know if you think that any of the suggested routes so far might not fit to our profile.

I am looking forward to your feedback

Thank you

Maritxu

24. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

While Kosciuszko can fit into a lot of tours remember that the summit is 6 reasonably flat kilometres from the top of a chairlift at Thredbo. You can get there and back in time for lunch.

coolair, Ubiquitous Steve and piolet like this.
  25. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

Yep, Kossie is the easy bit of any tour on the NSW Main Range. The stretch northwards from there towards the Rolling Grounds is exposed and prone to high winds and bad weather. It has some options for steep skiing, but nothing compulsory, and a cruise down the Snowy River, then up Pounds Creek will get you towards the north of the park on fairly easy, rolling terrain. If you were doing that, then a side trip up to see Blue Lake would be worthwhile.

More interesting is to stay higher and head along the ridgeline of Mt Mueller, Mt Northcote, Mt Lee, Mt Carruthers, Mt Twynam, Mt Anderson etc. More exposed, likely to be ice and/or sastrugi, but better views in good weather and takes you past a few glacial lakes.

26. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Maritzu

You sound pretty experienced and adventurous, and your trip will be pretty amazing,

Firstly I should say I don't ski in Victoria, for no other reason than I live close to the NSW ski areas so prefer to play there. With this in mind all my advice suggestions are based on NSW.

If you can pick up your camper earlier and are reasonably self sufficient your best bet is to head to Jindabyne, look for the local shops Paddy Pallin and Wilderness sports, both are shops with locals who will be able to sort out gear and advice.

Kosciouszko can be done as a day trip from Thredbo which would tick that box off the list and give you an intro to Aus snow conditions.

I should add at this point that in and around the NSW ski resorts there are plenty of good camp grounds. In between your shorter adventures you will be able to camp out.

With this in mind I would then drive to Guthega and head out maybe overnight (weather permitting), to Blue lake , this will involve snow camping for a night but would then allow your friend to do some alpine climbing. There are a few on this forum who ice climb in this area and will be able to give more advice / suggestions than me on this.

From Guthega, you could then head back to Guthega (munyang) power station and start a four day back country trip toward Jagungal as described as Tele Wippet.

My reasons for above trip are:

- easy acces to start of the trip (Jindabyne)
    - you are maximising your time in areas where the snow cover is generally good, less chance of patchy or base less snow.
    - if the weather is questionable you can easily shift the plans slightly to make the most of your time.

Pm me for more details, there are a few of us in the forum up that way on weekends and could also steer you in the right direction.

Have a great trip, zac

Majikthise, ecowain and piolet like this.
  27. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Steve The Distance is in the Apres section below Conversation.

28. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I was going to suggest skiing out of Falls Creek Ski resort to Fitzgeralds hut, Edmonsons hut and Ropers hut, but GS suggestion is probably better. I skied Guthega to Jagungal in NSW years ago and that was a great trip too.

29. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

There has been some excellent advice. ( and some other less useful which is mostly now gone)
    July can be very frustrating and variable snow. I think if you keep in contact on this forum, you will more than likely find people you could ski and climb with when you are in the country. And failing that , closer to the time , once snow conditions and weather are known more specific suggestions about how best to enjoy our hills for any given week or weekend.

tele-whippet, GS and Kletterer like this.
  30. zac150

zac150 Well-Known Member

Not sure this is a useful comment or pointed at me; but as I'm one of the few who have posted suggestions since yours so let me qualify my position.

I have walked / skied to every hut in Kosci bar none between Kiandra and the vic border, and I am about 70% through the huts between Canberra and Kiandra, so you could say I have visited a couple outside the main range.

I am well aware of what huts were burnt and what huts were rebuilt having worked on many of the rebuilds. I have also assisted at many of the timber skills workshops cutting boards and shingles to be used on the huts.

I have little choice in this, as my better half is on the alps committee as one of the ACT reps so I get dragged along. Oh yeah this also means I generally know which huts are being worked on before most people as my wife provides advice on the rebuilds.

This has not and should not (as my post suggested) be a Victoria v NSW debate.

Simply I don't see the point suggesting someone plan a trip to an exposed area in the month of the year we get our worst storms. Especially as the person is coming from o/s so there ability to change plans is limited. Hence my recommendations which allow a little flexibility.

31. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt. Bogong is Australia's highest Freestanding Mountain (1986 M. ) and in winter it is a wilderness with plenty of white season back country sports options. It is more of a mountain than Mt. Kosci. is because Mt. Kosci . is just a hill on a plateaux ( French spelling ;-P ). Carruther's Peak and Mt. Jagungal , both in NSW , are more spectacular to visit than Mt. Kosci. is .
    Mt. Feathertop (1922 M. ) is the steepest and most mountain shaped peak in the Australian Alps.It is where many local people get their snow and ice skills together for trips to Nepal, Pakistan, India, Tajikistan etc. You should consider these peaks and options too.

32. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Just to give some first hand visual evidence of white season in The Victorian Alps. Here are some pic.s from 2016.This is Early August on top of Mt. Bogong in 2016.We were lucky with the weather.Notice the pole lines :)

33. Mister Tee on snow shoes

This is The Main Range, N.S.W. in Mid . October 2016 , arguably the best time to go there for white season activities.

34. Mister Tee on snow shoes

These are the Bogong High Plains near Mt. Nelse in early September 2016.Again take note of the wooden snow Pole lines.

35. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt. Stirling is where many people get their start with back country white season activities. There are good huts there that are well stocked with firewood all winter.I took this photo of the Bluff spur hut on the 24th of July 2016.It was a powder snow weekend :) .

piolet likes this.
  36. Mister Tee on snow shoes

One more photo of the Main Range in N.S.W. from Spring 2016.

37. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt. Feathertop in Winter 2015.I took this photo using a film camera.You can see the summit ridge is very steep.

cin and piolet like this.
  38. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mt. Buffalo in Victoria has voodoo properties if you time your visit right . It snowed 30 cms of fresh powder the night before we went in late June 2016.

39. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I am really enjoying this thread, keep the pics coming. Bear in mind that Marixtu is talking about a 5-7 day ski tour. Hopefully he is aware that most of the huts are tres basic, esp compared to European huts. Marixtu, you'll have a great time wherever you end up, we have heaps of skiable snow down under. skiable because it is not too steep! Kosciusko is the highest mountain in OZ but Feathertop and Bogong in Victoria have much more alpine character. Enjoy!

40. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Is that you in the bottom pic, Steve?

41. Mister Tee on snow shoes

It looks a bit like a younger version of Ub. Steve but I could be wrong.
    Here are some more photos :).Notice the Pole line. This is a photo that I took of the back country at Mt. Baw Baw Nat.park in winter in Victoria.

42. Mister Tee on snow shoes

River crossings in white season when moving around the VIC./NSW Australian Alps back country can be very cold indeed and sometimes it is not possible to cross at all if the water is really flowing hard and fast.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  43. Maritxu

Maritxu Just Registered

thank you for all the pictures,

what are the poles for? Are they like cairns to guide the people as long as they are not under snow?

44. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

They are a Victorian thing. Do not expect them in NSW. NSW people can use maps.

crackson likes this.
  45. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

How is the glassware provided in these huts?
    Any good or should you bring your own if you like to drink out of an nice glass?

DJM, stansi and Kletterer like this.
  46. stansi

stansi Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

^^^^^^^
    "Back Country Fishing" thread?

@cin

#46 stansi, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    piolet likes this.
  47. Mister Tee on snow shoes

In a white out you cannot see the next pole in Victoria in the Vic. Alps. That is when we Victorians use a map and compass to find the next pole and the person behind you is connected to you by a ball of string, so that you both don't end up lost, frozen and dead, in that order ;-P .

48. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The Mt.Stirling summit pole line on a sunny day in Winter a few seasons back .Sometimes the poles are all you have up there to find your way from one hut to the next over the summit when the weather is crap.

whether likes this.
  49. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The Eskdale spur Pole Line near the Summit of Mt. Bogong , early August 2016.I have a theme going about pole lines ! ;-P .

whether likes this.
  50. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The Mt. Stirling summit Pole line coming up from the GGS hut in typical July weather, 2016 Early July..... a solo trip and often quite grim stuff!.This is why a map and compass are handy in the Vic. Alps!!!.

whether likes this.