Tutorial How to post images on these forums.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Richard, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

LAST EDIT and correct information: 21 Jan 2017
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two methods to posting an image on these forums, Insert & Upload

But first, a couple of ground points;

1) So first thing is no one can scrape or 'copy & paste' using control c, control v from other websites or from a document on your computer and capture the image like you can capture the text. (You can not do that on Facebook either, and they are much more clever than us).

2) Only Gold & Silver members have the ability to upload images directly from their computer or smartphone throughout the whole forum (these members see an Upload button).
    This will change during January 2017 so that all members can upload directly -- but for the moment it is only Gold & Silver members.

3) There are two exceptions to the above. All registered members can upload images in the Backcountry forum and everyone with permission to start a thread in Gear Swap, may also upload images in Gear Swap.

Method 1: INSERT with image URL
    All registered members can insert a link to an image that is hosted here on ski.com.au or elsewhere on the web, using the exact web address (URL) of the image. Once you have copied the url of an image, you paste it with the image button - watch this video;

Watch the video for details on Method 1.

This method is how most of the images you see on our forums are inserted.

A good tutorial on how to find and copy the correct web address (URL) of an image that you have found elsewhere on the web may be found here;
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-the-URL-for-Pictures

Notes about online Photo hosting services
    For your personal photos there are many web hosting options such as Photobucket, Flickr, Imgur that make it really easy to post your images on forums like ours.

However, linking a private photo from one of the above storage services will not work. Ensure you have the correct embed URL and that your photo is set for public viewing.

Notes about online Storage Services
    Online Storage services such as Dropbox, Google Photos, Google Drive & Microsoft OneDrive can also be useful for posting images on forums - however, they require a couple of steps to get it right.

We have created some tutorials to demonstrate the process from these storage services.

Method 2: UPLOAD from computer or phone
    Gold & Silver members may upload images using the 'Upload Pic/File' button (which only these member see). This process is very similar to Facebook and other social media platforms. The button looks like this;
    [​IMG]

Full Size Images & Thumbnails
    Once your image has been uploaded you may choose to post it as either a Thumbnail or a Full Size image.

[​IMG]

WAIT until thumbnail is processed
    With very large files you will need to wait until the thumbnail is processed before you may post your image.

Upload Restrictions
    - Each image upload is limited to10MB file size.
    - You may only upload a maximum of 5 images per post.
    - Only JPEG, PNG & GIF image file types may be uploaded (allowed extensions .jpeg .jpg .jpe .png .gif )
    - Portable Document Format & Text files may also be upload (allowed extensions .pdf .txt)

About Large Image Files
    10MB is a fair size image and uploads greater than 4MB may take some time to process depending on your Internet connection -- whether you are on wi-fi at home or in a public place, or using your phone's 3G/4G data connection. There are many variables and a 10MB image may take upwards of 1 minute to fully upload.

About Animated Gifs
    Because we use a dynamic image server to optimise image file size, animated gifs will be stripped of animation. Boring but true! For animated gifs it is best to embed as Media link from a service like Imgur or Gify

Questions or trouble getting it to work?
    Ask below.

CarveMan likes this.
  2. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

You have two method 1's.

3. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

solid counting skills there CW,

fixed.

ta.

4. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

You can "count" on me?

I'll see myself to the door...

5. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Nooooo!
    I was subjected to Method/1 (IT project methodology) back in the 80s. It cannot be allowed to breed

6. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

bump to top of Sticky list

7. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

There may be instructions for this elsewhere that I have missed, but I'd love to know how to embed an image from Instagram. I see others do it seamlessly, but whenever I do it I get the broken image icon or a whole lot of HTML script, sometimes with the picture but usually not.

8. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

With Instagram, it's the the same as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and a myriad of other 'media' services, you simply paste the 'share' link using the icon in the post msg field that looks like two strips of film.

I'm on tablet so can't screen grab just the selection I need.

9. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Ah, I see where I was going wrong - I was pasting the code in image bit, not the media bit.

And, success! :)

Chaeron and cold wombat like this.
  10. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

11. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

Testing...(sorry)

Attached Files:

12. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Woz his name O

Bee Eye En Gee Oh

13. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ahh, a Methodone user. We saw quite a few users of that at work ;)