how to pack a double ski bag ??

Discussion in 'Passport' started by alwaysec, Mar 3, 2012.

alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

actually, i have a few questions. i bought a high sierra double ski bag from stp which is a bit too long considering our longest skis is only 170cm. anyway we are flying to NZ in the coming winter. what we have now are the double ski bag, and one boot bag among two of us. the questions are:

1. how to pack both skis in one ski bag CORRECTLY? the base of each ski should face to each other? the bindings should face up and down or inward or outward? the lady's ski binding is much higher than my binding.
    2. apart from the skis, anything else i can pack in? (i know boots better to be carried on the plane)
    3. have to mention we have two helmets too which take space too.
    4. do many people really carry boot bag on the plane?i have one boot bag which can fit two pairs of boots (try just now), but then it looks huge. anyone has trouble to carry the boots on the plane? you wont have problem with the security guys? you know you really can kill/injure anyone by throwing a ski boot at him/her [​IMG]
    i am starting shopping for the bags, accessories , etc now, so want to make sure i do buy what i need. thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

Re: how to pack a double ski bag for NZ trip??

Check the conditons of your tickets and see what baggage you are allowed before you decide what bags you are taking.
    ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

I cant see how you can take 2 pairs as they should be too heavy. One pair including bag for me is about 5kg as carry on . I hire skis O/S if im doing other things other than skiing. Couldnt be bothered dragging them around.
    Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Carry 2 pairs all the time; extra baggage allowance from QC membership probably helps.
    krobbo

krobbo Active Member

We carried 2 pairs with some clothing and thermals and kept in under the 23kg with Qantas. Boots were separate.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

What ever you do, don't drag the ski bag up to the check-in desk and just as you are about to be served by the airline staff, unzip the bag a few inches, speak into the bag and say "you got enough air in there? Ok. see you in Queenstown." And then zip up the bag and greet your airline rep with a warm "Hi. How are you today?"
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Umm no, doesn't sound like a smart move.
    Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Throw a couple of possums in the bag to keep the skis separated; protects the skis and Kiwis just love them.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

I Will fly with airNZ. cananyone answer my questions in the first post? I reallywant to know how to pack two pairs if skis in one double ski bag.We Will stay in queenstown for half month
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

I've never travelled with 2 pairs of skis myself, but if you have a double ski bag for 2 people it shouldn't be a problem at all. I would imagine that a double ski bag would have sort sort of dividing material to seperate the two sets of skis. The skis would stilll be stored base to base. If there isn't any divider stick some towels or maybe ski pants between them. Then strap it up so they aren't bouncing around loose inside. If you just have skis the bag weight should only be around 10kg or so, so shouldn't be a real; problem for you or the baggage handlers to handle.

You may have a problem trying to take boot bag woth two pairs of boot onboard. Imagine it would be a bit bulky & heavy to store overhead. Either checkin the one bag or take them on board in two seperate ones. I personally rarely take boots on board - just keep them in my regular luggage.
    Only exception would be when going to a remote location without hire possibilities if they are delayed, which doesn't apply for NZ.

I don't have a helmet myself but have seen many take them on board strapped to a backpack, otherwise packed in a big wheelie snowboard bag.

So your double ski bag with 2 pairs of skis, boot bag with 2 pairs of boots, maybe a wheelie duffel bag for clothes - should be able to get within the 40kg for 2 people as checkin. Then small backpack each as carryon, including camera, laptop etc. Carry helmets on board if they don't fit well in the duffel bag.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

Appreciated.I will probably carry the helmets with me this year.last year, only two helmet occupied a whole carry in case.they won't have the previlage this year.I will leave my gf' boots in the check in suitcase as hers is cheaper than mine.
    BoofHead

BoofHead Active Member

There are always boot bags on ebay that go for $10-20. My wife and kids can get their boots and helmet in and be under the carry on limit. My boots are too big to allow my helmet to fit.
    I have a dakine double wheelie and travel with 2xpair of skis, 2 pair of stocks, 2pair of pants, 2helmets and socks and thermals for extra padding. I place the shovels and tails of he longest pair in the helmets which works well and protects the ends.
    i manage to keep the weight to 20 kgs. However, I only have 1pair of bindings i. That lot.
    I'm heading to the NZ club fields in Aug and hope to squeeze in the above plus my bindings with the 23 kg .

As mentioned, Only having to worry about 1pair of bindings makes it much easier for packing but if I didn't have that option, I would have the bases facing out on the outside pair. Bases can take a lot of punishment and are easty to fix if something goes wrong. bindings can be a lot more problematic if dmaged.
    You could always cut a strip of some sort of protective materail and tape on to the bases if you were worried. Eg foam, cardboard, etc.

Ski pants and socks strategically placed provide the protection needed.
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

My suggestion that you check the conditions of your ticket was a serious one as it can affect your luggage decisions. We have just had experiences of 2 different ailines (Jetstar and Delta) with different rules. Jetstar do not care about the number of bags you have but have lower weight limit (40kg max) with a maximum individual bag weight of 32kg. Delta let you have 1 bag plus your skis with each bag having a maximum weight of 23kg, giving you a total of 46 kg weight limit.

And then we had to catch a bus when we got back to Aus with yet another set of rules.

Also if you need to carry your luggage around at all you need to think about how you will do that. We carried a ski bag weighing 18.8 kg around Tokyo and it killed our shoulders. It had 2 sets of skis plus some other stuff. If I did this again I would have each set of skis in a seperate bag.

We have 3 bags that will carry 2 sets of skis. At the moment my favourite is the Aldi snowboard bag. I will be be buying more of these when they come out this year. Each set of skis is put base to base with the brakes interlocked. When we have them to hand we also put a strap around each end of the skis to help keep them together. How they then get packed in the bag depends on which bag. In the Aldi bag they get put in side by side with the bindings up and down. In the other bags they get packed on their side with the bindings overlapping in the middle and sticking out at each side. So you will need to check out what works for the bag you have. If we are short on space in our other bags we pack bulky stuff like jackets and ski pants in the ski bags.

We also have boot bags.If you can, get ones you can carry easily as a back pack. We put a set of ski boots and our apre boots in these. The boots are usually stuffed with socks, undies, thermals and other small items of clothing.

We also have what I call skiing bags. These are a bit like a duffle bag but have compartments at each end for your boots.They have holes in the bottom of these compartments to let any water drain out. These are good if you are travelling imediately after skiing and need to put wet boots in your bag. The one where the zipper has 2 sliders is better as it makes it easier to pack other stuff around your boots. They also weigh less than suitcases so you can take more stuff within your weight limit.

Helmets get packed inside a bag with clothes packed around them. 10 years ago our bags would get inspected to find out what the funny round thing was. Now customs know about helmets.

We have never carried our boots as carry on luggage. If you are worried about losing your luggage, the advice given to us was take your boots, a pair of ski socks jacket and ski pants as part of your carry on luggage. Everything else you can either do without for a few days, hire or replace relatively easily. We have never lost any luggage but know of a family stuck in Italy at Christmas with no luggage.

Hope that all helps.
    dawooduck

dawooduck Old And Crusty

If you are struggling with baggage weight gain:

Take the bindings and brakes off and stuff the bindings in your boots and carry on the boot bag and throw the brakes in your ski bag... that is all the heavy stuff removed from the checked baggage. Put spare undies and socks and your toothbrush,toothpaste, and any medicals in your boot bag in a baggie.

Tape your skis with the bases together and a bit of card between the touching surfaces and place the taped pairs them end to end. stuff socks between the bases to maintain ski shape.

Lay a bed of clothes in the ski bag, put the skis in and add clothes on top.

Put socks, gloves and other "stuffables" around the tips n tails of your skis

Helmets go in the other clothes bag with clothes stuffed around. (Helmets weigh sfa)

Even better, don't take skis, hire them .... and leave all the daily electronic stuff at home. A phone and a camera is all that is really needed for a ski trip.

A small medical\fix it kit with 100 mph tape, various blister plasters, some of that white medi tape, Claritin, Imodium, Mobic, Arnica, Tea Tree, Diprosone and some small sharp scissors.
    Rapid_Revilo

Rapid_Revilo Active Member

I stuff everything into my ski bag when i travel - beanies, gloves, socks, jackets, jumper. i basically wrap the skis in as much sh*t as i can until it's bulging. Then my regular suitcase is light and tangy.

As for the boots, i used it as my main carry on. Mine has 1 extra pocket so i stuffed magazines, papers etc in there and the rest i literally anything else in the boots. Probably not applicable for NZ as much as that was for a Adl-Syd-Lax flight which took 13 hours.

So basically it was my normal suitcase checked in, ski bag checked in oversize, bootbag on the plane. Thats it!

It was a little foul getting my Mp3 player from my stinky boots on the way back, but hey its saves $$$.
    Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

When flying Qantas this is what you should do, they permit two bags, you can't take a suitcase, ski bag and boot bag, that's 3 bags.
    Snorkler

Skibags on AirNZ count as a single checked bag as per their rules. If you are taking a suitcase as well in economy, you'll need to pay the excess bag fee which is $37.50 each way in local currency (50% each way)
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

Very few airlines (if any?) have exemptions for ski gear these days, they usually count as a piece of checked baggage and come under the overall weight allowance.

I've seen a few airlines exempt golf clubs but that's about it.
    mauricem

mauricem Active Member

We travelled with the same double ski bag to NZ last year. Two pairs of skis and bindings, Each pair base to base and bindings facing inwards with helmet at each end acting as buffers. Bubble wrap around bindings and ski tips. Bag weighed about 23kgs. Seriously thinking about trying to fit a third pair of skis in for this years trip and possibly removing bindings

Flew Virgin and booked just before they changed policy on an extra 5kg per person for sporting goods. This year either AirNZ with 50% discount on extra sporting bag or Jet* and prebook 40kg for an extra $30. Virgin now have no affordable excess luggage options

I cant see anyway that a bag that could fit 2 pairs of boots would classify as carry on. We each carry a single boot backpack bag and they just conform to requirements. From their policy airnz is tighter on carry on than some of the other carriers 7kg vs 10kg and they seem to enforce it fairly frequently via random checks.
    Snorkler

But you can get your Virgin points flying on AirNZ.
    Snorkler

Virgin are changing the baggage allowance on the 12th of May this year. It will move to a piece system as opposed to a weight based system.

It's not easy to tell the weight limits of the bags as such, though I would assume 23kg though could be up to 32kg
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    Hothski

Hothski Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

" I place the shovels and tails of he longest pair in the helmets which works well and protects the ends."

but i am afraid my helmet of $100 plus will possibly crack after i land in queenstown.

"I'm heading to the NZ club fields in Aug and hope to squeeze in the above plus my bindings with the 23 kg ."

we already bought the season pass ticket for remarkables and may spend couple of day and twilight on coronet peak. our skis are short at 170cm and 155cm, so i guess we should not have the problem of weight trying to put all the skis, bindings, and other stuff in one double ski bag.

" I would have the bases facing out on the outside pair."
    it is also what i saw in a youtube video. because it is gonna be my first time, i quite worry about the skis and particular the binding. the ski bag i bought is not top of the line with full padding. you always have to compromise between weight and padding to some extent.

"You could always cut a strip of some sort of protective materail and tape on to the bases if you were worried. Eg foam, cardboard, etc"

i will do as suggested and buy some large piece bubble wrap... i just cant remember where i read about the bubble wrap thing. also i remember i read somewhere about how to protect the skis in the ski bag. damn it, bad memory.

thank you very much, i am more confident now.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

guys, thanks a lot. i will read all your reply when i am back and make notes:D
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

the weight is not my biggest concern. one piece luggage is not a big problem. among two of us, there will be only one double ski bag and one suitcase. if the weight limit is still 23kg, i reckon i can still manage, considering the skis are short and relatively light.

my concerns are how to protect/pack the skis in the skibag and the size limit of the ski bag. the first concern has been explained by guys above very well, except i am still not convinced to use the helmet as buffer and throw them in the ski bag. in my opinion, the helmet is fragile and easily cracked.

as to the size of the ski bag, the dimensions definitely exceed the limit. any surcharge for it?

certainly, i wont put two pairs of skiboots in one boot bag. i will put my friend's ski boots in the suitcase. i will carry mine on the plane.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

7kg is really a pain.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

it is the only relevant video i could find on youtube
    Jafal

Jafal New Member

We take a double ski bag with 2 pairs of skis and our daughter snowboard... put the first pair of skis base down with the breaks held up with elastic band. Second pair go on base up so the binding interlock (again breaks pulled up).. then a towel over the top of the skis snowboard on top with no bindings.

Then we either pack snowbboard bindings or snowboard boots or helmets in between the tip/tail at each end of the bag ... we get it right on 23kg... the standard maximum weight.

clothing of course is another one to pack in there. We have never taken boots as carry on, but stuff then full of socks etc in our bags and pack. It does help with the extra baggage allowance we get with QF and Gold and Platinum FF members, but also did this on Air Canada with no problem, just as long as they know a head of time you are flying with skis
    Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

Have also travelled with a double roller bag for every trip OS. Sometimes one pair of skis, sometimes two, with poles.

Mine's long enough to fit one set of boots in - one at each end of the bag (second set of boots in hand luggage or other checked bag).

The tip or tail of my skis can just fit into the top of a boot. Bases together and bindings locked together. Position the skis just slightly offset to the other set so the heel binding of one set of skis goes into the space between toe and heel binding of the other set of skis.

Soft clothes go into empty spaces. Ditto tuning tools if you take them. On some trips I also throw in a portable boot dryer.

One pair of skis <23kg. Two pairs takes it up to 28-29kg. Still under max. weight - but you'll have to either pool weight allowance across 2 people, or have extra allowance from status.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

in the long weekend, i packed up the skis bag with two pairs of skis, 2 sets of poles, two thick and relatively cheap columbia jackets and 2 cheap ski pants plus 4 pairs of gloves and ski socks. totally it weighs 19kg. it seems quite solid and should hold the abuse of air transport.

guys, you sure you can take the ski boots as carry on? the security guys dont think the boots can be used to kill or injure people?
    TropicalPow

TropicalPow Dedicated Member

Yes mate, I have always carried them on as hand baggage, never advertised the fact to the airline staff [ sure they know ] and no dramas .

Sure that will be everyones experience ?
    Little Tiger

Little Tiger Addicted Member

Some UK airports were not letting boots through as carry on due to security issues... (don't tell me I offered to wear mine and they let me on)...

Flying Virgin LA- Melb just recently they were babbling about 7kg limits and did weigh the bag...
    Libelle

Libelle Active Member

I took mine to Japan (Cathay)this year in a carry on backpack, just dumped them in the OH locker as soon as we boarded, no issues, but as TP says, I didn’t advertise the fact. Also had a small 'manbag' with Ipad, paperwork etc. Never an eyebrow was raised.
    Little Tiger

Little Tiger Addicted Member

Oh re the helmets - many ski helmets are one hit only helmets... so I stopped carrying a helmet in checked baggage... I'd strap it carry on
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

yes, it is what i will do. i dont understand how some guys can pack the helmet in the ski bag.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    TropicalPow

I pack my helmet in the checked suitcase, just wrap it up in jumpers etc and doesn't take up much space at all.
    alwaysec

alwaysec Active Member

so did we last year. two variant brim helmets fit in a carry on suit case with some light stuff.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    ladycamper

ladycamper Active Member

Use a duffel for carry-on they weigh about half a kilo whereas a rollerboard is 2-3kg. Put soft items in the checked baggage using a duffel if you need extra margin for error with excess baggage. If it gets too complicated, Emirates do 30kg baggage on economy, fares are All-in and they to SYD-CHC daily direct.
    KTI

KTI New Member

watch the total weigh !!!

If it's over 32kgs most airlines will tell you to reduce it.

It's it's over 23kgs most airlines will charge you extra.

learn to pack light.
    Jafal

Jafal New Member

Could swear that this time last year we had exctly the same topic on this board.

Anyway, we travel with a double ski bag and 2 suitcases, for 2 adults and 1 14yo. We fit both pairs of skis, binding to binding with a tie to hold them in place, plus 1 (or 2) snowboards .. this all gets strapped together so no shifting. Also put in the bag one helmet and snowboard boots.... whatever takes us to 23kg.

Then the suitcases have the rest of the gear spread between the two bags, so we have skiboots, board bindings, other helmets and clothes .. all under the weight limits, then only have light backpacks to carry on..... done too much travelling carry too much weight around with me getting on and off planes.

Also invest in one of the travel scales to weigh your luggage (Kathmandu is where we got ours) .. this makes sure you weight things prior to getting to the check-in counter.

Maybe not the most efficient / lightest way to travel, but we have everythign we need including the bottle of bundy down a ski boot.
    travelislife

travelislife Active Member

Last year I did a 5 day trip to Mt Hutt from Melbourne. Flew out AirNZ Tuesday night after work to Christchurch, back on Jetstar on the Monday morning for work. I had the following luggage:

1 x ski bag with ski's and jackets, pants and most clothing etc.
    1 x carry on bag with ski boots and a few bits and pieces of clothing

Departing Melbourne on AirNZ ski bag was checked in fine as my primary bag at 18kg. They then asked to weigh my carry on bag which came in at 9kg, no go. So I took out all of the clothing and put it in a plastic bag (which I had conveniently brought with me) and had just my boots in the bag, it weighed in at 7kg and the lady said that was fine, but that I would have to carry the 2 bags separately. I walked around the corner and put it all back in the main bag with my boots and went on my merry way, no issues at all getting on the plane.

Departing Christchurch on Jetstar I had no issues at all as they allow 10kg in carry on.

No questions asked at all about having boots in carry on and was all fine.

Also by stuffing clothing in your ski bag (I first wrap the ski's in newspaper to stop the edges cutting anything) it protects the ski's by putting a cushioning around the skis.
    WIZO

WIZO New Member

We carry 2 ski bags for 2 (him and hers) We use octopus straps to hold one bag on top of the other from the carpark to the checkin. +1 uses a trolley for suitcases and bootags and laptops.

Or we use use the straps in the trolley. Suitcases are piled in, then the bags are 'stood up' on the trolley's lip. The straps stop them falling over. [​IMG]

We also do this because I think the rules say 1 pair of skis per bag, and I'm not letting a nazi ruin the holiday.
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

I've never had an airline check how many pairs of skis in a bag, I've had three pairs quite a few times with no issue.
    WIZO

WIZO New Member

I think Skidown was caught. but Amex took the excess baggage fee out of Qantas' overweight moneybags [​IMG]
    TropicalPow

I'm flying Air New Zealand to Canada this time and they charge 1/2 the normal excess baggage fee for ski gear so as I am doing a 3 month trip I'll load my 2 pairs of skis and ski clothes into the double skibag up to the 23kg and then have my suitcase free for the 23kg limit.

I will be driving from Vancouver to Kamloops via Whistler and maybe Red or somewhere , with the gear, so won't have to worry about the Air Canada Jazz flight from Van.

Any tripping around Canada after that will be light wieght trips with the balance of my gear safetly stored at Sun Peaks.
    sfo

sfo Active Member

I was inspected, by men wearing rubber gloves.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Moon river...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    jgm

jgm Active Member

I've been travelling with a sportube hard ski case. The length can be adjusted to suit any length skis, & you don't have to worry about damage to your skis. They also have wheels and you can get a carry handle which makes it easy to carry. Your poles fit in as well as the skis, & I also have a small bag that fits inside for gloves, goggles etc. The only drawback is the weight, but even with my old Head Titanium 195cm beasts as well as the +1's skis, we still came in under 20kg.

I've never had an issue with size, & only had it weighed twice. The agent usually just tags it & directs me to the oversize bag drop.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013