How much more Snow??

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Jasper Schwarz, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz New Member

How much more snow is needed to open most of perisher
    Disregarding Olympic and North P
    Currently snow depth is 20 cm with another 10-20 this week
    P.S How much snow are we expecting total before the 9th Of July 2017

2. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

My simple rule of thumb is if the official Spencer's Creek snow depth is 1m or more, Perisher will have nearly all of the hill open. Less than that and lots of the resort simply cannot be opened.

Even though there are quite a few super-summer-groomed areas which are skiable with 10-20cm cover, most of them (really all of them without intensive snowmaking) need a fair bit of snow available to push around to be able to cover them consistently to that seemingly-minimal depth. What I mean is the resort needs a lot more than 10-20cm to have fallen to be able to open a lot of runs which in themselves are skiable with 10-20cm of cover.

cin and skull like this.
  3. Jasper Schwarz

Ok. What is a good snow depth to hope for by then though??

4. alexd

alexd New Member

Hope for whatever you like, it won't change anything haha. You'll be able to ski, maybe even poach some places, who knows.

5. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

As above, hope us a good thing to have...

Playing hypothetical though, let's say they get an additional 20cm top-to-bottom of the resort and no r**n and normal snowmaking conditions over the next 2 weeks - premised on pretty-much nothing until next weekend, then 10-20cm then and maybe a bit of follow-up (see the weather forum for much more informed guesses on upcoming snowfalls than mine):

Anyway, I reckon that will end up with (additional tomwhat is already open today)...

* J-bar land and magic carpets in Smiggins and maybe the triple chair there
    * Centre Valley T-bars.
    * Happy Valley T and _maybe_ Leichhardt (by force of will by the resort and pushing a lot of snowmaking snow down it).
    * Maybe Pretty Valley double chair - would be sketchy but good soaking up people in school holidays so te resort will try hard
    * Towers on Mt P with double and triple chair serving it.
    * Beginners double chair and Zali's on the Summit Chair and maybe Roller Coaster at Blue Cow.

A bit more snow than that and they can get a bit more open. A bit less new snow, unhelpful conditions for snowmaking or some r**n and it'll be roughly the same as it is right now.

IAB, cin, fmdc9 and 1 other person like this.
  6. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

Great post ted

cin likes this.
  7. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Another 10-20cm this week is a bit overly enthusiastic IMO.
    But hope I am wrong!

2 nights of 5-10cm with cold temps every other night will make a huge difference however. It's probably enough to get them firing up the guns on towers and quite a few other decent long blue runs that will make a huge difference to the crowds due to hit over the holidays

8. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy Dedicated Member

I might be seeing something for early July , around 3rd to 6th. It might be something , might not , its a long way off but its got my interest at this point.

9. Jasper Schwarz

Yeah
    That's what the BOM and Snow watch are saying so fingers crossed