Hotham / DP brickbats and bouquets

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Ziggy, Aug 13, 2015.

Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member Season Pass Silver

Bouquets ...
    * Friendly lifties
    * Efficient lift-loading system
    * Good XC trail grooming

Brickbats
    * The Drift is too quick to be closed in marginal weather
    * The shelter at DP poma: the toilet needs attention and the grump at the kiosk needs a lesson in customer service
    * The DP bus doesn't offer a one-way fare

:thumbs: currawong likes this.
    currawong

currawong Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

My perpetual brickbat for hotham is the lack of day parking at/near hotham central

:thumbs: BilbyBill likes this.
    Hermannator

Hermannator Active Member

Could be a real can of worms you're opening here. Nobody mention the road management...

Bouquets:

* Hotham masterclass lessons

Brickbats:

* Playground
    - I suspect often closed for commercial reasons (i.e. lift co trying to save operating cost with no valid reason)
    - Not open to bottom station
    - Unload at top wrong side for skiing into Zirky's (would stuff up mid-stn though)
    * No toilets at bottom of HV (whilst they are at the top surely they should be near the food/drink, one has lunch and has to queue for HV just to go to dunny)
    * Gate entry - too high, too inflexible and in short, a crock of sh*t, especially for multi-day. They could halve the frequency of road clearing with no material impact on people.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Bouquets:

Club lodges welcoming of guests.
    Food businesses who like to look after the customer: Mountain Kitchen, Zirkys.
    DP Day Visitor Shelter.
    Cross country grooming.
    Staff at Hoys Jack Frost and Dinner Plain.

Brickbats:

Hotham day shelter is a bit tired and dated.
    Grooming a bit neglected from around JB Plain to Dinner Plain even with suitable depth for grooming.

Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Since when?

cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Big :thumbs: to Zirkys bar this year now that Zirkys are back in charge. Place has been restored to it's former self. No doof doof music and staff who were only there for themselves. Total turn around. Well done Zirkys!

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Good: fantastic skiing last week with fresh dry snow most days and Blue Ribbon opening.
    Generally very friendly staff at Big D and Hotham Central and exceptional service at Chill Bar and Swindlers!

Bad: half day ticket prices have risen to $100 vs $115/125 for a full day - ouch!

FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

Hermannator your resort entry does not pay for the clearing of the Great Alpine Road in any way, this is kindly paid for the Victorian taxpayers

Also the resort entry day pass is almost exactly the same as falls, although the Hotham season pass is much higher

Ziggy

If peeps reckon resort entry is too high, what would they drop by way of services?

FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

exactly Ziggy

FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Well-Known Member

Bouquets:
    Quality of on mountain food offering appears to be better this year than in previous years. Cafe Niche doing hot potatoes with the works for ~$12.50 and steak swich for $16 and the food at The Bird has been good. Even the lunch time option at the new Yama kitchen seemed pretty reasonable ($28 for a couple of courses).

Brickbats: really needs to be more indoor seating space for those that are self catering. It's pretty limited.

bdenny4

bdenny4 Dedicated Member

Yes, but when we went in for lunch last week could barely sit there as it was FAR too hot inside.
    All of us thought it was bordering on unbearable.
    Made a mention of it to the staff - hopefully they did something about it.

Had the burger - was good

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.
    gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Same as nearly every establishment in every resort. Hot enough for staff to work comfortably in Tshirts without regard to how the punters are dressed. One of my pet hates.

:thumbs: Towie97 likes this.
    Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I think that the main thing that people want is an accountability for spend. Unfortunately at Falls last year the previous CEO fired his entire Financial team as an efficiency initiative 6 weeks before year end and now 10 months after financial year end they still have not published their accounts for 2014. We don't even know how they are spending the resort entry money but you would have to be suspicious.

Ziggy

Yes.
    Hotham goes to lengths to let folk know what the entry fee goes on.

Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Falls tells you where it is supposedly spent, they just haven't published within reasonable time frames the document that details where it was spent...

Hermannator

Hermannator Active Member

Except it's vague (suggestions to deliver savings):
    Hotham ski patrol Thought they were volunteers?
    Village snow clearing If GAR is not included here then what? carparks?
    Free village transport OK with this - maybe cut frequency at quieter times
    Traffic and car parking services Should be delivering savings with the number plate recognition. Cut parking inspectors
    Cross country trail grooming OK
    Waste management OK
    Environmental management OK
    And a variety of services provided by the Resort Management Board. Aren't these covered by rates, charges levied to lodges etc?

FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

Hermannator not all patrollers are vollies, most are paid.
    Yes only snow clearing of resort car parks are covered by entry charges
    Village transport - frequency is cut during non-busy times. Although the simple fact is that guests don't want to walk 100-150m, they want a bust stop every 50m just about.
    Car parking - yes I am sure there are savings being made with the new (well 3 or so years old) entry system, which works a treat.
    There are other RMB services that are covered by resort entry eg marketing, admin, road patrol (chain bay assistance), and road management during storm/ice/congestion periods, again I think they do a good job with this.

Maybe the key stakeholder/beneficiary should contribute more towards these services....just sayin!

:thumbs: cqen2l and stansi like this.
    FatBoyDave

Hmm, I think my RMB levies are high enough thank you.

Hothski

Hothski Active Member

I have no issue with contributing to services through Resort Entry, and I understand where we are told the money is spent. My issue is the fact that Resort Entry has been increasing steadily, well above inflation rates, and well above the increases seen at other resorts. Even with the often spoken about savings and benefits from the Auto-Number Plate system we have not seen a let up from price increases.

Increases in costs are expected - however these increases should be consistent with other Resorts. I don't feel the RMB has been transparent as to the reasons why Hotham's Resort Entry has increased at such a rate. Ask for an explanation and the 'ol Resort Services, Ski Patrol, Village Transport list is trotted out. Yup I get that - but why have these same costs increased at such a high rate over the past 6-8 years?

I haven't even started on the levy increases that the Lodges have seen over the same period. Again, well above the inflation rate. Time will tell, but hope is in the air with the new CEO. It will be interesting to see what happens next year.

:thumbs: Azz and ladycamper like this.
    snowtyres

snowtyres Active Member Season Pass Gold

Hothski

Hothski Active Member

According to the link, Gate revenue up 14% in 2014 - and we still saw another increase for the 2015 season. But budgets and reports are not my thing - more of an observation from a regular Hotham user.

I've just looked up the other resorts and it seems my annoyance isn't as justified as I thought. Ahh well
    It still annoys me that the seasons pass for the car is still more for Hotham.

Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

What happened at the DP Poma shelter? Was it this year, @Ziggy ?

Ziggy

Yar.
    Bought dumplings from the kiosk inside the shelter there, open container, sauce over. When finished looked for a bin, wasn't one. Couldn't stuff the wet-inside tub in my pocket so left it in the shelter. This dude follows me out & berates me for not using the bin. What bin? One of the ones outside here. Er, why not have one inside, I would've used it? Cos people put all sorts of sh#t in it.
    !!

cookieman

cookieman Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

The DP shelter is quite good and very handy to parents just watching their kids ski and for kids having a break.
    Yes more rubbish bins needed.
    Nice to have kiosk going with coffee and excellent cookies, however food offering needs improvements.
    Overall i would think having a shelter/kiosk only 5 metres from your child's ski area is as good it gets in Australia so a big red rose bouquet from me.

Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

Interesting. When I was there earlier in the season, there was a bin right near the door and one outside near the outside serving window.

Ziggy

Sounds right, and the inside one's been removed cos folk were putting rubbish in it.

Cuppa

Cuppa Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Who paid for the piping of the Swindlers over summer? Would the RMB just on charge it to Ski tows as part of the lease?

Seth

Seth Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Don't think that would be paid for by the ski Co.

stansi

stansi Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Be ****ed!!!! The Victorian taxpayers contributed over $70.000.000 dollars for that.

The backfill came from "the lowering of Whitey's carpark", which increased the parking capacity by approx. 50%.
    Edit:- I do like the more even gradient from Snake Gully Hut to the Village load.

(Edit, Edit, The Village chair is know called "the Audi quattro")

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Rush

Rush Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Bouquets - the extreme area. The best in-bounds skiing in Australia?
    Lunch at the Geni.
    Brickbats - over $100 for a half-day ticket. Puhleeze.

:thumbs: Snow Dog likes this.
    Seth

Seth Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

shame about the multiple chairlift rides to get back to the top.

:thumbs: The Plowking likes this.
    Rush

The plus side about two lifts and the awful ski-out means that you can always find fresh tracks.

But you can get to Gotcha without taking the Gotcha Lift.

Ziggy

ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Good. Enough of public money goes into dubious expenses like funding the Grand Prix, major stadium upgrades, etc. Time some of it came out way, ours is a participation sport and environmental issues need proper management.

:thumbs: Snow Dog likes this.
    Ziggy

My impression is that the Mt Loch carpark is taking some of the overflow. And some skiers are walking down the road to H Central - not ideal as the road is narrow enough there and vis often poor.

FatBoyDave

They really need to run the bus to loch car park when this happens. It's not hard to do.

:thumbs: Pink and ladycamper like this.
    Ziggy

It'd take half or more of the park to turn around.
    And the entry is on the bend.

Rimey

Rimey Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Agreed. It'd fork the Loch car park.

Rimey

Rimey Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Brickbat: Have a season resort entry pass, but RMB won't assign it to another vehicle (registered to me) while mine is off the road. I took my old Sube up there today, paid for resort entry on their iPad, however stuffed up the rego. They happily corrected it for me on their database. If they can do this on a transaction level, I fail to see why they don't provide for this contingency for the permit. I mean I'm happy to supply proof of circumstance; rego, repairer blah, etc.

Pink

Pink Active Member

Brickbat: Village Chair renamed Audi Quattro. FFS!
    Bouquets: Meals at the Genny (though they used to be better). Billy Barker now doing the official snow reports. DJ Eddie doing PR for ski tows. The dude abides.

cookieman

cookieman Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

you just have to argue hard and show proof.i have been able to transfer but they don't make it easy.

Rush

I had lunch every day at the Genny last week.

:thumbs: Pink likes this.
    Ziggy

Falls asks for a Stat Dec.

Pink

Pink Active Member

When the current proprietors first started they had Omeo steak, Ovens trout and alpine venison on the menu. Yum, yum and yum. I miss those days.

FatBoyDave

Their burger is a big disappointment, especially when you look at what you get for the price.
    The rest of the menu is pretty good but The Snowbird has the Gennie beaten on quality and price for lunch (if you can get a seat).

Rush

Agree. Gennie burger is OK but the Fried Chicken burger is the shiz.

Best on-mountain ski lunch I had at Hotham was Laksa at The White Room many moons ago. Does it still exist? I didn't spend much time at Hotham Central this time.

:thumbs: Azz likes this.
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

The Laksa in the White Room was the best!!! Twenty dollars got you a huge bowl of delicious laksa with a glass of wine, served to you by a beautiful young lady with a smile on her face. All in nice quiet surrounds.
    That was the best value lunch I ever had at Hotham.

They used to do a take away for us if we couldn't get away from work as well.

Rush

Being able to have lunch on mountain with real cutlery and table service was always a bonus.

FatBoyDave

White Room is now Yama Kitchen. Japanese fusion style. They had a $28 set course lunch special (5 courses) which was good value.
    http://www.mthotham.com.au/docs/2015/images/Yama_Kitchen__Bar_menu.pdf
    Went there for dinner on Sunday night and got a great feed.

Kudos also to Arco bar, we went there on Saturday night and got the special for 2. $95 for a a plate consisting of: pork hock, sausages, chicken schnitzel, mash, sauerkraut. We shared it between 4 blokes and still couldn't finish it....