Guest services still manning lift queues??

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by FatBoyDave, Aug 12, 2017.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Dedicated Member

We've been up at Hotham since the 2nd August.

In the last 11 days skiing the only guest services staff I've seen anywhere on the mountain were in Hotham central or appear to be out free skiing with friends.

Our time up here has included 2 weekends and is peak season.

At Falls in late July this year I saw guest services manning the lift queues and trying to enforce punters to fill the chairs during peak periods to reduce lift queues.

In previous years (especially at Slushy gully and Village chair) guest services manned the gates in peak periods to help ensure lift queues were managed and tempers of punters kept in check.

In 11 days we've witnessed:
    Instructors left on the Road Runner lift for >20 minutes, above the road, as the towies shut down the lift but didn't do a proper check.

Village chair break down and punters directed back up the cat track to Heavenly Valley chair to ski down Mother Johnsons return in thick fog. Many of these people were beginners who have never been on this chair, seen this run, know where it goes or even where the cat track boundaries were.

Stuck on Blue Ribbon chair when it broke down for 20 minutes in the rain without any indication on what was happening.

A visibly distressed 5 year old on her own downloaded on the Village chair, it would appear the towie at the top missed her being offloaded and the towies at the bottom shocked at seeing her return.

Communication in general this year has been much worse than previous years.

To be stuck on a lift for 20+ minutes without any communication is poor customer service.

To send a 5 year old child down the lift without notifying your colleagues, well....

Has Hotham reduced the budget for customer service staff this year or do some people just need a rocket up their ass?

ladycamper likes this.
  2. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

As for towies.......you pay people peanuts, hey guess what?

ladycamper likes this.
  3. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've been a towie, granted a long time ago, I've also seasoned at Hotham and have been going there for 20 years, I reckon the lifties are fine however I concur re resourcing. This morning it was pissing with rain and punters were trying to get to the Big D as the Summit was closed, the best so took 25 minutes to arrive. Kids crying, parents angry and not a guest services person around. On Thursday most of the mountain was on wind hold and they didn't bother opening Playground double chair which was protected from the wind etc etc. If your observations are correct it's a sad indictment on the management. BTW I've never heard of someone unintentionally going around the Bull Wheel and all the way to the bottom station.

4. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

How do you expect to be communicated with when halfway up a lift and something breaks?

5. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Nerf gun

6. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The training is that someone e.g. a liftie or patroller will ski down the line and communicate to the stranded ppl that there is an issue. Pretty straight forward.

7. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I've never heard of it. I've seen it. On a short platform, once someone is around the wheel there is nowhere else to go. I've seen it a few times on the Mt P double.

8. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not always possible or practical.

ladycamper likes this.
  9. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Happened nearly every day I was top operator of the quad that goes up Grouse Mountain at Beaver Creek.

They'd wave at me as they approached to say that they weren't game to get off and ski down.

10. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

When I managed guest services at Falls we would have myself or another GS person ski/slip the line to let people know. Verbal contact and knowing they're not forgotten is very reassuring for those stuck on lift. That and being met at the top when unloading to confirm condition and give hot drink voucher were very important IMO.

hothamite, Gregah, lardarse and 3 others like this.
  11. Occasional Visitor

Occasional Visitor Active Member

I've noticed a clear deterioration in most areas of mountain operations a Hotham this year. Who knows if the Merlin mob are trying to squeeze more cash out or is it just poor management - but very evident. The queue fences are generally in quite stupid positioning (think Village chair) (or in the case of Blue Ribbon are still stored underneath top station) . Quality / attitude of towies has slipped. Grooming has slipped - little things like no cat track cut from bottom of Big Slope, Frosty Drop or 'bonus' runs like Roaring 40's. No Blue Ribbon or Spargos grooming at all today. Blue Ribbon broke down for over half an hour yesterday - whole queue told to walk out. Ski racing kept Snake Gully closed much of the midweek. Grunge music frequently playing at the bottom of the lifts. Absurd marketing comments about the road being cleared 24/7 the day before a forecast blizzard.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  12. Rover

Rover Dedicated Member

seen plenty of guest services around in the past few weeks...there were two over at blue ribbon when the chair broke down.
    On the way over to blue ribbon, I skied past HV and that had a massive queue with guest services helping fill every chair, then skied past Village with the same thing happening, I decided to pole onto blue ribbon just as it came to a halt.
    Same again on Sunday there were plenty of guest service people at HV helping people count to four.On the times I have skied with my 6 year old, the towies have been very attentive in making sure she is capable of getting onto the chair and assisting where needed.

Tanuki likes this.
  13. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I reckon they are definitely looking to squeeze cash out out.

They are finally selling off a lot of Ski Co freehold and leasehold. Would have been developed once, not just want the easy cash from a sale.

14. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Can someone tag Mt Hotham in this post?

15. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

To achieve what?

16. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Give them critical feedback? A chance to redeem themselves / fix some issues? (yes yes it probably won't do shit if they don't care, but you never know ... no point criticising if the person needing it never hears it ).

I'm happy to reach out and email them the thread.

17. FatBoyDave

I have no objections.
    I've been a Hero Pass member since it's inception and spend on average 20 days per season at Hotham. I'm invested and want to see it succeed.
    The few people that I know in guest services are lovely people.

However, this year is lowest on mountain presence of guest services I can recall.

#17 FatBoyDave, Aug 15, 2017 at 1:18 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM
  18. FatBoyDave

And while I'm at it.
    Being a bus driver of the Village bus is still a customer facing role....
    So suck it up, smile, be polite and helpful and not an ahole.

Some of the drivers are great but some of them....

19. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Fatboy I'd probably copy paste all your concerns and email their management mate (seeing as you're the one on the ground).

I tend to give companies strong (but polite as can be) criticism where due.. surprisingly most meet it well.

Usually empty platitudes of course, but a few times i've had responses from MD's and such saying thanks... that they know, and they're working on some structural issues or whatever it might be.

Of course if they just don't give a shit they'll give you empty platitudes, or some generic response.

20. Rush

Rush Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I agree.

21. Occasional Visitor

Occasional Visitor Active Member

Darb / others - yes would be useful to send this thread to MHSC / MHARMB. There are knowledgable and observant issues being raised here. OV