Future for Baw Baw

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Jellybeans1000, Sep 5, 2015.

Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member

What is the future for Mt Baw Baw? I have heard rumours of a summit chair, more platters, more terrain but I have heard no facts. Any facts? If any one knows about the plan for this mountain, I would be interested. Also anything about snowmaking at Baw Baw or opening up the summit to downhill skiing.
    Thanks everyone

Oldie

Oldie Active Member

Hi Jellybeans. I'm not sure weather you have actually visited Baw Baw since your questions don't seem to make sense. In the thirty something years I've been skiing at Baw Baw, there has always been downhill skiing on Summit, lifted by a T bar. Also, there is fairly extensive snow making and has been for quite a number of years. In fact this year, I've noticed they seem to have a number of new fan guns in addition to the existing ones scattered around the various runs.

In regard to future plans, there have been some proposals thrown about in recent years, but I don't think there is anything definite yet. :)

Jellybeans1000

Thanks Oldie for the info

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Season Pass Gold

Hmmm...... interesting. I haven't been to Baw Baw for a long, long, long time, but nothing much seems to have changed (lifts wise) apart from the removal of the double chair.

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Hi Oldie, it's good to know that there's some more guns scattered around the field. My biggest beef with Bb snowmaking is that it mostly covers just the lower sections and flat areas like bottom of the summit Tbar - yes Tank Hill is an exception! I think Bawbs might need more power to pump water higher up runs but I'm not a techie so who really can tell.

Some decent summer grooming to remove lines of rocks in the middle of some runs would do wonders for ski ability - again I'm not really sure if there's serious interest in doing this or whether it's environmental of both?

My two cents: Bawbs should get its snow reliability improved AMAP, then worry about upgraded / new lifts to cope with the 'influx' of customers. also their Mtn entry seems to have 1-2 person families in sedans and SUVs subsidising mini-van groups. at least that's how it feels.

Bottom line: I don't mind $50 per day so much for a major resort like Hotham that has a serious length of road and several car parks to plough. I'm less keen on $50 for Baw Baw when I only want to do 5-10 kms of XC (often on ungroomed trails and sharing with dog sleds and walkers without snow-shoes!)
    A great little mountain resort that really needs to think about how to manage their main product - snow!

:thumbs: ladycamper, Jellybeans1000 and weerab like this.
    Oldie

Oldie Active Member

I decided to bump this thread as it's more appropriate. In the trips/reports thread there was mention made of a government investigation about the future of Baw Baw. I went to the website and "had my say". I was under the impression that an interim decision would be announced in late September (I may be wrong on that.) Some of the options put forward were not good, especially the last one which was to effectively close the place down for skiing, removing lifts etc. So, as I've heard nothing, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard. Teckel, I know that you were on the discussion group, as LM is also under review. Have you heard anything? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks, Oldie.

Jellybeans1000

http://haveyoursay.delwp.vic.gov.au/mt-baw-baw-2030/documents/40790/download
    All the review did was produce the 'options report' I think

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.
    Serenity

Serenity Active Member

Jellybeans1000

Essentially Lake Mountain and Baw Baw RMBs are merged.

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Interesting! Currently Baw Baw has free entry for over 65's, LM is still close to $50. I can see Baw Baw starting to charge seniors. Won't matter, their best snow seems to be after the season closes! ;)

Mufts

Mufts Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Serenity

Serenity Active Member

Not much to see, usual spin for 'priorities and objectives'. Still waiting on final report from government re what 'option/s' to go ahead with and how much funding will be on the table, although the consolidation of both boards would seem to indicate business as usual, at least in the short term.

Oldie

Oldie Active Member

That may be fine for an XC-er but for an old downhill-er on a part pension, (which, indecently has been reduced as of 1/1/17) like me, it will be a bit of a blow if I have to start paying to get in again!:(

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

no I am not just an XCier, I mix it up with a bit of downhilling too. Last season at Falls, I was buying a lift ticket every other day, probably didn't get my money's worth but not to worry! BTW, I Have no pension as the wife is still working part time so they won't give me a bloody penny!

Serenity

Serenity Active Member

teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

If it prevents the self-serving/corrupt culture seen 3 yrs or so ago at Baw Baw, it's worth it.

:thumbs: Chaeron and Majikthise like this.
    chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Surely you can't be referring to nepotism or self- aggrandisement? If a review can deal with such matters, it's worth it.

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Plans and strategies are great but I'd like to see some action and some funding - especially at at Baw Baw.

Fund some some energy upgrades and the rest (upgrades to snowmaking and some lifts) might just be possible?

Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

U need to call on Brett and his side kick Geoff :perhaps a big restaurant on top of Baw Baw that rotates...the big end of town could turn this into a theme park to pull the crowds in from those northern resorts...never mind the bad press their Iconic Walk has generated....what u need is big business commercial operators ready to exploit the area and generate fast bucks:perhaps they could doze a runway for light aircraft over the back of Mt Baw Baw so the leaders of business can come by light jet planes..
    If their plans come to nothing in the West Kiewa I am sure that they could be useful down there many of us would be more than relieved should they take a business look down your way....:cool:

gpatech

gpatech Active Member

Baw Baw needs to be wotif'd. The snow is sporadic and they need to get over having a "season". If they could open at very short notice, whenever there was good snow, then it would be a real attraction and people would watch for it and jump on it. The reality now is that dumps come, usually out of season, and they turn the cameras off and hope no-one notices.

Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

It's a very pretty and easy walk from Baw Baw Village to St Gwinear Car Park and possibly along the other axis Mushroom Rocks to Mt Whitelaw over Mt St Phillack.....I would be trying to get more walkers and Mt Bikers down there to drive more wealth into the local economy in the non snow season.

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

It's ironic that the resort with lowest functionality of its snow cams (especially out of season) is Baw Baw, when along with Mt Field it's probably the most likely place for a summer snow dump.

Now where is that information manager when you need them?

Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear Active Member

Looking at the new pricing and lease structure, it wont matter close the road, Baw Baw village will be a ghost town other than expert board members on a large salary and don't forget the consultants, We have been promised and fed shit for 3 yrs now, all we get is sorry we understand your difficulties,but you must pay more. 50yrs of non profit making ends meet improving our club on a shoe string promoting our club and the mountain for future families to be able to afford the experience of snow , boarding and skiing is coming to an end..

We are reducing our beds just to cope with the constant price hikes . Sadly this is the reality, if a modest double storey house in Melbourne was charged 24k in rates per annum it would be a outrage. But here we are another year no lease still pending 2 yrs now , just keep paying oh but if you inject 500k its guaranteed . Lease will be approved they say ???
    Sorry rant over , I say this with a very heavy heart and proud of what all private clubs and their members have achieved on the mountain. We have always loved Baw Baw and it history and community spirit. Hopefully we can continue our heritage and make it accessible for our families and guests to experience Baw Baw for another 50 yrs to come. Thank You in advance