Comments Friday Flat Cam

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by benchives, Jul 5, 2014.

1. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

http://ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/nsw/thredbo/thredbo3.html

The beginners area and also load point for the chair to high noon/Merritt's traverse, Friday flat is at thredbo's lowest point. As a result the area is rigorously maintained with man made snow as natural falls this low are fairly rare. Sometimes this cam tells the most honest story of Australian snow, being all grass and mud.

In the early days it was said the area around Friday flat was slated for a runway.

I love the.donut shop here. Nothing quite like hot cinnamon donuts after a days skiing. The area also holds one of the few true ski in and out hotels in thredbo, which in good weather holds live bands outdoors which can add a festive cheer.

Overall a great place to have your first skiing experience, if the conditions allow.

2. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

Friday Flat was where I was hooked to snowsports.

Thredbo is my home resort and Friday Flat is my bedroom.

3. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

gunbarrel load point for antons/sponars/high noon.
    childhood activities prevail inbound.
    beginners always should start at V8 Perisher.

4. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

V8 too crowded and mixed of experienced, new and never-before riders. I find it scary as a new rider. Same goes for Bourk St at Buller. That one is the craziest, I think.

LMB likes this.
  5. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

Oh and when I say never-before riders, many of these are day trippers who just jump on ski or board and slide down without a clue because they don't want to pay for lesson.

6. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

On the other hand, the "expert riders" don't wanna be caught riding Fridat Flat!!!

7. 73RNR

73RNR Dedicated Member
    30 Day Pass

8. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I enjoy Friday Flat if accompanying newbies. So easy to do quick laps

9. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Friday Flat is not for you to do quick laps Gareth! You'll spook the beginners. If you're on it you need to be going at the speed of your beginner buddies.

Even Merritts on QBW was a bit whack with such a diversity of abilities in such a small space. Most really good skiers/boarders were adjusting to conditions (including the people), but there were quite a few who thought fast meant skilled - ummm, nope, that's why you just crashed into that little kid.

10. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

To be honest its not the quick laps thats important.

Its the closeness to the coffee and donuts LOL

LMB likes this.
  11. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

I personally think FF little Donut sucks. Ones at PS Tube station and Buller's under-staircase are much better.

12. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Perisher Mini Orbits for the win. Nothing like trying to do the dash for doughnuts from the blue cow train and trying to make the next bullocks flat train.

Ted Harper and Dos like this.
  13. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

though a bit far to walk from FF

tele-whippet likes this.
  14. Scoober

Scoober Active Member

Agree @LMB, My family was down at the start of the week and found a big mix of starters, good and very good skiers/ snowboarders. My second youngest who's 7 but his 4th year skiing got hit once by a beginner snowboarder on walkabout, not fast and something that does happen, it knocked his nerves a little. Later that day just through the narrow funnel at the top of walkabout he this time had to endure a pack (4) of idiotic snowboarders who thought they were the absolute best smash through there at very high speed only for one to have nowhere to go hurtling straight at my boy. The guy virtually threw himself down to miss my son by millimetres. I gave the guy an absolute serve, if he had hit him I may have done more. I just couldn't believe these idiots would be so oblivious to their surrounds. I have absolute respect for everyone on the mountain and we should be all there to look out for each other whether it be avoidance, helping people that have fallen or lost a ski but there are just some that are down right selfish and self absorbed to give a shit about anyone else on the mountain, specially young guys when they're in a group.

Rant over :mad:

15. melty68

melty68 Dedicated Member

In earlier days I'm talking 1981 or something you could ski from Lovers leap from middle station along the ridge down a track to the bridge where the river inn is now and just walk home over to our place next to the house of ullr if there was enough snow..awesome days.

#15 melty68, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  16. Dos

Dos Dedicated Member

That's very true.