Question First time buyer of Ski's + boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by the133448, May 12, 2017.

1. the133448

the133448 Active Member

Hello,

I will be instructing in perisher for 4 weeks this year and need to purchase Ski's + Boots. Im used to hiring performance ski's and boots whenever I ski, so this is different.

First up, how much should I pay for both, what price should I be looking for? Ive been fitted in some boots in brisbane for $400, but is that too expensieve?

Now on too ski's. Ive had a look online and either I can get cheap ski's from +10 seasons ago or I can bou ones new for $800 which is far too expensive for me.

Ive found these in my size for $100 near me
    http://i.imgur.com/tHtSPtB.png (Vokl)
    http://i.imgur.com/xJ8WhLb.png (Salmon 1080)

Obviously these skis seem to be really old but are they worth it, would I be able to ski comfortably on them?

Other people have told me, I should be able to pick up some good skis in Jindabyne from ex rentals and ex demos. Ill be down on June 20th, so will there be any thing left by then which is good? What prices would I be looking for at skis like this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Well-Known Member

Right...
    If you are instructing, expect to be standing around a lot and not skiing.
    Especially for your first year. Actually expect a lot of turning up and not getting a job that morning and then free skiing...

If you are an APSI member, (if you are serious about instructing you should be), you can get some good deals on some brands of skis.
    Ski schools should request that you perform lessons on skis that you can do a good demo on and represent what your clients will be skiing on. Hence "most" instructors will have a teaching pair and probably a free skiing pair.

$400 for new boots fully fitted, including footbeds and custom fit if required is VERY cheap.
    Anything up to $1k for boots fitted is not uncommon.

The only other thing I would add, is If these are your only pair you are going to be wearing all season, make sure they are comfortable.

As for skis. If these are the ones you'll be instructing on, I would check with the ski school first that they are suitable.
    If it's your free pair, buy whatever you want, however, seriously those Volkls look to be over 20 years old.

I would try some of the rental shops on the hill and you'll be able to pick up a pair 2-3 years old for maybe a little more coin (~$200-$300) but will be way better for you, IMO.

3. Hemsley

Hemsley Well-Known Member

I paid $750 for my last boots/ fitting about 6 years ago

4. the133448

the133448 Active Member

Is that on perisher, like the shop next to the hire shop? Or in Jindabyne?

5. FatBoyDave

Just about any ski hire shop sells ex hire/demo skis.
    I'm not familiar with Perisher. I can only talk to Hotham, Falls, Harrietville, Bright.
    Just ask at the hire shop if they have any ex demo (or hire) skis they are selling in your size.
    Most shops turn their skis over every 2 years.

You should be able to pick up a used pair that are not that old. They might have some superficial damage but generally come well looked after. So while they might have a few scratches on top, the bases and edges have been well maintained.

As an example, a rental shop at Hotham had 5-6 pairs of Rossignol Experience 84's in the $200-300 range, a few pairs of Experience 88's (I can't remember the price) and some Kenja's for $350 (We were looking for my girlfriend).

Experience 84's would be a good teaching ski but... check with the ski school.

6. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

7. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Rhythm will have a new shop in Perisher this year. I would suggest you get a hold of them for an ex demo pair or similar. Better to drop into their Cooma store though for variety.

8. chicski

chicski Active Member

Perisher staff get discounts in the shops up there. Plus a lot of the Jindy shops will give a discount for staff. Go for comfy boots as one other said, you'll spend a lot of time standing around, walking, running after kids etc. If you can mange to get to Jindy earlier, there's a big secondhand sale held on the long weekend. I'd always buy new boots and get them properly fitted. They'll be tax deductible now anyway!

9. the133448

the133448 Active Member

When are they opening do you know?

Do you know what sort of discount it will be?

10. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Rhythm are open 12 months a year in Cooma. Not sure of the opening date in Perisher.

11. SMSkier

SMSkier Active Member

Looking for cheap boots would be fine IF they were properly fitted!! Otherwise your going to be in a world of pain working in them each day. I just had a pair of boots fitted with custom footbeds and despite the expense, IMO well worth it. If you have the budget, Google Andy Burford, the boot fitter. He's about the best in the country and based at Wild Brumby on the Alpine Way. He fits for everyone from once a year recreational skiers up to skiers at Olympic level.

With respect to skis, it's a matter of personal choice. You can find skis on sale just about anywhere. Like others have said, Rhythm, many of the shops in Jindy etc. There is also the folks at Crackenback. They should be open around the June long weekend. I brought a pair of Kastle Fx 95's there last year. They were Demos from their shop in Japan. Unmarked and half price!!

Enjoy the hunt!

EDIT. Should have said it's Harros at Crackenback. ....

12. chicski

chicski Active Member

I can't remember but it used to be fairly decent at Perisher.

Highly recommend Sam at gravity in the town centre for boots as well. Best to buy locally so that you can get them tweaked when you need.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  13. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

last couple of seasons I've seen Richard (?) Mould, ex Eiger ski shop, doing fittings at Larry Adler in Jindy
    he seems very thorough

14. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

my current pair were on special in 2014 at Inski - about $600

15. the133448

the133448 Active Member

How much do you reckon it would cost for a decent budget pair of ski's?

16. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

craighelo likes this.
  17. craighelo

craighelo Active Member

18. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

19. FatBoyDave

Double check they ship to Australia. For some brands they won't/can't. Once you add the cost of shipping if you have to use a US freight forwarder (if they don't ship to Oz) you might find cheaper locally.

20. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

The Dai La Lama blessed my new "tecnica mach1 120" last year...............................happy

21. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

22. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

oh didnt realise that.

23. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Frustratingly a lot of the items on L9 have restricted exporting issues

the133448 likes this.
  24. the133448

the133448 Active Member

How much do you think I would find for a pair of ex demo's in Jindabyne?

25. fenrir

fenrir Active Member

I can't speak for the price now but for the last couple of years I've gone in late July and you can everything from older models for $200 to recent model in the $450-$600 range.
    As far as the boots go $400 is extremely cheap if they are decent quality - I'm assuming you will know if this is the case given you mentioned hiring performance equipment previously. If the boots don't look that flash as others have said it may be worth looking for something with a fancy liner (eg intuition liners) if its only a little more.

26. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey Active Member

I picked up a pair of Elan Explores for $299 in jindy over summer.