Question First ski/snowboard trip equipment advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jasbar, Jul 14, 2017.

1. jasbar

jasbar Just Registered

So we are booked in to furano for 10 days in january and my wife wants to try skiing while I will be snow boarding.

I snow boarded for the first time in perisher this season and the small toe next to the pinkie toe was crushed from the uncomfortable snowboard boots I rented (left foot, so also front foot). I only had a total of 10 hours on the board, 5 hours on each day (could only falling leaf down front valley) but that was enough time to make the toe numb, and it's still numb today weeks later.

So I am determined to buy fitted snowboard boots before I go and given the rental cost of a board for 10 days I am thinking I should also probably buy a cheap beginner board?

With regards to my wife, she will be doing lessons and we are planning on renting everything, but I am now worried that if my wife tries skiing for the first time and gets crappy fitted rental boots she will have a bad time. It doesn't look like furano would be a great place to buy if we happened to find out the rentals were crappy too. On the flipside we won't likely be visiting the snow every year so it's a big investment for a 10 day period on the off chance the rental boots suck.

Is it common for rental boots to be uncomfortable? Was I just unlucky? (I do have swelling issues in my left leg/foot due to past blood clot in that leg).

Am I overthinking it all and none of it matters for beginners anyway :p

2. CanadianOnTheRocks

CanadianOnTheRocks Just Registered

Good boots make all the difference, especially skiing. If money is no object buy good boots and book an appointment with a bootfitter for a custom fit.

Otherwise don't buy cheap beginner - splurge for the 'performance' rental package and don't leave the shop until you are happy with the fit. This means your ankle feels locked in and you can't lift your heels but no part of your foot feels crushed.

3. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Rental ski boots can suck more than snowboard boots.

But if you're not going often you're better off renting. Hire from a shop that is very accessible to the slopes so if there is any pain just go swap the boots for another pair.

A few rules though: almost no ankle movement when done up. Can be loose around the toes. Don't put anything inside the boot apart from the sock. The straps around the calf should be comfortable but not tight.

4. Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I can't offer any advice on ski boots but from my own experience with snowboard boots is if you can't wiggle your toes then the boot is too small. This happened the first time I boarded and my feet were killing me by the end of the day. Went up one size, problem fixed. I don't know if this is common rule of thumb but it works for me.

5. jasbar

jasbar Just Registered

Thanks for the advice. We'll take a punt on the rental for her and I'll buy mine I think.

6. railuke

railuke Just Registered

Another +1 on investing on a good set of boots. Makes skiing more enjoyable and comfortable.

7. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

jasbar and skichanger like this.
  8. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

^ this. Go see Harro if you can. He is a good guy and will take care of you.

jasbar likes this.
  9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

Good comfortable boots are everything.
    If you think you will continue buy from a good boot fitter.