‘Falls to Hotham Alpine Crossing’ upgrade

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Cam Walker, Dec 3, 2013.

mr

mr Part of the Furniture Season Pass Silver

Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

Bears have been around bottom end of Diamintina Spur/Horse Yards and Blairs...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    we have met a lot of folk over 20+ in last couple of weeks and have been amazed that those doing some of this proposed tourist route are unaware of developments ahead.....we have warned all we see to be find out the situation with this development...we have sent many folk down to Horse Yards and told them it is a must see area...we have urged them to reflect on proposals and told them to protest and submit questions to Parks Vic about this proposal.....we have warned them of privatization and possible hut construction and restrictions to trail and campsites....all of the folk were carrying packs and setting up tents for their stays.....
    we have suggested that they are considering placing private lodges around Horseyards/Blairs and Upper end of Diamintina...

its amazing the nos we have seen doing this part of the route recently...and that they are unaware of developments ahead...
    we have asked then to reflect on their journey relatively to what may happen in future.........:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I spoke to a mature couple at bottom of Bon accord last week. They had walked up Bungalow across the Razorback and down Bon Accord. They looked like experienced walkers, the guy was also a skier but they had never heard of the proposal. Can you believe they want to spend 3 mill on Blair's hut, that would build a hotel! (no, not the couple! )

Have also heard that if this goes ahead, a party is interested in running heli skiing trips to the helipad then skiing onto to Feathertop.

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.
    BillyKidd

BillyKidd Well-Known Member

Not anti-development by a long shot but the costings, the de-wilding of places, the "making it too easy" to access (you appreciate the wild and less tamed places more if it takes some effort and risk to get there), the dumb assumptions and the arrogance of the planners who figure they can do what they want and push people out who can't afford the gentrified access just flat out means we need to stop this. There is reasonable development and unreasonable. This is in the latter category. And you can just see a bunch of quick buck hipster shitheads getting concessions from the government and screwing it completely. :eek:

Good work Steve by the way. :D

Ubiquitous Steve

what is the time table for the development...is it going to proceed regardless of submissions/protests etc..

I think money is being squandered on this whole project...

i accompanied a young lady down to Blairs recently and her fellow walkers were to meet up with her at Blairs...comming from Diamintina Horse Yards...well of course the little track (the most direct route to Blairs) is un sign posted making it confusing for first timers...so i showed her the track from the top of the first hill...

Parks Vic should concentrate on putting a few signs in places for negligible cost.....

of course the whole party could see Blairs from the roadway above and they were reunited shortly...

but spending all this money on private studies for a crazy project is insulting to Vic Tax Payers....
    Bears also refastened the Major Sign at Management Gate that had fallen down with their cordless drill and a bit of corrective surgery..we also spent 15mins cleaning sign at bottom of Diamintina Spur (advising of gear necessary and dangers above tree line) with our hand cleaner and a few paper towels....

we cannot get our heads around all this money being squandered while basic stuff gets neglected.....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

BillyKidd

Inappropriate allocation of budget capital...the downfall of any government department and bureaucracy. Diagnostic of failed leadership/management. ...and it comes from the top. It won't get better. Best to sack the leadership and clean it out.

weerab

Not directly related to the topic, but I noticed a proliferation of large square timber posts in the ground near the Bon Accord and elsewhere in Harrietville. They are the same as the one at the start of the Razorback but are yet to have signage attached. Maybe they are preparing the feeder tracks to the Falls Hotham crossing.

:thumbs: Ubiquitous Steve and ladycamper like this.
    mr

mr Part of the Furniture Season Pass Silver

Er, they sacked the new head of PV 3 months ago. So now thats done, what do you think we should do now?

:thumbs: Hully likes this.
    weerab

Inappropriate behaviour was'nt it, wonder what that was?

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Being seen in the wilderness after washing.

We don't want people like that in our wilderness.

weerab

Steve,

Do you take Simmonds Creek road in Mt Beauty to get to Blairs hut and bottom of Diamantina. would a Forester be OK for this. sorry for dumb questions but I seem to have trouble getting my head around all these tracks.

speaking to my BIL about work you had done at Mulhauser and he was very impressed. He gave me a bit of a history lesson on Mulhauser very interesting stuff, not too good at mining but pretty good at raising a family!

BillyKidd

Keep cleaning! Job's not done yet.

Ubiquitous Steve

The D6 has cleared Dungeys track to the West Kiewa and then has done all tracks there is basically only one i suppose out to Blairs....so the route is good form either Big Hill and then West Kiewa logging rd..or from Simmons Ck/Pyramid Hill and then Dungeys Track...the spilt in the West Kiewa Logging Rd is the only main navigational issue for the traveller....go via the Vehicle Route(High Track) cos it is in excellent condition smooth surface/////
    walk thro the Stock route 1km and check out the fords but with low clearance vehicle i would keep to the high route....

Remember the excavators are back working out there so you may not be able to go past the new temporary gate...
    consult Parks Vic Office in Mt Beauty/Bright to find out about the road closures and the time of there reopening.....

so all routes are good just watch out for the odd stray boulder here and there....but the road/track is suitable for 2wd at moment(down pour of rain could make it a bit slippery though...)

Dungeys Track is the shortest way in from Mt Beauty and river crossing is pretty easy even in 2wd...:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BillyKidd

Steve, can you recommend a decent (ie: clear) map showing the trails / tracks / roads etc?

:thumbs: weerab likes this.
    neilmny

neilmny Active Member

Spatial Vision (SV Maps) - Bogong Alpine Area, Outdoor Recreation Guide

BillyKidd

Ubiquitous Steve

Dungeys Track best way in cos its shortest(and has been dozed)

little track to campsite(Big Logs) and its gentler variant to West Kiewa Logging Rd at temporary gate...
    or the steep direct route(slippery when wet///difficult)route up to West Kiewa LRd....

major bifurcation ....either stock route thro to moderately difficult fords( but very direct//short) or the longer Vehicle route uphill across contour and back down again....again both route well dozed and prepared at moment..

Track some 400 meters to Horse Yards(Diamantina) from permanently closed magt. gate preventing access further towards Blairs some 1km away over hill..

this sumarizes most of route....its pretty tame at moment after dozer D6 work ...
    subject to current closer at tempory gate as Excavators complete their work...so need to contact DSE to find out details before driving out there...:p:p:p:p

Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Well-Known Member

I am typing up my submission now. I guess it will weigh in at 10, 000 'I am not a happy chappy' words.

Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Well-Known Member

I think the ROOFTOPS map of Bright to Dartmouth is more informative than the SV map is.

:thumbs: BillyKidd likes this.
    neilmny

neilmny Active Member

In what way Mr. T? I haven't seen that one.