1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

Epic Misinformation

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Telemark Phat, Jun 6, 2013.

Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Addicted Member

Who's fault is this? ABC of Falls Marketing?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    tele-whippet

tele-whippet Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Wow, need to get to FC ASAP!!
    Unbelievable, who'd have thought it possible.
    Pictures surely don't lie.
    Epic BS.
    scalymanfish

scalymanfish Dedicated Member

Pretty funny!
    Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Well-Known Member

Pretty standard advertising by Falls Creek. In mid-late September 2011 they were posting pictures on Facebook from that massive 1m(ish) dump they had in late August 2010... When there was a patch about 3 foot wide on Wombats to get down.

We had to deal with so many people coming in to our venue asking where "all the snow they saw on Facebook" was.... They really need to reassess their marketing techniques if it is something released from FC (though ABC is probably using pictures from the stock media files).. Because all it's doing is making people angry resulting in lost customers, especially to the overseas market where they know they are getting what's advertised.
    telecrag

telecrag Addicted Member

Only a special skier could enjoy that fine level of grooming.
    DbSki

DbSki Addicted Member

Claude Cat

Claude Cat Gone Fishing Moderator

Lorem ipsum

Lorem ipsum Addicted Member

All I could think was, wow that is some seriously awful grooming.
    main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident Season Pass Holder

Looks like the run is Summit,.....

Yeah,.... like that in the first week of June ?? [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement Dedicated Member

Heliski quality!
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

Iconic.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    davidr

davidr Well-Known Member

when are the resorts going tell us all that there will be no lifts open this weekend - not their fault as there has the weather hasnt been kind to them to make snow - you have to be able to communicate well when the news isnt good
    currawong

currawong Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

I looked up Hausmann Communications that appears to be the source of the item. They list Merlin as a customer, so looks like it's the lift co that is paying the bill. massive own goal IMHO
    CarveMan

Forwarded this page to the relevant person. They aren't happy.
    sixty_eight

sixty_eight Dedicated Member

FC have been Astro'd
    Ian D

Ian D Old And Crusty Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Hope that isn't a case of shooting the messenger! We aren't responsible for the ABC article, just bringing it to light!
    CarveMan

Hahaha no not at all. If there's a flamboyant_expletive up you can count on it being posted here, so it's a good lesson to not flamboyant_expletive up!
    PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member

Meanwhile at perisher…

[​IMG]
    CarveMan

OK it wasn't the PR agency, here's what happened:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    VSG

VSG Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Maybe they should have put up authentic corduroy.

[​IMG]
    currawong

currawong Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Ouch.
    JustinH

JustinH Well-Known Member

Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Hully

Hully Well-Known Member

It is a given that the OP is a major stuff up by somebody in ABC, News Agency or PR department, but not promoting a product when it is poor is Marketing 101 and not unique to the ski industry. Do Myer etal put out a press release that says "all of our product is at full price next week", or Ford etal "our current model got a poor review from..." or Beach Resort "the enxt 2 weeks are forecast to be overcast and raining" or AFL/NRL "tomorrow nights game between the cellar dwellars is going to be a mediocre game at best". These things might be reported in the media but you can bet they are not highlighted to them by a Marketing or PR agency media release.
    Ramshead

Ramshead New Member

That would have been me. And there go any free ski junkets this year! Not that I usually get any anyway...
    climberman

climberman Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Nice article ramshead. Upbeat but factual.
    tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

Just got this from Perisher.

"The Wait is Over - Perisher's Opening Weekend is Almost Here!
    We're looking forward to a great winter season at Perisher! Despite the recent poor weather conditions, our fantastic Snowmaking and Grooming teams have worked hard to enable us to offer limited skiing and boarding for the official opening of the 2013 snow season on Saturday 8 June. With a little bit of snow and the Snowy Mountains of Music Festival we’re ready to PARTY!
    A beginners Ski Carpet will operate on Front Valley. For those not wanting to get their skis out just yet, the Perisher Express Quad Chairlift will open for foot passengers to enjoy the wonderful views from the top of Perisher!

A Mini Terrain Park with boxes will be open on Front Valley and  a Mini Park Jam event will run on Saturday from 11:00am to 1:00pm. Click HERE to enter.

Limited snow play and tobogganing opportunities and the Perisher Jumping Castle will be available on Front Valley outside of the areas designated for skiing. "

I would say....very limited snow play at best. [​IMG]
    Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook Dedicated Member

what? you need the resorts to tell you this? I would have thought that would be obvious.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

Got a call today from my ski freind. Told me he got the email from P saying they are up and running...

JustinH

JustinH Well-Known Member

I actually meant to post that to this thread...(http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1981238#Post1981238)I thought it may have been the trigger for the article?

Edit - Nevermind... I see you posted on that thread later on.
    sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Heh heh, I am still waiting to walk the slopes at Apex with ops manager to determine where we bury the timing cables that are going in this summer. Still another couple of weeks before it's snow free apparently.
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

great and immediate export opportunity for you there Sly [​IMG]
    sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Hmmm, should I use Fedex or UPS or DHL?
    gareth_oau

personal baggage!!
    scullee

scullee Part of the Furniture Moderator

SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew Well-Known Member

smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty

[​IMG]

far out I found that video annoying. All I wanted was one wide shot to show conditions, and instead get carefully selected angles.
    main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident Season Pass Holder

I see the term "bumper" got a run though..... [​IMG]
    Telestrom

Telestrom Addicted Member

Was a masterpiece of selected editing. Not a blade of grass or speck of dirt to be seen.
    gareth_oau

[​IMG] i clicked on the link and for the first 30 seconds saw an advert for boat cruise holidays [​IMG]
    trappers

trappers SH10151 Moderator

That friggin boat cruise holiday ad .... grrrrr
    kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

I was going to let officially/officially slide, but yeah, it makes whoever the doofus is look even more dim-witted than he no doubt is already. But how about the size of the crowd gathered around him for the big ribbon-cutting event?!!!
    sircrackerjc

sircrackerjc Member

What a crowd! That video represents precisely what the media can do with some editing.. Was that the official video of the official opening? [​IMG]
    Hully

Hully Well-Known Member

That video of the 'cutting of the ribbon' event was purely a staged for the camera exercise and probably keeping the pollie's minders happy. All of the official gabfest occured at the top of Falls Express. They did get a significant amount of snow made on the Friday night/Saturday morning to provide plenty for a bit of snow play etc. There was most likely more avaialble for snow play there on the Satruday than Lake Mountain has to amuse the masses in the peak season (though no toboggan area and this is not a criticism on Lake Mt...it's a great little destination). My little fella had a ball playing around in it and he is lucky enought to be up there a few days a week all year round for all of the pre season falls that have been had....he's the super cute one in the still taken a couple of weeks ago at the start of the video.

From my observations there were good numbers up at Falls over the weekend given the lack of natural snow. Even pretty busy in Mt Beauty, my little business had a great weekend.
    vet

vet New Member

all fixed [​IMG]
    PowderMedia

PowderMedia Well-Known Member

Fancy camera work and resort spin standing in front of the one ice covered tree aside, who commits to a ski weekend based purely on one PR department report without checking any snow cams, full reports, lift status, peers reports, or forums when all these more reliable options available? You either book early and take your chances because your situation requires that, or you book last minute when you can see snow on the radar or ground.
    kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

Who commits? First-timers - who rapidly become ONLY-timers!
    JoeKing

JoeKing Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

I could have been a statistic.

A bus trip to Smiggins for a weekend. I was cold and miserable and couldn't ski to save my life.

Fortunately, one thing lured me back to the ski fields..

Girls.
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

Have to wonder why they got the member for Gembrook (Brad Battin) to do the opening. The guy's clearly not even a skier because he's wearing rental clothing [​IMG]
    Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member

Speaking of Misinformation

We spent the long weekend at Thredbo, and on the monday the child wanted to ride the bobsled, so at 9am ish, I rang the ticket office to ask the opening time, to be told "the staff are just de icing the track, after the severe frost, they will probably have it ready between 12 and 1pm.

This was a bit strange, cause even my car windscreen was not icy on Monday morning that weekend?

I'm very aware that any moisture stops the breaks from working on the track.

So at a bit of a loose end I took the child for a walk to see just what de icing the track entailed. We actually walked the whole track, bottom to top, around 9.30am, not a staff member in sight. There were a few drops of water right towards the bottom of the track, but the further up we got it was completely dry. And no way was it cold enough to ice up / get frosty, hadn't been since midnight.

So we wandered back to the ticket office, and the child asks the question directly of the staff behind the counter. What time will it open? to get a similar reply...about frost etc.... too which she says my dad and I just walked the whole track, and it's dry. The glazed look in the young eyes of the staff was funny, and the reply was oh we are only telling you what the email said.

Why bother with the lie, why not just say if it opens it will be 1pm....

Now I'm all for safety, but given the early season conditions, and what I imagine would be a couple of spare staff around, doing SFA ... you would have thought the resort would have done their best to have every alternative entertainment activity available as often as possible without it costing a whole lot more?