Driving to the snow: yet another plea to fall on deaf ears

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Yardsale, Jun 7, 2013.

June daily watching

June daily watching New Member

Running lights are a lot less of a problem than those spotlight things that various hoonish people used to drive around with. They aren't aimed into the eyes of oncoming drivers, for a start.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

Your Victorian licence (provisional or not) authorises you to drive subject to Victorian restrictions. Similarly with a NSW provisional licence. So Victorian p-platers can travel at 100kph in NSW quite legally.
    When it comes to NSW p-platers travelling in Vic, I doubt that Vic police could or would enforce NSW laws. So I think on a technicality, they could easily get away with driving at 100kph on Vic roads. However Vic is very strict if you exceed the posted speed limit. 3 kph over, and you're done. So if a NSW p-plater was caught going 105kph in a 100 zone in Vic, the NSW cops may well hit him for exceeding 80 kph as well.

Different though for learners permits. Learners don't hold a licence being the essential difference.
    scottski

scottski Dedicated Member

Interesting. We actually asked both NSW an Victoria Police for advice on this issue in writing. They have no idea. We asked more than once and got different answers.

NSW said that all P platers must drive to the NSW speed limit They also said NSW P platers must not exceed 80 KMH in Victoria and elswhere.

Victoria insisted that NSW P platers could drive to Victorian limits and rules. In fact they encouraged it.

We also asked for L Plates same advice. Our kids drove the Alpine way in winter in snow as part of their driver training. In Victoria we changed the L Plates and drove to Victorian Rules.

We also know some of our Victorian Friends who were pulled over on L plates and warned by the NSW Highway patrol. When questioned they made it up on the spot and when pressed admitted they did not know.
    luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member

we assumed that Vic L Platers would be subject to NSW rules and, as such, last year jnr LTB drove at 80km/h in NSW which is really not an issue when you consider that it is mostly Alpine Way to Jindy and not a lot of scope for 100 km/h.

Today we left Buller at 2.00 p.m. I drove down the hill so jnr LTB could do the 2 hrs from Mansfield to Melb. I have to take it "relatively" slow with jnr miss in the car and regularly pull off if a faster vehicle is coming down the hill behind me.

Mansfield to Melbourne jnr LTB drove very well in pretty heavy traffic. Maintained good spacing between cars, overtook where appropriate and we got home within 5 minutes of our normal travel time.

In Vic, let your L platers drive and experience all conditions.
    sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

HiLo's head would explode if he came to Canada. Daytime running lights have been mandatory for all new vehicles since the early 90s.
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

I was being facetious - I use my DRLs all the time (during the day). Theyr'e old school though, not LEDs.

But I have my fog lights turned off. If it ever was foggy, it would take me a few minutes to figure out how to turn them on [​IMG]
    main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident Season Pass Holder

Was just thinking that !
    CBR

CBR New Member

And quite a few vehicles here have "fog lights" them turned on all the time by default (I'm looking at you, Golf) - but DRLs aren't fog lights. Especially the sparkly but piss-weak LEDs.
    Apresski

Apresski Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

We used to drive the Newell Highway every year and I seem to recall that in NSW you had to have your headlights on all the time on the highway, can't remember whether it was a trial or permanent. It worked wonderfully well, you could see oncoming traffic for miles, making overtaking much easier. I still use headlights on roads that have a high posted speed with lots of crossroads and driveways, the Peninsula for example.
    Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture

I don't understand why you wouldn't run your headlights at all times. Betterchance of being seen = less chance of being hit, or hitting.

But DRL are a wank and ar e counter productive. Why use a pissweak set of lights when low beams are fine. Its as dumb as using park lights at dawn and dusk (the time of day you need to stand out the most).
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

I'm with SB. Cannot believe the people that drive at dusk in cars that are hard to see without their headlights on. As a motorcyclist I have always taken the view that you must make yourself as visible as possible. Though for some reason black bike, black helmet and black jacket always seems to be highly visible.
    gareth_oau

I disagree SB, the latest (quality) LED DRLs are incredibly bright, without projecting the light - they can be seen a long way off and I think they would be excellent for safety reasons
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

When we go to water ramp my mogul ski gets 2 really good learning experiences as an L Plater. The road between Thredbo and Khancoban exposes him to some really windy stuff. Most of the time we see no other traffic on this section so there is an opportunity to concentrate on driving skills. And driving at the speed limit, 110kph, on the freeway especially when there are trucks who wander a bit. Cannot get the 2nd one in NSW and they really should be exposed to this with a supervising driver.
    Piste Again

Piste Again Addicted Member

So long as you have some kind of lighting that doesn't dazzle the oncoming traffic I think you're doing the right thing. Two of my last 3 cars have had headlights that turn off when you take the key out of the ignition - so I just leave them on 24/7.

If someone sees you, they're less likely to collide with you.
    CBR

CBR New Member

This.

Also, the amount of times I have seen Canberra drivers going IN THE DARK with no headlights on is astonishing. Are people just too stupid to put them on? Special props driving the black commodore in the rain the other night with no lights on.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

It just practice for springtime when you have to sneak up on them kangaroos that hang around the outskirts.
    CBR

CBR New Member

No sneaking necessary. The roos merrily leap into your car like horny deer
    JoeKing

JoeKing

CrannyBerry needs to understand Joe king is joking.
    CBR

CBR New Member

Oh I know, I just wanted an excuse to say horny deer
    JoeKing

CBR

CBR New Member

Merrily.
    JoeKing

Yay merrily.
    VSG

VSG Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

JoeKing

Nar, it's Joe. God's the other bloke.

Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture

DRL - just another product for car companies to flog. Cars have had DRL for a very long time. Except that they were called head lights. There is no need for an addiitonal set of lights on the car.

Old cars used to have a dark dash unless the lights were on. Most new cars light up the dash even when the lights aren't on. Thats is why it is easier for people to get around on lit streets without lights on at night. In the past you'd realise as soon as you looked at the speedo and couldn't see it.
    sly_karma

Nth American cars have DRL that are normal headlights, just at 40% of normal low beam strength. No extra set of lights. And most have light sensors anyway, full headlights come on when it gets dark. The system works. The odd car without lights on is so much harder to see.
    gareth_oau

funny isnt it that years ago volvos were the only cars with headlights on during the day - and we all know about volvos and their drivers! [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    sly_karma

All the Volvo legends aside, the Swedes know plenty about road safety in a northerly climate with short winter days and wet or snowy roads.
    The Plowking

The Plowking Addicted Member

Its incredible how few people turn their lights on here when its raining/darkish.
    We actually have our parkers on every time we drive, both cars.
    I just leave the lights on the Ranger on Auto
    Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Ever since I moved to Qld from NSW, I notice this far more often. It can be nearly pitch black and some wont have their lights on? I wonder why that is?
    June daily watching

June daily watching New Member

saving on electricity
    Izzy

Izzy Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Surely not?
    Benn0

Benn0 Old And Crusty

DRL's have some specific design differences to driving lights, they put out less light and are designed not to glare other motorists as much as driving lights or fog lights do. The use of LED also slightly improves fuel efficiency. Car makers would rather not use them, in the US and Canada they fought the introduction of DRLs due to the cost. That is why they use low voltage driving lights instead, but it isn't the same thing that is required in the EU.

DRLs have been found to be most beneficial in Scandinavian conditions, but do provide some benefit in other conditions.

Interestingly there has been some recent press about Victorian Police mistaking DRLs for fog lights and handing out fines.
    gareth_oau

I think more specifically the press was about the pig-headed (excuse the pun) ignorance of a particular victorian police officer
    TropicalPow

TropicalPow Dedicated Member

I add my vote to using headlights on if you want to make yourself more visible.
    Park lights are exactly for that.
    DRLs imo have more wank factor than any benefit over using headlights on.
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

Did a Thredbo - Jindy run this arvo.
    I was pleasantly surprised when a slightly slower vehicle pulled off on the shoulder to let me pass! Thought they had a problem and were just stopping but as soon as I passed they pulled back out. Awesome work!

Upon return I was stuck behind a vehicle doing between 10 and 20 km/hr under the speed limit - lots of decent shoulders to pull over, never did. Everytime we got to a place I could pass he sped up...usually blocked due to oncoming traffic anyway. I wasn't concerned and happy to toddle along in the rain at dusk anyhow.

But a good contrast of driving etiquette, and rammed home how simple and effective it is to pull onto the shoulder if there are cars behind you.
    vet

vet New Member

My friends in Nigeria make a special 'green' eco-solar panel sticker,. You're lights will work unless you leave them on without the engine running, or the car battery goes flat. Who wants one [​IMG]
    main street

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    main street

Completely agree.

Took a little while to get used to when I first got to Canuckda,..... but now I wouldn't be without it.
    Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Well-Known Member Season Pass Holder

Something like this is apparently law in California IIRC. I think the magic number is 3 or 4 or so? Once that many cars are queued up behind any slow vehicle it's required to pull over and let them pass. A damn good idea IMHO and one all the various road "safety" "experts" we have here should look at... if they can extract their heads from their nether regions first, of course.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    sly_karma

Across the border in Washington, the minor highways have a series of 'pullouts'. These are just wide shoulder areas that have been paved. The law there is vehicles with 4 vehicles behind have to use the pullout and let the traffic past. They're much easier to build than a passing lane and there are far more of them. As Marty says, a damn good idea, simple, inexpensive and common sense. Passing lanes are a huge waste of money, the timid drivers get courageous when the road widens and barely any vehicles actually get to pass unless they blow through the speed limit.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

yes yanks got some good ideas..

About time a sign was erected on Falls Ck Rd just as you start uphill climb from Mt Beauty advising drivers of their responsibility to pull over and allow faster traffic to pass them....

One big sign to push home message....Mostly courteous drivers go up there but some times they piss me right off.And why they sit on 110km hr in the inside lane of the Hume all the way up from Melb is a total piss off.

Vic Police really need to start cracking down on this arrogant dangerous malady that seems to be getting worse.....
    mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old And Crusty

Absolutely.

The problem with slow drivers is they are usually oblivious to what's going on around them, and often have a look of amazement on their faces when you eventually find a place to fly past.

There's no need to pull over every time someone gets closer to you, but seriously, if you are sitting on 85-90 with 20 cars behind you it's probably time to pull over and let everyone go.
    climberman

climberman Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

I'd love us to have American manners, but I'll stick with our road safety record, thanks.
    Donza

Donza Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Re Pulling over on the Monaro highway.
    On a sunday the traffic is so dense that i'm not even sure that will work.

L platers shouldn't drive that road during "peak hour".
    mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old And Crusty

A degree of common sense as individuals needn't affect our road safety record.

It should actually improve it.
    Donza

Donza Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

seatbelts and helmets optional?
    Piste Again

Piste Again Addicted Member

And a compulsory gun rack
    Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member

Washington State = Pull over for 5 cars behind you. Best rule ever!!