driving in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Dec 21, 2011.

1. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

2. system32

system32 Just Registered

But thats worth of a whole other thread

3. system32

system32 Just Registered

lol one day

4. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

What the hell are you on about?

5. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

6. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Fair enough, wouldn't wanna do that drive every weekend, getting out of the inner city on a Friday afternoon is a pain any time of year. Enjoy living in the most expensive part of the city!

7. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Active Member

hey has anyone driven Kootenay Hw #93, from Panorama ski area to L Louise ? makes a nice loop with K Horse;

is it sno-cleared regularly and driveable in late March ?

8. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I drove it late March 2007. Banff - Panorama.
    Had been a clear spell so the road was 100% clear and was a bluebird day.

Is up there with one of the most beautiful drives I have ever down hands down, including a passing visit of a Coyote.
    Also is quite an easy drive, however might be different during a storm.

essjaywhy likes this.
  9. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I have been along it in a shuttle in January. No problems at all (apart from the shuttle driver forgetting to pick us up, but that's a different story).

essjaywhy likes this.
  11. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

That road is used full time all winter. It has avalanche zones so it does sometimes close for control work. At least this occurs less often than Rogers Pass or Kootenay Pass. On Friday and Sunday nights it is very busy with Calgarians heading for Panorama. All the usual caveats apply as for any Western Canada mountain highway in winter.

essjaywhy likes this.
  12. luvthabumps

Season Pass Gold

picked up our new ride yesterday - 2017 Ford Explorer Sport.

2 year prepaid lease with a maintenance and cosmetic wear package and I can either just hand the keys back at the end or if we stay on I'll just pay it out.

Have rented before and always enjoyed the ride. Gives us our 7 seat option. Nice bells and whistles.

Heading up to Whistler for the weekend for a pre season reccon. Looking forward to it.

sly_karma likes this.
  13. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Early start to the winter driving season this year. Already avalanche control closures on some of the mountain passes yesterday. And a big rockslide blocked the trans Canada between Golden and LL for two and a half days this week.

14. luvthabumps

Season Pass Gold

Winter tyres being fitted end next week

15. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Has anyone hired a pick up truck before? Want to do it in true Canadian style on our upcoming road trip on the powder highway. Wanting to hire a Dodge Ram or a Tundra. Anyone had any experience hiring one and recommend a particular company? Just wife and I and a couple of snowboards thrown in the back.

16. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Any particular reason for wanting a Ram or a Tundra? They're both guzzlers compared to Ford's Eco-Boost turbo or Chev's 5.3 V8 with cylinder deactivation. Unless you are lucky enough to get a Ram equipped with the EcoDiesel (Fiat V6), those are good on fuel especially compared to Chrysler's thirsty Hemi V8. Anyway, all the major rental companies offer trucks. They're very comfortable highway vehicles and their weight and width make them a good choice for winter road trips, especially in slush.

One drawback will be that you probably won't get a canopy or tonneau cover with a rental truck, so the boards are going to be exposed in the bed when you stop for a meal or sightseeing. You will want to get something with some kind of rear seat, be it extended cab or double cab or crew cab or whatever other name the automaker has come up with.

You could pm @Ralph_implement, he rented a truck last winter or the one before.

17. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Thanks sly for the info. The Dodge Ram or the Tundra are both vehicles I like but will check out the other options you have suggested. Appears when renting from any given company there is no guarantee of vehicle of choice anyhow. Seems like it's hit & miss dependent on what is in stock at the time? Yeah the rear cover I expected would be an issue. Was thinking it would need to be a dual cap so could lock extra gear in the rear seats when required.

18. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Just remember to turn of the engine while refuelling. You'll never be able to fill the tank while it's idling.

19. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

20. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Some's better'n others though PA. My Chev is normally 11 L/100 km on the highway but in optimum conditions I've been in the 9-10 range. Pretty good for a 2400 kg 300 kW petrol-powered behemoth that's about as aerodynamic as a brick.

TropicalPow likes this.
  21. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

A lot of companies seem to hire a Dodge Ram 1500. Any good? Enterprise hiring them for $937 for 18 days hire.

22. Crystal

yup, we have had one. Nice car drove well but thirsty

Cham likes this.
  23. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Jeep Grande Cherokee for the win. Super comfortable winter ride with lots of room and "truck" ride height.

Cham likes this.
  24. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Thanks. Love the idea of pick up truck. Will feel like a part of the culture. Just me & the girl and powder highway to unfold the adventure.

Anyone hired from enterprise? $937 with unlimited k's seems reasonable. Looking into credit card insurance to see coverage.

Figure I will put bags in back seat of dual cab, and boards can go into tray. Will remove boards from tray when arriving to resort and store in lodge. If in town will just store the boards into the cab when sightseeing etc.

I don't really care about the fuel consumption as it's only for limited use. Imagine will be doing approximately 1800 - 2000k max. Pick up in Calgary airport and head down to Fernie, onto Nelson, up to Revelstoke, back to Calgary.

TropicalPow likes this.
  25. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

@Cham, price seems very reasonable at $52 a day for unlimited kms. The Dodge trucks have a reputation for very smooth ride. You'll love it.

Everyone chuckles at the full size trucks in nth america, but I reckon Aussies would buy them like crazy if they were available there. Midsize trucks like Ranger and Colorado sell well, and big SUVs like Landcruiser and Patrol as well. Aussies don't have a problem with owning and driving big vehicles. Petrol is cheap (by world standards) and distances are long, so a big, comfortable vehicle makes sense. Pretty soon the American big three will be importing all their vehicles into Australia anyway, so there won't be a risk of undercutting sales of locally made utes. Not impossible that we'll see full size trucks brought over.

Cham likes this.
  26. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Make sure you understand their insurance cover and cost

Cham, Born2ski and sly_karma like this.
  27. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

2 years ago in Canada they gave us a Chevy Suburban. They call it a suburban because it's as big as a suburb.

We drove from Victoria to the ferry, through Vancouver and up to Whistler. It was only after we dropped it off at Whistler that I realised that the warning light that was on for the whole trip was "poor fuel" because the last punter had filled it up without enough octanes (yeah ok, fair enough, so did I). It probably goes part way to explaining why it got 18L/100.

28. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

That Suburban probably had the same engine as mine, the 5.3L V8. It runs fine on regular unleaded or 10% ethanol. Something off kilter got put in that tank but it shouldn't have been merely low octane.

29. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Thanks @gareth_oau. Willlook further into itno er the weekend prior to booking.

@sly_karma yes I love big vehicles for their practicality and comfort. Just bought a landcruiser LC200 V8 diesel for the wife and love the thing. Long trips it's a beautiful car to drive on long hauls. I drive a modified hilux, so used to big cars. Will feel at home in something like a Dodge Ram or the like, yet I imagine it will make my hilux feel like a pimple.

Appears it's pot luck when you hire...most of them say Dodge Ram 1500 or similar. So could end up with anything. As long as it's a big pick up with nice interior, solid engine I will be happy.

30. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

We hired a Suburban through Enterprise which was about $1800, but they then wanted about $1600ish for the various required insurances.

and no, your travel insurance or credit card insurance will not cover you fully, only your excess

#480 gareth_oau, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  31. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

Not impossible for sure, but highly unlikely. The cost of RHD conversions or designing in RHD factory build capability makes them prohibitively expensive.

Perhaps it's time we thought about going LHD here?

32. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

But they're going to have to bring in converted drive vehicles anyway Marty, GM and Ford aren't going walk away from an established market and dealer network. Those big trucks are the most profitable line they sell in nth america and the conditions in Australia would make them a good seller there as well. I'd guess that for a while they'll take smaller margins or even subsidize slightly to accommodate the cost of the switchover to converted drive, they've obviously factored that in as part of the decision to stop building in Australia.

33. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

1600 for insurance....hey?? Seems like I need to do more reading. If your excess is covered isn't that enough? Clearly I need to do some further investigation.

34. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

The insurance you need is typically call ed Collision Damage Waiver.and 3rd Party liability. That's the expensive one which means they cover all liss and damage, apart from the excess which is tyically the first $5k.

They will also sell you more cover to waive the excess but this isnt needed if you have travel insurance which covers the excess

Cham likes this.
  35. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Ok cool. Further ready they offer Damage Waver for a cost between 23.99 CAD and 26.99 CAD per day.

So the hire for 18 days of approx 937 CAD and additional say 486 CAD for damage waver. Works out approximately 80 CAD day. Seems pretty reasonable. Do the pick ups typically come with snow tyres or is that still hit and miss?

36. Crystal

where are you picking it up from @Cham ? Generally from Vancouver it is hit and miss with winter tyres, but if picking up in Kamloops, Kelowna generally they will have winters on already .

37. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Calgary international airport.

Booked it last night. Dodge Ram 1500. If their info online is right should come in with the damage waiver fees at around 1380 CAD. Approx $76 per day. Hopefully I'm not missing any other taxes or hidden fees.

38. Crystal

Not sure about winter tyres in Calgary..... it's snowy there so maybe it's a given. remember to check before you drive away. You want M+S (Mud + Snow) at the very least.

Not sure on your costs for insurance if good or bad price. We always only pay the rental fee and then separate insure the rest. We rent for a month though so rates come down heaps as you pay a monthly rate and not a daily rate.

Cham and Chowder11 like this.
  39. snowtyres

snowtyres Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cham likes this.
  40. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Look into your travel insurance, you might find they cover you and you wont need to pay the extra car insurance at the booth.
    Ours has always covered hire car damage.

Cham likes this.
  41. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Thanks all. Making contact with Enterprise in Calgary to see if it comes fitted with the M & S tires.

Haven't organised our travel insurance yet. Just need to investigate the credit card coverage and go from there.

42. Zeroz

Zeroz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I rented from Enterprise in Calgary for three weeks for the LL-KH-Revy-Apex jaunt 3 years ago

Dropped car off in Kelowna to avoid backtracking but at that stage there was a direct and easy YLW-LAX flight.
    No drop-off fee for rentals of 2 weeks or more.

Join Enterprise's ff plan. I already was for one good reason.
    In larger locations (like Calgary), Enterprise have a have a row of cars to pick from, as long as you book a mid-size or better. You look at the 8 or so cars parked there and pick one. Obviously it varies, but we had a choice of minivan, SUV and sedans.

43. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

@Zeroz thanks, good to hear some positive feedback on enterprise. Did your vehicles from them come fitted with M & S tires?

Pricing seems very good, unlimited k's and I'm dropping back off at starting point as we doing a big loop on the powder highway.

Just hope we end up with the Dodge Ram or equivalent.

44. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Are you sure about that?

If so can you provide further details. Im keen to buy into that

Chillybin likes this.
  45. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

That's interesting. Who are you with?

The PDS's I've been reading this year have only covered the excess up to a limit. Not only that but their public liability cover is void when the insured is driving.

46. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

My Amplify platinum visa says it will cover up to $5000 vehicle excess for car rental.

47. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

compare the small print of your visa cover versus other policies, akes sure the snow cover etc matches your needs

Cham likes this.
  48. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Response from enterprise regarding my question regarding M & S tires:

"We look forward to seeing you on January 8 for your 18 day truck rental. The trucks we carry in our rental fleet are Ram 1500, Ford F150 and Chevrolet Silverado 1500. All our trucks are outfitted with tires that meet the provincial highway guidelines for winter driving in Alberta. In addition all our trucks are equipped with four wheel drive. You will have no issues navigating our roads to and from your ski destinations."

Can't argue with that. I'm happy with that response.

49. Cham

Cham Dedicated Member

Is there a particular insurance policy/company you specifically recommend for ski trips including the car hire? Currently investigating options.

50. Crystal

We do not leave it to our credit car insurance to cover us for rentals. Our travel insurance will pick up the 5k excess although will not do the rest. i.e. the 50K that it will cost if you kill the car and will not cover the cost if you hit someone and they need 200K worth of doctors visits.

Chillybin likes this.