Advice needed DIY ski tuning bench

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sydlouise, Apr 18, 2017.

Sydlouise

Sydlouise Active Member

I'm moving house and in the fortunate situation of upsizing rather than downsizing :)
    one random piece of furniture I have cluttering up my gear room is a large varnished pine wooden desk it's about 1m deep by 1.6m wide.
    I'd like to use it to upgrade my ski tuning set up, currently a wobbly work horse in the courtyard but I have a large garage it can permanently live in soon.

Happy to drill into it/permanently convert, what rigs do you recommend? Have looked at a lot of DIY suggestions but always better to hear from someone who is happy with their set up before i bust out the power tools.

jgm

jgm Active Member

Have a look at tognar.com. My setup is a smallish table that lives in the garage. It has a Profi Ski Vise permamnently attached on one edge, with 2 wire baskets on slides underneath that I use to hold the iron, wax, P-Tex ribbon, repair string, dremel tool & edge grinder, soldering iron, etc. I have a powerboard on one end to power all the bits. The bench also has my sliding compound mitre saw on the top, so it serves a dual purpose, and I have fitted lockable wheels to the legs.

bluess57

bluess57 Active Member

Just constructed a DIY tuning jig on the w/e out of scrap pine wood I had around, haven't used it yet, couple of changes still to make.
    This:-
    https://skitracks.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/diy-ski-tuning-bench/

I made the boot template/dummy to fit into binding, so brakes are up and ski is locked into jig.
    This jig may only work on the one pair of skis though, and without an adjustable boot template, its one size only, or make it removable.

:thumbs: climberman likes this.
    LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Whatever you do, if you plan on using it more than ocassionally try to get the height perfect for YOU. Trust me, that little bit too much bend after doing multiple skis/boards gets really annoying.

:thumbs: Little Bobby Tables likes this.
    Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Active Member

Aha! I see a project coming on. As soon as I finish the roof rack thingy going over the back of the duel cab ute tray which will hold the skis this winter . . . . .

DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

There's a few very cheap DIY ways to build a tuning bench without buying a ski tuning vice.

Two pieces of 6x6 timber posts long enough to fit two pair of skis side by side, drill two holes through each piece 6 or 8mm and then half drill with larger drill to take round head bolt. Router two lots of two slots in your work bench to accommodate the two bolts in each post and attach 6x6 posts with butterfly nuts through the bench. The slots allow you to adjust the posts for different skis and binding set ups. Then cut out one slot in the top of each post deep enough to accept your ski on edge without falling out. Cut or buy some small timber wedges to hold your ski once n the slot. Pin on to the post some of that non slip rubber matting to hold your skis firm when sitting flat on top of the posts.

This is a hard wearing, adjustable ski bench.