Question Cheapest time to buy flights-Japan

Discussion in 'Flights' started by TDS, May 31, 2016.

TDS

TDS Active Member

Hey guys,

Wanting to go to Japan for 3 weeks end of this year into mid Jan,

Want to get there after Christmas and before new years and come back by say the 18th..

apart from sky scanner is there another good website I should be checking?

I'll be flying from Melbourne to Tokyo, 1300 return is the best I kind really find..

Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Cheapest time to buy flights-Japan

March was the cheapest time this year, flights were around $1100 with JAL and Singapore Airlines for those high season dates.

www.momondo.com.au is another site like skyscanner.

:thumbs: TDS likes this.
    Born2ski

You can still get Jetstar seats for $1235 including 20kg of luggage.

p.s Air China still has some fares around $1100

TDS

TDS Active Member

Thanks! Probably gonna just grab the jetstar flights...

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Garuda has some cheap flights in school holidays as do Singapore. All with stops though.

smackies

smackies Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

ANA just released sale fares for summer (i.e. our winter). $833 from Sydney to Tokyo.

So if they are going to have a winter sale, may not be for quite awhile.

travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member

Are you planning on skiing on Honshu or Hokkaido? If Hokkaido you might get better deals looking at Thai, Cathay, China Eastern, China Airlines who all fly in to Sapporo one stop.

Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

This. If I was going to Hokkaido i'd be skipping the Tokyo option completely, and going via an Asian port. Considering the times you are talking, i'm thinking Hokkaido is where you'll be heading anyway.

For MEL return, you really cant go past a good cheap J* direct flight on a new plane. 10 hours and you're there.

TDS

TDS Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

We are actually looking at doing Nozawa Onsen, I don't know if I can convince the girlfriend to go to Hokkaido, we really want to stay on Honshu. I did Hokkaido this year.

I think the jetstar direct flight to Tokyo is going to be the best option from Melbourne. For the time of the year we are going everything is f--king pricey!

I don't think I am going to find anything cheaper then $1300pp direct from Melbourne...

Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Probably not, if that's what you want to do.

TDS

TDS Active Member

If I wait until the end of jan into early feb it will be half the price per person, maybe I should even look at that..

travelislife

As soon as you get out of school holidays it will be much cheaper.

TDS

TDS Active Member

This is true, but I'd have to take unpaid annual leave due to work if I went later.

Lifes' hard, I know.

Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Yeah definitely go then if you can. Going anytime late Dec - mid Jan is pretty pricey. Snow is usually more reliable in Feb too

Froff Life

Taking unpaid leave vs paying more in flights and accom.... what works out better for you?

TDS

TDS Active Member

Actually good point... I can get me and my girlfriend flights late jan-early feb for around 700 each..

Will think about this long and hard.. haha

toxicfox

toxicfox Active Member

You might also struggle for accommodation in Nozawa mid January as well. Fire festival on the 15th and how popular it is becoming in general.

Froff Life

^^ that too. Nozawa is one of the most popular destinations for western (particularly Australian) tourists. It's always a bit of a struggle to get cheap flight dates that also match up to available accom in Nozawa because it can be quite busy.

TDS

TDS Active Member

Where would you guys recommend in Honshu then that offers decent skiing and a bit more of a traditional experience? I have noticed Nozawa is pretty booked up already and it costs a fortune to stay in a fairly average looking lodge..

Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Before you write off Nozawa try the Tourism Assoc. for your dates http://nozawakanko.jp/english/
    I am sure you will find somewhere to fit your budget .

Slowpony

Slowpony Active Member

Try contacting @time_girl
    She works at the place mentioned by Nozawaman

Froff Life

Myoko Kogen (Akakura Onsen) is similar with a nice little village

TDS

TDS Active Member

Just booked flights and accomodation in Nozawa Onsen- staying at Shirakaba. Mid Feb.

Getting excited!

:thumbs: Chondro and Froff Life like this.
    Born2ski

Now I know it's only February but if anybody is looking for some cheap airfares for next January 2018 then Eva Air have some great deals.

Return flights from Brisbane to Sapporo or Tokyo for around $750 on a full service airline including 30kg of luggage. Those fares start from the 3rd of January, so right in the middle of peak school holidays.

www.momondo.com.au will give you a number of online travel agents to book through or you can book direct with https://www.evaair.com/en-global/index.html for a few bucks more.

Froff Life

Eva airline? Never heard of them, anyone used them before?

Thommo79

Thommo79 Just Registered

EVA have been flying out of BNE since the late 90's. Fairly well respected full service airline based out of Taipei from memory. Not always the cheapest however do offer good service. Usually.

:thumbs: Froff Life likes this.
    Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

I googled them - I think they're the Taiwanese national airline

Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Correction - a Taiwanese airline, but respected

travelislife

Part of the Evergreen group. Massive shipping conglomerate. Great airline. Pity they don't fly to more Aus destinations.

Born2ski

BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

double check that you aren't going to be stuck with a long stopover in Taipei airport. Or, consider staying a night of two if you haven't had a poke around Taipei before. Some interesting things to see.

Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

Flown twice to Japan with them....highly rate them. Usually very cheap fares for a full service airline. They only fly out of BNE though...

:thumbs: Born2ski likes this.
    Willy

Willy Active Member

Been to Japan twice and flown EVA both times. Great service. A few hours in Taipei either way never worried us. When I checked this time the transit times had changed and not great if heading to Tokyo. BNE to Taipei was always half empty and my family of four both times scored seats on their own to stretch out for the overnight flight. Taipei to Nartia was always full house!
    I pushed the button on $1084 Singapore Air tickets. Change of scenery this year (Jan 2018) going to Myoko instead of Nozawa.

Born2ski

Couldn't help myself. We're locked in for next Jan, depart on the 3rd of Jan back on the 21st, just in time for the kids to start school. $759 each for Brisbane to Sapporo with Eva Air - bargain. :thumbs:

And even though we've done 4 trips to Japan we've never skied Hokkaido, so now the fun research begins. :D

:thumbs: Dave6 likes this.
    BoofHead

Highly reccomend spending a day poking around Taipei.

:thumbs: Joliver likes this.
    Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

That price is outrageous. You'd be silly not to book. We jumped on $1k flights with Singapore.

My tip: avoid Niseko at all costs...or base yourself around near Annupuri / Moiwa. The rest of Hokkaido is brilliant. Just doesn't have the serious steeps in abundance like Honshu. Furano is an excellent base to check out the central Hokkaido resorts (Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, Asahidake). Or maybe Otaru for the western resorts of Kiroro, Teine, Kokusai, Tenguyama.

Joliver

Joliver Active Member Season Pass Gold

Whats the layover like in Taipei? I just checked them out & horrible gap to Tokyo (better off running with a few days in Taipei per the suggestion above).

Have fun researching!

BoofHead

Whilst I know where you're coming from with the Niseko tip, it does tick a lot of boxes depending on your situation/travelling group.
    In this case, having met the B2S crew, I would also suggest Furano and surrounds.

Born2ski

On the way over flights are -
    12.10pm Brisbane - 18.50 Taipei , 9.30am Taipei - 14.05 Sapporo

So we will overnight in Taipei, fly to Sapporo next morning and be up at our ski accommodation by late afternoon. The overnight in Taipei doesn't worry me because normally when we fly into Tokyo we overnight there before heading up to our ski accommodation the next day. This way we just overnight in Taipei rather than Tokyo.

The way back is -
    15.20 Sapporo - 19.00 Taipei, 23.20 Taipei - 10.15am Brisbane.

Happy with the Sapporo departure time and Brisbane arrival, and only a bit over 4 hrs in Taipei on the way back.

Considering we spent 35hrs travelling back from Canada last month these flights are a walk in the park by comparison. ;)

absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Good flights at a great price.

Joliver

Joliver Active Member Season Pass Gold

Thats a great connection for the great price. I think the Bne - Tokyo leg got in to Taipei later and left Taipei earlier, so was not a 'proper' night. My dream flight is the Qantas Bne to Tokyo direct, but at $8,500 approx for the 4 of us it isnt going to happen.

If anyone spots a QF sale for Jan 2018 please post! Otherwise it will be back to Jetstar for us...lol (or may try Eva Air with two days in Taipei first, got to get my annual leave sorted)

Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member

Tempted to join you on those flights.

@BoofHead - you skiing Hokkaido next year?

Born2ski

I'll save you the seats between my kids so the wife and I can sit by ourselves further up the front. ;)

BoofHead

Not 100% sure D6. I'm kidless nowadays so will probably ski in Feb. Also considering some Northern Honshu destinations.

Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member

There are some cheap flights to Tokyo before new years as well.

Kash

Kash Active Member

The fly return for free to Japan on Jetstar sale every September is the cheapest way to get there. Yes it has a stopover in CNS and you have to pay extra for luggage, food etc (it is Jetstar) but for $500-550 return incl taxes I don't think you can come close to it in terms of price.

From memory it only applies end of Feb through to April. I haven't seen comparable specials for January before, and to be honest why would the airlines bother. Filling seats in Jan to Japan wouldn't be difficult for them!

Obviously if going in March you'd want to have flexibility in your ski destination in Japan - March can be hit or miss in Nagano but its usually fine in Hokkaido.

Froff Life

We got direct fares Melb - Narita for $590 in Jan this year. Screw the domestic stop over, its hell.

:thumbs: Vermillion likes this.
    skivet

skivet Active Member

Direct flight qantas Brisbane to Narita $1060 early feb, booked a few weeks ago!

Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Get an Amex card with 100,000 ff points.

Book award flights.

That's the cheapest way.

Just got the whole family going Mid Jan 2018

:thumbs: chicski likes this.
    chicski

chicski New Member

This ^^ just waiting on my latest card to cough up and I've enough for 3 return to USA.