Changes to JR East rail pass

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Born2ski, Apr 22, 2013.

Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned here but I just noticed there's going to be a few changes to the JR east rail pass. For one thing, you can no longer buy the pass online as of this month. It also seems there's a few other changes coming.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pdf/jep_online.pdf
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

No, hadn't seen that before. Interesting, wonder what sort of changes are planned?

Would be nice if they could issue the actual pass beforehand rather than just an exchange voucher and not have to worry about queuing up at the ticket office.
    stumpy308

stumpy308 Active Member

Correctly or incorrectly I hear that the non consecutive 4 day pass is going?

Not happy Jan if this is the case!
    Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator

It doesn't say that specifically.

It says it will review the passes. The new changes will be available on 1st July, so we won't know probably until around then what it will be.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Yardsale

Yardsale Addicted Member Moderator

5 days, even better!
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Just remember the new pass is only valid over a 14 day period unlike the previous pass which was valid over a month. Also the new one is 2000yen more.
    Heinz

Yeah a bit disappointing. The old 4 days in a month was just about ideal. If you were going to travel extra days you'd just pick the 4 longest ones and pay regular fares on the others. The 14 day restriction could be a bit limiting. Would have been ok for 2 of my last 3 trips which were 2 weeks but not the other of 3 weeks.
    The last one was Tokyo-Nagano return and Tokyo-Aomori return - 4 days was all I needed. The extra day would have allowed the option of NEX on the last day to Narita, but then it is debatable whether it is worth the trouble of catching that rather than the Keisei line which isn't that much anyway and more convenient.
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Yes I don't like the changes. For this trip it means that JR-East will get LESS money out of us. We'll just buy normal tickets for the return fares to Myoko, which cost less than the flexi pass and I won't bother using the Narita Express since I think the Keisei Skyliner is a better option.

The Keisei line is offering some good specials as well this season. http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/index.html

The return ticket with a two day Tokyo pass seems like good value.
    Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

Do I have to purchase the JR East pass before I leave Australia, or is it fine to just purchase one at Narita Airport?

The website says they can be purchased at Narita, but this goes against everything I've read on these forums about purchasing it before you go.
    Heinz

I think the full JR (7 day etc) passes can only be bought outside of Japan. The regional ones like JR East can be bought at JR offices.
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

Got me confused about pre-purchasing as I don't remember reading anything that encourages this. I have always bought JR East passes at Narita. From what I have read you have to go to the ticket counter anyway if you pre-purchase.

Now that it is only a 4 day in 14 days ticket and costs more it is worht checking other options.
    Yardsale

Yardsale Addicted Member Moderator

Got my JR yesterday from JTB. It was a bit of a giggle. You order on the website, they print out your details and fax it to japan who send an approval fax back. They also trigger the printing of the JR voucher on a printer locally. The staff here fax back something to confirm the printout and receipt, along with a copy of your photo id.

Lol.

BTW, if you are looking at doing touristy things, JTB can book things like Ghibli, and different tours for about the same cost as buying them on the ground in Japan.
    Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

Thanks @Heinz and @skichanger - I must have been thinking about the 7 Day Pass
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member