Canadian East Coast Resorts

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tonester, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:44 PM.

Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

My daughter is heading off later in the year to do a uni exchange in Montreal.
    We are planning on heading over to spend some time with her in January, so I'm looking at what to ski over that side of Canada.

Tremblant looks OK and there have been favourable TRs from a few.
    From Montreal, what other resorts would people recommend? And...how long before I get bored of Tremblant? We are experienced skiers, so looking for a mountain that has some challenge and variety to it would be preferable. Especially off piste and tree skiing.

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

In Canada - combine a trip of a few days / nights to Quebec City and then ski Mont Sainte Anne. Has some very good / steep off piste tree skiing.
    In USA - Vermont........"Stowe" or "Jay Peak".
    Each are 2-3 hours by car from Montreal.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

P.S. If you do go the Quebec City..........you must stay in the old city area (beautiful). We have been there in January..........magic place, was bloody freezing!!!!!!

:thumbs: Tonester likes this.
    Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

Tremblant is pretty good...I'd say 3-4 days max. All the lifts generally take you to the peak and you pick a side of the mountain to explore. Similar to Iwatake in Japan in a sense, only bigger. Nice tree runs.

:thumbs: Zimboo likes this.
    Tonester

Hmmmm......thanks @Zimboo. We'll eventually end up in NYC.
    Considering doing a road trip.

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

We did a round trip / road trip from Boston as my Brother lives north of Boston.
    Hired a car in Boston, visted brothers family over xmas / new year then did New Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec, Maine, Boston over 3 weeks.
    The drive from Quebec ciity to Sugarloaf in Maine (via Jackman/Moose Riiver) in January was wild. Total winter wilderness. The border police couldn't believe a family of 4 with Australian passports were on a skiing road trip in that area. Wife still thinks I'm mental, but loves the memories. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    :thumbs: piolet likes this.
    sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

This. Mte Ste Anne and Le Massif on the Quebec side, and lots of Montrealers swear by Jay Peak.

Tonester

Nothing mental about that at all. I was google mapping last night and started laying out a similar road trip in my mind. They are all areas I'd love to visit.

Tonester

I love the idea of crossing a border to go for a ski. Only about a 2 hour drive. I can leave the non-skier wife in Montreal for shopping and pop over for a ski. Thanks for the tip!

SurlyJoe5000

SurlyJoe5000 New Member

Le Massif

http://www.lemassif.com/en

Or drive just south of the border to Jay Peak. They've had 447 inches of snow so far this winter

Tonester

Jay Peak does look good!

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

If anyone here does the Quebec City to Sugarloaf / Maine drive in January via Jackman/Moose River please take a winter emergency car kit with you as you wouldn't want to get in trouble etc out there. We only saw 1 truck on the road for a long long time and no evidence of snow clearing on the road. Google maps shows it as highway "201" ........ why we took it over what looks like a much shorter option to Sugarloaf further south on "route 27". If 201 is a highway I would hate to think what route 27 is like in winter between Sugarloaf and the border.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Tonester

wow

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

It's all about the timing in the east for great snow conditions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,similar to Aus / NZ.
    Just much colder if the air is coming in from the north!
    We had standard - 5s C in NH and VT and then -15's C in Quebec and Sugarloaf was - 20s! before windchill!!!!!!!!!!
    My advice............wait and book on conditions as you see them, as accom vacancy is not a issue mid week in January.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 9:12 PM