Resource Buying ski/snowboard gear in Tokyo season 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 9, 2016.

1. hoppy

hoppy Active Member

Hi Sandy
    Boot size 27.5

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

3. Michkin

Michkin Active Member

Could you elaborate on that? I'm planning to buy a 3-piece set when I arrive.

4. Randy

Randy New Member

Elan, Atomic, 5150, Morrow aren't amongst the leading snowboard or boot manufacturers.

5. croanster

croanster Active Member

Hey there @Sandy, do you know if they’re likely to have these sorts of prices mid-January? Sounds like a great excuse to get some new skis if I could pick up some Soul 7’s (or something equivalent) for around $300 AUD instead of lugging my old s3’s on the plane..

Thanks!

6. debbers

debbers Just Registered

Hi Sandy,
    One word.... RESPECT!

Thanks for the awesome forum on ski gear. Heading over to Hakuba again in early Jan. Def looking at getting some new skis. Was thinking of an all mountain ski.

Opinions anyone?? I didn't just want "fat skis" as I ski mainly AUS/NZ and want to be able to use them next season also.

Do the shops close on a PH? We are in Tokyo over the Christmas/NY period. Are there any post Christmas sales??

I'm Asian sized, so would there be more options for skis?? I'm 163 tall, so my 151 are just nice, sitting at the top of my nose. If i bring my boots can they fit everything all at one go??

Any recommendations for all mountain skis?? Or width sizes. Thinking of something better for powder.
    My current skis are a good beginner Salomon Origins and are really fun to ski on in Aus, but they didn't do as well last time round in the powder.

L:151 W:72 T:12.2

I'm a good intermediate skier. Mainly groomed runs. Need a lot of coaxing to do any blacks ;)

Not fussed on brand, just wanted to upgrade and have something fun! At a bargain of course.

Had a look online. The K2 OooLaLuv sound fun. Or Atomic Vantage??
    My friend got the K2 Ikonics (men's) and said they were heaps of fun.

Thanks!

7. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I ski on Atomic Vantages in resort (lifetime Atomic fan)
    I have Atomic Backlands for powder
    And the Atomic Punx for park (rarely used)
    I suggest to you like you said to use the Vantages (I don't know about K2)
    Vantages are great on piste and are okayish on powder. I much prefer my Backland for powder though.

8. damoski

damoski Just Registered

Hi I am heading to Japan in mid Feb' to go skiing in Yuzawa* and will be looking for ski boots like Full Tilts or dalbello and touring bindings like the salomon guardian, marker duke and tyrolia adrenalian. Do the shops in tokyo sell these? Also is there a shop youd recommmend more then another to get bindings mounted ?

9. Sandy

I'd suggest a ski with a width of around 85-90mm under foot (if your previous ski was 72mm), seeing you want something a bit wider. I wouldn't push it to 95-100mm, if you are not used to that, because these skis often have pronounced rocker (some tip and tail, like the Rossi Saffron in photos earlier.)
    I will post some photos of cheaper skis a little later.

There are no post Christmas sales in Japan, because Japan is not a Christian country.... Christmas day is never a public holiday. But there are sales all the time in the ski shop area. Shops do not close on public holidays, except for holidays associated with New Year. 1st & 2nd are Sun/Mon, So many shops across Japan will be closed on Sunday, and quite a few on Monday. Business as usual on Tuesday 3rd. HOWEVER, because of the snow season, some shops in the ski shop area will most likely be open on Sun 1st & probably most open on Mon 2nd.

10. Sandy

Also, you can find Full Tilt in Sports Crew. Be aware though, limited larger sizes are available.

There's quite a few places that have alpine/touring bindings. If you buy skis there, I'd suggest getting them mounted where you buy the bindings.

TOFF likes this.
  11. debbers

debbers Just Registered

Thanks so much for your help!

12. damoski

damoski Just Registered

Already got the skis just need bindings, any idea if what the prices are like for those kinda touring-alpine bindings?

13. Carts

Carts Just Registered

Hi again, anyone know if I'm likely to be able to pick up impact / protection shorts easily? In men's & womens large - extra large?
    TIA

14. oppositelock

oppositelock Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just a note.....I came across a Hardoff/Modeoff, something off in Jōetsu that was full of secondhand skis and boards. Kicking myself I didn't pick up a cheap swallowtail. I've never seen any in Tokyo but they must be floating around out of town.

15. MuchoLemons

MuchoLemons Just Registered

Sure they might not be the best but aren't they good for the price?

Seems to be good value to me.

16. wkd

wkd Just Registered

is there any real reason why some japan fit goggles use a buckle? i was thinking of buying a pair of japan fit dragon goggles but worry about how the buckle would feel wearing under a helmet

17. Sandy

Most people wear the strap (and any buckle) over the top of the helmet.

18. Nick Bloom

Nick Bloom Just Registered

Any good recommendations for ski binding purchase and set up on new skis?
    Anyone seen rental (adjustable) bindings for sale anywhere?

19. wannabeskibum

wannabeskibum Just Registered

Hey experts!

I have some Faction 3.zero's and there a little stiff for what I want...so heading to Japan late January and looking for a shop that buys second hand skis? I am having some trouble selling them here given the time of year etc.

Cheers

20. Pelm1

Pelm1 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Good luck... I would imagine you would be better off keeping them and selling into our next winter..

@Sandy

21. wannabeskibum

wannabeskibum Just Registered

Ye I think you might be right. To be fair its actually an incredible ski, but I really want a softer pow ski for Japan...might have to just justify another ski purchase haha

22. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Just ski faster.

Nozawaman, Zimboo and Kletterer like this.
  23. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

@Sandy are there bibs available in london/kanda? cannot remember seeing many last time but was a couple years ago...

24. CameronG

CameronG Just Registered

Hi Sandy and others,
    Thanks very much for all the info - has been useful.
    I am a beginner to intermediate skier and will be spending this season in Hakuba (I've never skied there before). I want to buy some skis, bindings and boots in Tokyo. I am planning on going to the shops you have recommended on the blog. Can you give me an idea of what particular skis I should look out for to buy for my level and that should be available and affordable in Tokyo? I'm after an all mountain ski or something similar. Package deals would be great. I don't know much about skis as have never owned my own pair so any advice you could give would be great.
    Cheers
    Cameron

25. Sandy

No, I don't think so.

26. Sandy

Height, weight? Which skis have you used before, and what length?

Do you have boots?

Go to London Sports first. I will see if I can post a photo of what they have later. I'd say get a ski that's around 90-95mm under foot, with front rocker, camber & straight tail. You should be able to get a package for about 25,000yen or less.

27. CameronG

CameronG Just Registered

Height 1.77m, weight 75kg. Don't have boots, need to buy also. Not too much I can offer on skis I have used sorry - but roughly 170cm length, generic rental skis for NZ conditions. Please don't put yourself out but any info from London Sports would be much appreciated - we are in Tokyo in a few days. Thanks again.

28. Rachibobs

Rachibobs Just Registered

Hi Sandy.
    This resource is outstanding - thanks so much for your efforts.
    I wonder if you have seen any little toddler gear in your shopping trips? I am finding it hard to find shoes/boots in my daughter's small (baby/toddler) size. She is walking, so needs something with decent insulation but most options in Australia assume a child this size is pre-walker. I was hoping the Japanese market may suit better!

And, any signs of a Rigler Board in the stores?

Cheers!

29. Sandy

London Sports:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ones in the first photo, on the left are women's skis.
    The skis are all another 20-30% off, skis with bindings. If you intend to ski powder, 75-80mm under foot is too narrow. (e.g. K2 Amp 80 X) Salomon Q-85 in a 174cm might be ok.
    The green ones in the first photo are Salomon Q-90. they have 161, 177 & 185cm.... These are rocker/camber/rocker, so you go longer, 89mm under foot in 177cm is my suggestion.

They have lots of boots.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  30. Sandy

I had a quick look in London Sports, no tiny boots in there. I'd try in department stored for toddlers shoes/boots. Little kids in Japan do way more walking than Aussie kids, so you can find small shoes. Try ABC Mart.

31. Sandy

Also consider these:

Salomon X-Pro 90
    [​IMG]

The last is 100-106mm heat moldable. I have a pair of Salomon X-Pro 130. Fuso & ICI Race shop fit them.... they heat the shells for 20 min, and then you put the whole lot on, and the boot shell will mold to your foot shape up to 106mm width. They have at least one pair of 27.5 there in London Sports, for around 27,000yen or less.

32. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Those Solomon X-Pro90's are very good value. Sandy, I hope you are being paid handsomely by the Japan Chamber of Commerce or equivalent as you are doing a sensational job at getting Aussies to spend lot's of money there. Your information is first class. I have only started to look at the Japanese threads as I've put my 4-6 week European trip on hold, so a short trip to Japan might be on the cards; 10 days or so. Thanks for the info.

33. Sandy

34. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Hi guys,

I am a expert skier heading to Hakuba for about 20 days .... I want to buy myself a backcountry setup.

I can get myself a DPS Wailer 112 mm underfoot for $500 and a AT binding for $400 from the US = 900

Or should I wait ?

Think Sandy said something about you can get AT bindings ?

35. hoppy

hoppy Active Member

Sensational post Sandy. I will look at the Salomon X-Pro 90. 90 is about the stiffness I want and if they suit my wide feet they could be the go. And crazy cheap compared to here :) Thanks again

Sandy likes this.
  36. Sandy

Go the US deal. you can't get the Wailer 112 old model for less than around $850 in the ski shop area. I can check the AT bindings price if you have make and model

37. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

You are way too nice Sandy ! Any of the Marker bindings look good to me that can do AT !

38. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Active Member

You can find some older ski models that are more versatile than the Wailer over there - there's some great skis from K2, Black Crows and Armada to name a few if you are willing to shop around.

39. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

I saw on the inter webs that ICI are having 30% - 50% off end of year sale. For anyone shopping before December 31.

#89 Zimboo, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    spunk72 likes this.
  40. Sandy

Sports Crew has one pair left, of 2014 Black Crows Camox for 19,980 yen.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  41. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Yeez. I don't like my chances - don't think they will last a month !

42. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Sorry I should clarify Sandy - the cheapest Marker AT binding that you can find. Cheers !

43. debbers

debbers Just Registered

Hi Sandy!
    Thanks for taking the time to visit and post photos. Counting down the days to our Japan trip!! Can't wait to check out the gear :) Not bringing my skis, so fully committed to buying my all mountain skis!!

44. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Ha ha that's funny, "more versatile than the Wailer". Perhaps you should ski a pair one day.

Nozawaman likes this.
  45. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Active Member

Been there and done that. It's not just my own experience either. Skialper reviews routinely put DPS skis in the middle of the pack - in the case of the 112RP, it's due to its relatively poor firm snow performance - hence lack of versatility, especially compared to an all-rounder like the Coomback.

Moot point anyway - I think he bought some other ski.

46. DPS Driver

Oh! Ok it must be true then.

But didn't he want them for Japan.

47. Sandy

It's a matter of opinion.... I've often heard DPS lovers still wanting to get some narrow GS skis to crank out big fast power turns.... using the full length and stiffness.

IMO, a rocker/camber/straight tail ski (like the Coomback that @Team Weasel has mentioned, or the Black Crows Camox that I like) is more versatile than rocker/camber/rocker skis.

Pelm1 likes this.
  48. DPS Driver

Ok here's my reply FWIW.

A rocker / camber / rocker ski is the most versatile ski you can ride. Regardless of who makes it.

The Coomback's a lovely cruisey ski but it's heavy, damp & predictable. It lacks life for an advanced expert skier and Ajmit has told us he's an expert skier and he wants to tour on it. I'm not having a crack at the Coomba but it is what it is. So to suggest that as a viable alternative to a W112 shows a lack of understanding or perhaps another agenda. There are plenty of other options which would be a much closer alternative than the Coomba.

The Black Crow Camox I haven't skied but it's 97 underfoot and Ajmit is after something 15cm wider for Japan. Sure closer than the Coomba from a feel perspective but 15mm narrower underfoot, so not what Ajmit was looking at either. Again a personal opinion which isn't focused on Ajmit and his needs / wants.

Yeah obviously I'm biased but not to the detriment of someone asking for advice. Or even for that matter to trash other ski manufacturers. I believe my posting history would support this. So when someone jumps in with uneducated BS well....

49. Sandy

Which bit is uneducated BS?

Ajmit321 likes this.
  50. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Personally I really disagree with this sentiment. I like my skis to be more directional with either a flat tail or subtle tail splay. Skis with as much tail splay as the Wailer 112 have no drive out of the turn. Heck even my specialist Powder skis (Praxis Protest) have a shorter and more subtle tail splay than the Wailer 112. The radius is too tight and the length and amount of splay in the tail, whilst allowing a ski with such a tight radius to ski nicely off piste ruins its potential firm snow performance. If I were going to Japan and I were to take a versatile choice for myself from the DPS line it would either be a pair of Wailer 105 or Lotus 120. But the reality is I'd get all excited and take a pair of Lotus 138 or Spoons and live with the compromises.

Where I think DPS has the versatlity thing in the bag is in the Pure 3 construction for a resort / BC ski, but as above I'd choose the 105s or the 120s before the 112s.