Resource Buying ski/snowboard gear in Tokyo season 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 9, 2016.

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Season Pass Gold

This year, hot temperatures only finished about 4 days ago in Tokyo, more than a month later than last year. It's also been very wet and humid, and we've had a lot of typoons. However, by my reckoning, the coming season is likely to return to normal, after poor snow in central Japan last season.(and a very late start in Hokkaido) So it's time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2016/2017.

The big stores in the Tokyo ski shop area have moved their gear down to the ground floor.

I was there yesterday, and there while some smaller shops have not yet opened their door, and the huge chain store, Victoria, seem to be taking over more shop space in the area. For example, the well known store "Alpen" has close it's doors for good, and Victoria has opened a ball sports store in tis place.
    Alpen was one of the only stores to have a good stock of ID One mogul skis, and it look to me like Victoria may have taken the snow gear from Alpen, as they now have a big ID One section in the Victoria main store, about 70m to the SE. (see maps)

The AUD has fallen since around April and has around 76-80 yen/AUD, so the gear in Japan is not as attractive pricewise, when compared to last year. (when it was around 85-88)

London Sports outlet is the cheapest place in the whole area. They usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots downstairs, and clothes, goggles, hats, gloves upstairs. They also have brand name sports shoes and clothes.

I'll be posting some ski/snowboard/clothes etc, prices that I've seen.

Here's the map to the ski shop area of Tokyo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), and the ICI Race shop.

The cluster of Sakaiya stores northwest of Jimbocho Station:
    [​IMG]

Showing Vail & London sports. Exit B5 from Shin-Ochanomizu & Ogawamachi Metro Subway stations: (I will update the photo, as London Sports now has a proper sign!!)

[​IMG]

A good place to try for some bargains on goggles & gloves is Kandahar. Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

K Village is still running..... it's located about 30-40m west of ICI hiking & climbing store. You can often find good deals on gloves & helmets.

One thing to note, there is also a big ICI Ishi sports store opposite Harajuku station. This has been there for a couple of years, but it's worthwhile having a look for clothes.
    (####EDIT as of December 2016, this ICI shop is having a closing down sale)

Also, if you take a walk down Meiji Dori (street) SE from Harajuku Station about 250m, then take a right down Takeshita St (main crossing, & main road south between there and Shibuya station), you will see a number of ski/snowboard clothes shops. Go about 500m until the road bends left (as you see the JR railway line), then turn left, then left and double back on the parallel street. There are more shops along there, including a Burton shop.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Sandy

Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap.
    Make sure you pick up the discount card first:
    [​IMG]
    Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For every 5000yen you spend, you get a stamp (however, I often seem to have gotten more stamps than that, so maybe they do every 3000yen sometimes) When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

London Sports has quite a lot of new stuff in.
    They currently have loads of Marmot gear, which in the last 4-5 years has gotten very expensive, sort of like North Face.
    They have a limited number of Marmot Gortex pants(maybe 10-12 pairs), and along with the discount card, can be grabbed for around 22,000yen.(very cheap for Marmot) They have quite a few jackets & lots of tops and non technical Marmot clothes.
    Better known brand pants include Helly Hansen, Columbia, Bonfire; I think these may go quickly!!). Others like Descent, Salomon, Goldwin.
    Helly Hansen b&b:
    [​IMG]

There's a good selection of Giro helmets for cheap.
    [​IMG]
    Subtract 20%(it shows 10% off, but by mid November, that will be 20% or 30%) from the marked price, and then another 10%(or 20%) with your discount card. For example The Giro Nine 10, 15,999yen, -30% = 11,199yen, -20% = 8959yen.

Giro goggles: (You can see the 20% discount at the bottom, plus you card discount)
    [​IMG]

In one of the Japan threads (Furano thread) somebody asked about beginner snowboards. These are board/binding sets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use your card to get 10% or 20% off those marked prices.
    12,800yen -10% = 11,520yen, or about $148 AUD.
    9,800yen -10% = 8820yen, or about $113 AUD.

:thumbs: Michkin, MuchoLemons and Hyst like this.
    MuchoLemons

MuchoLemons New Member

What kind of brand boots are we expected to get with the bundle packages at London?

Looking to get a bundle for my 2 week trip at Happo One on new years :)
    Ive read alot that its a good choice to get quality boots to improve shredding, also the comfort of course.

Sandy

I'll take a look when I'm in there next.

Sandy

Snowboard boots at London Sports: (not all) Mainly K2, Salomon, Elan, Adidas.
    [​IMG]

Down nearby at Fuso, they have pants at cheap prices:
    [​IMG]

All less than 8000yen, waterproof breathable including 686, O'neil.
    [​IMG]

I bought a pair of 686 Mannual Data pants 6500yen.
    [​IMG]

:thumbs: Michkin likes this.
    Sandy

Skis at Sports Crew. They had some incredible bargains last season, on powder skis. There are still some left, plus others. Last season, I bought 10 pairs of skis in that shop, for myself and friends!!!!
    The dirt cheap ones have "Outlet sale" on them".
    These are 70% off original price.
    e.g. Salomon Q-105, 22,680 yen. Black Crows Camox & Navis 25,800yen, Atomic Automatic, 27,540eyn.
    The rest on this wall are 50% off. Last season, the prices dropped further later in Jan/Feb.
    e.g. Blizzard Cochise 42,660yen, blizzard Kabookie, 34,560yen.
    [​IMG]

Armada JJ 2.0 46,440yen, Armada Majic JJ, 48,680yen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbs: Michkin likes this.
    MuchoLemons

MuchoLemons New Member

Awesome! Thank you so much for going above and beyond with the details! :)

As for the choices in boots, I saw last years thread where some of the boards have the 2 Piece set (Board+Binding) but some with the 3 (Board+Binding and Boots). I'm guessing there's an option to add boots to the 2 piece set with an additional cost?

Sandy

Once they have their November(season start) sale, they should have the full 3 piece Board+Binding & Boots sets.

Dooma

Dooma New Member

Thankyou, this forum is amazingly helpful.
    Whats the current sizing like in the shops?
    As a bigger person (6.2" 90kg) I was just wondering if I am able to get a suitable jacket/pants for boarding? Whats the range/quality like?
    Was looking to get something that would last me a whole season in Niseko so willing to spend a bit more.
    Thankyou in advance.

Sandy

When will you arrive? The earlier, the more gear they have. There's not as much range in larger sizes, but those 686 pants had a few pairs in XL, so there's some around. I can look in London Sports when I'm there next, to see what sizes they have. The name brands are good quality.

Dooma

Dooma New Member

I arrive early November, hopefully there's still larger stock available at a cheaper price, compared to what it is online in Aus. I will just have to look and hopefully find some good deals with my size.
    Also do you know any places that stock Anon googles? Looking for a pair of M3's.

Sandy

I don't know about the goggles.... so many brands. Early Nov will still be lot of stock.

zayoake

zayoake New Member

Hi @Sandy are you an angel?! Just wanna say thank you so much for sharing with us in detail on buying ski/snowboard gear in Japan. I just finished reading last year's thread that brought me here. Will be heading to Tokyo in mid-Dec'16 and hoping to buy my first snowboard set (Time to say goodbye to rentals). The map you shared at the first post detailing shop location/clusters are amazing. Will be relying on that fully this Dec. So yeah- THANK YOU!!

:thumbs: Sandy, MuchoLemons and Pelm1 like this.
    MuchoLemons

MuchoLemons New Member

I actually found out a buddy of mine lives close to Kanda so I asked him to check London Sports out as well.

He sent me a bunch of photos (most are similar to what Sandy posted) but ill post what I got as well.
    These were taken around 5hrs ago!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As of right now, staff said they don't have the 3 Piece set (Board, Bindings and Boots) available.

:thumbs: Michkin and Pelm1 like this.
    KablammoNick

KablammoNick Active Member

Thanks for another ripper thread Sandy - couple more questions following on from last year...

Are there many places to get good apres boots like Sorel's, and how low do you think stock would be at the end of February (for clothing, S/M female). The range here in Adelaide is terrible, so planned on waiting til our stopover in Tokyo enroute to Niseko to get the other half some gear.

Sandy

There was a whole lot of women's Sorels in London Sports last season. I can take a look and see if there's anything left. Sorels are becoming a bit more popular in Japan.
    But there's also a lot of apres boots, because Japanese women like to be stylish any time.

Friedrais

Friedrais Active Member

Any rough idea what an entry level complete ski set (boots/skis/binds) would cost?

Weight: 70kg
    Low-Mid Intemediate
    Height 5'10.5ish

Sandy

I'll have a look and post a photo. Do you know what size boot you usually hire?

Friedrais

Friedrais Active Member

No idea...I'm a US10 shoe size. Also not too worried about getting THE best boots. Even a rental standard that's fairly comfy would suffice, since running on a budget :)

gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Quick question @Sandy .... is there much in the way of high end snowboard boots in the ski shop area? sizes around us9-10... if you have a mo to check next time you're by there, would appreciate it... cheers!

Sandy

Ok, I'll check. There's plenty of higher end snowboard boots, but the sizes are more the problem I think. Are snowboard boots in US sizes or mondo sizes like ski boots?

gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

often both- cheers! appreciated...

Sandy

For those of you in Tokyo, this weekend (29-30th Oct) is the Kanda ski shop area fair.....
    Lots of brochures, coupons.... and some huge discounts!!!!
    "Kanda Shop" has Rossi Soul 7 in a 172cm for only 24,600 yen!!!
    Sports Crew has this weekend only, the 70% off powder skis are now only 19,800yen (2 days only)
    E.g. Salomon Rocker 108 & 122, Q105, Black Crows Navis, K2Annex 118, etc

Friedrais

Friedrais Active Member

Think the Soul 7's are still there? Getting my mate to run down and grab a pair

Sandy

Was still there 90min ago. Kanda Shop is next to Sports Crew

Sandy

Also have Rossi Smash 7, better suited to beginner / intermediate, as they're 92mm under foot, rather than 108mm.

Sandy

Photos:
    "Kanda Shop" (right across the lane from Sports Crew - see map)
    [​IMG]
    Rossi Soul 7, 172cm, 24,600yen
    Rossi Saffron 7, 162cm, 19,700yen (women's Soul 7)
    Rossi Smash 7, 170cm, 160cm, 140cm, 13,200yen

Sports Crew, 19,800yen just this weekend:
    [​IMG]
    19,800yen powder skis:
    K2 Backdrop
    Black Crows Navis
    K2 Annex 118
    Line Sick Day 125
    Salomon Rocker 122
    Salomon Rocker 108
    Salomon Q-105
    Atomic Automatic
    Atomic Atlas
    Zuma Scratch
    RMU Bluelight special
    Head MYA No 10

And at Vail, Touring boots:
    Dynafit Zzero4U MF (9800yen) & Head(19,800 yen) Touring boots.
    [​IMG]

Sandy

Sports Crew and Kanda Shop(the Katakana actually says "Nipin", but Aussies can read "Kanda Shop") here:
    [​IMG]

:thumbs: Pelm1 likes this.
    Carts

Carts New Member

This info is all brilliant, thanks!
    Does anyone know what time the shops with sales will likely close tonight (Sunday)? Keen to check out the sale but not free till after 7pm
    Thanks!

Sandy

Looks like 8pm for some shops.
    What are you after?

Carts

Carts New Member

Great, thanks

Just after a jacket at this stage that i can snowboard in as well as wearing for the next month in Matsomuto

Sandy

Have a look in Fuso snowboard shop, and Vail.... they have some big discounts on big brand jackets(see just outside and just inside the door) .... and London Sports of course

Dumph

Dumph Active Member

Those are some good prices. Got the Hell'n'Back which is an amazing ski, even though it's a few years old, 70% off is an amazing deal.

Carts

Carts New Member

Perfect, thanks so much!

mrblenny

mrblenny New Member

Do any of these stores offer a good range and price on second-hand gear? Looking at alternatives to spending ~$260 on hire gear for 5 days....

Carts

Carts New Member

I ended up getting a last seasons ladies snowboard jacket for around 6000¥ / $75 AUD at london sports. I only looked at clothing but men's / pants etc all looked pretty cheap - I'll probably do the same thing if I can rather than hire everything else.
    Not sure how much of my discount was the weekend sales, but it included 15% for sending an email to sign up for a mailing list

Sandy

I don't think I've ever seen second hand gear there....
    Especially when you consider you can get basic new gear for so cheap.
    What are you after??

mrblenny

mrblenny New Member

Something less than $200 that I can ski on for 5 days :p I am not a regular on the slopes, just looking for alternatives to hiring.

Sandy

That's probably doable. or are you talking about boots and poles as well?

TOFF

TOFF Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Sandy

:thumbs: TOFF likes this.
    TOFF

Any idea on $?

mrblenny

mrblenny New Member

Skis, boots and poles.
    It might be a fantasy :)

Sandy

I can check...

Randy

Randy Member

Most of the snowboard gear (boards and boots) in these pics is crap.

Sandy

TOFF

@hoppy

Sandy

Best place to get them: Sports Crew. This season's models of Full Tilt, around 70,000 yen. Last season's around 45,000yen. Previous season around 28,000yen.
    And they have some sizes up to 28.5 , so need to find out size.

hoppy

hoppy Active Member

Hi Sandy. I have an unfortunately wide foot so not sure I can pick up boots in Tokyo. Currently looking at Fulltilt Descendant 6 they seem to be one of the few models with a 102mm last. I don't mind paying 'full tilt' price as long as I can get a good boot fitter. Any recommendations in Tokyo? I haven't seen any sign of FullTilt in the various Niseko websites. Really looking forward to skiing Japan again - I hope we can all catch up.

Sandy

What's your boot size?