Brumbies KNP Management Plan Review

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by tele-whippet, Aug 12, 2014.

1. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Yeah saw that. Was going to comment regarding the discounting of what emergency services and teachers put up with. FWIW I actually think emergency services personnel have a really tough time seeing things continously that most military may only see a few times in their career. But yeah another random tangent, if did nothing about wild horses then have more for veteran support... I'm all for more for veterans, but I can think of other places to find a lot more money.

2. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

An aerial cull would leave more money for other things.

Vanders, Majikthise and skifree like this.
  3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Wild horses have been captured and re- homed for years in Oz. but just like re-homing greyhounds it is a drop in the ocean.

If re- homing was going to make a difference it would have by now.

It's all :deadhorse: by anti cullers.

Vanders and sly_karma like this.
  4. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Given something like 40k horses are put down every year in Australia, nothing short of using lethal means of control will work. Up around Townsville their calling for a cull due to a number of fatal MVAs involving wild horses, generally cars and bikes hitting horse carcasses that were killed by roadtrains.

skifree likes this.
  5. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

Yes, not much there down in the bottom of the Hollow. Walked up the Hollow and then climbed direct route to Mac Springs a couple of years ago. Could see the old track, but so infested with weeds that it was easier to walk up the river for the most part. Lots of deer.

6. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just had a good discussion with Newcastle Greens member J Mackenzie . Damn I wish I would have asked him about his thoughts on the Cull :doh:. Mostly talked about renewable energy and CSG but that's a different fight.

dawooduck likes this.
  7. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I love the crazy Berridale cat witch, every post is a winner, brings a smile every time I read her drivel and Amaree's too.

telecrag and dawooduck like this.
  8. Time

Time Active Member

Holy smokes, i've been avoiding reading this thread for awhile. But now i've gone through it all and all the reference material, l still don't understand why there are so many people so attached to an introduced species that damages delicate ecosystems.

and yes this is coming from an animal rescuing city dwelling vegan hipster...though.... sans beard.

like it or not humanity has ****ed with our ecosystems and must now be active custodian managers not observers. Good management is about making the right decision, not the easiest or most popular.

if only we were vulcan...it would all be logical and done by now.

9. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Even Vulcans are fooled by the big brown eyes!

What hope for us humanoids!
    We are doomed.

Time likes this.
  10. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

lel.........

Had a run in with Amaree on another page when I suggested a brumbie photo would have been better shot with a Ruger rather than a Canon

sidetrack and Gimp like this.
  11. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

omergoed...people trolling

Time likes this.
  12. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

13. Time

Time Active Member

argh ****...we're ****ed.

tele-whippet likes this.
  14. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Saw this and assumed it was you! Navy, Army, NPWS and weapons manufacturers, quite the conspiracy

Angus_McCrory likes this.
  15. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

I can't believe you lot are wasting time posting on the Jindy Noticeboard ROFL I now I know who some of you are ;)

16. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

Which Jindy Noticeboard is worth taking the popcorn to? There are at least three of them.

17. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

That would be the Jindabyne Noticeboard. Not the Buy and Sell or the New Jindabyne Noticeboard.

18. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

But it's funny, like the Kalkite woman who thinks it's her personal organizer, or the simply boganite Jindabean people, or the plain useless who want to know how to do/find the most mundane things or those special wave pool people or even the fat wrappers or the horsey folk, bless Em all

19. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Reading is one thing, getting involved in arguing with them is another!

20. Donza

Donza Pool Room

They are bored.
    No dogs missing

21. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

22. skifree

That could be fixed.

23. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

They seem to go missing in pairs
    just off for a wander

24. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Only out Lakewood way

25. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Couldn't help myself this morning, I'm itching

26. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Will we see alternate plans published for comment ?

27. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I have a different approach on the farm, shoot first and then ring the ph no. on the collar. RIP Tess last week because of irresponsible owner.

28. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Brutal reality. I made noises about a "standard fence" being a dog proof fence when negotiating on the block, fell on deaf ears. My biggest fear, losing a dog due to my neglect.

29. teletripper

teletripper Active Member

For those interested, further advice from NPWS on this matter. From the horses mouth so to speak. Note Q and A's in this link:
    http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/r...es/wild-horse-draft-plan-questions-160300.pdf

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are receiving this email as you have previously had interest or involvement in the community and stakeholder engagement process for the Kosciuszko National Park wild horse management plan review.

In response to a number of submissions and representations from both stakeholder groups and members of the community, the exhibition and submissions period on the Kosciuszko National Park Draft Wild Horse Management Plan has been extended a further 6 weeks, with submissions being accepted until 5.00pm Friday 19th August, 2016.

NPWS will also host a series of community ‘open house’, information and feedback sessions in relation to the draft plan in Tumut, Jindabyne and Queanbeyan and with the extension of the exhibition period, these will now be held in July/August the dates yet to be confirmed. NPWS will also be contacting key stakeholder groups to arrange a series of briefing and feedback sessions in relation to the Draft Plan during the exhibition period. Further details of these will be notified in the near future.

Community, stakeholder and media interest in the draft plan has as expected been high. Unfortunately however there is a great deal of misinformation in regard to the draft plan that has been presented in both media reports and social media. It has been wrongly represented that the draft plan proposes to use aerial shooting or recreational hunters/shooters for ground shooting as control methods for example. In an effort to better inform stakeholders and the community in regard to the draft plan a common Question and Answers section has been added to the ‘Protecting the Snowies’ engagement website.

NPWS understands that this is a very complex issue, with deeply felt emotions from some members of the community.

This complexity is reflected in the draft plan and the detail and length of all of the supporting reports, documents and information. To gain a greater understanding of the issue and its complexity the NPWS recommends that people read all of these documents to gain an informed opinion on the issues involved. It is simply not possible to gain this understanding from a short media article or social media comment.

The extended draft plan exhibition period of now 16 weeks is to allow the public further time to digest all of the information in and associated with the draft management plan.

The community is strongly encouraged to continue to shape the development of this plan and have their say. (at: kosciuszko.wildhorseplan@environment.nsw.gov.au )

The Draft Wild Horse Management Plan and associated documents can be viewed and downloaded online as well as details on how to provide feedback can be found at:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/protectsnowies/

Display hard copies of the draft plan and associated documents are available for viewing at the NPWS Office and Information centres at Tumut, Khancoban, Jindabyne, Queanbeyan, Bombala and the OEH Head Office, Goulburn St, Sydney.

Any general enquiries in regard to the planning process should be forwarded to the KNP wild horse plan mailbox at: Kosciuszko.wildhorseplan@environment.nsw.gov.au

Any media enquiries in regard to the draft wild horse management plan should be made to the OEH Public Affairs Team on Ph. 02 9995 5347

Regards

Mick Pettitt

Regional Manager
    Southern Ranges Region
    NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service

Angus_McCrory and tele-whippet like this.
  30. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

While not about horses exactly, crazy cat lady is now posting about chemtrails in Jindy FB group, apparently I'm one of the "usual shills" for posting pictures of the chemtrail "control" panels. I thought she would appreciate that I was posting proof of one of the deepest held NWO, Military Industrial Complex secrets, apparently not :(:evil:

Vanders, sly_karma, dawooduck and 3 others like this.
  31. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Now she's getting really upset and called us all cowards, shills, payed shills (I probably get singled out for that one after she stalked my LinkedIn page) and have no ethics. I could stir the possum a bit further.... anyone got some good photos of aircraft with chemtrails equipment (I've got one of the interior of an A380 full of water tanks from when they were doing handling qualities testing with varying centre of gravity configurations)

Vanders and sly_karma like this.
  32. teletripper

teletripper Active Member

Update FYI + frequently asked Q & A's. Check the photos and vids!
    http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/protectsnowies/knp-wild-horse-plan-flyer.pdf

NSW NPWS update to the community and stakeholders on the Kosciuszko National Park (KNP) Wild Horse Management Plan Review process. - 11th July, 2016.

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are receiving this email as you have previously had interest or involvement in the community and stakeholder engagement process for the Kosciuszko National Park wild horse management plan review. Thank you for your ongoing interest in the development of the Draft KNP Wild Horse Management Plan.

·The Draft Plan is on public exhibition from 1st May until 19th August, 2016, and during this time the community is encouraged to provide feedback.

·The Draft Wild Horse Management Plan and associated documents can be viewed and downloaded online as well as details on how to provide feedback can be found at:http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/protectsnowies/

·Display hard copies of the draft plan and associated documents are available for viewing at the NPWS Office and Information centres at Tumut, Khancoban, Jindabyne, Queanbeyan, Bombala and the OEH Head Office, Goulburn St, Sydney.

·Further information including a common Question and Answers section (see electronic copy of flyer attached) and videos and images galleryhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/nswnationalparks/collections/72157640487910404/ have recently been added to the websites.

·NPWS are hosting a series of community Open House information sessions in relation to the draft plan in Tumut, Jindabyne and Queanbeyan in late July during the exhibition period. Further details of these are in the attached invitation flyer.

·NPWS are also holding a series of briefing sessions and meeting with key stakeholder groups during the draft plan exhibition period.

·During the plan review and draft exhibition process NPWS will continue to implement the adopted 2008 KNP Wild Horse Management Plan. The winter trapping and removal program in northern KNP has commenced. If stakeholder groups or individuals are interested in rehoming or domestication opportunities for removed horses and have not previously registered their interest with NPWS, please email your contact details including return email, phone and address to the project officer Rob Gibbs at rob.gibbs@environment.nsw.gov.au to receive a rehoming information package and registration of interest form.

·Any general enquiries in regard to the wild horse management planning process should be forwarded to the KNP wild horse plan mailbox at: Kosciuszko.wildhorseplan@environment.nsw.gov.au

·Any media enquiries in regard to the draft wild horse management plan should be made to the OEH Public Affairs Team on Ph. 02 9995 5347

[​IMG] As always, if you have any questions or concerns or would like to discuss any matter relating to the KNP Wild Horse Management Plan Review or wild horse management program, please contact Rob Gibbs, Senior Project Officer, Kosciuszko National Park -Wild Horse Management Plan Review Project at rob.gibbs@environment.nsw.gov.au

Thank you for your continued interest and involvement.

Mick Pettitt,

Regional Manager

NSW NPWS - Southern Ranges Region

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
    If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it immediately.
    Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage.

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  33. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

34. Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Removing the brumbies is madness. It will destroy the delicate balance of the ecosystem. Once the horses are gone the alpine camel population will explode. What then?

Majikthise and Edgecrusher like this.
  35. Tonka

Tonka Active Member

The ABC's Lateline mainly presented one side of the argument. There were some quotes that the horses have been here for 180 - 200 years. European settlement of the Currango area commenced in 1834 when the first cattle were taken to the area. Currango, itself, started in 1851, when Thomas O’Rourke built a small vertical slab home and other structures. I believe horses would have been valuable then, so maybe 100 -150 years would be accurate. Lateline only touched lightly on the environmental damage, water pollution, dust bowls, piles of manure, trampling springs.

Vanders likes this.
  36. skifree

Executing people is part of our heritage, we should bring it back for heritage reasons.

That is as sensible as keeping horses in alpine environments for heritage reasons.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  37. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

not to mention using convicts to do the work

38. cold wombat

39. Undies

Season Pass Gold

I don't understand the point of removing 90% and not the whole lot? If they're a pest (which they are) and they're causing significant damage (which they are), then just remove them so that we can start repairing the environment. Leaving 10% just means that we're having this conversation again in another 10 years.

Telemark Phat and person s like this.
  40. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Human factors are real.

Telemark Phat and person s like this.
  41. Undies

Season Pass Gold

Emotion triumphs over sensibility again.

42. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Depends who's sensibility you want to account for.
    People have different views on heritage and animals and stuff. It's simply an attempt to strike a pragmatic balance.

Telemark Phat and dawooduck like this.
  43. Undies

Season Pass Gold

I get that. But a lot of political capital is being used up, and a lot of money will be spent, for what will be zero gain 10 years from now. What's the point? Let's do it properly and start getting the parks back to where they should be.

44. climberman

Season Pass Gold

I think the proposal seeks to maintain it at ten percent. Would hgave to check though.

Undies likes this.
  45. cold wombat

The last 10% might cost a hell of a lot more to eradicate?

Telemark Phat likes this.
  46. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Prolly that too. usually does. It's certianly described as a heritage / human factors decision though.

47. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

It's described as 600 horses to be maintained in recognition of heritage values. I'm guessing the 600 is considered a genetically viable population.

48. cold wombat

Maybe I'm a cynic but I'd call the heritage type arguments as likely window dressing for "it's too expensive to get every last one of them".

49. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Either way, life's a compromise particularly in such an emotive and political environment and the end result is way way better than the current situation.

50. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe they could just keep the black ones? They look more natural!

Vanders likes this.