Bogong & Feathertop Access /Track reports etc.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Active Member

Bon Accord pretty overgrown currently. Especially the 1.5km between the tree line and Bon Accord Hut ruins, and the first 2km down from the hut ruins towards washington creek.

2. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I went up it and down the BA spur the next day in Sept. 2015 with full white season gear on my back and I didn't find it to be too overgrown. It depends on what you call overgrown. There was no head high post bush fire regrowth sapling hell or blackberry perdition to deal with. It was just the steep bits made an impression.It was very quiet , we saw nobody up there on either days that we were walking along the BA spur. That is part of its appeal. It is a never ending torture track though! ;-P .

3. Thomas WHiteside

Went up Bogong this weekend for the Mt Bogong Club Work Party. Snow poles from CCH to Summit, Summit to Staircase and Eskdale, and Summit to West Peak have all now been straightened / reinforced. Took all of Sunday and 4 teams of 4 - 6 people working with shovels, picks and crow bars. Was a great effort.

4. neilmny

neilmny Active Member

Well done to all ........a great service.

5. Thomas WHiteside

Will be interesting to see how long they stay straight... It's been several years since they were last worked on apparently.

6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

What about the remnants of the Summit cairn to Quartz Ridge track pole line? That should be put back .

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

When I cut through Mt Ck Picnic Gnd on Monday arvo there were lots of cars and some horse floats....did they use some horses to haul stuff around??

Well done to Bogong Club and it's members.....bloody good effort......back braking work...glad it's been brought to attention of forum.So we can applaud their efforts and consider making a contribution when we visit Cleve Cole Hut.....

Those poles have safely guided folk around for a good many years..and I bet prevented many mishaps.....

And obviously Parks Vic must have had a hand in this exercise.....and we appreciate their wisdom and planning!

#257 Ubiquitous Steve, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Thomas WHiteside

No horses were used, and most of the cars at Mountain Creek Picnic group were unrelated to the Bogong Club work party, I think only two groups from the club came up the Staircase (my group being one of them), most members came up from Granite Flat spur, the Eskdale or Long Spur. There was a Parks guy who dropped by and thanked everyone but didn't seem to have been involved in the planning, they just appreciated it. Bogong club also keeps records of its work party attendees to show Parks have active the club still is. I think the official count for this weekend was 38 people.

The Plowking likes this.
  9. Thomas WHiteside

Don't know what the deal is with the Quartz Ridge mine, my group was only working between CCH and Summit...

10. CaptainC

CaptainC Active Member

Just made me think that when I went from Pretty Valley to Youngs Hut a couple of months ago one snow pole was completely down and some others were a bit wonky. Didn't think to report it. Good effort by Bogong Club.

11. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Yes, a number of poles along that route are totally out of action . It makes finding the next one that much harder when visibility has turned to fertilizer.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yes Mt T is correct but Bogong Massive is unforgiving when conditions are bad.....I would much rather be coming past Mt Jim heading towards Youngs or Basalt Temple than caught in really bad weather on Bogong.....I am not aware of to many folk getting lost on Bogong with the poles marking the route from top of Staircase,Eskdale and Granite Flat past Summit and over to Cleve Cole and on too T.spur and Longspur. ...

13. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter Dedicated Member

Happened a few years ago in bad weather (related to me by one of the rescue party) some guys heading for cleve cole took a right at the top of eskdale instead of left. Disoriented, they hunkered down somewhere on the northside of staircase spur. Called for help in the wee hours and when cavalry arrived they were close to hypothermia.

14. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

Bogong produces its own weather. These days I just go up and down the Eskdale, and camp at the treeline, so I can have a safe and quick exit. Given up going across to CC - there always seemed to be a white out on the way back, and I dint really like huts anyway. I have had issues with navigating out to W Peak and back - after the Hooker Plateau, I never quite seem to get it right if I'm trying to follow the lay of the land.

A

15. Mister Tee on snow shoes

In Winter I am also happier snow camping at Michelle hut . A visit to the summit can be quickly aborted back to a safe shelter if it all turns nasty up there.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

One of the ongoing problems at Bogong is a decision to push on when conditions are bad coupled to a lack of experience in recognising ones physical condition.

Aborting is a sound mountaineering decision....those that have climbed from the valley below with packs are tired.....bad conditions and physical exhaustion lead to one thing .......hypothermia......better to turn around and stagger downwards into tree line.....

Better to crash Michelle looking bedraggled and down spirited and get in front of the wood stove...that's the purpose of those Huts.......they bring people out of a downward spiral that means they can no longer look after themselves even when they are carrying the best gear.

Folk that turn back are not wankers but those that have evaluated things and made a good decision.....a decision that I always respect.

17. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

'No' is the most noble word in the mountains.

MarkV, Chaeron and zapruda like this.
  18. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Not sure if a thread exists already...apologies if so....

Good news ...missing pair of bushwalkers found in Tasssie after three days of bad weather...cheers...

And we see one better than that a Taiwanese Trekker got rescued after 47 days trapped in Nepal but girl friend carked it...:thumbs:

#268 Ubiquitous Steve, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  19. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I concur with Ubi. Steve. One should always keep up body warmth and reserves of energy in the mountains in winter. In Summer in the high country you can walk from 7 am til 7 pm if you like but I would rather play it safe in the snow and ice.

20. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

Was up there today - looking good thx. Ground temps. Nice & low - some ice on the path still at midday & frost on the ground in shadow.

21. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Michell hut & surrounds looking good - space enough for quite a few tents atm

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

IMG_0455.JPG Bears on mission....just shot past Eskdale with table 26...we are just losing count now ....sunny and mild no rain on way up from Melb....sunny while having coffee and roll outside Mitta Mitta General Store...

Chaeron likes this.
  23. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Table delivered to Big River Saddle ...now it's top camping there....and Team Bears came over Highplains this evening and put Saw thro wood that had been collected at a couple of Huts close by main drag...still and cold above Falls Ck but we doubt it will go very cold in the early hours...no snow at all up here..

Attached Files:

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well there ain't no snow at Falls Ck.Checked out a few Huts....Langford Gap is still got door off hinges...it needs new door hinges....actual door is ok but hinges are stuffed ...also may need a new door jamb too.We are too busy to do job at moment..can anybody help out ...cos it could be it will stay this way thro winter unless something gets done soon.It was reported on forum some considerable time ago but nothing has changed which is piss poor.....

25. Time

Time Active Member

Dose anyone have an update on road conditions to camp creek gap?
    Also has anyone bene up the staircase or eskdale spur recently?

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Pretty Valley Hut now has some firewood which was uted up from Block24 road.

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Langford has door off hinges....

Attached Files:

28. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Hinge up close looks like

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

30. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

The trouble Steve is you are reporting it in the wrong place. It is a PV asset and maintained by them in conjunction with the Victorian Huts Assoc. All work on huts must be done with knowledge and consent of one of these. I believe the VHA is having its annual meeting in Mansfield shortly. You could send your information to them. No good emailing the Bogong hut maintenance officer as he does not return your email so I would suggest this person next:
    Huts Maintenance Co-ordinator Wayne Peterken hmc@hutsvictoria.org.au
    Failing that you could go to their website and contact one of the committee members. The secretary will respond. You could also speak to PV at Mt. Beauty. Looks to me it needs a bit more than a jamb.

31. Moondog55

Moondog55 Well-Known Member

Non-maintenance of the huts seems to be almost a religious issue with Parks Vic. It seems they would be happier if they were all gone, even the heritage listed ones

32. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

I don't think it matters who fixes the door....as long as it gets back on before winter....my unofficial weather board fixes are still ok on this Hut.....it's an important asset in really bad weather out there...fortunately not much weather comes from Nth/door side.....come to think of it Team Bears have fixed hanypanel twice on that Hut in a fairly robust way....when the weather is blowing like a freight train thro Langford Gap it's nice to have a reasonable place to hold up for a few mins...the pot belly is a mess and should have been replaced moons ago...I forked out for the Cope Saddle one and it's flu moons ago but are not parting with dollars for this one.....yet the Falls Ck to Hotham Walk Concept and Management Plans are eating up scarce funds that could better be used for upkeep of Huts signs and tracks...but I will pass on info to relevant Manager...Looks like Cope Hut has been visited by its Official Team....and all is good out there accept back door latch needs attention.....a simple job for a tradie..the latch just does not quite close to lock door closed....at present I used a Log to keep back door closed....wood shelter doors are all ok..windows ok panels ok.special thanks to those involved in work party.and to those that pulled some firewood in from surrounding bush too..

33. Moondog55

I don't know what the issue is with PV & HCHA but I offered them a half dozen double glazed panels left over from our renovations, 6.3mm laminated on the outside so strong enough. I offered to drive them up to to the Mt Beauty office and neither the huts association or Parks were interested.
    I'll take your little block splitter up with me to leave in the hut when I come up Steve

34. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yes good one Moondog....
    two little weather boards need replacing on the open areas of PV Hut.which I will do when I return shortly....weatherboards on Main part of Hut are good....so Team Bears got a reasonable supply of wood which we can brake down over next couple of weeks...at least with hand a hand saw folks have a supply....no tools are present at Pretty Valley.....sometimes best to hide hatchets axes and saws and bring them out when roads are closed with snow....there was heaps of action on Block 24 Rd with folk cutting fallen timber on side of road way...we just drove along and threw whole bits on to ute....but all went for public cause.....we found that Cope Hut has a good 30inch bow saw....we found we had a new blade that was behind dash board and also left that there........in comming weekends we will visit Cope Saddle and Ryder's Huts and fossick for firewoood and leave the usual treats(candles,dunny rolls,matches,firefighters,spare Saw blades etc..)we usually inspect for damage and do what we can on subsequent trips...

35. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

P

36. Moondog55

I'm tired of bow saws and the way the blades twist and break; I now buy the cheap Jack rip saws at $8- each from Bunnys

#286 Moondog55, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  37. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Now you know this is not true. Work has been carried out on many huts. Wallaces had an extensive refit and given PV advertise a heritage hut walk then it is obvious they have an interest in preserving them, however, it is up to those with the purse strings to provide the money. For the most all work is carried out by volunteers and is funded by donations, grants or out of their own pocket. If you are keen to see the huts kept in good order then get involved with VHA or report the damage to them. It certainly does matter who does the work as these efforts should be co-ordinated and not conducted in a random way by any person who feels they have the skills to hang a door. PV assist with helicopter drops of materials when road access is not available. This is usually done annually in conjunction with other projects the helicopters are involved with such as the toilet cleanouts. Last year they flew tonnes of sand and cement into Cleve Cole so the stones could be re-pointed and the steps finished. Big thanks to PV for this assistance as I did not feel like carrying it in.

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

It's a bit hard to accept that Langford Gap door has been off for considerable time....and no action taken on it yet.....a small but important job.....about five mins drive from Falls Ck on flat bitumen...so no doubt Parks are aware of it ...nobody should have to tell them...it's not as if you cannot see it from a management vehicle....no helicopters necessary....half hour job for tradie.... maybe Team Bears will leave this job for Parks Staff...and we will wait to see when and if it gets done....
    We all remember the winter in which the window was busted at Cope Hut and it stayed busted all winter till the Rovers came up with a plan ...and fixed it themselves...

39. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

We are able to praise Parks Vic when they do good things....but at other times the organisation is a little baffling!

Team Bears did a pretty ordinary fix on the busted glass window at Blairs..two bits of handy panel outside and inside protecting hands from glass edges and fixing the window for winter 2016....
    Looked a bit rough but very effective at keeping weather out...

Just before Queens Birthday Weekend last year....a multitude of A Listers some from Parks Vic and other govt bodies came and looked and left an entry in Log book but did not bother to fix the goddam busted window......so sometimes it's better to do things yourself as it will not get done....of course they were preparing for the iconic Walk management plan and could not deal with such a trifalling issue....!

40. Moondog55

I have done a lot of volunteer work around the traps but muy recent experience with PV associated volunteer work left a very sour taste in my mouth. I was coming up for the Hawkweed count and at the last minute I was asked to sign an agreement that for the duration of the progrwm I would toatally abstain from smoking and the use of alcohol, one of the few pleasure left to me these days is the quiet glass of port after dinner around the fire and when I said I wasn't going to sign said agreement and that there would be no open fires at all I was told [ quite rudely I thought] that my assistance and expertise was not therefore required

coolair likes this.
  41. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I have to laugh. The worst taste in my mouth I can ever remember is when I gave a smoker mouth to mouth. Took me days to get rid of it. Not sure what was happening with that Hawkweek program but the other programs have all been fine with a drink and smoke. The volunteers needed to fix the huts are with the VHA not Parks so if you are concerned then join VHA and stop blaming Parks for not fixing huts. Or you could start blaming the VHA.

Chaeron likes this.
  42. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I was up at Langford Gap hut in Late Jan. 2017 and the door was stuffed. It is still rogered and it seems it will stay that way. :-(

43. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Road conditions to Camp Creek Gap very good (as of 2 weekends ago) reasonably freshly graded, no fallen timber, road surface reasonably firm. I went up via Granite Flat track (also in good shape) - by the looks of the top part of Eskdale it's had a recent trim.

44. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

Parks Vic have regularly over the past few years visited Ropers', Kelly's, Cleve Cole & Edmondson huts, helped there & elsewhere (Howitt/ Feathertop with dunny & tank & track & surroundings 'maintenance' - & have also recently woked on feral control & also (minimal) snowpole maintenance - the hut logbooks reflect these visits over the past few years, so it's hard to dispute this, politics, ideology & management flights of fancy aside. Budgets, political neglect, bushfire damage repair priorities- huge area to serve. Also the record shows Parks Vic seem very happy to facilitate interested vested interests willing to do hut maintenance properly and responsibly on a sustained, rather than ad hoc basis. I have no interest in defending Parks Vic - but they should be given their due, alongside DSE & Vicroads who are all doing a great deal to manage the Alps. OK, the blackberries all over still get me riled & I'd love more & better track maintenance, but it is what it is - the bush!

45. Chaeron

Season Pass Gold

With thanks to youtube op Alex Stumpf

46. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Excellent words. I will get stuck into PV when they deserve it but after having significant involvement with local crews then I only have compliments for these guys and the work they do. The ranger from Gabo Island came over recently to lead a volunteer crew clearing blackberry and track on the AAWT near Mt. Wills. He may have volunteered his time for this as well. Being part of the solution is far more positive than complaining. I share information with them regularly about track conditions or problems in areas. Some things can be attended to quickly and others have to wait. The clearing of Quartz ridge is one example which was acted on after I spoke with them and replacing the chain at T spur/Big river crossing is another. T spur and Duanne are cleared every year and that is no small effort. Another project officer walked 10km with me to spray a large patch of Broom I found. It is important for those working on the huts to have appropriate skills so the work is safe and in keeping with the structure. The chimney on the Bentley Plain Hut (near Moscow villa) was repaired incorrectly with the flue running directly on the outside wall. It caused a fire in the roof which could have burnt it down. The DELWP crew who went out to repair it again were going to make the same mistake and fortunately I had someone with me that day who knew and he stopped them. It is easy to see the bad things and they tend to form our opinion of the whole organisation. Well done Chareon for all your work and good on you Steve for your relentless individual efforts on these tracks. I am sure someone with Steve's passions could also be of valuable use with the hut maintenance.

47. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Thread needs moar maps. Click on each image for much bigger*...............

* seems that functionality has been nobbled. @Richard ?

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  48. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Testing. Slightly smaller image.

Attached Files:

49. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yes it's true Parks Vic do some excellent work.....but at times the decision making is as stated baffling...

I can see Moondog has good reason to be aggrieved for his treatment:most forms of social engineering are abhorrent...

I could never see Team Bears signing any agreement form with Parks Vic.before conducting a work party.

But we see Parks are moving in a good direction that uses community resources and involves them in restoration and hut rebuilding programs..
    And we know first hand how difficult track clearing can be when huge trees fall over tracks ...we suppose that DSE crews must carry a hand winch at times to move some huge logs sidewise...

Team Bears still very skeptical over Iconic Walk Falls to Hotham and the waste of funds required to produce management plans....scarce monies need to be used in basic maintenance projects.

We might rethink the use of bowsaws given the expertise proferred by
    Moondog.

If the truth be known those little SEC Huts that have served to provide shelter for so many years must be structurally nearing their used by date....we would welcome a replacement in keeping with the overall look of the original Huts. Some corporate groups could easily donate a whole new Hut for replacement ....allowing them to receive acknowledgement for their gifts with a small plaque..And as we have observed with all rebuilds...attention needs to be given to maximise insulation and natural sunlight.....preserve the past but incorporate some of the new technology too.

And for the life of me I cannot understand why Parks do not have a visitor centre in Falls Ck or Hotham....somewhat like Sawpit Ck KNP....maybe in the distant future one will be established with pics,maps,information.Perhaps the very fast train has more chance of flying than this concept though.

#299 Ubiquitous Steve, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  50. Mister Tee on snow shoes

:p