Question Blue Mountain Mysteries

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Thomas WHiteside, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Active Member

Hey all,

Was away this weekend hiking in the blue mountains, went down the golden stairs thena cross past ruined Castle and up to Mt Solitary, camped at Chinman's gully then back to Katoomba via Scenic World and up the Furber steps.

Anyway, encountered two interesting things.

Firstly, at Chinaman's Gully there was a homemade memorial cross to a guy who died at Mt Solitary in 1994 by the name of Gregory Linden Pring. Does anyone know anything about what happened? can't find anything online, so I'm guessing it might have been a suicide.

Secondly, on the track near Scenic World there's an old car engine on the side of the track, and an old car wreck up the hill sitting in the trees. The car had obviously been wrecked and the engine eventually fallen out. Does anyone know anything about this wreck?

#1 Thomas WHiteside, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

3. Thomas WHiteside

Yeh, this is the only thing I've found. Doesn't tell us much though.

4. Thomas WHiteside

Here's an older photo I found of the memorial cross online. However, the cross is not longer wired to this tree and is now propped up between another tree and the rock face which looms over the campsite. The grey colouring of the lateral cross has also faded considerably.

5. Thomas WHiteside

For what's worth, I put Gregory into ancestry.com and found him listed in electoral records.

There's a Gregory Linden Pacific Pring recorded as being enrolled to vote in Byron Bay, NSW in 1977 and Springwood, NSW (a small town in the Blue Mountains) in 1980.

That's all that came up though.