Big White 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bigwhite-rameok, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bigwhite-rameok

bigwhite-rameok Active Member

2. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

3. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Post above copied from Flights forum.

I looked at a range of sources to choose accommodation for my SP trip. The resort website should have an accommodation page or link. Some of the properties listed there will have their own website that may offer a better deal. In my case, one of the properties at Sun Peaks that I'm looking at offers a 20% discount for season lift pass holders. As I'm staying for more than 2 weeks, an earlybird season pass is a no-brainer and the discount on the accommodation more than covers the cost of the pass.

Then there are the usual range of booking engines:

booking.com, expedia, tripadvisor etc
    airbnb, vrbo.com

I could enter Sun Peaks as my intended location in these engines, presumably Big White would be valid as well.

Then there are the usual travel agents, Flight Centre are promoting ski packages ATM and another one that's often recommended here is Travelplan. You may get a flight and accommodation package for less than you'd pay organising them separately.

Finally, you may get personal recommendations from other forumites who've been to BW before, hence replying to your post here instead of the Flights forum. :)

Enjoy!

4. Spielmeister

Spielmeister Active Member

Libelle, we were recommended to look at Chalets at Big White and they seem to be a bit cheaper than BW central reservations. I've emailed them a couple of times for quotes and they get back to me pretty promptly. Just remember when comparing prices that you have to take into account that the prices you see from Canadian websites won't have the taxes (and there are a few, not just GST) applied to them yet. That happens at the checkout. We have been getting quotes from Travelplan as well and while I'm not always keen to go with these types of companies they have proven to be very competitive. So much so that we are close to booking with them.

5. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Well-Known Member

We have always used Travel Plan, and we have found them to be cheaper than doing it all ourselves. You probably could beat their quotes by looking at accommodation a bit further from the village centres, but then you may not have real ski in ski out or the convenience of proximity to shopping, lifts, eating out etc.

Spielmeister likes this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I don't always use them, but I will always get a quote from Travelplan and ask them if they can match or beat any better deal.

7. Crystal

We have found you can't beat Travelplan on most accommodation, that said we don't use them every year as we sometimes book through friends and also head to the more smaller remote places where Travelplan does not have any contracts set up.

8. Libelle

Libelle Active Member

Thanks Spielmeister and Crystal.
    We have locked in the airfares, now so the hunt for accommodation is on. I have some quotes from Big White Central Reservations and also from Ski Travel Company, their quotes seem to lower than BWCR by a good amount (and I have used them on numerous occasions with good results) [Not advertising just facts]. But will have a look at Travel Plan as well. The early bird season pass at Big White looks to be good value ($629 CAD), as we have 15 ski days.

9. Spielmeister

Yep, the season pass is the better way to go for that length of time. If you're group is a family you get a family discount as well as the early-bird discount. Pretty good deal.

10. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Also have a look at ownerdirect.com. We booked for jan17 10 nights 2 bedroom apt ski in/out $1700

11. Rowdy1

Rowdy1 Active Member

we used ownerdirect.com to book in January for 8 nights, $1700 (CAD).

12. Crystal

We've used Owner Direct numerous times at BW, great deals.

13. Research101

Research101 Active Member

14. Libelle

Libelle Active Member

Thanks for that R101
    Booked via Alluradirect, about 1K cheaper than local quotes...

Crystal likes this.
  15. Research101

Research101 Active Member

Glad to hear, yes the prices look pretty sharp and I think dealing direct with owners gives good scope for bargaining especially if you staying longer
    hope all goes well, havn't been to BW yet, hopefully sooner than later

16. Crystal

we are also dealing direct with Owner at Apex......much much cheaper.

17. KneeDeep

KneeDeep Dedicated Member

I hear there is very cheap accommodation down in Penticton! Lol

sly_karma and Crystal like this.
  18. Crystal

heheheheeee will cost wine/beer and spirits though. I am sure that particular lodge also includes wild Canadian salmon dinners in the tariff.

sly_karma likes this.
  19. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yep salmon was on the menu last night.

Crystal likes this.
  20. Spielmeister

Now it's official. Got the accommodation booked. 10 nights from the 9th Jan. :thumbs:

Crystal likes this.
  21. Woolie

Woolie Active Member

Me too. Accom booked for 10 nights starting on the 11th Jan. Ended up getting season passes. When you buy a few 50% off lessons it makes the season pass good value.

22. Spielmeister

Yep gonna get the season passes as well.

23. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

I'm not sure about Big White, but in every resort in which I have had one a season pass entitles you to discounts on things ranging from accommodation, gear hire or purchase and even meals. Typically 10% +/-. Worth examining and factoring in, particularly when looking at early purchase deals. The bucks usually make sense at much less than a couple of weeks.

24. Spielmeister

The BW season pass has plenty of discounts as well on all sorts of things. If your about break even on the season pass vs daily passes which it was for us then the extra discounts make it the way to go.

25. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Plus it takes the pressure off to ski all day every day. If the weather is less than stellar it's not such a big deal to have a second coffee and relax.

26. Spielmeister

Was thinking exactly that :thumbs:

27. sperks

sperks Active Member

Saw an article about the Masters week anyone participated ? Thinking about it as I'm a solo traveller

28. Crystal

Have friends who do the masters programs there each year at BW...they love it.

29. Woolie

Woolie Active Member

Guys. What sort of layering would you need for kids (10-11) in mid Jan at Big White? When skiing in Aus we usually just put the kids in long thermals with their ski pants/jackets over the top. Is it as simple as adding as fleece under the jacket or would you think they need more? They a pretty active skiers but the younger one is built like a greyhound so is prone to the cold.

30. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

My rule of thumb in Canada is one more layer, but mileage may vary. Just keep an eye on the kids and ask them if they are cold, then adjust.

31. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Really simplistic answer, but it depends how cold it is! BC interior resorts usually aren't too cold, so often Legs Akimbo's advice of just one more layer will be spot on. Obviously if it is -20, the kids are likely to need another layer again.

32. Crystal

Hot pads in the mitts for the greyhound ......will work a treat.

33. Snowfi

Snowfi Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

This. In my experience (Masters Mondays where I join them for lunch and Ladies Day) the people are a friendly bunch and there will be plenty of other solo travellers or locals. Hear many people raving about it and making many new friends. They only use the best instructors too, otherwise the masters have been known to revolt. My dad has done it before and I think will be doing it again next year (Mum will be there but not skiing).

34. Snowfi

Snowfi Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Quality balaclavas even if the sun is out. You can get 'hinged' ones which are more comfortable. We usual take/buy two outfits per kid, a Aldi one with thermals and fleece for 0 to -6 days, and a warmer outfit for colder days. Double up the thermals if necessary. A wind-fleece can be handy. My kids got coldest tubing in the evenings, so that's when we would use the hotties. Make sure everything is dry before they head out. Enjoy!

35. Snowfi

Snowfi Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Damn, now I want to go....

36. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

We will be there from the 12th of jan, how early should we book the shuttle from Kelowna and do they pick up from hotels.

37. Spielmeister

If you want a private transfer there are a couple of outfits in Kelowna to go with. Discover Okanagan Tours is an operator that came highly recommended to me as they will do a one hour grocery stop on the way up the hill which was important to us however when I went to book over a month ago they were already booked out for the couple of dates I wanted to use them for in mid-Jan. Have a feeling the Big White-based shuttles can be booked considerably closer to your required date. From what I've read it seems as though they will send a vehicle big enough to cater for however many they need to transport on that pickup and I think it only picks up from the airport then straight up the hill. I'm a BW first-timer so the info on their service is only from what I have gleaned from online info. Hopefully someone here can confirm or correct my info. BTW will be in BW from the 9th Jan for 10 nights.

38. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks, we should meet up we are there for 10 nights also From what i can see they only pickup from the airport which would mean we have to get transport from our hotel back to the airport and we are not sure if we will be taking our skis with us as we will be coming from LA (taking the kids to Disneyland ) so that would mean not being able to take a cab but having to book another shuttle.

39. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

It's North America. Ask and you will usually get. It depends on the diversion, but Kelowna is not that big a town. They might be able to pick you up on the way down to or up from the airport.

40. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks. I will send them an email and see what they say.

41. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Season Pass Gold

BW is a grand place.

42. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

43. Woolie

Woolie Active Member

Vibe. I looked into this and according to the website the BW shuttle also pick up at the Bus Terminal in Leckie Rd Kelowna. The Best Western Kelowna is right next door. If you were staying there it would be easy to catch the BW shuttle. It also seems to have grocery and other shopping centres close by. We ended up hiring a car at Vancouver and will drive out over 2 days so did not go down that path.

44. Spielmeister

Yep, meet up would be good. Good for the kids to have some others to get around with for a bit. Have a girl 13 and boy 11.

45. Woolie

Woolie Active Member

Thanks team for the advise re layering.... I will start out with the 1 extra layer and work up from there. Great thing about the accom location we can always drop by and get extra if needed...I am planning on making sure we get good quality accessories like mitts, balaclavas etc...

46. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

My girl is 11 and boy 9 i think they would enjoy having someone else to pal around with ,we will definitely meet up.

47. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks for that. We are staying at the Ramada lodge.

48. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Such a subjective question. The answer is different for everyone. I'll be on my 28th season pass in Canada this coming winter, and I think I've maybe worn a balaclava maybe twice in that time. Pretty sure I no longer even own one. Yet some of my friends ski in them all the time. I made a post a while back called 'adaptive clothing'. It addresses the question asked here.

49. Spielmeister

That sounds great. Keep in touch.

vibe++ likes this.
  50. vibe++

vibe++ Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Getting excited