1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

Big W / Aldi Snow gear

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Born2ski, May 21, 2013.

parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Got the backpack for everyday use, looks good.
    soza

soza Member

jeez for someone who grew up in UK sleding down hills on everything from plastic bags to a car bonnet seems a bit weird that a purpose made Aldi sled is banned from use.

Anyway, Aldi in Wodonga has heaps of stuff left. The jackets and pants looked quite good.

On the subject of chains, I am after some 205/70 R15 all I could find in Aldi were 205/70 R14......was going to buy n try or am I wasting my time? do I need an exact match?
    Another bad winter habit of growing up in the UK.... never seen a set of chains before....was a case of wait for the council to clear and grit the road or dump the car when you couldn't go any further.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

14" on a 15" isn't going to fit (safely). You can buy others new for around $130 or maybe seconhand Konigs (eBay) for less.

I've gone the other way and resized my Aldi 4WD chains from 235/65/18 to 235/65/17, using a hammer, masonary chisel and boltcutters. I was surprised how hardened the steel links are. I wouldn't do it again. If they break, I still have 4WD to continue.

Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Season Pass Holder

It's only banned at resorts, just like the car bonnet would be.

You could pull up anywhere outside the resorts in NSW and use the Aldi Sled or a car bonnet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

and if no-ones on the Nordic Tracks ...
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

a) I said Victorian resorts
    b) I am merely warning people (not the regulars here) who think they will be able to take their Aldi bought toboggans to Lake Mountain, Baw Baw, Buller, Hotham or Falls and then get upset that they can't use them on the resort toboggan runs. It's better that people are aware of that before they purchase, don't you think?
    mauricem

mauricem Well-Known Member

Snow chains are optimistically sized. The 4wd one was a struggle to tension tight enough on 245/70/16. Other similar designs have an option on where to attach the first link on the outside of the wheel, not so on the Aldi ones, at least not without modifying them in ways not intended by the manufacturer.

The instructions dont match the product either, pictures and text reference chain colors which are not found on the product! No big deal if you work it out before hand but wouldnt want to be trying to fit them for the first time on a dark snowy night relying on the instructions.
    On the plus side once you work through these nuances they're quick and easy to fit, much easier than the ladder chains supplied with NZ hire cars which is my only other experience.

The ski bag seems fine, nothing special and no roll to length option, just fold the excess flap over and secure with strap, duct tape, whatever..
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

I think it is a good idea to let people know that resorts won't let them use the Aldi sleds before they buy them. Thanks Teckel.

Out of interest what sleds can you use at Victorian resorts ? And why are these sleds any safer than the Aldi ones ?
    Donza

Donza Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Australia...bans spider chains and sleds..for a country with .2% snow coverage. The litigation seems hilarious. Btw I rate the Aldi ones way way safer than the "legal" ones. Particulary the snow bike.
    Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Season Pass Holder

I would sooner get hit with a runaway 'legal' sled than an Aldi with all the sticky out metal and timber bits!
    Charlie

Oops! obviously the OLD Aldi sleds had the sticky outy bits, but their toboggans apparently are too slick, and go too fast, and have a pointy front!
    teckel

Vic resort regs state 'moulded plastic'. None of these are moulded plastic. Bike is metal. Spinner thingys take three people and have no directional control - ie: they move out of control with the weight of 3 people.
    Donza

Hey tecks....for someone that bemoans the nanny state you seem incredibly anal in this case. Maybe we need Jeff kennet to overhaul sled standards. Ala breadgate. The bike has so much more control than any pop out plastic pos. In Japan they litterally have every sort of snow device on earth. I did countless hours with poppy lapping the sled carpet. The bikes were great. The gave control.
    teckel

Imagine a 14 year old kid on that bike on the toboggan slope where there are hundreds of kids, including 2 year olds lying in the snow! Anyone's nightmare. This isn't nanny state stuff - it's avoiding inevitable deaths and serious accidents.
    Donza

Not sure if you've been to Aldi...nor inspected sleds?
    TOFF

TOFF Old And Crusty Moderator

How is that different to a 14 year old on a toboggan hitting a 2 year old lying in the snow?
    Donza

Moulded plastic have directional nor no stopping devices. The bike poppy was on in Japan had both. You fall off. The ski brake enabled. You see a obstacle you turn to avoid.
    teckel

Donza. Read this:

I did not ban them

I am merely stating the decision of Snowsafe. I have no input into that. I am just the messenger.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

So these are moulded plastic, are they acceptable in Vic resorts ?

[​IMG]
    teckel

FFS. Do not blame me. I thought I said when I first said it, that I was providing the information as a service to the public. And then you're the same people who whinge when there's poor service. Isn't it better for people to know before they buy something that won't be allowed, than to find out when they try to use it and get into trouble from the toboggan police?

Anyway Donza & B2S, what's your problem? You're not in Victoria and you're not tobogganers.
    Donza

you didn't ban spiderchains either. Personally the evolution of sleds has continued OS in snowy climes. While here in aus we are stuck in 1995. Typical.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    teckel

OS - they have kilometres of wide long uncrowded sled runs. And people toboggan in their own backyards. Australian tobogganing has nothing in common with OS tobogganing.
    Donza

Hey tecks ...do you rent moulded plastic sleds? If you do ,Would your business be affected by Aldi?
    teckel

Yes, of course - just as my business is affected by all Melbourne snow retailers. But I'm still just the messenger. It's not my decision. What part of that don't you understand?

BTW, I'm not the only renter of moulded plastic toboggans on this forum.
    Donza

not sure if been OS? In Europe you can sled on a metal runner sled...tanked after dinner...Japan. areas of crowded sled slopes. All free.....snow toys piled high. Magic carpet included.
    teckel

Donza. Forget it. No more input from me on this thread. You're being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.
    Donza

ok. If the regulatory body approached you for advice...feedback re other toboggan designs. What would you say?
    SnowTragic

SnowTragic Well-Known Member

FYI - Perisher

Toboggans are prohibited on all Perisher ski slopes and should only be undertaken at the designated toboggan slope located beside Perisher Valley Car Park on Pipers Ridge. Tobogganing can be dangerous and like all alpine activities involves inherent risks. For your safety please obey all signage when tobogganing or on or about the toboggan slope. From time to time, the toboggan slope may be closed due to insufficient snow depth or inclement weather. Toboggans are available from Perisher Snowsports Hire located in the Perisher Centre.

Pretty sure from memory the signage at the toboggan slope makes mention of moulded plastic only.
    Donza

Yeah moulded plastic there ...only. lemmings with moonboots. The irony is tube town is one of the most dangerous....and profitable areas on the hill.
    smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty

give me japan any day, with 5 year old kids hooting down main ski slopes on toboggans. Aus has gone mad.
    HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

You'd be shocked seeing what the helicopter parents are demanding at preschools these days.

...cctv
    ...2yr olds with mobile's so mummy and daddy can call to see if they are okay
    ...no assistance with wiping of children's bottoms because the carer/teacher may be a child molester

Yep, barking mad world we live in.
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

I did say thanks to you on my previous post and I meant it. I agree people should know that Vic resorts won't allow the Aldi sleds. And actually I do go tobogganing most years, just not at Victorian resorts.

What I'm trying to understand now is the logic behind the Vic resorts decision.
    Charlie

The fact that the moulded toboggans can't be steered is what makes them safe. They follow the fall line of the slope, and any collisions are glancing. A steerable toboggan or bike can go anywhere and take out others all over the slope.
    Donza

BS. You need to roll with some kids. Whats next...non steerable pushbikes?
    smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty

right so a toboggan you can't steer is safer than one where you can control the direction it goes? Maybe we should take the steering wheel out of cars to make them safer.
    absentskier

absentskier Addicted Member

Wow this read went off course quickly! [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    rollyz

rollyz Dedicated Member

Aldi sleds will be allowed to be used at the Bathurst SnowPark.
    Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Season Pass Holder

Non steerable skis. I could lose my heel push.
    Donza

[​IMG]

Looks fun as to me.
    absentskier

Donza I think you may exceed the 40kg limit.
    Donza

what ? you calling me "LARGE"?

thats it
    Now these are scary. Do not njoy.

[​IMG]
    absentskier

That's just wrong. How tall you are you? 155cm?
    Donza

me? [​IMG] no.
    5'8 or 5'9" in heels

those tubes are dangerous...
    Born2ski

Born2ski Addicted Member

Mate that's because you weren't wearing a helmet.

Our extreme sledding requires all the safety equipment to be worn. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

In PB/Smigs resort restriction is not going to stop anything. Seems a case of just park nearby & go. Near the back end of the Smigs carpark used to be a convienient spot. The Mountain Operations guys aren't seen often these days. Anyway, tobogganing starts down at Dainers Gap.
    sixty_eight

sixty_eight Dedicated Member

You can snow bike at Falls Creek, just have to pay them for the privilege.

SNOW BIKES (2013)
    •Day Session $39 for one hour guided session
    •Snow Bike down Wombats Ramble
    •Day Sessions 1.30-2.30pm or 2.30-3.30pm
    •Day sessions require valid Lift Pass
    •Night Session $41 and includes Night Ski pass
    •Night Session 5.30-6.30pm and 6.30-7.30pm
    •Groups are minimum 2 people, maximum 4 people
    •Bookings on 1800 20 44 24 or 03 5758 1070.
    •Subject to snow and weather conditions
    •Reloadable RFID Media card required for this product. Cost $3.00

•* For guests 15 years and over
    weerab

weerab Dedicated Member

it,s a shame that the Aldo roller bags don,t rol up at the top end like the douche bags. The bag is about 200cm long so if your skis are 180cm you end up with a 20 cm flopping around near the handle. Any thoughts, am I missing something. Amy comments from people who have bought them?
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

Take it back and buy a real one?!?!?!?

[​IMG]
    teckel

weerab, Aldi stocks stuff that they think will sell, not stuff that is thought about. They're after the impulse buyer; they're after your cash. They really don't give 2 hoots about the gear, so long as they have your money. If you want good stuff, don't expect it for peanuts. If you find a use for Aldi stuff, you're in front [​IMG] If the quality is OK and it's useful, you're doing really well.
    Donza

You've really got a beef for a company thats helping the australian snow industry.