News Austria avalanche: Four skiers dead in Tyrol

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Charles, Mar 16, 2017.

Charles

Charles Active Member Season Pass Gold

Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Heinz

Yes, of course. If it is news from Austria I always find it best to go to the local source. I didn't have time to provide any translation and several people here read German in any case.

:thumbs: teckel likes this.
    Heinz

Initially I was going to say this was hardly surprising given the high avalanche rating for the region (as CM reported recently). However reading the report the general rating had come down, but that particular slope was steep (40 deg) and north facing and that it was an old snow problem with weak layers typical for this season and common for this particular slope (was a big slide last year also), so was a poor choice for touring.

It was a Swiss group with a qualified guide. The slide was 700m with a 2m crown - that is a lot of snow!

3 of the bodies were found 8m deep and the 4th eventually 5 hours later 12m down!! Clearly there was no chance of them ever being recovered alive no matter how quick the rescue was. A helicopter was there in 6 mins and there were 56 people called in to search.

Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Heinz