Question Auckland or Christchurch? No skiing.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by BoofHead, Sep 29, 2016.

BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

i have the option of a couple of days in Auckland or a couple of days in Christchurch. Weekend.
    Any opinions on which city might be best for a look around probably with no car?
    I've been to Christchurch myself and will probably go again next year during Winter but my travel buddy hasn't been to NZ before.
    Cheers

Annitowa

Annitowa Active Member Season Pass Gold

go to Chch, auckland is just a big city could be in melbourne except for the fact the locals talk funny

:thumbs: JoeKing likes this.
    Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Is there a third option?

:thumbs: Seth likes this.
    GlenH

GlenH Active Member Season Pass Silver

Auckland does have a nice harbour and some development around that. It is a far bigger city than Christchurch, depending on what you are looking for. I hear locals say CHC still hasn't fully recovered from the earthquakes.

BoofHead

Not really. Daughter and I have just booked a relocation camper van. Pickup is in Christchurch, 5 days to cruise up to Auckland. Was thinking of spending a day or two at one or the other. I'm thinking she will like Christchurch as well be there on the weekend and there are a few markets on which she likes.
    Plus we will probably be sick of one another by end of trip at Auckland.

Haven't thought too much about the in between either.

BoofHead

Will do some googling. Might be worth renting a sea kayak to poke around the harbour.

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Ferry out to the bay (auckland) and hike one of the little volcanos
    Did it years back, nice day out

:thumbs: BoofHead likes this.
    Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

Without a car, I'd say Auckland (though it grieves me to say it). Christchurch is stunning, but it's mostly the surrounding environment rather than the city centre that you'd go to see, and without a car it'll be hard to access. Auckland is probably a little easier to explore without a car.

And yes, the ferry out to Rangitoto Island and hike up the volcano is very pleasant.

:thumbs: Snow Blowey and piolet like this.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

That's the one!

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Now is the best time for Christchurch Botanic Gardens / Hagley park. Spring blossoms everywhere.

:thumbs: Annitowa likes this.
    Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

Book your ferry trip.

Whale watching at Kaikoura. Black water rafting at Waitomo. Nose holding at Rotorua. Jet boat at Taupo.

Dumph

Dumph Active Member

Dunedin

:thumbs: freddy, ScottGN and Red_switch like this.
    tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker Season Pass Gold

Go for a day trip out to Akaroa from Chch.

:thumbs: Gimp likes this.
    d'girl

d'girl Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

never been to Auckland but went to Christchurch in 2014. Was an unforgettable experience in good and also emotional ways. The Earthquake museum was well worth the money even though it left me quite "shaken" for a few days afterwards. It really brings to light what they went through. Had one of my top 3 favourite restaurant dining experiences . I would love to go back.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Christchurch, pumping any money into their economy I'd think is welcome, support the rebuild of a beaut city.

:thumbs: Annitowa and d'girl like this.
    pedub

pedub Active Member

Would not put Auckland high on the list of priorities for tourists... but if its just a weekend then the city has a lot more going on than in Chch I bet.

I think the best parts of NZ are south of Christchurch or north of Auckland :D *

* except Able Tasman national park

ScottGN

ScottGN Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Auckland has Waiheke Island which tends to have a brighter, sunnier microclimate than the city itself.
    Piha and the West Coast surf beaches - you don't have black ironsand like that in Australia - hard to do without a car though.
    As mentioned the ferry to Rangitoto and a (reasonably easy) hike up through its volcanic stonefields to the summit.
    Cultural attractions, museums, galleries and theatre etc are a step up in Auckland as you'd expect with its more international outlook and are comparable with Australia's cities.

:thumbs: essjaywhy likes this.
    Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture 30 Day Pass

If you're gonna be somewhere for a short period of time, then Auckland isn't a terrible option.

BoofHead

Thanks for advice Guys. Looking like we will spend a weekend or thereabouts at both. first weekend at Christchurch, 5 days to relocate campervan, finish off having a squiz at Auckland.

freddy

freddy Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

in chch, You can catch a bus out to Redcliffs etc. It is quite nice out there.

Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Auckland sucks. This is from a ex kiwi.

BoofHead

I cancelled the trip.

:thumbs: Red_switch and Ajmit321 like this.