Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'United States' started by Astro66, Jan 4, 2017.
I hope it's not in the skin tracks
Woohoo! I'll take that as gospel! Very excited!
The poor locals. They’ve just been hit by this blizzard, then just as they’re recovering they’ll be hit by you two
I hope Ben’s knee is OK. If it had to happen and cause the cancellation of your Zermatt trip, then this isn’t a bad year for it. A lot of European resorts seems to be struggling, while other parts like Rome, Greece amongst others, have snow and freezes way beyond average. Family currently in Rome says it’s bitterly cold and everything is frozen solid!
I’ll be at Lake Tahoe from Feb 16. I was planning to spend half there, then head to Colorado in early March. I might just stick to Tahoe and hop from resort to resort around there. This is Tamarack Lodge at the top of the Gondola. We won’t be having drinks there for awhile.
Previous post is replying to @Johnb007
I have just this minute decided to go to Iceland and Germany from the 13th Feb till 1st March on a non skiing trip. Ben is going to Nicaragua from around the 10th to the 20th Feb. Sooo we will be sking Tahoe before you arrive (I hope it is stll there for you after our visit ) and then early March. Maybe we can catch up then. Colorado, Utah and Wyoming are getting good snow too but not in epic amounts like Tahoe. However it is drier snow. Lets chat in late Feb to see if we are around in the same place in early March to we can cause havoc together!
You can say that again
Bloody shitware on an Android tablet . Not my bloody fault. But I was able to delete the 2 duplicate posts. They were only for rime noreason anyway.
Turns out the issue is with the website. People can not load photos, people having duplicate posts etc. Maybe the epic Tahoe snow has buried the software!
I'm keeping an eye on the road closures. There seems to be a heap of chain warnings all around Tahoe, and they're mainly for all but 4WD with SNOW tyres. As we are picking up the car in LA I doubt we will get anything better than all weather tyres, and it looks like rentals don't allow chains. Fortunately we have a few days at both ends to get from/to LA.
I've been following the Heavenly situation, & it looks like they've been having some serious power issues as well. Fingers crossed that it all settles down in the 3 weeks before we arrive. It seems diabolical that they haven't been able to fully open in the past few years due to not enough snow, and now there is too much.
On a jet plane!
See you soon, Steveo!
Just got to Heavenly. Stardust Lodge is beautiful. 50 metres from gondola. Room is great. Thanks @rime noreason for the reference. Kenny says he has your wine.
Blackout day today. So on first lifts tomorrow. See you in the evening.
Too bad, I'm back in boring Aus. Have fun...
Well ........... what a glorious day. Sun and Scenery was just breath taking. As Greggz and his ski buddy weren't showing up till tonight. Mrs Astro called a family day. And Heavenly delivered.
I even got Mrs and Youngest Astro to do some syncronized skiing.
Get some good skiing in while you can. A storm is predicted Wed, Thurs, Fri dumping a meter on Kirkwood and I assume the other Tahoe resorts will get plenty too. And the good news is the predicted base temps will be around -5C. The skiing till Wed and from Sat will be awesome. Enjoy.
1.5m+ for Tahoe area over next 10 days. And no Sierra Cement there.
Can you ship some snow over to Australia @Astro66
I do not put a lot of faith into forecasts but this is a long range prediction. There is another bigger storm right after the one coming in Wed, Thurs, Fri. So starting Sunday, with only a Sat respite from the heavy snowing conditions, Kirkwood will get up to another 2 meters of new snow and cold conditions with -5C at the base!! Other Tahoe resorts should be similar with maybe 75% of those snow fall numbers. Just wow.
Most of the North America weather folk I know are saying this is a longer term pattern with much higher precipitation than the last couple of years for California. I would expect 1m dumps every couple of days for at least the next couple of weeks.
Have fun tomorow guys. Lots of pics while the rest of team VM suffers in the Aussie heat.
Friggin' global warming!
How seriously are the Caltrans chain requirements enforced? I notice that all roads form the west into Tahoe appear to have chain requirements, and that most rental agencies do not permit chains on their cars.
I think they are enforced. I would not go up if there are chains required and you didn't have them. I am in San Francisco and it rained hard last night and it is coldish. So I bet it snowed a lot in the Sierras last night.
Drove back from Heavenly yesterday (in our 2WD car) and they had a road block to check for chains so yes they enforce it. Rental companies do indeed not allow you to use chains on the car so what we did was use them anyway. The drive was less hairy than I thought, considering the amount of snow on the road...
Have the authorities taken all @Astro66 's cameras off him?
Maybe booted him off the mountain because of his outfit.
@greggz - did you hire chains, & if so where and how much? Or did you buy your own?
I hope he tells people he's from new zealand
Come back !
Things may have changed, but a few years ago the concept of hiring chains had not reached the US. Most auto accessory shops and petrol stations around the mountains sell them for not a lot of bucks. They won't take them back, even if unused. I tried (other shops might - just not the shop I bought from).
I did sears on my last road trip and they took them back, but that was a long time ago.
Good thoughts. I was taking a different route back, so bought in some hick town close to Yosemite.
Well if Astro has gone AWOL I will give an update from San Francisco. It has rained on and off now for 36 hours. Early this morning a few elevated freeways got closed because of flooding. Cold enough for some slusshy snow on the Oakland hills which are like the Dandenongs in Melbourne. Now that would translate to maybe -5C max at the base of Heavenly and maybe -12C or lower at the summit, meaning the snow will be dry. I would slso expect there to be another 3 feet of fresh up there over the past few days. So many roads might be closed. This last storm is almost over with maybe just another foot of snow left in it, only!! Then the forecast is sunny for the next week. Skiing will be epic up there. Bummer I have to be in LA this week. But will be up there the following week. But where is Astro?
Sorry guys for the lack of reports. Just been flat out.
I have heaps pics of epic snow at heavenly. Skied down The Firetrail and under the gondola. It was a 20 min ski in waist deep powder and maybe 2 other tracks down. Just awesome.
I'll get some better photos up when I get home. But here's some from the Firetrail and under the Gondola.
Lucky duck. And it looks like it will warm up by the 30th Jan. How more longer are you there Astro?
I'm at SFO. Last ski day yesterday.
Okay, have enjoyed your photos.
I enjoyed your posts thanks.
Loved the report and photos @Astro666. Hope you post more from the last few days too, and safe travels home. Looks Iike you had a great time. Much problem with lifts on windhold?
I can't wait to get there, I just hope that all the heavy snow doesn't cause a lot of windhold too. We had a few days last year as well. You picked a fantastic couple of weeks. This was one of the chairlift poles at Heavenly a couple of days ago, from the Heavenly website
yep, thanks for reports and pix @Astro
Yep just awesome for the other skiers!! The couldn't see your ski pants!
Sorry for the delay. Flat out as well (have just done a few wonderful days in SFO after Heavenly). We bought the chains (well, they were cables) for about US$40 at Walmart. Didn't look too hard for hire places, they may exist.
Apparently cheaper online: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Winter-Track-Passenger-Car-Tire-Cables/19853269
These don't come with the rubber tighteners (why???) so don't forget t buy those as well.
When we got to SFO, we gave them to the vallet people at our hotel rather than just throwing them out. I guess you could take them home if you thought you might use them on your own car.
Re Walmart for returning unused chains you can return them at any Walmart, doesn't have to be the same one they were purchased from.
We have a hire car from Dollar, and have read that they have hire chains for $35. I wrote to them to check, but haven't received a reply, but the Walmart option is a good fallback.
I've been in a bit of a panic in the last few days. I'd started to pack, and couldn't find my passport. We turned the house upside down, but there was no sign of it. I bit the bullet and applied for a replacement with priority processing, and the Aus Post bods recommended travelling from Geelong to the passport office to pick it up, as it can take a week via the post. Anyhow the tracking on the passport site shows that it has been printed and just has to be checked (should happen tomorrow), so I can pick it up on Monday (we leave Thursday night). So of course when I started to pack the computer bag, there was the old passport in a concealed pocket. So now I also need a new ESTA as well after I had just renewed them too.
Dollar will not rent you chains or ski racks. I pre-ordered. They told me at the counter, no. Just use walmart cable chains. As Greggz said. Don't forget the tensioners. Only $6. Cables will fall off first corner without them. Or worse , destroy the car's guards.
Bear in mind that any damage to the car with the chains, is uninsured. Use with caution. I drove out of Tahoe without them to reduce possibility of damage, but it was real sketchy. Our friends who hired a 4WD, drove off the road into a ditch.
I did use them in Northstar, but the snow was so deep on the road, my bumper kept hitting the snow in the middle of the road, snapping the clips at the side of the bumper, where they clip into the guards. I patched the car back together several times, then just outside the rental return. They didn't pick up anything. Though I do have zero excess.
Better to realise and replace it now than in a few days' time. Hope it's ready for you ASAP next week.
All printed but the info in the email says 2 days before collection. I checked the website & it says available for collection on Monday. Will have to go up on Tuesday though, as we are "supposed" to get an NBN connection on Monday.