Trip Report Astro's do Tahoe

Discussion in 'United States' started by Astro66, Jan 4, 2017.

Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

ROFLROFLROFL

Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

I hope it's not in the skin tracks :p

:out:

:thumbs: Astro66 likes this.
    greggz

greggz Active Member

Woohoo! I'll take that as gospel! Very excited! :woohoo:

:thumbs: Kletterer, K_Bird and Astro66 like this.
    snowtyres

snowtyres Active Member Season Pass Gold

rime noreason

rime noreason Dedicated Member

The poor locals. They’ve just been hit by this blizzard, then just as they’re recovering they’ll be hit by you two ;)

I hope Ben’s knee is OK. If it had to happen and cause the cancellation of your Zermatt trip, then this isn’t a bad year for it. A lot of European resorts seems to be struggling, while other parts like Rome, Greece amongst others, have snow and freezes way beyond average. Family currently in Rome says it’s bitterly cold and everything is frozen solid!

I’ll be at Lake Tahoe from Feb 16. I was planning to spend half there, then head to Colorado in early March. I might just stick to Tahoe and hop from resort to resort around there. This is Tamarack Lodge at the top of the Gondola. We won’t be having drinks there for awhile.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2bf7aa0e8353d381ceedd7fe407511e4&oe=58D97EBB

[​IMG] [​IMG]

rime noreason

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

I have just this minute decided to go to Iceland and Germany from the 13th Feb till 1st March on a non skiing trip. Ben is going to Nicaragua from around the 10th to the 20th Feb. Sooo we will be sking Tahoe before you arrive (I hope it is stll there for you after our visit :eek:) and then early March. Maybe we can catch up then. Colorado, Utah and Wyoming are getting good snow too but not in epic amounts like Tahoe. However it is drier snow. Lets chat in late Feb to see if we are around in the same place in early March to we can cause havoc together! :D

:thumbs: rime noreason likes this.
    Harper11

Harper11 Addicted Member

You can say that again

:thumbs: JoeKing likes this.
    Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Bloody shitware on an Android tablet :mad:. Not my bloody fault. But I was able to delete the 2 duplicate posts. They were only for rime noreason anyway.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Turns out the issue is with the website. People can not load photos, people having duplicate posts etc. Maybe the epic Tahoe snow has buried the software!

jgm

jgm Active Member

I'm keeping an eye on the road closures. There seems to be a heap of chain warnings all around Tahoe, and they're mainly for all but 4WD with SNOW tyres. As we are picking up the car in LA I doubt we will get anything better than all weather tyres, and it looks like rentals don't allow chains. Fortunately we have a few days at both ends to get from/to LA.

I've been following the Heavenly situation, & it looks like they've been having some serious power issues as well. Fingers crossed that it all settles down in the 3 weeks before we arrive. It seems diabolical that they haven't been able to fully open in the past few years due to not enough snow, and now there is too much.

greggz

greggz Active Member

We're leavin'
    On a jet plane!
    See you soon, Steveo!

Astro666

Astro666 Member Season Pass Silver

Just got to Heavenly. Stardust Lodge is beautiful. 50 metres from gondola. Room is great. Thanks @rime noreason for the reference. Kenny says he has your wine.

Blackout day today. So on first lifts tomorrow. See you in the evening.

Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member

Too bad, I'm back in boring Aus. Have fun...

:thumbs: Astro666 likes this.
    Astro666

Well ........... what a glorious day. Sun and Scenery was just breath taking. As Greggz and his ski buddy weren't showing up till tonight. Mrs Astro called a family day. And Heavenly delivered.

I even got Mrs and Youngest Astro to do some syncronized skiing.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Get some good skiing in while you can. A storm is predicted Wed, Thurs, Fri dumping a meter on Kirkwood and I assume the other Tahoe resorts will get plenty too. And the good news is the predicted base temps will be around -5C. The skiing till Wed and from Sat will be awesome. Enjoy.

Jellybeans1000

1.5m+ for Tahoe area over next 10 days. And no Sierra Cement there.
    Can you ship some snow over to Australia @Astro66 LOL

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

I do not put a lot of faith into forecasts but this is a long range prediction. There is another bigger storm right after the one coming in Wed, Thurs, Fri. So starting Sunday, with only a Sat respite from the heavy snowing conditions, Kirkwood will get up to another 2 meters of new snow and cold conditions with -5C at the base!! Other Tahoe resorts should be similar with maybe 75% of those snow fall numbers. Just wow.

Jellybeans1000

Most of the North America weather folk I know are saying this is a longer term pattern with much higher precipitation than the last couple of years for California. I would expect 1m dumps every couple of days for at least the next couple of weeks.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Have fun tomorow guys. Lots of pics while the rest of team VM suffers in the Aussie heat.

:thumbs: Astro666, Lady Penelope and Normo like this.
    Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Season Pass Gold

Friggin' global warming!

jgm

jgm Active Member

How seriously are the Caltrans chain requirements enforced? I notice that all roads form the west into Tahoe appear to have chain requirements, and that most rental agencies do not permit chains on their cars.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

I think they are enforced. I would not go up if there are chains required and you didn't have them. I am in San Francisco and it rained hard last night and it is coldish. So I bet it snowed a lot in the Sierras last night.

:thumbs: BillyKidd likes this.
    greggz

greggz Active Member

Drove back from Heavenly yesterday (in our 2WD car) and they had a road block to check for chains so yes they enforce it. Rental companies do indeed not allow you to use chains on the car so what we did was use them anyway. The drive was less hairy than I thought, considering the amount of snow on the road...

[​IMG]

BillyKidd

BillyKidd Well-Known Member

DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Have the authorities taken all @Astro66 's cameras off him? ;)

:thumbs: Kletterer and Normo like this.
    Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Maybe booted him off the mountain because of his outfit. :D

:thumbs: Ted Harper likes this.
    jgm

jgm Active Member

@greggz - did you hire chains, & if so where and how much? Or did you buy your own?

parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

I hope he tells people he's from new zealand

DidSurfNowSki

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Things may have changed, but a few years ago the concept of hiring chains had not reached the US. Most auto accessory shops and petrol stations around the mountains sell them for not a lot of bucks. They won't take them back, even if unused. I tried (other shops might - just not the shop I bought from).

DidSurfNowSki

Walmart.

Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

I did sears on my last road trip and they took them back, but that was a long time ago.

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Good thoughts. I was taking a different route back, so bought in some hick town close to Yosemite.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Well if Astro has gone AWOL I will give an update from San Francisco. It has rained on and off now for 36 hours. Early this morning a few elevated freeways got closed because of flooding. Cold enough for some slusshy snow on the Oakland hills which are like the Dandenongs in Melbourne. Now that would translate to maybe -5C max at the base of Heavenly and maybe -12C or lower at the summit, meaning the snow will be dry. I would slso expect there to be another 3 feet of fresh up there over the past few days. So many roads might be closed. This last storm is almost over with maybe just another foot of snow left in it, only!! :D Then the forecast is sunny for the next week. Skiing will be epic up there. Bummer I have to be in LA this week. :(:cry: But will be up there the following week. :) But where is Astro?

:thumbs: rime noreason and Astro66 like this.
    Astro666

Sorry guys for the lack of reports. Just been flat out.

I have heaps pics of epic snow at heavenly. Skied down The Firetrail and under the gondola. It was a 20 min ski in waist deep powder and maybe 2 other tracks down. Just awesome.

I'll get some better photos up when I get home. But here's some from the Firetrail and under the Gondola.

Jellybeans1000

Lucky duck. And it looks like it will warm up by the 30th Jan. How more longer are you there Astro?

Astro666

I'm at SFO. Last ski day yesterday.

Jellybeans1000

Okay, have enjoyed your photos.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

I enjoyed your posts thanks.

rime noreason

Loved the report and photos @Astro666. Hope you post more from the last few days too, and safe travels home. Looks Iike you had a great time. Much problem with lifts on windhold?

I can't wait to get there, I just hope that all the heavy snow doesn't cause a lot of windhold too. We had a few days last year as well. You picked a fantastic couple of weeks. This was one of the chairlift poles at Heavenly a couple of days ago, from the Heavenly website

[​IMG]

:thumbs: Johnb007 and Froff Life like this.
    BillyKidd

BillyKidd Well-Known Member

yep, thanks for reports and pix @Astro

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Yep just awesome for the other skiers!! The couldn't see your ski pants! :p:p