annual pass for Kosiuszko national park

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by WaitAwhile, May 11, 2012.

WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member

It has been 16 looong years since I last purchased one ,and the brain is a bit fuzzy .
    We were planning to head over to Perisher for 3 to 4 weeks in September and staying in Jindy,we will have a W.A drivers lic and will not be using our own car.
    The plan was to get one over the counter at the npws visitor centre in Jindy,but wanted to know from other people that have bought them there, do they need to sight proof of ownership of the car or do a online search of who is the registered owner
    Shrek

Shrek Old And Crusty Moderator

last time i bought one all they wanted was the rego number
    damian

damian Addicted Member

I bought one last year with a rental car. They wrote "rental" or something on the ticket and signed it.
    Kunama

Kunama New Member

You just have to nominate the rego number for the full price pass. ($190 per annum) includes entry to all NSW Parks for 12 months.
    You can only tranfer the pass to another vehicle if you can prove that you owned it at the time you bought the pass and you have sold that vehicle and are transferring it to another that you own.

You can buy it online or if you are in Jindy just get it over the counter at the Visitor Info Centre. Online purchases take about 10 days for the pass to get to you. You can also buy them at the park entry.

(Local residents, don't forget you are entitled to a reduced annual rate !!!!!) (You get that for putting up with the tourists ! lol.)
    Ben

Ben Dedicated Member

^^ Tourists that bring money into your community thus supplying you with work... You would be crying out for them if they didn't come I bet [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Jamesc

Jamesc Active Member

What does one need to do to get a reduced rate pass?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

Permanent residency only with the likes of a council rates statement as proof along with other proof.
    Jamesc

Jamesc Active Member

hrms we have the rates notice for our place, but only use it as a weekender, maybee ill have to change my drivers lic address
    Kunama

Kunama New Member

To get the locals discount you have to live here, also you have to have your drivers licence and your car rego in a local address also. Then the $190 drops to $85 per annum.

If you live outside the local area you can have a 50% discount for a second pass, this pass is for a vehicle also in your name and address and it falls due on the same day as the first one.

Ben : ^^ Tourists that bring money into your community thus supplying you with work... You would be crying out for them if they didn't come I bet
    We appreciate every dollar you guys bring here, we really do ! Honest. j/k
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    Kunama

Kunama New Member

A little secret for all the tourists:

Did you know that Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra, Cooma, Bredbo also a re classed as local area and can get the reduced rate KNP Pass.
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Hi waitawhile, as regular from WA, and a car renter, we have the process down pat.

You have to get a letter from NSW Office of Environment and Heritage beforehand stating that you are from WA and driving a rental car.

the annual pass is issued for your WA car, and then, with the letter in hand, you collect (and pay for) a sticker from the Snowy Region visitors Centre in Jindy, who manually write the rental car rego on the sticker.

then each time you travel within that 12 months, repeat the process.

if you pm me, I can give you all the contacts etc
    damian

damian Addicted Member

Perhaps I got lucky, but I did not require any paper work at all with my rental car.
    gareth_oau

ah damian, perhaps its because we plan to use the pass more than once, where the rego will be different each time
    damian

damian Addicted Member

Understood, thanks G.
    WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member

Thanks for that info Gareth ,I will send you a pm shortly
    I have been scratching my head for years on how to get around this problem ,as we go there quite frequently ,even in summer and it can be a pain in the arse even if we just want to go up to Thredbo or Guthega for lunch,I went into the info centre once to explain our problem but they were not much help. In winter we stick with Perisher as it normally has better coverage in early Sept and the crowds are tolerable ,and just love the variety..... and blue skies . We got the freedom passes with skitube this year ,but I do like taking the car up ,just gives us more flexibility with what to wear and still wearing 9 year old skiboots that don't really fit anymore ,so the quicker I can get out of them at the end of the day the better.
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

To get out of your ski boots quicker get a locker.
    gareth_oau

waitawhile, offtopic, but I presume you will be coming and meeting us all at the WASTED season opening party on 9th June?
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

I have had an annual pass twice in the past. The girls at the booth heading up to Thredbo had a little chat about what they could do and simply issued it attached to my WA. Drivers Licence rather than the car rego. It meant getting a stick on pass each separate time at presentation of the documents to the booth, but no stopping in Jindy or pre organisation. It would however be chancy as to whether you got a real nice accommodating person and no queue behind you to put pressure on them or not.

I might follow Gareths method this year!
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

What $190 for season pass to KNP.!!??

My how prices have soared.And amazing paperwork to go thro.

Head to Stoneytops or Camp Mulhe no rigorous paperwork to negiotate.No fees just clear the track as required.
    And no booze /drug buses causing commuters large delays!!!
    Hey you even get to make decesions if chains are required and park vehicle where you like!!

The family friendly backcountry of Feathertop and Bogong! [​IMG]
    gareth_oau

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MB, you had a golden opportunity for an apostrophe there and you missed it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook Dedicated Member

That's because its not a pass for just KNP but for entry to ALL NSW parks.
    What is ridiculous is there are options to buy annual passes to enter other NSW parks for a lot less, but you can;t buy a pass just for KNP
    The only way to get a KNP annual pass is to buy a pass for all parks.
    Mr. Mook

oh and the extra paper work is only for out of staters etc.
    All you have to do for a normal annual pass is give them the rego number of the car the sticker is to go on
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

Meh.. IPad. It's an extra step unless it does it automatically for me. Sorry the iPad doesn't recognize you. ;-)
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

Well its about time that KNP annual passes were restored.
    Why are consumer affairs groups so weak on this.

It should be possible to buy an Annual Pass for KNP only.
    Why are Forum Members tolerating such bullsh++ from KNP. [​IMG]
    featherplucker

featherplucker Active Member

Just got my annual pass in the mail today - that's an awfully expensive piece of 10x10cm paper.
    Mr. Mook

agree 100%.
    why should people who only use KNP subsidise other parks but not vice-versa?
    People living in Broken Hill are extremely unlikely to visit KNP and can buy a cheap annual pass for their local parks but no-one living near KNP can do the same.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Bought one last season & didn't do enough visits to break even.
    We alternate two cars , one had the annual pass.
    Pity it's not transferrable, based on Owner rather than Rego No. Will just use day passes this year.
    Mr. Mook

I usually get the annual pass and regularly visit other parks, improving its value.
    But this year i will get more than enough value just from KNP alone as i should be there at least 10 days - as well as visiting other parks
    gareth_oau

if you contact KNP and advise you have one pass for your car and will be travelling in your other car, they will issue a temporary permit for that car under the same annual pass
    person s

person s Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Do you have any evidence that this is true?
    The scale of commerce and general human impact at KNP would suggest otherwise.
    ladycamper

ladycamper Active Member

I have 2 avenues available to me to use KNP and never pay the entry fee.

1 is I hitchhike into the national park, or in Victoria, the alpine resort, so am entering on someone else's pass; or

2 as I am a certain class of beneficiary I have an exemption card for National Park fees. This is more useful if I have firm travel arrangements with others. What happens then is they will not have to pay a national park entry fee. Its good for bushwalking shared travel too. The only requirement is I have to be with them on the way in and out, in case a ranger asks as its a condition of the exemption that I am carried in the vehicle.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

thanks Gareth I try that.
    Mr. Mook

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/annualpass/WhichAnnualPassShouldIBuy.htm
    Multipark pass for all parks except KNP - $65
    All parks pass including KNP - $190
    Therefore $65 of the annual pass is allocated for parks other than KNP
    I am fairly certain that more people visit KNP than any other park ,except perhaps the Royal NP. But you can get an annual pass for the Royal NP for only $22.
    Why not KNP?
    person s

person s Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

I don't see your 'therefore', sorry.
    But anyway, you've only shown that there are different prices, and perhaps there is an inconsistency in the calculation.
    I might have thought you meant to prove that the funds raised in KNP cross-subsidised the other parks.
    Shona_Ski

Shona_Ski New Member

Does renting qualify as living down here?
    HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

Yes, but you will need utility accounts etc as proof. I believe seasonal resort workers get a staff pass?
    Shona_Ski

Shona_Ski New Member

That's fine, yeah i'm not sure about the seasonal resort workers.
    brink

brink Active Member

I'm driving to jindy via alpine way, 4 days skiing pv/threaders then driving back to vic next day. Will this mean 6 x $27 = $162 or isn't the pass needed if just travelling thru?
    Many thnx in anticipation.
    SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew Dedicated Member

If you are driving through I believe you don't need the pass. But are you planning on skiing Thredbo/Perisher and driving there - coz if so you will need a pass for those days.
    brink

brink Active Member

Yep - driving up frm jindy each day. Understand this bit as did this two years ago but flew in to Canberra that time.
    waylow

waylow Active Member

If you park in the park, you need a pass.
    brink

brink Active Member

Ok thks.
    So one can travel west thru check point if not stopping at thredbo?
    Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Active Member

Man I just added ski tube to my freedom pass for $60 and I remember thinking bad luck u rip off KNP

I always bought a season park pass since the middle seventies until about 2005 when these massive price hikes started to happen as I considered them to be constructive for national parks, but now they are just about how much can we charge and how little do we need to provide.

Don't forget they also take a percentage of all transactions in the park as well as bed taxes. They certainly add to the cost of skiing in Australia and should take Perisher's lead in trying to get numbers back by offering a better deal, after all without the skiers and boarders their income would dramatically reduce
    climberman

climberman Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Yep, if you're driving through the Alpine Way to Jindy, not stopping in the Park, no fee is payable. The fee is for Park entry, not road use. It's collected by NPWS, not the RMS.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

You can drive through either way without a pass. We drive to Melbourne and the Vic ski resorts this way quite often without a pass summer and winter. One time we had to stop at the park entry because they had the drive through lane closed and they gave us a free pass to put on the windscreen for driving through. Coming from Khankoban (??spelling) there is nowhere to get a pass till you are leaving the national park and you can drive straight through.

BTW compared the Vic ski resort passes NSW ones are very reasonably priced.
    LaNeige

LaNeige Active Member

There is a Parks Office that sells passes at Khancoban off the Alpine Way in Scott St if you need it.

Agreed on the cost of Vic vs NSW; the cost of a season Pass for KNP $190 cost for Buller (just Buller) $265.
    brink

brink Active Member

Thank-you all. Completely cleared up.
    Skirulz

Skirulz New Member

$190 equates to 7 trips to the snows.... at $27 each time making it more expensive to ski australia at $27 everytime u enter the park. Makes more sense to put that $190 towards a ski holiday overseas for 1-2 weeks....
    Mr. Mook

$190 = 15 days in KNP and 1 day in Morton NP for an average of just under $12 per day.
    That's just since May this year.
    Still have several more trips to Morton NP, Royal NP and KNP to do before it expires next May.

Fully expect to end up averaging $5 or less per day in NSW parks.

All depends on how you use it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    ladycamper

ladycamper Active Member

I have a NPWS exemption card as a beneficiary, so there is no fee to any national park including KNP. All I have to do is take it in any vehicle in which I am entering the national park. With KNP I have to present it at the visitor centre or gate to receive a pass specific to the vehicle for the number of days for the visit, with other national parks leave it on the dashboard. I have made use of it a few times, despite not actually having a vehicle.