Angkor Archaelogical Park.

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by markopolo, Apr 27, 2012.

markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident Season Pass Gold

Just a general warning, there is no Snow or snow sports in this thread. [​IMG]

Just lots of pics of old things.

Angkor Archaeological Park contains the remains of several capitals of the Khmer Empire of the 9th to the 15th centuries, including the largest pre-industrial city in the world. It covers about 400 square kilometers if you count the jungle in between them.

Angkor itself has no accommodations and few facilities; the nearby town of Siem Reap, just 6 km. south, is the tourist hub for the area. Siem Reap is the home of the Happy Hour that runs from 9 am in the morning until forever, including the ubiquitous 50 cent draft beer.

The first pics are from the Bayon,b uilt in the latter part of the 12th century by King Jayavarman VII, Bayon is one of the most widely recognised temples in Siem Reap because of the giant stone faces that adorn the towers of Bayon. There are 54 towers of four faces each, totaling 216 faces.Not all of them intact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    markopolo

There is still a debate as to who is being depicted in the faces. It could be Avalokiteshvara, Mahayana Buddhism's compassionate Bodhisattva, or perhaps a combination of King Jayavarman VII and Buddha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Bayon was my favourite. So should have gone there for sunrise instead of Ankor Wat. I cant see you pics at work but i'll check them against mine to see if there are any you've missed and i'll put them up tonight. Massive day there, so hot, i've never sweated so much in my life.

markopolo

The bas reliefs and carvings are extensive and tell some great pictorial stories of the highs and lows of the kingdom.
    [​IMG]

markopolo

Nnorthwest of the Bayon, the Baphuon is supposed to represent Mount Meru (sacred to Hinduism), and was one of the largest and grandest structures in Angkor. Built into the western face of the Baphuon is a giant reclining Buddha, added in the 16th century after the region converted from Hinduism to Buddhism.
    [​IMG]

markopolo

Verm, it was hot when we were there but not too bad. We had a great guide for the three days, so we took our time and he had a great ability to arrive at place before or after the tourist buses! If anyone wants his name just PM.

markopolo

Ta Prohm. Built during the time of king Jayavarman VII and is best known as the temple where trees have been left intertwined with the stonework, much as it was uncovered from the jungle. It might be considered in a state of disrepair but there is a strange beauty in the marvelous strangler fig trees which provide a stunning display of the embrace between nature and the human . This is one of the most popular temples after Angkor Wat and the Bayon because of the beautiful combinations of wood and stone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

I know the place is over 900 years old but I didnt expect to see a carving of a Stegasaurus!!!
    [​IMG]

markopolo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

Banteay Srey, 37 km north of Angkor Wat. This red colored temple is well known for its intricate carvings, and is worth a half day trip on its own, since it is a bit further from Siem Reap than the main Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat areas, but really worth it. It is closer to 1000 years old and the condition of the carvings is amazing. If it was in Australia, we would have built a roof over the thing to protect it !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

There was a girl in the entry bridge with dreadfull burns, begging. I spoke to the guide because there is a Rotary program that helps in cases like that with reconstructive surgery provided free and rehab as well. He told me that several groups of people had made similar suggestions in the past but her parents won't let her be done.....she is the primary breadwinner ! So Sad.

Donza

Donza Pool Room

Great pics MP

I see no pics from Helicopters..

Obviously no contributing to the Donza retirement fund...

[​IMG]

markopolo

I did see some signs for flights Donza !!! [​IMG]

markopolo

Beng Mealea, 80 km east of Siem Reap. Along with Ta Phrom and others, this is a temple which has been left to nature, but unlike Ta Phrom only a few trees have been removed. The result is the visitor clambering over ruined walls (exactly the sort of thing you are asked not to do at other ruins!) and through windows to get access to areas where nature is running riot. Lots of trees growing out of walls, and creepers hanging over ruined buildings, and consequently great for some atmospheric photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

conradskis

conradskis Dedicated Member

I should report this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    markopolo

Five entrance gates, one at each ordinal compass point and the Victory Gate in the east wall. The western and the northern gate are free from tourists, and climatic. Each of the gates is topped by the face of Avalokitesvara. There is a path on top of the walls, and one along the outside wall, that can be followed to walk from gate to gate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this pic, the old and the new Khmer.
    [​IMG]

Donza

Donza Pool Room

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Donza

Donza Pool Room

expand

markopolo

Angkor Wat itself, its huge and in amazingly good condition.

We took a tuk tuk out in the early morning darkness with our guide leading the way by torch ( he had a fair bit of Harry Butler in him I reckon, as he identified all the sounds in the dark !).

We took up a position so we could watch the sunrise, and it didnt disappoint !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

With the sun shining on the sandstone it glowed.

Our hotel had packed us a picnic breakfast and we spread a cloth over several blocks of sandstone and ate while watching the temple complex come to light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

markopolo

To finish a few randoms from about the place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a bridge on the way to Siem Reap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wodonga Josh

Wodonga Josh Part of the Furniture

Was there nearly 4 years ago now.......blows your mind in the flesh.

BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Beautiful images.
    Was lucky enough to chaperone a team of students to Cambodia a few years ago. We worked at a school on the fringes of PnomPhen for a couple of weeks laying pavers for the the occupational therapist (school was for limbless kids) before heading to Siem Reap for some touristy stuff.
    thankyou for the memory refresh.

bdenny4

bdenny4 Dedicated Member

Was there in January 2005 and then again in October 2008
    It was amazing the change that happened during that period - I can but imagine how Siem Reap has progressed further since 2008.
    Sihanoukville, down South on the beach, is a great little spot to chill out after visiting the temples - many bars and eating places set up along the beachfront on the sand at night.

Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Well-Known Member

I went there. If this was in Australia it would have been knocked down to build some cube shaped steel and glass apartments that only rich people with negative gearing could afford.

Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Well-Known Member

I spent a week in the Angkor area and visited Angkor Watt twice. Kbal Spean ( spelling ?) in the jungle with the carving of the shiv lingas on the river bed stone was worth the trip out there.I went as a passenger on a motor bike.
    I also enjoyed visiting the Khmer ruins in NE Thailand. Laos has a UNESCO listed Khmer temple complex in the south of Laos which is will visit one day.